Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MITB this year has come and gone, and a new man has claimed the briefcase. In Seth Rollins' honor, I've put together a tournament of MITB winners, to determine who is simply the best, better than all the rest.

Round 1

Dolph Ziggler (2012) vs Randy Orton (2013)

Alberto Del Rio (2011) vs Kane (2010)

CM Punk (2009) vs Edge (2005)

RVD (2006) vs John Cena (2012)

Damien Sandow (2013) vs Daniel Bryan (2011)

CM Punk (2008) vs Jack Swagger (2010)

The Miz and Mr. Kennedy have recieved first round byes

http://challonge.com/mitbpoll

First Round voting ends 7/10/14 at 10 EST

I Before E fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, this poll either ends with CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan or CM Punk vs CM Punk.

Maybe Edge subbed in there for one of the Punks.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Pretty much depends on whether Daniel Bryan beats Punk's first win, and I think it will. Not a lot beats that second Punk win.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Are we rating these for the matches, the cash-ins, the subsequent title reigns, or what the case did for the holder?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

Are we rating these for the matches, the cash-ins, the subsequent title reigns, or what the case did for the holder?

Same as the Rumble tournament, the whole journey. You can define it as the story leading to the cash-in, you could include the title reign, and you could include how it may have elevated the holder.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Fair enough. From where it stands to me, the first 3 matchups are actually really close, and the last 3 are complete walkovers.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

Fair enough. From where it stands to me, the first 3 matchups are actually really close, and the last 3 are complete walkovers.

That's random seeding for ya.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Best cash in and best story was Dolph Ziggler, lets all just pack it in and go home.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Round 1

Dolph Ziggler (2012)

Kane (2010)

Edge (2005)

RVD (2006)

Daniel Bryan (2011)

CM Punk (2008)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Gavok posted:

Round 1

Dolph Ziggler (2012)

Kane (2010)

Edge (2005)

RVD (2006)

Daniel Bryan (2011)

CM Punk (2008)

Gavok knows whats up, I'll double up on his votes.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

rotinaj posted:

CM Punks 2008 cash in can't touch Bryan's, Bryan's whole story with that was incredible. Punk's 2009 cash in would be real competition, but I cannot in good conscience vote for it over the original and I'm betting there aren't many people who can. Edge defined MITB with that moment.

The interesting match up are Ziggler vs Orton and Cena vs RVD. INCREDIBLY tough calls.

For the former, Ziggler was one of the best guys at adopting the Mr. Money In The Bank gimmick, he let his persona mold around that case and it served him incredibly well in his heeling, and when he finally got the cash in the pop was one of the most nuclear I've ever seen, but on the other hand that title run barely even existed because of the concussion and led to both him AND Alberto Del Rio plummeting into a terrible period in their careers. Conversely, Orton didn't do too much with the case while he held it, but his cash in was incredible. I don't think I've seen that level a legitimate hatred among wrestling fans in a long time, it could not have been a bigger heel turn for either him OR Triple H, and Randy's subsequent feud with Bryan and the rise of The Authority were some very enjoyable television to me. I know opinions on that feud are divided even after the happy ending at Mania, but to me it was just short of pure gold.

For the latter, Cena and RVD's briefcases had almost no meaning while they held them and almost no meaning after they used them. But the matches are the kind of matches you remember forever. Cena vs Punk at Raw 1000 and RVD vs Cena at One Night Stand 06 are the stuff of myth and legend. Whether you're talking about the matches themselves being 5 Star Classics, the larger meaning of those matches considering the showing of support for the rebirth of ECW vs the unspoken message that we were seeing the Should-Have-Been Mania Main Event, the general historical significance of the shows they main evented, or simply the way the audiences made those already singular moments even more special, it's not a stretch to think that those were the two objectively best Cash-Ins of all time.

I think I've got to pick RVD over Cena just BARELY. As for Ziggler, I have a feeling everyone is going to vote for him so I'm going to show a token of support to Randy Orton. You brought me great joy with that Briefcase Mr. Viper, so kudos.

MY VOTES:

Orton
Del Rio
Edge
RVD
Bryan
Punk

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Gavok posted:

Round 1

Dolph Ziggler (2012)

Kane (2010)

Edge (2005)

RVD (2006)

Daniel Bryan (2011)

CM Punk (2008)

:effort:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So we just say which guy had the best run with the briefcase?

