Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Skwirl posted:

If Jesus is the son of god in the game, he's not a Unitarian. He could be some other weird protestant sect though.

Actually, I don't think he is in MDickie's game. Like I said, there's a lot of syncretism with vaguely Buddhist philosophy and then the player gets a bunch of game-breaking superpowers that leave you wondering just how much of this stuff MDickie literally believes. It's hard to tell between all the times Jesus (and later Mohammad) berates you for not seeing how obvious MDickie's beliefs are, but I seem to recall The You Testament goes the "We are all the children of God" route.

I'd go back and check, but I still remember enough that I don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
By the way, if anyone's thinking of checking out the You Testament LP, the link to the Final Testament video is busted, but it's still on Chip & Ironicus' site and should absolutely be watched. Dan McNeely Omahdon's smug reading of MDickie's blog posts are glorious.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I just checked, I have 12.5 GB of unsorted and probably incomplete RooseveltMD footage, if someone wants that to upload to Youtube or something I'll see if I can up it somewhere.

You are a veritable font of LP history.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
Okay so I've searched the forums and scoured the archive and master list, and I'm just having no luck.
I'm trying to find a Fire Emblem Awakening SSLP I remember reading almost a year back now. I don't recall who did it, but it was really well done and got me into Awakening. Anyone know if this LP still exists?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

AzureRequiem posted:

Okay so I've searched the forums and scoured the archive and master list, and I'm just having no luck.
I'm trying to find a Fire Emblem Awakening SSLP I remember reading almost a year back now. I don't recall who did it, but it was really well done and got me into Awakening. Anyone know if this LP still exists?

This one perhaps: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547693 ?

It seems it wasn't completely finished so LP Archive lists it as abandoned. As such it doesn't appear in the default list, you have to search for it explicitly.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

AzureRequiem posted:

It does, but it didn't finish all the content (it did finish the main story) and you need archives to read it.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises

ivantod posted:

This one perhaps: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547693 ?

It seems it wasn't completely finished so LP Archive lists it as abandoned. As such it doesn't appear in the default list, you have to search for it explicitly.

That's it! Thanks!

A shame it's not considered finished, as they did complete the main story.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gildiss posted:

The Ultima IX LP by Jewmander was amazing but it was all hosted on viddler.

Here is the thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365571&pagenumber=1

Please tell me there is a way to get that sweet sweet jazz again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO66VFflssQ

Awww, I forgot that one was entirely on viddler. :sigh: If it ever does come back, it has my recommendation as well. Jewmander just does an amazing job conveying why this is one of the most infuriating games to play, ever.

I haven't seen it here yet, so anybody who's a fan of all those fun narrative strategy LP's like Thanqol's raptastic Crusader Kings 2 or Speedball's insane Civilization V should check out shalcar's Total War Shogun 2: Rise of the Samurai (archived) and currently ongoing Vanilla Shogun 2 LP's. In order to spice up the minutia of LP'ing a turn based strategy, shalcar whips up an amazing narrative telling the story of a small clan's rise to power, giving every character their own personality, goals, and story. On top of that, he also goes out of his way to make the LP as instructive as possible. He explains all of his decisions, commentates over battle videos to explain tactics and mechanics, and puts together huge effort posts full of charts and other data if you really want to get into the meat of the game's mechanics. I sucked hard at Rise of the Samurai, but this LP turned me into a wizard at it. Highly recommended.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you haven't already checked it out, everyone should immediately read FactsAreUseless' excellent Pokemon Let's Play. I've been following him since his days of Video James Plays the Video Games, the usenet predecessor to what we now know as the "LP". He knows all the secrets about the game and it's truly a joy to see him play the game that started it all, so to speak.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

There's also Mr. DJB's Pokemon LP, covering a rom hack of Pokemon Red that essentially allows him to catch 'em all without the use of trading. Against all odds, it's a well-edited, informative, entertaining VLP of a Pokemon game!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Although it's not exactly a conventional LP as it's more of a COYA, but I think Neb777's Tie Fighter is worthy of being listed: http://lparchive.org/Tie-Fighter/

It started out as an MS Paint parody from memory with a comedic twist with an addition of forum member's participation and ended up in becoming it's own entity. As far as I know it's the only one of it's kind to make it into the archives. I guess it could be listed as a comedic SSLP even if it's not playing the actual game itself. But it is funny, has forum participation and Neb777 draws it to a conclusion despite the whole thing going off the rails.

