Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rather than mangle the PHB by paraphrasing it, I'll let it do its talking. Click here for the primer!

Welcome, you land lubbers, to the 7th Sea! Set in the world of Thean, 7th Sea is a game of intrigue and adventure where the world is similar to our own in the 15th century. Richly dressed nobles, swashbuckling pirates, driven archaeologists, and low-down scoundrels populate the many nations, alongside those blooded in the mystic arts. Every nation holds its own style of combat and sorcerery, and secret societies are scattered about the globe, training those they see fit and doing what they can to affect the politics of the world beyond the limitations of religion and national lines.

Released by AEG, 7th Sea is a d10 system similar to the Legend of the Five Rings, but combat has been altered to be more theatrical and less 'gently caress you' lethal. With rules for swinging on chandeliers to attack and dramatic parries that give you a combat advantage, 7S is made to be a fun romp through combat, where one man can take down 4 with ease. Wounds are calculated first as Flesh Wounds, and then Dramatic Wounds, where Dramatic Wounds are those where the audience would gasp or cheer, depending on who's wounding and who's wounded.

Character creation is similar to L5R, where character points at creation are spent on Traits, Skills, and Knacks. Traits are you stats; they govern the effectiveness of your skills, and the lowest number you have on them will affect your Drama Dice. Drama dice are similar to Void/Fate/Action Points in L5R/RT/4e, in that you can use them to reroll or improve the effectiveness of an action. I can get into that more later, but now, here are the five traits:

Brawn: A measure of your character's strength and endurance
Finesse: Your coordination and agility.
Resolve: Your willpower, and determination.
Wit: How quickly you can think on your feet.
Panache: That special something that sets your hero apart from the mundane.

The maximum you can purchase in a trait at creation is 3, though nation bonuses may push you up to 4. Maximum, without Legendary Trait advantages, is 5.

Skills are what allow you access to Knacks, which are typically what you will use in and out of combat. A skill is not ranked, but knacks are; purchasing a knack will let you keep more dice for that action, so if you purchase two ranks of Jab from Pugilism with 3 Brawn, you will roll 3 and keep 2, which is notated as 3k2. This is the common notation for the game, so keep it in mind! Also, buying skills gets you rank 1 in all of the knacks unless otherwise noted, and if you purchase another skill with similar knacks, the duplicates will all be bumped to 2, but only at character creation, and ONLY up to 2.

To get everyone started, I will give you a Destiny Draw, which nets you two Arcana cards to choose from (a virtue and a hubris), as well as a past, present, and future for your character to give them some starter stuff and help flesh them out. All I need to know is what nation you're from and we're golden.

Arcana are very special advantages and flaws that affect your character, and are called Virtue and Hubris. Virtues are the positive aspects of your hero such as Altruism, and cost 10 HP, and will typically swing something in your favor, such as making an NPC like you more for your good deeds. Hubrises are usually negative, and while some will give you a benefit, usually this will be outweighed by how NPCs react to you or how you will be forced to do something that you, as a player, don't think is a good idea. Example: Recklessness will make you immune to fear, but you will be unable to run away from something that will, obviously, gently caress you up without assistance, whereas the rest of the crew is scrambling away while you are punching the kraken in the balls.

An Eisen male knocking the poo poo out of a bald dude with his PANZERHAND.

What I'm going to need here is a team of 5 made from 100 Hero Points, of any skillset or ability, and a consensus on your ship, which I will allow up to 15 points to spend on; you guys don't have to buy the ship yourself, it'll be provided. I will provide more background detail of the campaign as needed, and if you need any help rolling your dude, or if you need the community created start up sheet (which will help you make your dude and give you a plethora of options,) then you can find me in #acolyte on Synirc.net.

Let's get to the sorcery and swashbucklin' already!

A sample of swashbuckling and apparently sorcery.

RESOURCES
Character Creation Handbook - Community created quick-start for character creation
Swordsman School Handbook - Community created guide detailing all of the swordsman schools, their starting skills and knacks, et al.
Sorcery School Handbook - Same as above, but for magic!

CURRENT APPLICANTS BY NATION

Vendel/Vesten
Sormus - Eir (Vesten)
Astus - Jan (Vendel)
Ronwayne - Diana (Vendel)

Castille
Vulpes Vulpes - Clavo
EclecticTastes - Alfonso
Sormus - Santiago

Montaigne
Ferrosol - Pierre
Epicurius - Joseph

Avalon
Waci - Elaine
Sledra - Cal

Vodacce
Malikial - Giacomo
Lazy Bear - Vincenzo

Eisen
N/A

Ussura
CaptainCarrot - Anna, Ussuran

Pirate Nations
FireSight - Brandt (Vesten)

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Below are 20 questions recommended by the game to help you flesh out your character; you can use it in place of a bio, and I encourage it!

20 QUESTIONS
1. What country is your hero from?

2. How would you physically describe your hero?

3. Does your hero have recurring mannerisms?

4. What is your hero's main motivation

5. What is your Hero's greatest strength? Greatest weakness?

6. What are your Hero's most and least favorite things?

7. What about your Hero's psychology?

8. What is your Hero's single greatest fear?

9. What are you Hero's highest ambitions? His greatest love?

10. What is your Hero's opinion of his country?

11. Does your Hero have any prejudices?

12. Where do your hero's loyalties lie?

13. Is your hero in love? Is he married or betrothed?

14. What about your hero's family?

15. How would your hero's parents describe him?

16. Is your hero a gentleman or gentlewoman?

17. How religious is your Hero?

18. Is your hero a member of a guild, gentleman's club or secret society?

19. What does your hero think of sorcery?

20. If you could, what advice would you give to your hero?

Here's what you can do with XP in the game:

1. Buy skills. This costs 10 XP, and will require you finding someone to teach you; another crew memeber will work. Note, that while getting skills with crossing knacks at character creation will raise that those knacks by 1, it does not work that way with learning skills. So say you have Footwork from Athletics, and take Pugilism. At character creation, Footwork would be at 2; now, it'd stay at 1.

2. Buy a background. These costs 3, 6, or 9 XP, depending on how many points you want in it, which determines how important it is to your character. You can only have as many backgrounds as you have panache.

3. Raise a Knack. This costs twice as many XP as the new rank you wish to take it to. It costs 2 XP to go from 0 in a knack to 1, and 4 to go from 1 to 2. Just look at the new rank and double it. There is no extra cost for advanced knacks, unlike character creation.

4. Raise a Trait. This costs FIVE TIMES as many XP as the rank you want to get it to. Going from 0 to 1 is 5 XP, and going from 1 to 2 is 10 XP.

5. Join a Swordsman's School. I will dictate how much this costs, depending on the school and availability of a teacher. The book suggests 50 XP but goddamn that's a wacky number.