Dolph Ziggler (2012)
Kane (2010)
Edge (2005) <--- This is the one that is going to win the entire thing, unless people lie.
RVD (2006)
Daniel Bryan (2011)
CM Punk (2008)

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

For the latter, Cena and RVD's briefcases had almost no meaning while they held them and almost no meaning after they used them. But the matches are the kind of matches you remember forever. Cena vs Punk at Raw 1000 and RVD vs Cena at One Night Stand 06 are the stuff of myth and legend. Whether you're talking about the matches themselves being 5 Star Classics, the larger meaning of those matches considering the showing of support for the rebirth of ECW vs the unspoken message that we were seeing the Should-Have-Been Mania Main Event, the general historical significance of the shows they main evented, or simply the way the audiences made those already singular moments even more special, it's not a stretch to think that those were the two objectively best Cash-Ins

Are you confusing Cena's cash in on Punk with their feb 2013 #1 contender match? I don't really recall the Raw 1000 match being all that and it ended in a DQ.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Blasmeister posted:

Are you confusing Cena's cash in on Punk with their feb 2013 #1 contender match? I don't really recall the Raw 1000 match being all that and it ended in a DQ.

Its possible, but I do remember their match at Raw 1000 being a really fantastic match also. I also remember the match not ending in a DQ not bothering me at all because it was fitting for Punk as a character to exploit Cena's overlooking of the obvious flaw in his plan of using the briefcase in the way he did. It was a rare instance of Cena's Superman persona having a legitimate flaw in the form of naivete, and it gave him the albatross of being the first MITB failure, which was pretty cool.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 9, 2014

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I Before E posted:

Round 1

Dolph Ziggler (2012)

Kane (2010)

Edge (2005)

RVD (2006)

Daniel Bryan (2011)

CM Punk (2008)

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Round 1
Dolph Ziggler (2012)
Kane (2010)
Edge (2005)
RVD (2006)
Daniel Bryan (2011)
CM Punk (2008)

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Round 1

Dolph Ziggler (2012)

Kane (2010)

Edge (2005)

RVD (2006)

Daniel Bryan (2011)

CM Punk (2008)

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Gavok posted:

Round 1

Dolph Ziggler (2012)

Kane (2010)

Edge (2005)

RVD (2006)

Daniel Bryan (2011)

CM Punk (2008)

Yep. That'll do.

Also, way to go giving the guy who lost the briefcase a first round bye.

Actually, gently caress it. Both your first round byes are practically second round byes for their opponents. No one's honestly voting Kennedy over Punk 08 RVD 06 or Miz over Dolph 12.
Edit: Helps if I remember the bracket right before mocking them.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 9, 2014

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?
Ziggler
Kane
Edge
RVD
Bryan
Punk

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Sanguinia posted:

Its possible, but I do remember their match at Raw 1000 being a really fantastic match also. I also remember the match not ending in a DQ not bothering me at all because it was fitting for Punk as a character to exploit Cena's overlooking of the obvious flaw in his plan of using the briefcase in the way he did. It was a rare instance of Cena's Superman persona having a legitimate flaw in the form of naivete, and it gave him the albatross of being the first MITB failure, which was pretty cool.

The MITB Cash-In match with them was when Big Show went after Cena, ending the match in a DQ. Punk closed the Raw1000 ep by hitting GTS on the Rock. Cena's cash-in failure wasn't a loss, it was a win by DQ so the title didn't change hands.
The Feb #1 contenders match ended when Nash showed up and distracted Punk, then Cena hit the AA for the pin.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 9, 2014

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dolph Ziggler
Alberto Del Rio
CM Punk
RVD
Daniel Bryan
CM Punk

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Ziggles
Kane
Edge
RVD
Bryan
CM Punk

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Evil Badman posted:

Yep. That'll do.

Also, way to go giving the guy who lost the briefcase a first round bye.

Actually, gently caress it. Both your first round byes are practically second round byes for their opponents. No one's honestly voting Kennedy over Punk 08 RVD 06 or Miz over Dolph 12.
Edit: Helps if I remember the bracket right before mocking them.

I literally just shuffled the seeds a few times and had no idea which ones would get byes.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Oh yeah, votes

Round 1

Randy Orton (2013)

Kane (2010)

CM Punk (2009)

RVD (2006)

Daniel Bryan (2011)

CM Punk (2008)

Ziggler/Orton and Punk/Edge took the longest.

Ziggler really never got elevated, and the MitB match he was in wasn't quite as good as Orton's. His cash-in was spectacular, but the feud resulting dropped right off because of injury, heated back up for 1 double-turn match, then promptly ended. Orton did little as a holder but had barely a month with it, and the cash-in is going to be one of the all-time remembered ones, and led to one of the hottest angles in years - how much of that you can credit to Orton or WWE is debatable though.

