Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I've had the same failure over and over on our R815 servers. The system board starts to flake and causes the PCI-E daughter card to crap out ... it just so happens that's the card with our SAS controller and whalla ESXi purple screens.

EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. Dell tells me "well we need to run the dell diagnostics to figure out what's going on!" even though the DRAC reports the exact error with the part that's failing. Nevermind the fact that the DRAC sucks hard and cannot stay connected long enough to load their hideous 1.5GB CentOS ISO to do diagnostics and the tech generally gives up and sends out my part anyways. I hate working with Dell.

Oh and nevermind the time I was working in another part of the company and they tried to tell the local techs at the time we were not allowed to talk about their crap design with their Latitude laptops. Their engineers forgot to ground the device properly. Thousands and thousands of laptops with issues due to that. They actually tried to force us to sign an agreement not to post about it on social media, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I renewed a service subscription with sonicwall last month. The purchasing department needs a copy of the invoice, which I figured would be an easy thing. I've talked to six different people now, and when they actually get back to me (usually takes contacting them directly two or three times), they just forward me off to someone new.

Like, what the gently caress do I do, and who can I actually contact for this? An invoice should be a drat simple thing.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Oh and nevermind the time I was working in another part of the company and they tried to tell the local techs at the time we were not allowed to talk about their crap design with their Latitude laptops. Their engineers forgot to ground the device properly. Thousands and thousands of laptops with issues due to that. They actually tried to force us to sign an agreement not to post about it on social media, etc.

Which Latitude was this? I'll call myself above average familiar with most of the models since the D600, and I've never heard of an issue like you describe.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

evobatman posted:

Which Latitude was this? I'll call myself above average familiar with most of the models since the D600, and I've never heard of an issue like you describe.

E5420... Dell still denies the issue and hopes it goes away.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I've had the same failure over and over on our R815 servers. The system board starts to flake and causes the PCI-E daughter card to crap out ... it just so happens that's the card with our SAS controller and whalla ESXi purple screens.

No good has ever come from a server ending in 5.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

skooky posted:

No good has ever come from a server ending in 5.

AMD. :suicide:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I ordered a monitor from Dell on Tuesday. To their credit, I'll have it by tomorrow which is impressive for shipping from the US. Or maybe it's really more to Purolator's credit I guess.

But today I got a robo-call from them. Unfortunately my phone is a jerk and I couldn't get the drat keyboard up to select English in time and when I did press 1, it disconnected me. So I called back and of course got a call center employee. I don't know what kind of garbage phone system or VOIP this guy had but his voice steadily dropped in volume over about 30 seconds until I couldn't hear a thing. Every time this happened and I mentioned it, he fixed it somehow on his end and then it just happened again. Through many volume dropouts all he could tell me is stuff I could already find on my Order Status page and he had no record of a call.

I figure it was just a pointless "Your order shipped in case it's 1998 where you live and you don't get email" call because Dell does that kind of dumb thing.

Then he asked me to confirm my contact info, and read out a 416 area code number. That's Toronto, I live a good 8 hours from Toronto. I wrote the number down for the hell of it and had him set the correct one for me.

When I got off the call I Googled the number, and it was their number. The contact phone number they had for me was their own support phone number.

At work our IT people told us the reason they chose to drop Dell is because they always insist on sending out a technician for everything instead of just the drat parts, and every time they send someone it's someone different who can't find our building.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Aphrodite posted:

At work our IT people told us the reason they chose to drop Dell is because they always insist on sending out a technician for everything instead of just the drat parts, and every time they send someone it's someone different who can't find our building.

Oh, Dell technicians. I had a laptop's USB port fail, which required a new motherboard. So, they sent a technician out to replace it. He somehow managed to break the CPU fan connector (the one on the wire) while removing the motherboard. So I went from a broken but functioning laptop to no laptop for about three days because he didn't have a spare fan available. (Yeah, the part was flimsy plastic that had probably melted; but that's probably happened to a few people before, and they should know to take a spare.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The IT Manager said Dell told him that it he were to get Dell certified they would be able to just send him parts to do it himself. That ended up being the final straw.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Aphrodite posted:

The IT Manager said Dell told him that it he were to get Dell certified they would be able to just send him parts to do it himself. That ended up being the final straw.