I strongly recommend using the Character Handbook to begin with; the other books are spread out and have a lot of lore, and don't include the same kind of tips that the handbook has. The three books above are basically your best ways to learn the game quickly, but the other books do have good lore and more fluff to them!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
SAMPLE SHEET AHOY

Name: Hrof Van Der Mern
Nationality: Vestenmannavnjar
Swordsman School: Leegstra (25 Points)

Traits:
Brawn: 3
Finesse: 2
Resolve: 2
Wits: 2
Panache: 3
(48 Points)

Advantages:
Large (5 points)
Jarl (8 points)
Dangerous Beauty (Destiny Roll)

Hubris:
Loyal (+10 points)

Background:
Ridiculed 2 (Destiny Roll)

Skills:
Hunter(2 Points)
Fishing 4 (2 points)
Skinning 2
Tracking 2

Skald (2 Points)
History 1
Writing 1
Oratory 3 (2 Points)
Singing 1
Storytelling 2 (6 Points)

Heavy Weapons (2 Points)
Attack (Heavy Weapon) 3 (1 Points)
Parry (Heavy Weapon) 3 (1 Points)
Beat (Heavy Weapon) 1
Corps-á-corps 1
Lunge (Heavy Weapon) 1
Exploit Weakness (Leegstra) 1

Wrestling (2 Points)
Grapple 1 (1 Points)
Break 1 (3 Points)

MONEY AND LOOT AND poo poo:
Cape 1g
Boots, Plain 2g
Coat, gentleman's, small 5g
Hat, tricorn 1g
Jacket, fancy, small 3g

Standard Heavy Weapon (First mate, Ship's anchor, small shack, etc) 8g

Grappling Hook 2g
Rope (50ft) 1g
Lantern 2g
Lamp Oil (10 hours worth) 1g
Fancy Compass 5g
Telescope 5g
Giant Backpack 1g

Cash : 463g

Hrolf 20 Questions

I HAIL FROM THE WILDS OF VESTEN, WHERE MY TRIBAL ELDERS SETTLED NEAR A TRADING PORT

HROLF IS KNOWN THROUGHOUT THE TRIBES FOR HIS GRAND STATURE. I WEAR THE FINEST CLOTHING, ALTHOUGH IT HAS BEEN SAID IT IS TOO SMALL I CAN ASSURE YOU MY CLOTHES FIT FINE, AND IT IS EVERYONE ELSE'S CLOTHES THAT ARE TOO LOOSE

HROLF TALKS WITH REGAL BEARING, AND AT A REGAL VOLUME SO THAT ALL MAY HEAR HIS PROCLAIMATIONS

4. What is your hero's main motivation?
TO SPREAD THE NAME OF HROLF VAN DER MERN AND ALLOW AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE TO SEE HIS REGAL BEARING AND MARTIAL PROWESS.

HIS STRENGTH OF COURSE! HROLF THINKS VERY HIGHLY OF HIMSELF, TALKING IN THE THIRD PERSON IN ORDER TO PROPERLY GET ACROSS HIS IMPORTANCE

FINE CLOTHES AND FINER COMPANY. MY LEAST FAVORITE THING IS SPIDERS, THEY WALK IN AN UNNATURAL FASHION.

HROLF WILL NOT HEAR WORDS AGAINST HIS FINE BEARING, AND IS MORE THAN WILLING TO PROVE HIS WORTH MARTIALLY SHOULD IT BE REQUIRED.

8. What is your Hero's sing greatest fear?
THAT I WILL DIE WITH A TALE UNTOLD

TO TAKE DINNER WITH A LORD, AND TO TELL HIM MANY TALES OF MANY THINGS. MY GREATEST LOVE IS THE ARTS AND MY CLOTHING

IT IS FLAWED, TOO MANY REJECT THE OLD WAYS WHEN THE OLD WAYS ARE THOSE THAT BRING GREAT TALES. BUT THEY DO HAVE NICE CLOTHES I SUPPOSE

WHAT NEED IS THERE FOR PREJUDICE WHEN ONE CAN SPREAD HIS TALE TO ALL INSTEAD

WITH MYSELF! HROLF BELIEVES IN HIMSELF!

WHAT USE IS LOVE ASIDE FROM ADDING TO A SAGA? HROLF HAS NO TIME FOR COMMITMENT.

SON TO A GREAT LORD, HROLF HOLDS HIGH STATURE IN A GREAT CLAN IN A GREAT COUNTRY.

MISGUIDED, HROLF'S PARENTS DO NOT SEE THE GOOD IN SPREADING HIS TALES TO THE UNVESTEN OF THE WORLD. BUT HROLF DOES

HROLF IS A FINE GENTLEMAN OF GREAT STATURE

HROLF DOES NOT BELIEVE IN THE WILL OF GODS, BUT IN THE ACTIONS OF MAN

HROLF HOLDS MEMBERSHIP IN THE VESTEN SCHOOL OF MARTIAL PROWESS BUT THAT IS IT. WHAT USE IS THERE FOR SKULKING IN THE SHADOWS WHEN DEEDS SHOULD BE OUT IN THE WORLD TO BE RECORDED.

HROLF BELIEVES IN THE CASTING OF THE RUNES, AS HE HAS SEEN THEIR MAGICS IN ACTION. IT IS A TOOL TO BE USED AS STRENGTH OR WEAPONRY.

GIVE ADVICE TO HIMSELF? THAT REMINDS ME OF A TALE!
THERE WAS ONCE A MAN WHO FOUND HIMSELF WITH A TOUGH DECISION TO MAKE
HE COULD NOT DECIDE HIS COURSE OF ACTION WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN TWO FIGURES APPEARED ON HIS SHOULDERS
THEY TALKED TO HIM AND WEIGHED HIS DECISION FOR HIM
AND HE CHOSE HIS COURSE OF ACTION.
AGAIN HE FOUND HIMSELF WITH A DIFFICULT CHOICE
AND AGAIN THE FIGURES APPEARED

OVER THE YEARS THE FIGURES WOULD APPEAR AGAIN AND AGAIN
AND OVER THE YEARS THEY WOULD APPEAR FOR SMALLER AND SMALLER PROBLEMS
UNTIL ONE DAY
THE MAN FOUND HIMSELF WITH A CHOICE
AND SO HE WAITED FOR THEM TO APPEAR
AND WAITED
AND WAITED
BUT THE FIGURES WOULD NOT COME
AND THE MAN HAD FORGOTTEN TO DECIDE FOR HIMSELF
HE COULD NOT MAKE UP HIS MIND
AND SO HE STARVED
BECAUSE HE COULD NOT DECIDE IF IT WAS BREAKFAST OR LUNCHTIME

THE MORAL OF THIS TALE IS TO TAKE ADVICE FROM OTHERS, BUT NOT TO RELY UPON SUCH ADVICE FOR ONCE YOU BEGIN, YOU CANNOT STOP UNTIL YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A PUPPET.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Name: Eir Starkadrdottir
Nationality: Vestenmannavnjar
Swordsman School/Sorcery Style: Kjemper / Full-Blooded Laerdom

Traits:
Brawn: 2
Wits: 3
Panache: 2
(40 pts)

Money: 1500

Advantages:

-Membership: Swordsman's Guild

Hubris/Virtue:
-Herje die

Background:
True Identity 3-pt
Moment of Awe 2-pt
Traitor Background 3-pt

Skills and Knacks:
Heavy Weapon:
-Attack (Heavy Weapon) 1
-Parry (Heavy Weapon) 1

Shield:
-Attack (Shield) 0
-Parry (Shield) 1

Streetwise:
-Socializing 1
-Street Navigation1
-Scrounging 0
-Shopping 0
-Underworld Lore 0

Skjald
-History 1
-Oratory 1
-Singing 3
-Writing 2
-Diplomacy 0
-Incitation 0
-Riddles 0
-Rune Lore 0
-Storytelling 0
-Theology 0

Kjemper:
-Corps-a-corps 1
-Wall of Steel 1
-Attack(Shield) 0
-Exploit Weakness (Kjemper) 1

Laerdom:
-Bevelgelse ("Empathy") 2
-Styrke ("Strength") 2
-Grenselos ("Unbound") 2
-Stans ("Calm") 1

-Heavy Weapon (Sword of Overcompensating +1)
-Set of plain clothes
-Shield

20 Questions

Eir heils from the northern country of Vestenmannavnjar, the only country in the world that still honours TRADITIONS.

Like most northern women Eir is taller and more muscular than your average european one and years of training and farmwork have sculpted her body as that of a warrior.

.. Bathes regularly, atleast weekly

To bring glory to her clan and to find a great warrior to father her offspring

Eir's greatest strength is being muscular, Greatest weakness is lack of what other countries call femininity.

Bathing and conversing with weak people

Eir is twice than many any girly Vodaccean male and will not suffer any downtalking from girly men.

Dishonour. And very large spiders.

9. What are you Hero's highest ambitions? Her greatest love?
Honour, also honor.

10. What is your Hero's opinion of her country?
Best goddamn country in the world and even if other countries died of plague Vesten would survive

Yes, many.

Firstly to the clan.

Love is irrelevant, only strong children that bring more honour to house are needed.

Eir is oldest child of her family. She has 4 siblings.

15. How would your hero's parents describe her?
Trustworthy, Stoic, A proper Vesten woman

Eir is a daughter of a minor Jarl

Eir is devout believer.

No

Like most Vesten people Eir thinks Laerdom is the only true sorcery and anything else is dark and wrong.

Don't ask Hrolf about anything that might involve a story.

"Who is this?" The rune drawn was Herje. It has a special Hubris, in that any time you spend a drama die, I get an extra drama die for its expenditure. It also has a special virtue, in that you receive a Herje die at the beginning of every Act. It can function as a drama die, but it can also activate a Villain's flaw or prevent him from activating his wile. You can also spend it as a drama die, where the total rolled will be subtracted from a villain's roll.

"What shall be his beginning?" The rune drawn was Uvitenhet. You were adopted, and your true heritage is unknown. You gain a 3-pt True Identity background for free.

"What shall be his journey?" The rune drawn was Fornuft. You have had a glimps of the Seventh Sea, and it has expanded the horizons of your mind. You feel you must find a way to return there. You gain a 2-pt Moment of Awe background.

"What shall be his destination?" The rune drawn was Herje and the elder bickered about if the sack was shaken well enough. Desperate times will call for desperate measures, but some actions are simply unforgivable. (3-pt Traitor Background)

Sormus fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 8, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'll work on a dude when I get home. Some kind of troublemaker/prankster who hangs out with Eir.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Avalon, Falcon, gently caress the Sidhe. Count it.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Sledra posted:

Avalon, Falcon, gently caress the Sidhe. Count it.

Counted. Here's your Destiny Draw:

Strength: The Hermit (Focused Virtue)
Weakness: The Lovers (Star-crossed Hubris)

Past: Two of Cups
Since before you were born, your parents swore that you would be married to the child of their close friends. As you grew to knew her, you fell in love. It was to be a memorable event; even the Goodly Folke gave their blessing to this beautiful union. Unfortunately, a beautiful Unseelie swept through your lives, stealing her, and her love, away. You gain a 3-pt Lost Love Background.

Present: SIx of Cups
You were recently traveling through Avalon and had occasion to help a druid reclaim a holy place frm andits. The druid was very pleased, and in return for your help, he conducted a ritual to give you strength. You begin the game witha Lesser Geas of the GM's choice.

Future: Six of Staves
VIctory comes only after many hardships. (Defeated 1 and Nemesis 1)

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Eventually I will learn how to play this game. I'll take a Destiny Draw.

Edit: Forgot I need to choose a nationality. Uh, I'm split between Ussura and Vendel, so either of those. Or both.

Astus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 8, 2014

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Draw me like one of your Eisen girls.

Edit: also an Avalon one too, you know how it goes.

Waci fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 8, 2014

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Yes.......

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I am making a Vodacce, and I am SO in. Oh my goodness yes. I haven't played 7S in ages. I am ALL over this.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Bets on it making past the bit with the cabbages this time?

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Castille, Vodacce or Montaigne.... Can't decide. Need to read more from the books.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Waci posted:

Bets on it making past the bit with the cabbages this time?

I'm doing what I'm best at now, which is an adventurous romp rather than anything close to a trade sim or anything super heavy investigation.

So pretty high since there is no cabbage smuggling.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Oh cool, I guess I'll have to re-plan my character to accommodate a career in a field inferior to cabbage smuggling. Thanks for crushing dreams, Dyne.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Is that a cabbage in your pants or are you happy to see me?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Okay, time for a Destiny Draw dump; I'm going to do these in order of the book numbers so you may not see all of yours together if you asked for multiple. The list is a work in progress and will update as I type poo poo up.

Waci - Avalon
Strength: The Chariot (Victorious Virtue)
Weakness: Death (Reckless Hubris)

Past: Nine of Staves
When you were very young you were injured badly due to a careless mistake. Since your recovery you have been extremely cautious in everything you do. You begin the game with the Keen Senses Advantage.

Present: Ace of Cups
The Graal represents the Living Covenant between the people of Avalon and the Sidhe. Your blood bears the burden of those ties. You receive a 2-point Sidhe Blood advantage for free.

Future: Six of Cups
Someone from your past will soon knock upon your door. (Sidhe Lover 2-pt Background)

Malikial - Montainge
Strength: The Hermit (Focused Virtue)
Weakness: Terra (Greedy Hubris)

Past: Six of Coins
As a child you shunned your noble playmates, not caring for their shallow machinations. Instead you would sneak out and play with the peasant children. You loved their innocence and zeal for life. You would bring them food, toys, and, when you were older, money. You are well known among the peasantry as charitable and honorable, with their best interests at heart. You receive one extra Reputation die when dealing with commoners.

Present: Six of Staves
You recently visited court and dazzled the nobility with your wit. You were the life of the party. After arriving with the most astonishing attire of the evening, you proceeded to grant a few favors, make a few introductions, and gossip like there was no tomorrow. Your starting Reputation is increased by 5.