I'd also like to see Geop's own Dark Souls LP added to the list http://lparchive.org/Dark-Souls/

I had interest in LP's before but this LP hooked me. I initially checked it out as I had heard a lot about Dark Souls and wanted to see it for myself. Not only is it a blind run it's also co-commentated, funny in places and also with the help of the co-commentary it's informative. It also flows nicely, even though it's not a 100% run it still shows off a lot of extra stuff that is achievable with extra effort with some good editing.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'd also like to see Geop's own Dark Souls LP added to the list http://lparchive.org/Dark-Souls/

I wholeheartedly second this. It's absolutely worth a watch.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I have no idea how I missed this thread until recently, but Interrupter Jones' Army Men: Sarge's Heroes thread is really worth following. He's got rotating guests and the commentary is universally good. If you are at all interested in seeing how PS1 era games handled 3rd person shooting in wide open environments it's a great case study as well.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I dont really like Squints LP of Demon's Souls because it completely ignores the online elements, which are an integral part of the game. I know WHY he did it (easier to manipulate tendency to show off events), but there are ways around it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

FrickenMoron posted:

I dont really like Squints LP of Demon's Souls because it completely ignores the online elements, which are an integral part of the game. I know WHY he did it (easier to manipulate tendency to show off events), but there are ways around it.

No, he didn't show it off because his internet sucked really badly and would boot him out of the game at the drop of a hat.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

senrath posted:

No, he didn't show it off because his internet sucked really badly and would boot him out of the game at the drop of a hat.

Well there is WanderingNewbie's co op version http://lparchive.org/Demons-Souls-%28by-TheWanderingNewbie%29/

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Does anyone know of a good 100% complete playthrough of Metroid Prime Trilogy I could watch? I want to view it with as much quality as possible with the additions the Trilogy gave it. I would really prefer it to be done without commentary, since it seems to ruin the atmosphere for me when people talk over it.

The only LP on the forums is from Blackbelt Bobman from 2008, and all of the videos are dead. I tried looking on YouTube, but quality was either lacking (one just had a camera pointed at an angle towards the screen), there was way-too-loud commentary ( Deceased Crab levels of awful), it was not a 100% complete run, or was in another language.

I would appreciate it if anyone would help me on this matter.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

If you don't want commentary, you could snoop around on Youtube for playthrough footage. I'm sure there's some sorta 100% run somewheres out there.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

AMReese posted:

Does anyone know of a good 100% complete playthrough of Metroid Prime Trilogy I could watch? I want to view it with as much quality as possible with the additions the Trilogy gave it. I would really prefer it to be done without commentary, since it seems to ruin the atmosphere for me when people talk over it.

The only LP on the forums is from Blackbelt Bobman from 2008, and all of the videos are dead. I tried looking on YouTube, but quality was either lacking (one just had a camera pointed at an angle towards the screen), there was way-too-loud commentary ( Deceased Crab levels of awful), it was not a 100% complete run, or was in another language.

I went looking for a second, I only found a Speedrun of the trilogy from a guy recording his TV with a camcorder. If you can't find a straight up LP of a game sometimes you can get a speedrun somewhere if you don't mind minimal or no commentary.

BlackbeltBobman's LPs of the Metroid Prime games were very much products of the time they were made, by the way. The video and audio weren't great, he had a paper list of items he kept beside him that he would pause and scratch things off of as he picked them up, people would come in his room and he'd have conversations with them and not edit out any of it. I don't know if it would be much better than what you can find on YouTube now.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

AMReese posted:

Assuming you're talking about the game, Metroid Prime Trilogy, it doesn't visibly improve a whole lot on the original games. It adds the controls system from Prime 3 to the first two games, makes the first two games widescreen, gives 1 an added bloom effect, and makes 2 slightly easier. All great improvements, but nothing you're going to notice unless you're actually playing the games. If you really want to see, though, I'd suggest just looking for walkthroughs that have "no commentary" in the title.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

Lance Streetman posted:

Assuming you're talking about the game, Metroid Prime Trilogy, it doesn't visibly improve a whole lot on the original games. It adds the controls system from Prime 3 to the first two games, makes the first two games widescreen, gives 1 an added bloom effect, and makes 2 slightly easier. All great improvements, but nothing you're going to notice unless you're actually playing the games. If you really want to see, though, I'd suggest just looking for walkthroughs that have "no commentary" in the title.

