Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

No, Survivor Series 2011. Also they spent the whole build up showing how Cena could beat R-Truth and Miz by himself.

So it was every Cena feud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

triplexpac posted:

Eh I dunno, if UFC has shown us anything it's that you don't necessarily need to methodically wear down a body part to get a submission. It really wouldn't bug me at all if it looked at all like Cena was hurting the guy, and not just loosely draping his arms around his neck while he shouts

He also seems to think that if he grips his hands together really really hard it'll look more realistic. He often has a white-knuckle grip on his hands, while simultaneously leaving another whole head worth of space in front of his opponent's chin.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Any of you who don't watch Main Event, you just missed out.

Remember how we thought Sandow would come out as HBK on Raw? Well, push Sandow forever.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

dialhforhero posted:

I think the bigger issue here (to me) is that Cena is not a technical wrestler, doesn't tend to target specific areas, and doesn't take his opponents to the ground very often, so suddenly finishing a match with a submission just seems out of it. He's too big a dude and relies on big impact spots to be a convincing guy for submissions if that makes any sense.

Well, to be fair the reason they even gave him a submission move back in the day was to win a submission match, the same reason they gave Undertaker Hell's Gate after a million years without having a submission move.

And I'm 90% sure that the main reason he kept it for long enough that it became a staple was because "STF-U" was an irresistible pseudo-pun, and now that he can't use it anymore it's just that he's had it for so long.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Sanguinia posted:

Well, to be fair the reason they even gave him a submission move back in the day was to win a submission match, the same reason they gave Undertaker Hell's Gate after a million years without having a submission move.

Taker tried and failed for quite awhile to get a triangle choke over before that.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Since we're having finisher talk: why does Ishii, arguably the best wrestler in the world right now, have such a lovely looking Brainbuster as a finish? Like half the time it just looks like a vertical suplex or superplex. I think it's way worse than using a lovely DVD for a finisher.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Taker tried and failed for quite awhile to get a triangle choke over before that.

He did try sprinkling bits of MMA into matches for a long time, makes sense the gogaplata was just something he wanted to do.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Brad's still alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxZrpHTWcqw

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Everybody using the free week of The Network needs to watch as much NXT as they can and then they, too, will love Bo Dallas. Especially the 4 or 5 episodes after Takeover.

I know they're on Hulu or something, but watch them on The Network anyway and enjoy Bo's breakdowns.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

This cave gets great lighting. And there's a bathroom right off the main room! I'll stay here forever!

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
For those wondering what Cesaro said last night, he said "You are rotten" (or poopy if you're John Cena). This was also what was chanted back to him during the match.

It doesn't look like the crowd was muted too much with the exception of the "Orton's bitch" chant when Kane came out.

The post-show was Cena and Reigns posing and getting booed and cheered respectively. Then the Wyatts came out and were quickly beaten down.

McStabby fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 9, 2014

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Isn't Del Rio's contract up now or around this time?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Roman Reigns posted:

Isn't Del Rio's contract up now or around this time?

I await the TNA debut of Armando "Kickin" Delgado.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shine posted:

I await the TNA debut of Armando "Kickin" Delgado.

Dixie: We're going to take the rich foreigner heel angle that WWE had with Del Rio but DO IT RIGHT!
Del Rio spontaneously combusts in the ring

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I really wish they could do something, anything with Del Rio. He has a great look and is pretty good in the ring.

Like just give him any gimmick. It doesn't matter which one.

Edit: I think part of this is just a desire to see any non-white wrestler be consistently over. (Though I suppose we're headed there with Reigns)

Like, people seriously thought the WWE was building to a new Nation of Domination since everyone Rusev kept squashing was black.

But nope, it's just that every black wrestler in WWE is a low-mid carder or jobber.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 9, 2014

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Lyle Overbay's walk up music is Adam Rose's theme

I think Aoki's walk up music is still Fandango's theme

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

waffle iron posted:

Bo has some words for Brazil:

https://vine.co/v/MPHqw7DhvLV

Bo Bo Brazil

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just watched Main Event. Sandow as HBK getting "you screwed Bret" chants is amazing.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm in bed right now, but I have to know - did he wear the sunglasses?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm in bed right now, but I have to know - did he wear the sunglasses?

No, sadly he was dressed as modern HBK. Jeans, cowboy boots and hat, camo vest, and a lovely blonde wig. He had the tempo of his speech down perfectly though, and he did do the dance on the way to the ring.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
He also had a poorly drawn on tattoo which looked to be marker or something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

He also had a poorly drawn on tattoo which looked to be marker or something.

Yes, and it wasn't even the right tattoo. It was literally just the outline of a heart in red with "HBK" written across it in black. All done in sharpie. AND it was on the wrong arm. I love Damien Sandow.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes, and it wasn't even the right tattoo. It was literally just the outline of a heart in red with "HBK" written across it in black. All done in sharpie. AND it was on the wrong arm. I love Damien Sandow.

That owns so much.

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

The tattoo was actually "HDK" :eng101:

Somehow better.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

SteamyV posted:

The tattoo was actually "HDK" :eng101:

Somehow better.