Future: Eight of Staves
Do not be afraid of that which is unknown. (2-pt Fear Background)

Waci - Eisen
Strength: The Fool (Propitious Virtue)
Weakness: Death (Reckless Hubris)

Past: Six of Staves
You have performed an act of valor on the field of battle (whether or not you were actually serving in an army at the time.) Receive the Citation Advantage for free, and come up with a story stating exactly what you did to earn it.

Present: Eight of Swords
You were arrested for being involved in an illegal duel, which you won. After a period of two years, you have just been released from prison. You receive the Fencing Skill for free, but have a criminal record.

Future: Six of Swords
Do not travel over water. It will only bring you ruin. (2-pt Curse Background)

Malikial - Castille
Strength: Terra (Worldly Virtue)
Weakness: Judgment (Righteous Hubris)

Past: Six of Cups
You are fascinated by stories of the way things used to be. You gain the Scholar Skill for free, with an extra rank in the History Knack.

Present: Four of Cups
You have recently earned a position within the Church of the Prophets. You gain the Ordained Advantage for free.

Future: Six of Swirds
You shall have an undesired journey over water. (2-pt Pressed Into Service background)

Lazy Bear - Vodacce
Strength: Temperance (Self-controlled Virtue)
Weakness: The Fool (Rash Hubris)

Past: Five of Cups
When you were barely grown up, your parents fell upon hard times and you had to become a courtesan in order to support your family. Your family's finances have since recovered, and you learned a lot from your experiences with Vodacce nobility. You receive the Courtesan Skill and a two point connection for free.

Present: Three of Cups
You have found that building a reputation as a dangerous rebel has increased the number of people pursuing romantic relations with you. You receive both the Scoundrel and Dangerous Beauty Advantages for free.

Future: Five of Coins
Keep your hands off other peoples' property. (2-pt Hunted Background)

Malikial - Vodacce
Strength: The Fool (Propitious Virtue)
Weakness: The Hermit (Overzealous Hubris)

Past: Seven of Cups
When you were born, the Fate Witches were unable to foretell your future, and their powers don't work right on you. This caused them some distress but you've since often used it to your own advantage. When Sorte magic is used on you, roll a die to determine what type of strand the Fate Witch has actually affected (1-2 Cups, 3-4 Coins, 5-6 Swords, 7-8 Staves, 9-0 None.) You do not get a draw for your future.

Present: Ten of Coins
Your family ensured that your education was the most complete they could give you. You receive both the Academy and University Advantages for free.

Future: N/A

Astus - Ussura
Strength: Judgment (Insightful Virtue)
Weakness: The Imperator (Hot-Headed Hubris)

Past: Five of Staves
With five older siblings, you knew you would have to make your own way, so you asked early on for an apprenticeship with a fisherman. You gain the Sailor Skill for free.

Present: Nine of Staves
You’ve been working hard in the fleet for years and your dedication has finally paid off. You gain the Ship Ownership Advantage.

Future: Ace of Staves
Only perseverance will help you find what you’re looking for. (2-pt Hunting Background)

Astus - Vendel - Vendel do not get normal destiny spreads, instead getting a horoscope.
Sun Sign: The constellation the sun was in on the day of your birth is, Anguilla, the Eel (Born between 21 Secundus and 19 Tertius)
Those born under the sign of Anguilla are idealistic, musically talented dreamers. They are often impractical and love quiet places.
Benefit: You have a noted musical talent. You get a Free Raise for all rolls involving music (+5 to the roll).
Hubirses: Indecisive, Star-Crossed
Virtues: Creative, Uncanny

Birth House: The constellation your sign's celestial body, Re, was in on the day of your birth was Anguilla
Anguilla's pull has lured you into a life on the stage. You gain the Peformer Skill for free.

Moon Sign: The constellation the moon was is on the day of your birth was Anguilla
Beware of those who are jealous of your talents. (2-pt Cursed Background)

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 8, 2014

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Ok, thinking of making a character who's a master cabbage smuggler. I mean, this guy can smuggle cabbages like nobody else. He's....<reads the entire thread> Oh. Well, still plan to come up with a character.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'm making a Vesten with the Swanson and Urostifter schools. Old berserker who has adopted a swordcane as his main weapon because oh god knees hurt.

*edit* Damnit, I've been told I can't do this at character creation. So old berserker with Urostifter school it is. I'll pick up a canesword for my aged knees later.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 8, 2014

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

pre:
Name:Elaine Sophia Whitethorn
Nationality: Avalon
Sorcery: Full Blooded Glamour (40p)

Traits: 
(44p)

Hubris: Reckless (+10p)

Advantages:
Secret Society: Sophia's Daughters (5p)
Connection (Informant) (Daughters)
Keen Senses (Destiny)
Noble (5p)
High Avalon accent (op)
Sidhe Blood (Destiny)
-Child of the Sky 
-Slow Aging and Immunity to Disease 
-Appearance: Above Average 
-Good Standing
-Cold Hearted
-Iron Vulnerability
-Gifts 
-Nocturnal 
-Running Water
-Huge Appetite
University (4p)
Apprentice Glamour: The Blessing of Renown

Background: 
Sidhe Lover (2pt, Destiny)
Lost Love (2pt, Cold Hearted)

Languages:
Avalon
Cymric
Thean (2p)

Skills:
Athlete
-Climbing 1
-Footwork 1
-Sprinting 1
-Throwing 1

Archaeologist
-Occult 1
-Research 2
-Society Lore (Explorer's) 1

Bard
-Etiquette 2
-History 2
-Oratory 2
-Singing 1

Courtier
-Dancing 1
-Etiquette 2
-Fashion 1
-Oratory 2

Doctor
-Diagnosis 2
-First Aid 2

Herbalist
-Cooking 1
-Diagnosis 2
-First Aid 2
-Flora 1

Scholar
-History 2
-Mathematics 1
-Philosophy 2
-Research 2

Rahib
-Calligraphy 1
-Chanting 1
-Unobtrusive 1
-Menial Tasks 1
-Philosophy 2
-Writing 1

Streetwise
-Socializing 1
-Street Navigation 1

Glamours
-Queen Maab 1
-Lady of the Lake 1
-Jeremiah Berek 3
-Red Cap 1
-Mad Jack O'Bannon 1

WIP
20 Questions

Avalon

There's a picture up top.

Not really. Taking detours to avoid stepping over gutters during rain, refusing to touch iron, being very fastidious about returning favours and reciprocating gifts, always staying in the shade and carrying an umbrella even when the sky is clear, but that's all normal, right?

Curiosity.

Magic, wits, and charm. None. A lack of martial skill is not a weakness, just a strength she hasn't gotten around to just yet.

New knowledge, new experiences, good food, nice clothes. Dirty illiterates brandishing large bits of iron.

Excited, mostly. Far more afraid of scary things like iron, spiders and
the inquisition than her disregard for personal safety would indicate.

There's no clear winner.

9. What are you Hero's highest ambitions? Her greatest love?
Try everything. Know everything. Right the wrongs in the world.