I appreciate your response. I thought they might have uprezzed the visuals, but I guess that can't really happen on the Wii with three games on one disc. I thought that perhaps they added some extra stuff to the game, like scenes and other content, but it sounds like they didn't.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

FrickenMoron posted:

Squint posted:

I heard Demon's Souls has a pretty unique incorporation of multiplayer. Will you be showing that?

Unfortunately, no. The wireless connection to the internet that my PS3 makes use of is tenuous at best, and Demon's Souls will dump you unceremoniously to the main menu the instant connectivity is lost-no save, no prompt to check your connection, just a dialog box that pops up saying "lol now u offline" and an OK button which takes you back to the title screen.

Those of you with compatible versions of Demon's Souls, feel free to put together Blue Phantom boss runs or record your Black Phantom invasions and I'll happily add them to a list of multiplayer videos in this OP. I only ask that, to prevent spoilers, you point out in your posting of the video if I haven't yet cleared the area featured in the video.

He wasn't unreasonable and he even invited people to show it off.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

AMReese posted:

I appreciate your response. I thought they might have uprezzed the visuals, but I guess that can't really happen on the Wii with three games on one disc. I thought that perhaps they added some extra stuff to the game, like scenes and other content, but it sounds like they didn't.

Nah, it's fairly bare bones. You really notice the improvements when you're playing the game (especially the widescreen), but on a video it's basically the same game.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Lance Streetman posted:

Nah, it's fairly bare bones. You really notice the improvements when you're playing the game (especially the widescreen), but on a video it's basically the same game.

All the same, I'm working on doing the Trilogy version of Metroid Prime 1, so there will be one soonish.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I just finished ShadowCatboy's Planescape:Torment LP based on the recommendation of this thread. I real enjoyed the depth of the story and by the end of the LP i was enthralled. It felt like i had just completed a great book. It worked so well because most of the writing and dialog was in game text and ShadowCatboy's narrative adaptation was mostly describing gameplay. It's just really hard to write narrative LP's as one person that aren't repetitive

Does anybody have any suggestions of SSLP's that feel as epic as PT?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Sneaky Fast posted:

I just finished ShadowCatboy's Planescape:Torment LP based on the recommendation of this thread. I real enjoyed the depth of the story and by the end of the LP i was enthralled. It felt like i had just completed a great book. It worked so well because most of the writing and dialog was in game text and ShadowCatboy's narrative adaptation was mostly describing gameplay. It's just really hard to write narrative LP's as one person that aren't repetitive

Does anybody have any suggestions of SSLP's that feel as epic as PT?

I'd recommend Scorchy's KOTOR II LP (less narrative focused, though) and Lt. Danger's NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer LP. His LP of the original campaign is also worth reading but it's the MOTB one that really has the effect you describe.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rogue0071 posted:

I'd recommend Scorchy's KOTOR II LP (less narrative focused, though) and Lt. Danger's NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer LP. His LP of the original campaign is also worth reading but it's the MOTB one that really has the effect you describe.

Seconding Scorchy's KOTOR 2 LP. It is the LP that got me into SSLP's in the first place, and he presents KOTOR 2 in a way far, far exceeding anything I have ever seen elsewhere.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Agreed - Scorchy's KOTOR 2 LP is pretty drat good, and shows why, for me, it's easily the better of the two games and could have been so much better still had Obsidian been given more than a year to make it.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Scorchy also did a great LP of Westwood's Blade Runner.