I'm sure there are other ways. I think the type of support you purchase makes a difference. No one here is Dell Certified and they offer us a choice between sending a tech or just the parts. They did mention that if we were able to get certified that we would be able to bypass the techs and just order the replacement parts directly.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Oh this topic looks perfect for me, I worked for a contractor for a few years for Dell and Lexmark, doing PCs, laptops, and printers! The job was a ton of fun but there's a reason why you probably see a different guy fixing poo poo each time: there are several companies that get contracted out, usually for various systems (Inspiron vs Latitude, residential vs business, etc), the training was all done alone with next to no hands-on experience, so Xenomorph probably got a guy who had never actually worked on that particular server. I learned next to nothing on online training and almost everything on a first call. Next as I understood it some companies were cheaper than others, ours (was BancTec, got bought by Worldwide Tech Services) got paid per service call plus milage (well under $.55/mile so claiming all of that on taxes was fun). Once they realized when bigger projects came in (I'm looking at you GX270s, so sweet to see a school's name on those tickets because you knew that'd be a good paycheck) and techs were completing motherboard repairs in under 10 minutes they changed it to hourly and mileage AFTER 30 one way.

Overall though, I really loved that job as I got to be pretty comfortable talking to people and I met some great IT guys that pulled some strings to get me some other jobs down the road. I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys have about techs, I'll try and think of some funny stories too I guess.

TWBalls posted:

I'm sure there are other ways. I think the type of support you purchase makes a difference. No one here is Dell Certified and they offer us a choice between sending a tech or just the parts. They did mention that if we were able to get certified that we would be able to bypass the techs and just order the replacement parts directly.

Out of all of the large places I serviced (huge hospitals, Medtronic, etc) there were only a few guys who were certified and did the swaps themselves, but even then I'd still get brought out to do a hard drive replacement...

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think the techs that any company sends out are pretty crappy. We have over 200 HP 8200/8300 desktops that are under warranty and I haven't had to make more than 10 service calls total, but every time it has been a different person that comes out. One guy was out to swap a CPU fan that took an hour and didn't want to wait around to make sure it actually booted up before he left. Another guy was scheduled to come out, I already went through the song and dance about what part was faulty with the main HP warranty call center, and this guy wanted me to go through more troubleshooting over the phone with him so he could be sure he had the correct replacement part. The best part is that he still decided to bring a different piece out because "I've seen this before, the motherboard almost never goes bad, let's try this other thing first." Are you loving kidding me. What a waste of time. I've started just having them send the parts out and I have someone here replace the hardware. It goes much faster and is much less frustrating.

Maybe I should post this in the poo poo you come across daily thread, because just thinking about the people HP sends out for warranty repairs is pissing me off.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Working as a guy in a call center, there's one particular place I know of where the onsite techs have about a 75% rate of not loving up spectacularly.

I've had customers with some amazing tales after a tech has been on site, poo poo like a lcd being all scratched up after a fan replacement (wtf?), screws missing, technicians just taking the computer back to their shops and never giving them back and technicians showing up, opening the computer and then assembling it again without changing any parts and then just go home.
It's amazing.

But our offsite is still the best, I think my favourite was the guy who had an issue with his gpu on a laptop, send it in for repairs and it's gonna take 2 months to get the part.
Customer complains, nothing we can do.
Part comes in and laptop is shipped back and customer calls in furious because someone had taken a screwdriver through the screen :D
So we send an onsite tech because that is pretty lovely, but it's gonna take another month for the screen to arrive!

Another guy got his laptop back all scratched up with the whole assembly loose because there were basically no screws. He also got a back of assorted screws. He was confused when he called us, asking if he was supposed to put it together himself.

I seriously hope this kind of poo poo mostly only happens here because this is a small, lovely country no one cares about.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I kind of wish I had seen this thread sooner, because my Precision M4800 just came in... :ohdear:

It's replacing my Lenovo W500. I would have stuck with Lenovo, since the W500 has been great for 6+ years, but it sounds like the trackpad would be a dealbreaker for me. A W530 may have been a good option, but I went 6 years without a new computer and I didn't want to get an old model for my new one.

I know it makes me weird but I really, really like the aesthetic of the M4800. It looks so serious, all angles and flat matte surfaces. The off-center keyboard is lame but hard to avoid in workstations these days.

So far, the Dell seems nice, but I guess what will happen is that 12-18 months from now, the motherboard will crap out on me? I'm hoping the top-of-the-line Precisions have a little extra TLC put into their design and components so maybe it will fare better. There's a long thread on some notebook forum where everyone is complaining about BSODs, but I haven't had that yet. Hopefully I'm lucky and those guys are a small minority.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

E5420... Dell still denies the issue and hopes it goes away.