10. What is your Hero's opinion of her country?
The Glamour Lands are the chosen land.

gently caress Vodacce.

The Daughters and Avalon, in no particular order.

13. Is your hero in love? Is she married or betrothed?
Sort of, no, no. It's not really love, but there's A Thing going on.

Avalon nobles, count and countess of something.

15. How would your hero's parents describe her?
They think she's being a young up and coming nun somewhere rather than partying in Bryn Bresail.

Yes.

Was a nun but then she porked a fairy and quit to go adventuring so I guess not that much after all.

Sophia's Daughters.

The kinds that were gained from the bargain for is evil but not necessarily always used for it. The old kinds like glamour, scrying, shapeshifting, rune magic and so on are cool.

Lower your expectations.

Contacts:
Morgana Evans (1 point Connection advantage)
Morgana is another member of Sophia's Daughters, and a friend of Elaine's. She has helped Elaine before, but her current capability to help is restricted by Elaine not knowing where exactly she is, as Morgana was tasked by the English handmaiden with infiltrating the Explorer's Society, and is thus probably on an expedition to a suspicious cave somewhere unpleasant.

Eairdsidh (2 point Sidhe Lover background)
Eairdsidhe is Elaine's long-time friend and current lover, and unseelie by technicality. He was cast out by the Seelie Queen for crimes he was framed for by someone bearing a disproportionate grudge for a harmless little prank.

Johann Johannson (2 point Lost Love background)
Johann was Elaine's first love, until she discovered that she had inherited the sidhe incapability for romantic love and got bored of the man. Johann didn't take the revelation that Elaine's feelings weren't of the have your babies and start a family variety, and is now quite upset at Elaine for tarnishing his honour.

Waci fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 15, 2014

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!

pre:
Name: Cal Gallus
Nationality: Avalon
Swordsman Schools: Robertson (25 HP)			  

Traits:
Brawn: 3
Finesse: 3
Resolve: 3
(72 Points)

Advantages:
Membership: Swordsman's Guild

Hubris:
Stubborn (+10)

Background: 
Lost Love 3
Defeated 1
Nemesis 1

Advantages:
MacEachern Weapon: Fencing Sword (5hp)
Lesser Gesa (Dyne choose one)

Skills:
Athlete (2 points)
Climbing 1
Footwork 1
Sprinting 1 
Throwing 1

Hunter (2 point)
Tracking 1
Trail Signs 1
Survival 1

Falconer(2 point)
Bird Handling 2 (1 point)

Fencing
Double Parry 1  
Feint 1 
Exploit Weakness (Robertson) 1

Cloak
Entangle 2 (1 point)

MacEachern Fencing Sword
Plain Cloak
Clothes n poo poo
Kesha the Sparrowhawk
6 gold
pre:
Heinreich 20 Questions

Damned Avalon

Slight in build, with a head of long black hair, unkempt facial hair from life travelling

None that I am aware of

To kill that bloody Sidhe once and for all

Strength of Will, strength not to be misled by fae trickery. Weakness? Other people's inability to see the truth

Kesha. Sidhe

I have lost in life, and in love, because of damned sorcery and sorcerous creatures. I will not stand idly by and let them get away with it.

That it is all for naught.

To retrieve my love, and be able to settle in a land free from witchery.

The lands are beautiful, the people misguided and misled. 

Not towards people no.

To myself.

Yes, and she will be saved and I shall be wed.

A fine family, but unable to see the truth

'That Poor Boy'

Man

Religion is just another brand of sorcery

I learnt to fight with the cloak and sword from a family friend as a grew, he inducted me into the Robertson school.

Sorcery is death.

Stab dat ho.

Sledra fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 8, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
As a note (because someone asked,) if you have any of the Swashbuckling Adventure books, I will not be using them for this campaign; they were made with the mind of being used between both the d20 system and the 7th Sea/L5R system, and are just horribly put together and convoluted, and horribly edited. Not to say 7th Sea is any better, especially the Avalon book. :v:

So basically if you have a source book that says SWASHBUCKLING ADVENTURES on the cover and not 7th Seas and JUST 7th Seas, ignore it. If it's got something you REALLY, REALLY like, get with me first and we'll discuss it.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 8, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Firesight - Vesten - Like their Vendel brothers, the Vesten do not do a standard Destiny Spread; the eldest of their village will draw runes to answer questions about them.

"Who is this?" The rune drawn was Uvitenhet. It has a special Hubris, in that it will give you +5 on all TNs for Social Rolls. It also has a special virtue, where you receive a Uvitenhet die in each scene that functions as a Drama die, except that it does not give XP, you can only ever have one, and I do not receive a drama die for its use.

"What shall be his beginning?" The rune drawn was Stans. Your youth was spent in a very quiet home in a small village on one of the smaller islands. When you left, you received an heirloom to remind you of home. You receive a 2-pt Inheritance Advantage.

"What shall be his journey?" The rune drawn was Host with a funny little line through the O. You have inherited a parcel of land. You have a small farm there, maintained by your sister while you are away. The farm generates ten guilders of profit per month, which you may take as income, and you will always have a home to return to.

"What shall be his destination?" The rune drawn was Bevegelse. Marriage will have a great impact on you. (2-pt Betrothed Background)

Sormus - Vesten

"Who is this?" The rune drawn was Herje. It has a special Hubris, in that any time you spend a drama die, I get an extra drama die for its expenditure. It also has a special virtue, in that you receive a Herje die at the beginning of every Act. It can function as a drama die, but it can also activate a Villain's flaw or prevent him from activating his wile. You can also spend it as a drama die, where the total rolled will be subtracted from a villain's roll.

"What shall be his beginning?" The rune drawn was Uvitenhet. You were adopted, and your true heritage is unknown. You gain a 3-pt True Identity background for free.

"What shall be his journey?" The rune drawn was Fornuft. You have had a glimps of the Seventh Sea, and it has expanded the horizons of your mind. You feel you must find a way to return there. You gain a 2-pt Moment of Awe background.

"What shall be his destination?" The rune drawn was Herje and the elder bickered about if the sack was shaken well enough. Desperate times will call for desperate measures, but some actions are simply unforgivable. (3-pt Traitor Background)

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Pull me a spread. Either an eisen zweihander merc, or the Avalonian archer. Ooh, or I could dig up the first character I played. She was pretty cool, even if the game never got off the ground :v:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Name: Brandt
Nationality: Pirate (Vestenmannavnjar)
Swordsman School: Urostifter

Traits:
Brawn: 1 + 2 = 3
Finesse: 1 + 2 = 3
Resolve: 1 + 0 + 1 (free) = 2
Wits: 1 + 1 = 2
Panache: 1 + 1 = 2
(48 points)

Hero Points: 110 - 25 - 16 - 16 - 8 - 8 - 8 = 37

Advantages:
Large - 3
Combat Reflexes - 3
Able Drinker - 1
Toughness - 5
Old Name - 2
Vesten Accent (Stjernasfolk) - 0
Dangerous Beauty - 3
Swordsman’s Guild (free)

Hubris:
Indecisive

Background:
Lost Love - 3
Vendetta (Father) - 3 (free)
Wanted - 2 (future!)