For a more narrative read you might try Fangz's Alpha Centauri SSLP. It jumps around a bit, but does a good job of personalizing a story that was originally told in a very top-down way.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
My daughter is staying with me for a few days so I've put a few things on hold. I've been interested in The Last Express for more years than I can remember, finally bought it and failed at it completely in many numerous ways. I'd like to recommend the LP made by Olive Branch for the game http://lparchive.org/The-Last-Express/

The whole concept of the game is just mind blowing. Olive Branch not only plays the game with ease but also has two concurrent "good" and "bad" playthrough's in each video. The switching between each other is done effectively and shows the differences in choices made at similar time frames. Olive Branch also had help from a forum member and people in real life with translations of Serbian and Arabic dialogue in the game and added them in with subtitles. Also to add to that, Olive Branch has made this LP subtitled with two different persona's for each concurrent playthrough. So far I've caught up with episode six and I'm absolutely loving it. The LP is worthy of a mention even by itself but the effort put into it is exemplary!

Unload My Head posted:

Scorchy also did a great LP of Westwood's Blade Runner.

Seconding this, I love this game and I loved this LP!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm watching through the Kay Plays Dark Souls LP recommended in the OP, and it's fantastic so far - except for one thing that's really annoying me. Does she ever play online? When I realized she's offline, it removed a huge chunk of my motivation to watch since I already know the game front and back.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

KillHour posted:

I'm watching through the Kay Plays Dark Souls LP recommended in the OP, and it's fantastic so far - except for one thing that's really annoying me. Does she ever play online? When I realized she's offline, it removed a huge chunk of my motivation to watch since I already know the game front and back.

I think she did go online eventually, particularly around the Anor Londo area and afterward, but I can't say for sure. I didn't watch the Dark Souls 2 playthrough because I'm still working my way through the game (by which I mean seeing how much dust it can collect), but she's just started Demon's Souls and she's definitely online for that. She's also improved quite a bit technically, both in gameplay terms and in presentation, so it's a good watch.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

KillHour posted:

She does not go online for Dark Souls 1. She does for Dark Souls 2 and Demon's Souls, but honestly I don't think that either of those were nearly as good as her Dark Souls playthrough. A huge part of her Dark Souls playthrough isn't just the way she approaches the game, but how staggeringly fast her improvement was. She went from not even knowing which button L3 was at the beginning to being a pretty great player all around by the end of it, and that's just not there for the later games. In those she starts off great and continues to be great, while also not really offering the "completely fresh" experience that the first LP offered. I haven't gotten more than a dozen episodes into DS2, to be fair, but she is constantly comparing the game to the first one "This boss was just X boss from Dark Souls 1 but Y" and "The world doesn't wrap back in on itself like Dark Souls 1 did" and similar, which while valid criticisms of a sequel I guess I would prefer if she was treating it more as its own thing. This may get better later on when the more original and difficult bosses begin appearing and the game really comes into its own, but for the first good bit it just ground on me a little bit.

Demon's has been excellent so far, though a big part of that is that I haven't actually seen anything of Demon's before.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

She does not go online for Dark Souls 1. She does for Dark Souls 2 and Demon's Souls, but honestly I don't think that either of those were nearly as good as her Dark Souls playthrough. A huge part of her Dark Souls playthrough isn't just the way she approaches the game, but how staggeringly fast her improvement was. She went from not even knowing which button L3 was at the beginning to being a pretty great player all around by the end of it, and that's just not there for the later games. In those she starts off great and continues to be great, while also not really offering the "completely fresh" experience that the first LP offered. I haven't gotten more than a dozen episodes into DS2, to be fair, but she is constantly comparing the game to the first one "This boss was just X boss from Dark Souls 1 but Y" and "The world doesn't wrap back in on itself like Dark Souls 1 did" and similar, which while valid criticisms of a sequel I guess I would prefer if she was treating it more as its own thing. This may get better later on when the more original and difficult bosses begin appearing and the game really comes into its own, but for the first good bit it just ground on me a little bit.

Demon's has been excellent so far, though a big part of that is that I haven't actually seen anything of Demon's before.

The dks2 playthrough does not change, its a constant comparison to dark souls 1 and a lot of whining in the later areas to be honest.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Are there any not terrible video LPs of The Sims 3?

