Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OlTmTfWXsY

Mark of the Ninja joins a few other select titles as THE stealth game. Avenging your clan from an attack by hired soldiers, you control a ninja with no name, a bald head and sweet dragon tattoos, made from some :lsd: ink, that gives you the power to freeze time in your mind, see and hear everything around you and unlock some greater powers beyond.

Combat is terrible, everyone has guns, you do not. So in a way, you're forced to stealth through levels, keeping to the shadows, breaking lights and killing all in your way using a variety of tools and tricks. Or, you can go through the entire game without killing a single soul, aside from story purposes. In my first playthrough, I will be exploring all the levels and killing all that I see. Then, in NG+, I'll be doing a pacifism run with developer's commentary available and really dive into the game's themes, ideas and design. This is a fantastic game, I may gush, but this game is not perfect, it has its foibles and questionable design choices. I still enjoy the crap out of it though.

Joining me in this adventure will be hater of bugs living, DirtyDeedsDone. He's grateful we're playing a good game for a change. Also from Level 7 to Level 2 Pacifism, we're joined by Forer, the Americano. So sit back and relax, we've got some sneaking to do.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's on 360, PC and Linux, so kind of a Microsoft exclusive. It also runs like crap on my laptop, so I have to use a computer so it doesn't lag to hell. Not every level, but some future areas have background stuff that really slows the framerate. We shouldn't have any of that in the lp.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Glazius posted:

I like your occasional five seconds of failure. Really conveys how razor-edge this game is.

Have some more! I'm good at this game, honest...

I do really, really like stealth and waiting and killing. So this is a good fit for me.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Clarste posted:

This is probably the only game on Steam I've gotten 100% for. I liked it a lot. But doing a pacifist run first made successive runs in other styles seems pretty boring. Killing is easy mode.

I know, I'm itching to do the pacifism run, but most of the upgrades involve killing stuff in many different ways and the easiest way to explore the levels is to murder everything.

Neruz posted:

A group of Ravens is indeed called an Unkindness by the way

Clarste posted:

I've also heard them being called a Conspiracy. A conspiracy of ravens.

:krad:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Let's set things on fire! Woo!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh that's really cool. Thinking about it, it's a shame there's nothing like that in the game itself, it'd be a cool concept.

Also, no such things as ninjas? A lot of the guards in these levels thought the same thing. :smug:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

In between this run and the pacifism run will be the dlc and a couple videos of anything I missed, including all of the Paths, aside from Path of Silence, which will be the main staple of the pacifism run.

bathroomrage posted:

I'm glad you agree with me on the combat being terrible!

We die too quickly to bullets and the guards can move around quite a bit and I'm rubbish in fast paced situations like that anyway. Anymore than one guard and you're completely hosed. And losing points from being discovered (and losing another bonus to boot at the end of the level!) just isn't worth it. In quite a few levels, the no alarms bonus is just enough to get me the last point seal, so I'll always restart, muuuuuuch less hassle.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm sorry for being bad at this game, guys. :saddowns: I can improve, give me another 80 hours of playtime.

(New video up tomorrow)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

(Spoilers, I'm still bad)

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yes I just panic a bit and just try to move out of the way, I noticed during editing I could've hidden the body and was gonna mention it in recording, but ah well. I hide bodies if I know someone will see them, but I don't think of that when a guard comes investigating. And it isn't something to go out of the way for, since, like you said, I can get full honour regardless without the tedious point grind, which I'm trying to avoid.

So you'll see me hide bodies on occasion, but if I don't need to, I won't.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I-I-I thought you needed the upgrade we just got...

Therefore, yes, you can get every seal the first time through the level, unless you don't know you can. :sweatdrop:

(Also I prefer being proactive and killing guys instead of going to a ledge, dangling, then waiting for a guy to come under to kill him. It's worth more, has a chance to terrorize and looks metal as hell, but that's like three steps, my brain can't handle that much)

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 23, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I lurve endless thunderstorms. :science:

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I found the upgraded smoke bombs to be really useful, actually. Being able to disable guards at-will is quite handy (moreso starting in a couple of missions...), and every once in awhile you just can't be arsed to deal with lasers.