A little late but this absolutely happened to my old company. Purchased about 500 E5420 laptops and maybe 20% developed a crazy static-screen type problem and had to be replaced. I'd never seen displays gently caress up like this, it was like staring into a colorful acid trip. Kind of like the old black and white static from an analog TV set, but a glorious trippy rainbow of failure. Dell denied the problem for a while, and then after it became clear that it was a hardware issue they still didn't do anything beyond our standard in-warranty replacement that would have been covered anyway. The laptops were slow as poo poo even without hardware issues, 5400RPM hard drives and barely adequate hardware made for a 3-4 minute boot time in Win7, before policies were applied.

New gig has a bunch of Lenovo desktops and chromebooks, should be interesting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I forgot all about the problem that prompted the phone calls that prompted leaving Dell.

Everyone in the Office has an Optiplex. I don't know the number, it's not my department.

Apparently they have an issue where the ram slots will stop working. We're not very large either, there's maybe 25 of the things in our office but over a third of them have had the issue. It happens so often even I know the beep code. It's 2-3-2.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

LifeSizePotato posted:

my Precision M4800 just came in...

I want one of these too! I also first looked at Thinkpads, and I also decided against them due to the new trackpads.

LifeSizePotato posted:

I know it makes me weird but I really, really like the aesthetic of the M4800. It looks so serious, all angles and flat matte surfaces.

Oh I agree! It is quite attractive. More laptops should look like that.

Alan Derride
Aug 19, 2014
Sendt my dell into a rep shop 5 times via warranty in norway, i allready knew the problem was with the hard drive after testing it several times, i talked to a useless techie for about 1 hour while he wrote down the issue and "added it too file" sendt in emails as requested with where i found the problem, how i found it and what the problem was and soo forth...

first time, they replaced my ram chips. no change
second time, they claimed cpu error and replaced it (with a newer but weaker one)
third time, they couldnt find an error and after a 30 minute phonecall they agreed to look it over once more
fourth time, they changed the motherboard, they changed the fan as it had started to make a loud screeching sound after the third sendin.

after all this, they never changed the HD and i sendt it in a last time, this time it took them about 1 and a half month to do anything, at wich point i called and told em to keep the laptop
and refund me my cash, 2 months later i got refunded and bought a newer laptop.

after this i have steered away from dell.
i miss the days of old when they delivered decent, cheap machines that worked.
i still have an old dell from 2003, its been upgraded heavely since then, probably the only thing original in it is the tower and HDs, but its been the most reliable machine ive owned

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
^^ Don't buy Dell consumer products.

I just had a user bring in a Latitude E6230 she had spilled "just a little" water in, which I replied is like being "just a little" pregnant. We have Complete Care on it and she hasn't stored anything locally, so no big deal, she will just get a new one.

I plug it in to see what happens, and smoke starts billowing out. After the panic has calmed down I take of the bottom cover, and the whole thing is covered in some sort of goo inside. Don't know and don't want to know what it is, but if the smoke wasn't indication enough, this one is a total loss.

I call up ProSupport and explain the situation and what they want to do is "pick up the laptop, bring it to the workshop and see if any parts need to be replaced". It's not worth it to fight the support monkey, and I curse myself for not saying that it had been run over by a car and had split in half, like I recommended earlier in this thread.

I sent a very angry email to our sales rep and advised him that I took it for granted that he would make whatever escalations necessary to make sure the laptop of smoke and fire would be dealt with quickly, so I'm waiting for his reply now. If he doesn't manage to get poo poo done, I'm going to ask him which instagram filter he thinks will highlight the smoke and flames best.

AgentX
Apr 20, 2002

evobatman posted:

^^ Don't buy Dell consumer products.

Ordered a scratch and dent Latitude E65XX thing for like ~650 dollars as a replacement for my mom's 7 year old Lenovo laptop with missing keyboard keys and Windows XP. The thing came shipped in a box with a piece of cardboard and shrink wrap around it. No foam or packing material of any kind. (Un)suprisingly, the machine starts turning off randomly and BSOD'ing while doing really simple tasks. Take out the battery and and the contact area is jammed to all hell. Returned it and bought her an iPad Air which she loves. That's my Dell story.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Slightly off topic with the iPad Air but my mother has bought tons of crappy super market bargain basement laptops for years and they rarely last partly because they are trash and partly because she is computer kryptonite. So I got her an iPad Air as well so she can use Facebook, surf the interwebs, get her emails and share pictures. If it is anything like my Gen 1 iPad it will last for years and cost about the same a middling laptop.