Skills:
Sailor - 2 points
Balance 3 (2 points)
Climbing 3 (1 points)
Knotwork 3 (2 points
Rigging 3 (2 points)

Heavy Weapon - (free)
Attack (Heavy Weapon) 3 (2 points)
Parry (Heavy Weapon) 3 (2 points)

Athlete - (free)
Climbing 3
Footwork 1
Sprinting 1
Throwing 2 (1 point)

Beat (Heavy Weapon) 1
Double-parry (Heavy Weapon/Heavy Weapon) 2 (3 points)
Feint (Heavy Weapon) 1
Exploit Weakness (Urostifter) 1

Income: 1k1
Money and Loot

3.05 guilders

Longsword - free
Longsword - 10g
Dice (wooden) - 0.25g
Vest - 0.4g
Jacket, Plain - 1g
Pants - 0.8g
Belt, Leather - 0.5g
Razor - 2g

Inheritance item = ????

20 QUESTIONS
The coast of a small island in Vestenmannavnjar

I am one of the largest and most powerful men to ever sail the seas. My muscles

I enjoy intimidating and impressing others by flexing my muscles

I can't go home until I am ready to slay my father than the honorless scum who support him. My swords must be sharp and my skills sharper before I try.

I am not the smartest of folk, but my word is my bond and my arms are like good steel.

Fish, I hate fish. Doesn't matter what type. Been eating it since I was a boy, and I can't stand the stuff. My favorite thing is the looks on peoples faces when they realize how large I am.

I'm not a bad guy. Sure, I enjoy raiding, but I don't harm anyone who doesn't take up arms against me. I just want to enjoy life. Laughter, honest laughter, is everything.

I HAVE NO FEAR! No man of Vestenmannavnjar would admit to fearing anything!

I have no real ambition other than to enjoy life to the fullest for as long as I can. A little money put aside, in case I live to be old, is the most I can dream of. I love freedom, the freedom of the sea and the wide world.

The Vendel are dishonorable folk, but they are useful. Sometimes my countrymen take honor too far, get it involved in things that honor shouldn't be involved in. Just because our grandfathers grandfathers did something in a specific way doesn't give it honor, honor is in the intent.

gently caress THE VENDEL. And my father.

With no family left, besides a father who refuses to acnowledge me, my loyalty is to myself and my friends. After all, friends are the family I can choose.

I was in love with a most beautiful, if poor, lass. But my mother died, and my exile from my home meant that she had to marry another... unfortunately, the story she was told isn't what happened, and now she is married to my fathers heir, and hates me.

My father claims to be honorable but threw me out rather than acnowledge that I was one of his by-blows. My mother was poor, beautiful, and is now dead. My father will soon be dead as well.

Since only my father is left, he would describe me as some boy who sought to claim parentage that was not his own, little better than an honorless thief. My mother knew me to be strong of arm and an honorable raider.

I AM A WARRIOR! How could you mistake THESE muscles for a shield-maidens slender arms?!

I listen when the priests talk, but give it little thought if there is no priest around.

I became a member of the Swordsman's Guild when I was taught to use my weapons. It seemed useful, and a duel under the eyes of the gods is an honorable thing.

Pfah. Foul magics. Magic is best left bound in runes, so that it doesn't become warped.

Oh god you are going to get yourself killed by being so stubborn. Watch out for the bigger dudes.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 23, 2014

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hmm, sure I'll throw something up. Toss me a Castille and Eisen draw.

Not sure if I'll do something similar to a reprise of my previous character, with or without the secret stuff, an El Fuego practitioner who's decided to leave the country for a while, or just a flashy sword swinger.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Vicissitude - Avalon
Strength: Justice (Exemplary Virtue)
Weakness: Judgment (Righteous Hubris)
Past: Eight of Staves
You served on a Navy vessel in your youth. Gain the Sailor Skill for free with one basic Knack at three.

Present: Six of Cups
You were recently traveling through Avalon and had occasion to help a druid reclaim a holy place frm andits. The druid was very pleased, and in return for your help, he conducted a ritual to give you strength. You begin the game witha Lesser Geas of the GM's choice.

Future: Five of Staves
Your deepest, darkest fears will soon come to light. (2-point Fear Background)

Vicissitude - Eisen
Strength: Temperance (Self-Controlled Virtue)
Weakness: The Sun (Proud Hubris)
Past: Ten of Staves
One night, you were having a drink with some friendly men in dashing uniforms who had invited you to join them. THe next day, you woke up in their army. Since then, you have made the best of a bad situation and excelled at your job. You receive a 2-point Commission Advantage.

Present: Seven of Swords
Just two weeks ago, you saw some men forcing a young girl into a carriage againt her will. Unwilling to allow this, you drew your sword and drove off the ruffians. It turned out that the girl's father was a powerful noble, and as a reward for saving his daughter's life, he gave you a dracheneisen dager. Overwhelmed by his gratitude, you swore that you would be there whenever he had need of you. You receive a dracheneisen dagger (see the Dracheneisen Advantage) and a 1-point Obligation Background for free. Unless you purchase the Dracheneisen Advantage normally, however, you do not receive any discount on the Noble Advantage.

Future: Four of Swords
Miracles DO happen, as you will see. (2-pt Moment of Awe background)

Lord Koth - Eisen
Strength: The Empress (Comforting Virtue)
Weakness: The IMperator (Hot-Headed Hubris)
Past: Ace of Swords
The War of the Cross virtually wiped out your whole village. Eager for revenge, you tracked down the commander who was responsile for the carnage, and he defeated you single-handedly. Ever since then, you have been trying to find him again and exact vengeance for his deeds. It has been several years since you last saw him, and your one consolation is that he is not getting any younger. You receive a 3-point Defeated Background for free.

Present: Ten of Swords
Your best friend was slain yesterday by a famous swordsman. You have sworn to avenge him. You receive a 3-point Hunting Background for free.

Future: Five of Staves
Be wary of old acquaintances. (2-pt Nemesis Background)

Lord Koth - Castille
Strength: The Star (Inspirational Virtue)
Weakness: Temperance (Envious Hubris)
Past: Nine of Swords
When you were an infant, you were seized by a horrible illness, which left its mark on you. Your growth was stunted. You gain the Small advantage for free.

Present: Nine of Cups
You have gained the financial support of an influential noble. You gain a Patron with two points of Wealth and two points of Generosity for free.

Future: Two of Swords
You will fall in love with a warrior. (2-pt Romance Background)

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 8, 2014

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Oh yes, adventures. Yessssss.

Toss me a draw for an ussuran dude. Let's see what the fate gives me before thinking about weapons.

throw to first DAMN IT fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 9, 2014

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Jan Svensson

Vendel.

Physically fit and has a well-maintained mustache.

Inappropriate singing.

Freedom, really. Being a merchant is too stifling for a man of his talents.