Sandow for life.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

The Landstander posted:

Why all the anger, HOTLANTA MAN? :ohdear:

BNB and Bryan are on the shelf so it's been a hard life these past few weeks.

Anyway I'm watching Main Event and holy poo poo ADR got bad at promos all of a sudden

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 9, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

BNB and Bryan are on the shelf so it's been a hard life these past few weeks.

Anyway I'm watching Main Event and holy poo poo ADR got bad at promos all of a sudden

They won't he chanting RVD, they be changing A... D... R!

They won't he chanting RVD, they be changing B... N... B!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Cena's finisher is basically one of the more blatant abuses of the whole 'name of power' thing finishers have going on. It's basically a glorified bodyslam, but because it's Cena and it's called the FU/Attitude Adjustment, it immediately does a million damage and pins people 98 percent of the time. You can get away with that a fair bit (side russian leg sweep, anyone?), but when you have a guy on top for 10 years it becomes REALLY noticeable.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

waffle iron posted:

Bo is red hot this week. Sheer excellence.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Didn't Cena also fall to his knees/on his side when he started using the FU/AA? That seemed to give it more impact because he looked like he was driving the person down into the mat more.

That's why the F5 still seems powerful. Brock spins you around then slams you into the mat with all his force by driving you down. Plus 3 of them can kill Taker at WM :coolfish:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't think it has a lot to do with Cena specifically, the rhythms of WWE matches and their psychology necessitate one big move that's built up to and punctuates a bout (The games are even designed this way). The AA looks weak because flat back bumps look good in inverse proportion to their safety.

Speaking of, was the Jackknife a Kane finisher at some point in time? I remember the SD2:KYR animation was basically a half-assed power bomb that dropped dudes on their necks at an angle

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 9, 2014

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Static Rook posted:

Didn't Cena also fall to his knees/on his side when he started using the FU/AA? That seemed to give it more impact because he looked like he was driving the person down into the mat more.

Yeah, the AA looks a lot better when he's actually driving the opponent down with a forceful slam, instead of the casual "alley-oop :shobon:" he does most of the time.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Dixie: We're going to take the rich foreigner heel angle that WWE had with Del Rio but DO IT RIGHT!
Del Rio spontaneously combusts in the ring

So Del Rio finally gets some heat :supaburn:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Yeah, the AA looks a lot better when he's actually driving the opponent down with a forceful slam, instead of the casual "alley-oop :shobon:" he does most of the time.
Probably because they are worried that driving it would hurt his knees?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

waffle iron posted:

JR had better ones.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/here-is-j-r-jim-ross-calling-the-brazil-germany-firs-1601968953

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

Cena's finisher is basically one of the more blatant abuses of the whole 'name of power' thing finishers have going on. It's basically a glorified bodyslam, but because it's Cena and it's called the FU/Attitude Adjustment, it immediately does a million damage and pins people 98 percent of the time. You can get away with that a fair bit (side russian leg sweep, anyone?), but when you have a guy on top for 10 years it becomes REALLY noticeable.

Eh, I'm fine with the AA honestly. Also I'm a sucker for the kayfabe logic that certain people do certain moves better than others, which is why everyone can do a DDT but only Jake Roberts' DDT will always result in a 3 count. I can just believe that Cena does the best Fireman's Carry in wrestling from a kayfabe sense and it always puts the guy down.

Also thinking more on it I like the AA since it allows for some crazy spots to be set up, like Cena's TLC match against Edge in Unforgiven 2006 where he AA'd him off the top of a ladder through three tables.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 9, 2014

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Basic Chunnel posted:

Speaking of, was the Jackknife a Kane finisher at some point in time? I remember the SD2:KYR animation was basically a half-assed power bomb that dropped dudes on their necks at an angle
Kane's powerbombed people once in a blue moon, it's never been a finisher of his. The "dropping people on their neck" Jacknife comes courtesy of Kevin Nash. I don't remember ever seeing him land somebody on their back.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Basic Chunnel posted:

Probably, but I've not seen a Fake Diesel match yet.

Jayou
Mar 14, 2007

Sparkly Vampires are Wrestlicious!

pressedbunny posted:

Kane's powerbombed people once in a blue moon, it's never been a finisher of his. The "dropping people on their neck" Jacknife comes courtesy of Kevin Nash. I don't remember ever seeing him land somebody on their back.

I think they gave him a powerbomb around one of the times he tagged with Taker so he would have something to visually compliment the Last Ride - Thats my hazy memory of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETj7pLMzCuE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
God did I hate Nash's powerbomb. Especially when he would use it on cruiserweights. You could tell they were getting ready for the downward part but then, whoops, they're just left in the air and kinda flailing. So many awkward landings.

Now that's got me thinking, did Nash ever try to powerbomb Kidman? I'm guessing no because the Jackknife meeting the YOU CAN'T POWERBOMB KIDMAN would cause the universe to implode.

And, um, Nash is good on preshows and Legends of Wrestling. There. It's WWE discussion.

• Locked thread