Back on topic; my Alienware Aurora is three years old next month and thus out of warranty. How long in days will it be until it dies a horrible death? Yes I bought a stupidly expensive Dell PC with a glowing case. I was too lazy to build anything that I could stick 16gb of ram in at the time.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Malcolm posted:

A little late but this absolutely happened to my old company. Purchased about 500 E5420 laptops and maybe 20% developed a crazy static-screen type problem and had to be replaced. I'd never seen displays gently caress up like this, it was like staring into a colorful acid trip. Kind of like the old black and white static from an analog TV set, but a glorious trippy rainbow of failure. Dell denied the problem for a while, and then after it became clear that it was a hardware issue they still didn't do anything beyond our standard in-warranty replacement that would have been covered anyway. The laptops were slow as poo poo even without hardware issues, 5400RPM hard drives and barely adequate hardware made for a 3-4 minute boot time in Win7, before policies were applied.

New gig has a bunch of Lenovo desktops and chromebooks, should be interesting.

Same exact issue. They could ignore us only so long because the company is MASSIVE. It was such a shady deal what Dell pulled with other companies who couldn't throw their weight around like we could. It was Dell's fault 100% but because it was such a huge issue they wouldn't admit to it with other companies.

I no longer have to deal with it thankfully.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I like my Dell R210II that I picked up off of ebay for $200. It has a pretty decent build quality to it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Stealthgerbil posted:

I like my Dell R210II that I picked up off of ebay for $200. It has a pretty decent build quality to it.

Unrelated to this thread, but where did your avatar come from? I have been seeing more and more of those lately.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Moey posted:

Unrelated to this thread, but where did your avatar come from? I have been seeing more and more of those lately.

new newbie avatar.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Moey posted:

That's the new "stupid newbie" avatar. Gonna miss that babby.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I gotta say it's kinda effective, I'm considering actually buying an avatar now.
I was happy with the babby.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

LifeSizePotato posted:

because my Precision M4800 just came in... :ohdear:

Can you give us your impressions?

Also, what is the are between the touchpad left/right buttons? Is it a third button? A scroll area, or just dead space?

And would you be willing to measure the width and depth of the touchpad? :spergin:

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 20, 2014

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Captain Pike posted:

Also, what is the are between the touchpad left/right buttons? Is it a third button? A scroll area, or just dead space?

And would you be willing to measure the width and height of the touchpad? :spergin:

We have a ton of those as well as some 6800's. The engineers have been very pleased with them and they seem to hold up well.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Captain Pike posted:

There's a middle mouse button, if that's what you mean. I actually have it set to left click, because the trackpad/keyboard are off-center and the buttons a bit small and I kept hitting the middle one accidentally at first.

It's kind of annoying that the keyboard is off-center, but I've gotten used to it. I'll rarely use the numpad but it looks to be the standard now on Windows workstations. Keys feel good, though not "old Thinkpad" good. Trackpad works well for me, though the only gesture I use is two-finger scroll. The surface around the trackpad is a nice soft-touch metal/plastic/rubber thing that feels good on the hands.

My impressions are mostly good so far, after about 3 weeks of use. External build quality is great, with the slight exception being that the bezel around the screen has some "give" and flex at the bottom, like it's not secured to anything. I have the QHD screen which is super bright and has good color reproduction, although it loses color accuracy when you move very far to the side of it. On a 15.6" screen, I run W8.1 in 100% DPI mode and it's fine for me.

Performance is great - mine's an i7-4900MQ with 16gb RAM and a 512gb Samsung 850 Pro. The Lenovo I replaced was a Core 2 Duo that took about 2 hours to render a 20-minute video, and I did a 2-hour video the other day on the Dell in about 30 minutes. It has two huge fans, which can be loud if you're really cranking on something, but they work extremely well and the computer stays very cool.

There are tons of ports and connectivity options, which I like.

Every review mentions the weight. It's definitely not an Ultrabook, weighing about 6lbs with the 9-cell battery, but I don't care at all. It's a workstation for me. Reviews also complain about the appearance, but I love the matte metal surfaces and Serious Business look. I haven't really tested the battery life, since I use it plugged in generally, but it's supposedly not too good - about 3-4 hours on a charge at most.