Despite what others think, he is actually very clever. Until he gets distracted by a new idea for a song or a beautiful lady wanders into view, anyways.

Most: Music, of all types. Least: Wine. You'd be sick of it too if you spent as much time around it as he did.

Must make every thing he does a spectacle, even if no one is watching.

Becoming yet another businessman.

Ambition: To make a living with his musical talents, without being bound to one place. Love: The accordion, the perfect instrument.

It's alright, but people care too much about money or are angry unsophisticated brutes

Got bullied by a Vesten as a child, doesn't much care for them now.

To himself, mostly. He'll help his family if there's great need, however.

Been in love many times, no permanent relationships.

Still managing the vineyard, still selling wine, still being boring.

"Star-crossed idiot who doesn't see a good deal when it's right in front of him."

Gentleman.

Hasn't put much thought into it.

Despite multiple attempts to get him to join a merchant guild by his parents, no.

It is a very fancy trick.

Never break out into a musical around grumpy pirates.

pre:
Name: Jan Svensson
Nationality: Vendel (+1 Wits)
Hurbis: Star-Crossed
Money: 22g

Traits:
Brawn   2
Finesse 2
Wits    3
Resolve 2
Panache 3

Skills:
Artist (Musician (Accordion) 3)
Athlete (Climbing 2, Footwork 2, Sprinting 1, Throwing 1)
Courtier (Dancing 3, Etiquette 2, Fashion 2, Oratory 2)
Fencing (Attack (Fencing) 1, Parry (Fencing) 3)
Firearms (Attack (Firearms) 3, Reload (Firearm) 1)
Merchant (Vinter 2)
Performer (Acting 1, Dancing 3, Oratory 2, Singing 3)
Sailor (Balance 1, Climbing 2, Knotwork 1, Rigging 1)

Sword School: Rasmussen
Knacks: 
Pommel Strike (Pistol) [1]
Reload (Firearm) [1]
Trick Shooting (Pistol) [3]
Exploit Weakness (Rasmussen) [1]

Apprentice: No penalty for using a pistol in off hand, may draw and fire a pistol
as one action, and short-range penalty is reduced to -5 instead of -10.

Advantages:
Appearance (Stunning): +2 unkept dice on social rolls.
Inheritance (2): A finely crafted Accordion, a gift from Jan's late grandfather.
Patron (4): 40g per month
Obligation (3): Must defend Rasmussen against the Swordsman's guild.

Background:
[Eventually] Cursed (2): Beware of those who are jealous of your talents.

Equipment:
Fencing Sword
Ornamental Sheath [4g]
4x Pistols [80g]
Gunpowder and Bullets for 20 Shots [3g]
Fancy Coat [5g]
Fancy Boots [5g]
Compass [1g]

Hero points: 110/110
Brawn>2 [8]
Finesse>2 [8]
Resolve> [8]
Panache>2 [8]
Wits>3 [8]
Panache>3 [8]
Sword School: Rasmussen [25]
Athlete [2]
Fencing [2]
Artist [2]
Sailor [2]
Merchant [2]
+1 to Footwork [1]
+2 to Parry (Fencing) [2]
+2 to Attack (Firearms) [2]
+2 to Trick Shooting [2]
+1 to Dancing [1]
+1 to Fashion [1]
+2 to Singing [2]
+1 to Musician (Accordion) [1]
+1 to Etiquette [1]
Appearance: Stunning [10]
Patron [4]
Inheritance [2]

Astus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 21, 2014

malikial
Jan 26, 2013

pre:
Name: Giacomo Antonio Tommaso Abbatantuono
Nationality: Vodacce
Swordsman School: None

Traits:
(48 Points)

Advantages:
Academy(From Present)
+Martial Skills Cost 1 instead of 2 at creation

University(From Present)
+Civil Skills cost 1 instead of 2 at creation

Dangerous Beauty 3 pts
+2 unkept die to seduction rolls

Inheritence 1 pts
500 bonus Guilders

Keen Senses 2 pts
+1 Die to skills that involve senses and surprise tests

Small -2 Pts
+1 Unkept Die for Shadowing/stealth
-1 Die on first damage roll per combat

Left Handed 1 pts

Twisted Blade 4 pts
Twisted Fencing Sword

Hubris:
Overzealous (+10 points)

Background: 
Vodacce Code of Honor 3pts
+Always meet a man's eyes unless he is CLEARLY your superior
+Always collect and repay your debts
+Never Refuse a challenge

Languages:
Vodacce (Native Tongue)
Castille 1 pts
Montaigne 1 pts

Martial Skills:

Athlete 6 pts
 3 Climbing
 3 Footwork
 2 Sprinting
 1 Throwing

Commander 3
 2 Strategy
 2 Tactics

Fencing 5 pts
 3 Attack (Fencing)
 3 Parry (Fencing)

Dirty Fighting 6pts
 3 Attack (Dirty Fighting)
 1 Throat strike

Knife 5 pts
 3 Attack (Knife)
 3 Parry (Knife)

Civil Skills:

Artist 2 pts
 3 Singing

Courtier 4 pts
 3 Dancing
 2 Etiquette
 1 Fashion
 1 Oratory

Criminal 2 pts
 2 Gambling
 1 Shadowing
 2 Stealth

Sailor 3
 2 Balance
 2 Climbing
 2 Knotwork
 1 Rigging

Scholar 3 pts
 2 History
 2 Mathematics
 1 Philosophy
 1 Research

Urchin 3 pts
 2 Stealth 
 1 Street Navigation
 2 Survival

Equipment and Clothing:
Fencing Sword (2 ranks Twisted)
Main-Gauche 8g
4x standard Knifes 24g
2x Ornamental Sheath 10g

Boots, Fine 10g
Cloak, Fine 10g
Coat, Gentleman's 10g
Gloves, Silk 5g
Suit, Silk 10g
Hat, Wide Brimmed 1g

Goods:
2 Wine, Fine 2g
1 Wine, Excellent 10g

Money: 
400 Guilders remaining of Inheritance
20 Questions

Vodacce!

Picture included in submission! Giacomo is only 5'4" tall.

Giacomo is passionate and fiery about almost everything. He goes into every situation as if it will have life changing ramifications. He also enjoys watching people squirm.

Giacomo was disowned by his wealthy parents, his main motivation is to prove he doesn't god damned need them and make something of himself.

Giacomo believes in himself, he is confident and capable. Giacomo does not back down from anything and believes that he is right, even when he is not...

Giacomo has many things he enjoys but he most enjoys exhilaration. Be it in the form of a good round of combat, riding a ship in a storm, or bedding a new lover. He hates being bored, he hates inaction.

Always looking for adventure and to test his mettle, underneath it all he just wants to prove he's worth a drat after his family disowned him.

He fears blindness or being struck in combat in a manner that leaves his body alive but his mind whole.

He wants to meet his match in skill, fire and desire and have a tumultous affair with them.

Beautiful and treacherous, just as all things should be, any less is boring.

Not against a race but he loving HATES boring people.