Most of the ones I find on Youtube are either basically vlogs, or are just uninteresting in general

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
BCV: Battle Construction Vehicles is exactly as it sounds, gameplay-wise. Story-wise, it's on a whole other level, starting with the fact that a game about people fighting each other with construction vehicles even has a story in the first place. It starts off crazy and just gets crazier from there. And the voice acting is top notch as expected from a budget PS2 game. Volcano Style just hit what's probably the craziest update yet in it, and it's sort of amazing what a game about battling construction vehicles can pull off story-wise.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

Geop posted:

3) If someone makes a recommendation, don't poo poo on it. If someone enjoys an LP and plugs it, that should be the end of it. Unless, of course, you agree with the suggestion and have more to add as to why people should watch it.

I don't think this is a good idea because it prevents people from offering valuable information solely because it is negative. There may be some drawbacks of an LP that aren't covered by a recommendation that could be useful to know, so it should be allowable to make a recommendation against them. Of course, any critical response should have enough detail like regular recommendations do.

Geop posted:

Recommended LPs

Is this list supposed to cut down on repeated recommendations? Just on this page there were some recommendations for an LP already on the list which doesn't seem very helpful. I imagine that might happen more often as times goes on.
Also, shouldn't this thread be used more to highlight threads and authors which don't have a large following already? It seems wasteful that LP's that already receive a lot of traffic are given a lot of attention here.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Mush Man posted:

Is this list supposed to cut down on repeated recommendations? Just on this page there were some recommendations for an LP already on the list which doesn't seem very helpful. I imagine that might happen more often as times goes on.
Also, shouldn't this thread be used more to highlight threads and authors which don't have a large following already? It seems wasteful that LP's that already receive a lot of traffic are given a lot of attention here.

Many people making recommendations probably haven't read the list since they read the last one. That being said, yeah, the general idea is to highlight those threads that don't get a lot of love. There are some "classics" like Trespasser and everything else that are generally recognized as high quality and people probably want to make sure OH MAN HAVE YOU SEEN THIS poo poo and others may mention "yo man I know you like (popular LPer) did you know he's doing (maybe niche maybe well known game)? gently caress yeah".

Personally I've got a love-hate relationship with the old CYOA books, JosephWongKS just started up Armies of Death taking goon input for choices. It ends predictably. Predictably meaning that the goons aren't intentionally loving up every choice, these books basically just hate their readers.

JordanKai just started up Wario Land: Shake It which is shaping up to be an excellent game. Having played every Wario game except for Virtual Boy, Gamecube, and Master of Disguise (never had a virtualboy or gamecube, heard bad things about disguise), I've always adored the greedy son of a bitch and now I get to see a game I missed out on AND MIGHT PICK UP LATER.

By the same token, SOMEONE MIGHT HAVE MENTIONED IT but Bobbin Threadbare is doing a great LP of Deus Ex. I always feel like I missed out on Deus Ex because I came to the game a while after it had passed its heyday. I can appreciate a lot of the gameplay decisions and a lot of the story, but I can't get into it myself. It's nice to see what all the game has to offer, and all his educational asides on history, science, literature, and (especially) conspiracy theories (love that poo poo) are fascinating.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Mush Man posted:

I don't think this is a good idea because it prevents people from offering valuable information solely because it is negative. There may be some drawbacks of an LP that aren't covered by a recommendation that could be useful to know, so it should be allowable to make a recommendation against them. Of course, any critical response should have enough detail like regular recommendations do.

Well, there's a difference between "I disagree because..." and "those LPs are garbage". I am talking about actually just trashing an LP for the sake of it. I'll clarify a bit on that one!

Also the list is geared toward newer folks. From the top of the section: "Are you new? This should get you pointed in the right direction!"

Maybe in the future I'll put some section near the top to plug a handful of currently-running LPs (ie: if a bunch of folks agree in here about one being very good).

Geop fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
A suggestion I'd like to make as a personal favorite of mine, the Co-Op lp of Secret of Evermore by medibot and MyNameisKaz. http://lparchive.org/Secret-of-Evermore/ It's internet archive only however.