There's a long thread on another forum called SpiceWorks or something where everyone is posting that they got a bunch of lemons, and daily BSODs, and stuff, but I haven't had a single glitch or hiccup or lockup yet. Fingers crossed. My fear is that it's all rosey now but that Dell cheaped out on the motherboard and the capacitors will turn to dust in a couple years. We'll see. It does have a 3-year on-site warranty, at least.

I give it an A- overall. Solid A if the screen had slightly better viewing angles and I had no worries about it dying on me based on that other forum's experience.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 20, 2014

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
We have a ton of M4600, M4700 and now we're on the M4800. They have been great once I managed to beat the configuration we wanted into the Dell rep and I am starting to imprint on my coworkers that it is indeed possible to get our image onto the correct drive in them without removing the other drive. There haven't really been any hardware issues with them for us, and I have no problem recommending them. However, the hardware is slightly more complex than a regular laptop, so getting a bad configuration or having the wrong settings in BIOS and your OS will have a huge negative impact on performance.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

organburner posted:

I seriously hope this kind of poo poo mostly only happens here because this is a small, lovely country no one cares about.

Certainly doesn't happen where I work, if we send out a tech the tech stays on site until it's done. There's only one issue I can think of in recent memory that we hosed up on and that was where a new tech apparently put his harddrive into the machine rather than the one we were supposed to put in. We went back and fixed it as soon as they reported it to us.

I can't imagine treating a customers hardware that badly, i'd get fired on the spot.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

BigPaddy posted:

Back on topic; my Alienware Aurora is three years old next month and thus out of warranty. How long in days will it be until it dies a horrible death? Yes I bought a stupidly expensive Dell PC with a glowing case. I was too lazy to build anything that I could stick 16gb of ram in at the time.

Right on time it starts acting up. OK it was just the cmos battery but it is happening!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Five year rule is pretty solid, most of my PC's last for five years. Granted by the end of those five years I can't even give them away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

For whatever faults their other products have, their 12G servers have been solid. Our production environment runs almost exclusively on R620s and they have been completely and utterly problem free.

iDrac 7 Enterprise is so dreamy. I wish every single piece of equipment I colo'd had iDrac 7 Enterprise, it would make my life so much easier.

Really though, you are going to have a bad customer service experience with nearly any company on a long enough timeline. I just RMA'd an HP switch with lifetime warranty. I didn't hear anything about it for a week. Finally, the guy calls me and sheepishly says "The hard drive on my work computer crashed so all the cases I was working on were wiped out until I got back up and running again. That's why your RMA was delayed by a week." I was dumbstruck that a hard drive on an end user computer could muck up an RMA timeline and that it took a week to get straightened out.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I have not been able to connect to Dell's FTP server from within the Lifecycle controller on any of our PowerEdge servers in months. Which FTP site? Their one and only one, ftp://ftp.dell.com/. Why can't I connect? I have no idea. It just times out, gives an error, then cancels any update. I've been pushing updates one by one over iDRAC and having them install with each reboot.

Unrelated, today I got this letter:

quote:

According to our records, you have received replacement parts under the Dell limited hardware warranty for the product described below, but have not responded to our numerous requests to return the original equipment. Your account is past due and your service tag will be placed on hold on 11/03/2014. Please note that when your service tag is on hold, Dell Technical Support will be unable to issue any further replacement parts for your system until the hold has been removed.

During a PSU firmware update back in August (?) one of the systems switched off... then never came back on. A half-hour later we had two amber LEDs and a dead system. We called and had the PSUs replaced. One of the replacement PSUs had an amber LED when we got it, so we called Dell again, and got replacement PSUs for the replacement PSUs.

We sent back the first set of PSUs (dead from bad firmware update), then sent back the second set of PSUs (one good, one amber LED). We got the usual "satisfaction survey" phone call, and that was the end of it.

The letter I received said PAST DUE and FINAL NOTICE on it. The bill is for $112, and the above note about us not returning the PSUs. How could our first and only letter be the "final" one? How is money past due if we had PSUs replaced under warranty??

I called Dell and asked what the HECK was going on.

"Whoops, our bad. We sent out those letters by mistake." Letters. Plural. As in, I wasn't the only one that received a letter like that.
They did receive the PSUs (all four) by last month, but still sent out the letter this month.