With himself, mostly. He would be loyal to a family that wanted him as he is, be it one he made of friends or one he was taken in by.

Not yet, though there is much lust he has not found love yet.

Who the gently caress cares?

As a little boy who would rather bed the stable-boys than take his rightful place in their family.

That depends on the situation, there are times and places when he is courteous and kind, there are those when he is not.

Not very.

No.

He cannot use it but he thinks it is a great asset to those who can.

Think before you act.

poo poo! Have to recreate because the Character Handbook Dyne linked says starting Knacks can go up to five but I have just been informed they can only go up to 3.

Second edit, fixed things! Should be legal now!

THIRD EDIT! Tell mali what you think of his character. This is the first time I've ever touched 7th sea. Need some feedback.

malikial fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 9, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

quote:

poo poo! Have to recreate because the Character Handbook Dyne linked says starting Knacks can go up to five but I have just been informed they can only go up to 3.

Knacks CAN go up to a maximum of five, but on the page following it says 'maximum at character creation is three.' :v:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Puistokemisti - Ussura
Strength: Legion (Perspicacious Virtue)
Weakness: Fortune (Misfortunate Hubris)

Past: Seven of Staves
You were a very sick child. Your father had the resources to call for the very best healers and none of them were able to help. Then a Tibesti woman offered to help and in his desperation your father agreed, offering her anything she wished that was in his power to give. She said, “Let’s wait and see.” After weeks of labor your health returned, and your Father then thanked her and asked her to leave. Her response was cryptic: “I pray you guard this child well, for no other child of yours shall live to see its sixth year.” You have had eight siblings siince then, all of whom have died before turning five. The ninth, your youngest sister, is now five. You gain a 3-point Obligation Background.

Present: Four of Cups
You spent last winter working outdoors. It was grueling work, but it seems to have thickened your skin. Gain the Toughness Advantage.

Only perseverance will help you find what you’re looking for. (2-point Hunting Background)

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I'll take a draw for a Castillian!

edit: And one for a Montaigne too if that's okay, I'm not entirely sure which I would like to make (though I could just apply the same draw to the Montaigne table).

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 10, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Vulpes Vulpes - Castille
Strength: The Moon (Perceptive Virtue)
Weakness: Legion (Loyal Hubris)

Past: Three of Swords
You learned to fight early; your uncle taught you how to fire a pistol when you were only nine years old. Since then, you have had to defend yourself often. You gain the Firearms Skill for free.

Present: Eight of Swords
After a period of two years, you have just been released from prison. You were arrested for being involved in an illegal duel, which you won. You receive the Fencing Skill for free.

Future: Ace of Swords
You will meet your enemy in single combat, and only one of you will walk away. (Nemesis 2)

Vulpes Vulpes - Montaigne
Strength: The Hierophant (Creative Virtue)
Weakness: The High Priestess (Hedonistic Hubris)

Past: Two of Staves
You are a member of the gentry. You have no land to speak of, but you have money. You travel from place to place relying on other nobles to house and support you. You are always on the lookout for a good investment opportunity. You receive a 4-point discount when you purchase the Gentry Advantage, or receive it for free if you also purchase Sorcery.

Present: Ace of Coins
You recently did a favor for one of your contacts at court. In thanks, he has acquired a Montaigne Puzzle Sword for you. You must roll on the chart as normal, but with a 2-point discount on the final cost of your sword. (Note: if you choose to be Montaigne, let me know so I can roll your sword.)

Future: Four of Coins
Luck is on your side, but beware what is hidden. (1-pt Treasure Map, 1-pt Rivalry backgrounds)

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 10, 2014

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Dope, I'll take the Castillian and have a completed sheet shortly. Looking to make a Vaticine priest with a violent past, I think!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Looking to make a Vaticine priest with a violent past, I think!

I am expecting Monsignor Martinez, so you know.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Dyne, could you please give me a draw for a Montaigne and an Avalon hero?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Epicurius - Avalon
Strength: Terra (Worldly Virtue)
Weakness: The Hierophant (Trusting Hubris)

Past: Four of Cups
In your youth, you learned all about the Sidhe, and how to appease them. But your quick mind and sharp wit also attracted the attention of a travelling priest, who tried to teach you all the glories of Theus, and offered you a chance at the priesthood. Your soul has become a battleground between the Church and the old ways. You may choose either the Sidhe Blood or the Ordained Advantage. Once you commit to a side, however, the other will hold you in eternal scorn, and you will receive a three point Nemesis Background. GM Note: For the Sidhe Blood advantage, you may only take an advantage from the 'Existing Advantages' at the top of page 92 of the Avalon Book.

Present: Nine of Cups
Your father was a member of Avalon's elite.. one of Queen Elaine's Knights. He served with great distinction and earned you a place among their ranks. You begin the game with the Elaine's Knights Advantage and must follow their rules and restrictions, if you accept the position.

Future: Three of Cups
With patience comes great rewards. (3-pt Inheritance Background)

Epicurius - Montaigne
Strength: The Sun (Friendly Virtue)
Weakness: Temperance (Envious Hubris)

Past: Ten of Coins
For as long as you can remember, you have had an excellent sense of fashion. It wasn’t that you could predict the directions that fashion would take in the coming months, it was that you chose the direction fashion would take. You have always been on the cutting edge of style, and the other nobles look to you for direction. You begin the game with the Courtier Skill and Rank 3 in your Fashion Knack for free.

Present: Ten of Staves
Recently, a good friend of yours was killed in battle right next to you. As he lay dying in your arms he asked you to grant him one request — take care of his wife and son. You receive a 2-point Vow Background for free.

Someone you know will soon take a trip. (2-pt Lost Relative Background)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So I heard there would be elves Sidhe.

Traits:
Brawn: 4
Panache: 2
(48 pts)

Hubris
Stubborn (-10 pts)

Background
Rivalry 2
Wanted 2

Advantages
Minor Nobility (20 pts) - Dracheneisen PANZERHAND!!
SPIKES (2 pts)
GUN (5pts)

Able Drinker (1 pt)

Combat School (20) - Loring
Bind 1
Disarm 1
Hook 3 (3 pts)
Exploit Weakness (Loring) 1

Skills
Athlete (Loring)
Climbing 1
Footwork 4 (3 pts)
sprinting 2 (1 pts)
Throwing 1

Panzerhand (Loring)
Attack(Panzerhand) 4 (3 pts)
Parry(Panzerhand) 2 (1 pts)

Extra
Two Free Raises whenever you are attempting an Intimidation Action.

Xun fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Ok, I need advice.

My free 2 point inheritance SHOULD be an item to remind my dude of home. So not a sack of gold. This raises the question, what is there that is worth close to 1000 guilders that is an appropriate memento of this guys home. Normally I'd say he should inherit the swords he uses, or his armor... but no armor and the swords are dirt cheap. A rune-weapon could be in the right price range, but those can't be bought. Horse doesn't fit because he's from the clan known for it's sailing. A boat is too expensive unless it's only 1 or 2 points.

So, I'm stumped on what would fit.

• Locked thread