I wasn't really around for the Edge/Cena feud so I can't really talk with my authority about it - was Edge a star before winning the case or before winning the title? Was his cash-in more fondly remembered simply because it was the first or was it legit that good it was hard to follow? I know Edge's reign was brief and quickly sidetracked because they didn't fit with mania plans. Punk shockingly turning heel on Jeff by cashing in right after he finally defeated Edge and won the title was pretty much Orton's cash-in but even more shocking. The subsequent feud and Punk running Jeff out of the company was my favourite angle of 2009. Punk won a lot of fans with this feud even if his place on the card took a while to improve.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 10, 2014

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Round 1

Randy Orton (2013)

Alberto Del Rio (2011)

Edge (2005)

RVD (2006)

Daniel Bryan (2011)

CM Punk (2008)

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Blasmeister posted:

I wasn't really around for the Edge/Cena feud so I can't really talk with my authority about it - was Edge a star before winning the case or before winning the title? Was his cash-in more fondly remembered simply because it was the first or was it legit that good it was hard to follow?

Depends on what you mean by "a star." He was certainly well known for having all his crazy tag team ladder matches and had had some very good feuds with the likes of Eddie Guerrero, Regal and Kurt Angle in the years previous, but I don't think anyone really considered him a main event star at the time when he won the MITB. And I don't think winning the briefcase really made that much of a difference in terms of how the fans looked at him. What did make a difference, though, was all the drama with Matt Hardy and Lita which gave Edge more heel heat than anyone in the company.

Combine that with the fact that a lot of people had really come to hate Cena in his first title run (where he ran roughshod over many of the hardcore/IWC fans' favourites like Jericho, Christian and Angle) and people were ready to believe in a new main eventer by the time he cashed in. Though even if the fans viewed Edge as a main event guy from that point on, it didn't seem like the company saw him that way until at least his second world title.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
Dolph Ziggler (2012)

Alberto Del Rio (2011)

Edge (2005)

RVD (2006)

Daniel Bryan (2011)

CM Punk (2008)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Perry Normal posted:

Combine that with the fact that a lot of people had really come to hate Cena in his first title run (where he ran roughshod over many of the hardcore/IWC fans' favourites like Jericho, Christian and Angle) and people were ready to believe in a new main eventer by the time he cashed in. Though even if the fans viewed Edge as a main event guy from that point on, it didn't seem like the company saw him that way until at least his second world title.

I agree. The fans were ready for Edge but the company didn't quite grasp what they had, but to his credit he took the inch they gave him and went more than a mile. It quickly became apparent to WWE that Edge was somebody they could rely on, and I think the highest praise they ever gave him was giving him the Wrestlemania 24 main event (goddamn that Mania was awesome).

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Votes!

Round 1

Dolph Ziggler (2012)

Alberto Del Rio (2011)

Edge (2005)

RVD (2006)

Daniel Bryan (2011)

CM Punk (2008)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Dolph Ziggler (2012)

Kane (2010)

Edge (2005)

RVD (2006)

Daniel Bryan (2011)

CM Punk (2008)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Round 2

Dolph Ziggler (2012) vs The Miz (2010)

Kane (2010) vs Edge (2005)

RVD (2006) vs Mr. Kennedy (2007)

Daniel Bryan (2011) vs CM Punk (2008)

http://challonge.com/mitbpoll

Second Round voting ends 7/13/14 at 10 AM EST

I Before E fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 12, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Round 2

Dolph Ziggler (2012)

Edge (2005)

RVD (2006)

Daniel Bryan (2011)

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Round 2

Dolph Ziggler (2012)

Edge (2005)

RVD (2006)

CM Punk (2008)

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Ziggles
Edge
RVD
CM Punk

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ziggs
Edge
RVD
DBry

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I feel sad that nobody is even going to consider voting for Miz. I doubt anyone's ever gotten a stronger push off the case, his is one of the longest and most "successful," of the wins on the table since it took him to Mania main event, he did almost as good a job as Ziggler making the case part of his character, the heat he got off the cash-in was the biggest since Edge (we all remember angry Miz girl), and even though his Mania match sucked his match with Lawler at Elimination Chamber was pretty enjoyable.

I'm going to vote for Ziggler too, but in the vacuum of this poll Miz is one of the better ones. Also anyone who votes for CM Punk '08 over Bryan is a fool. You could argue Punk '09 and it might even be close, but Punk '08 isn't even CLOSE.

Ziggler
Edge
RVD
Bryan

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Miz
Edge
RVD
Bryan

GenericMartini