Has anyone else received a letter like this from Dell?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

I have not been able to connect to Dell's FTP server from within the Lifecycle controller on any of our PowerEdge servers in months. Which FTP site? Their one and only one, ftp://ftp.dell.com/. Why can't I connect? I have no idea. It just times out, gives an error, then cancels any update. I've been pushing updates one by one over iDRAC and having them install with each reboot.

Unrelated, today I got this letter:

During a PSU firmware update back in August (?) one of the systems switched off... then never came back on. A half-hour later we had two amber LEDs and a dead system. We called and had the PSUs replaced. One of the replacement PSUs had an amber LED when we got it, so we called Dell again, and got replacement PSUs for the replacement PSUs.

We sent back the first set of PSUs (dead from bad firmware update), then sent back the second set of PSUs (one good, one amber LED). We got the usual "satisfaction survey" phone call, and that was the end of it.

The letter I received said PAST DUE and FINAL NOTICE on it. The bill is for $112, and the above note about us not returning the PSUs. How could our first and only letter be the "final" one? How is money past due if we had PSUs replaced under warranty??

I called Dell and asked what the HECK was going on.

"Whoops, our bad. We sent out those letters by mistake." Letters. Plural. As in, I wasn't the only one that received a letter like that.
They did receive the PSUs (all four) by last month, but still sent out the letter this month.

Has anyone else received a letter like this from Dell?

We received a similar letter for something even dumber. We were getting some sort of inventory sticker applied at the factory to all of our new laptops. For a while when we would send a laptop in for repair or RMA some part they were claiming that we didnt also return the inventory sticker and were charging us $3 a piece for each machine. We switched to Lenovo and havent looked back. Way less fucks ups and hassle to deal with. Dell is only as good as your rep and they dont last long. Even as a premier customer Dell was a pain to deal with.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I wish I knew who thought the reboot times for a typical server with their lifecycle controller bullshit was a good idea.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Are they that different than other servers?

Reboots = forever. I factor in about 10 minutes for just a reboot.

Edit:

Unrelated, but I got to look at some "Gen 13" stuff, like PowerEdge R730, etc.

Dell showed off their new NFC-enabled servers. Tap one with your Android device and it connects to their new management thing for that server.

Many are designed to run in data centers at up to 103ºF/39ºC. No need to keep them chilly (our data centers are set to 72ºF right now).

Apparently iDRAC 8 is way expanded in what it can do, and its web interface is as capable and has all the functionality of their Dell OpenManage stuff.

Signed firmware binaries (not just signed EXE installers). I guess this is for if you keep a local cache of firmware, you can ensure it hasn't been tampered with...(?)

Full-wipe function. Selling a server? 1-button push to wipe iDRAC config, BIOS, RAID, HDDs/SDDs, etc.

New PERC9 cards let you fully disable cache. This is for people like me that decided to buy their nice H710P RAID cards and realized that I cannot run my drives in JBOD mode for ZFS. I ended up ordering the cheap H310 cards and yanking my H710P cards. Dell said their new cards lets you kill the cache so that you don't have to do card swaps like that any more.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

Are they that different than other servers?

Reboots = forever. I factor in about 10 minutes for just a reboot.

Edit:

Unrelated, but I got to look at some "Gen 13" stuff, like PowerEdge R730, etc.

Dell showed off their new NFC-enabled servers. Tap one with your Android device and it connects to their new management thing for that server.

Many are designed to run in data centers at up to 103ºF/39ºC. No need to keep them chilly (our data centers are set to 72ºF right now).

Apparently iDRAC 8 is way expanded in what it can do, and its web interface is as capable and has all the functionality of their Dell OpenManage stuff.

Signed firmware binaries (not just signed EXE installers). I guess this is for if you keep a local cache of firmware, you can ensure it hasn't been tampered with...(?)

Full-wipe function. Selling a server? 1-button push to wipe iDRAC config, BIOS, RAID, HDDs/SDDs, etc.

New PERC9 cards let you fully disable cache. This is for people like me that decided to buy their nice H710P RAID cards and realized that I cannot run my drives in JBOD mode for ZFS. I ended up ordering the cheap H310 cards and yanking my H710P cards. Dell said their new cards lets you kill the cache so that you don't have to do card swaps like that any more.

Wait what :psyduck:

AFAIk all newer Dell RAID cards support passthrough for hard drives to the OS.

You ditched the H710P that has a 1GB or RAM and a decent queue depth and went with the shittiest RAID card that has maybe 256MB of RAM and a documented queue depth that can cause all kinds of lovely issues on IO intensive rebuilds?

Voluntarily?

• Locked thread