They are incredibly useful, but I'm not buying many upgrades since I don't need them at the moment, I'll buy them all eventually, you get plenty of honour to spend.

anilEhilated posted:

You might want to fix that typo, though.
Oh, new page: It's "ancestral" on your imagelinkthingy.

Man, I even checked to make sure I'd spelt it right, took me a few seconds to even notice the second 'n'.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Four levels of huge freaking castle. This game isn't huge, we're nearing halfway.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Joined by a new guy as we choke on gas. The guards really need to stop getting high down here.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That is what happens when you pause as the camera pans, but otherwise it looks fine to me, but I know nothing of video terminology, so I hope nothing's wrong!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It might be the game, it might be my export settings. I'm of the "eh, good enough" type, so I'm happy with how my videos look at the moment.

Neruz posted:

I like how you're complaining about not being able to just murder all the guards and a ninja game forcing you to act stealthily like a ninja even though the game has already aptly demonstrated that in a straight up fight you get shot dead.

What if they just have an open area with a bunch of grated lights you can't break and guys with machine guns? What then huh Crosspeice? Without somewhere to hide mister ninja gets dead.

That why I'm upset since in those situations, it'd be easy to be caught and then, in turn, killed.

(And I think there is a way to stop spotlights for a bit, but that's not for a while)

I definitely am doing pacifism, where no one dies!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

double nine posted:

It didn't help that I usually translate "no-kill" as "ghosting" a level. Adding to the frustration

I will say that I am going to use items for my pacifism run, as well as breaking lights and whatnot. I would love to ghost the whole thing and if there's any seals I could "get", then I'll try for them, but there are some really bad parts of the game where it's reeeeeal tempting to kill someone. Thankfully, Path of the Silence removes that temptation, which is what I'll use.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Nearly at Karajan, man this is a short game.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Neodymium posted:

I do have one bone to pick with Crosspiece regarding the alleged uselessness of the remaining upgrades: I love the Smoke Bomb upgrade simply because the gas effect it adds stuns elite guards.

It's not that they're useless, it's just that I don't need them at the moment. I pick it up in a couple videos and will be what I use in the pacifism run. And the game never expects you to have to kill an Elite Guard without some help, so I tend to leave them alone and use my items elsewhere (as in never, but I'll hoard it, juuuuuust in case, I'm bad, I know)

My first ninja video has reached 500 views in only 3 weeks. You guys. :allears:

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 3, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Let's find out!

Thanks for a great lp everyone, it was a lot of fun, shame about having to kill ourselves, but we did so with honour!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The game's not over?!?!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The developers call him Ninja, but Mark sounds about right.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Just a few more levels then I can tell you guys everything in lots of words. In the meantime, Stalkers. :downs:

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Phew, that's the end of the game, in the tiled mess at the bottom there are four videos, the man level at the top, the OPTIONAL choices/discussion at the bottom, then either endings on the left or right.

See you guys for DLC and NG+!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm hoping I gave the ending the justice it deserved, I really enjoyed it when I played, both endings suck, but in different ways. But with view count being the only real metric I have, seems Ora's ending is chosen slightly more. Also tell me if there were any points I missed in my choices discussion so I can talk about them in NG+.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I don't think I noticed too much up with Ora my first playthrough, but I'm not one to really notice these things anyway. It's possible she is or was a real person, but we seem to meet her for the first time in the same way Mark did. I do think it is the tattoos infecting Mark's brain and taking hold in the real world, carrying out the mission since that's what Mark is thinking about, a new, fresh body for the ink, so uh, "try not to get me killed". But as the couple stray thoughts creep in that it'll soon be over, the ink takes hold, not wanting to die, becoming more and more forceful and convincing, until whether Ora is what Mark is thinking or is taking over is something to speculate.

...I like this game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Woah, that's one FBI document there. I think we're past the point of spoilers, anyone who's reading this far without watching the videos should expect spoiler talk, so no more black bars, please.

And Mark was pretty much going crazy, with the freaky red background, thinking his ninja clan friends were soldiers with guns, then going into a strange white void in the last level. Granted, that might not be the tattoos, but that's the thing that sets him apart from everyone else, giving us crazy skills to turn us into killing machines. So why doesn't everyone else have them then if there wasn't a great cost? But the tattoos being a red herring is definitely something I never thought of.

And Ora does go a little crazy, is really into killing Karajan, then Azai, even the entire clan, to "cleanse" them. Do they need cleansing? Is the rest of the Hisomi-Jo at fault here? I think she was getting a bit too into it at the end, very sure in her beliefs but not able to see both sides. Azai was definitely measured in this response, letting us make the choice and simply having faith that we would make the right one. Maybe because he was so sure in his beliefs he didn't think we would kill him.

And yet, when we do kill him, he barely changes, he tightens up, but he isn't scared, or shocked, he simply accepts it. Ora, meanwhile, is visibly shocked, she did not believe you would kill her and, indeed, yourself. It's interesting what a few frames of animation can show so much.

Anyway, new videos in the next post.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The DLC and the first pacifist video. They will be similar, but shorter, due to how we'll slip through guard after guard. It's also a good time to talk about the game, how it was made, the commentary stuff, etc. It's an exciting time to posts lots of words.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Fun fact: throwing an unconscious guard at another guard still terrorizes them. So that guard that you shot with a dart so he walked into a trap you'd knocked to the floor? Even better is to toss a guard off the ledge above that guard; he'll get terrified, and stumble backwards into the explosive. :getin:

The "create spikes in the narrow crawlways" trap doesn't actually render them totally impassable; you just can't linger in them. The spikes are on a delay, like the traps you used to kill Stalkers in the last few mainline game levels.

Oh, if only I'd thought of that, that would've been fantastic! (And I do throw a few guards into each other, it's fun to watch them stumble)

It doesn't make them impassable, true, but moving quickly and getting stuck on the walls/grates happens a lot, just easier to get it last.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's not too far fetched, this ink is allowing us to teleport and freeze time. Having it root into our brain and project itself through our vision isn't too outlandish.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You know what time it is. :allears:

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And the mask also gives us sweet hair?

Also, couple of things I didn't mention about the paths: it takes less hits to knock enemies down in Might, which is why I showed off the slide kick, but it's still bad.

Items also don't replenish in Hunter and I wasn't stuck in the tower level, I could've returned to a item resource and gotten some Smoke Bombs.

And something I don't think I even mentioned in the DLC is Wisdom can carry more of each items, only one or two extra, I think.

They're all fairly fun and I enjoyed showing off the attacks items. As we get further into Pacifism, I'll be showing off more of the distraction items, but they're fairly explanatory. It is a lot of fun though and really changes how you play.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Regarding your difficulties with Path of Might, why aren't you using WASD for movement? Left hand for all your keypresses, right hand for the mouse, works great.

...you can do that? Huh. That is cool, but I've gotten so used to it now, it'll take a long while to use WASD. The slide kick still sucks though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Okay, apparently all of my footage has been deleted and I don't know how. I definitely didn't do it, since I had recorded all the way up to Level 7 and unless I went crazy, I wouldn't have deleted all of it, only the footage I've uploaded for space for new footage.

It's not a huge setback, I just have to record it again, so it'll probably be a week before the next video. At least there's no audio to rerecord, since I have no backlog at all. I know, I'm terrible. I might even have a backup save from before this all happened, otherwise, I'll have to go back through levels I've already completed, but it makes no difference to the playthrough.

PLEASE STAND BY.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Time to hide in the shadows again!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, whatever, maybe having someone twittering in my ear makes it better. :v:

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 4, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I have done the entire game in Pacifism, but hoo boy there were a lot of times I wanted to kill or incapacitate someone. That's why I'm using the silence path, to stop that.

In any case, me and Deeds just need a good opportunity to record and we'll finish this lp up. Thanks for everyone's patience. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh hey, this thing. Yeah, a few reasons on why I stopped for a month, the big one being that my laptop is a piece of poo poo and if I tried to export a video, it was a dice roll whether it overheated and turned off. Now I have a fancy fan thing and things have been exporting swimmingly. So I will be finishing this lp (even though it's technically done, but whatever) and even start a new lp early next month.

So yeah, video.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 4, 2015

• Locked thread