Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

I'll be attending American University in the fall, and I am apartment hunting in DC this weekend. I've poked around Zillow and other places, but I'm hoping to pin down a place to live soon. My budget will be about 2000/mo (will have one roommate) and would prefer somewhere fairly safe and secure (but still affordable), but understand that can be hard, especially around AU. A lot of the places their admissions office suggest are ludicrously expensive- after I settle in, I am going to be working full-time in addition to school so will have a steady income. Is it even going to be possible to live in a somewhat central location on a budget like this, or am I going to have to resort to a really long daily commute? (Or live east of the river?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

global tetrahedron posted:

I'll be attending American University in the fall, and I am apartment hunting in DC this weekend. I've poked around Zillow and other places, but I'm hoping to pin down a place to live soon. My budget will be about 2000/mo (will have one roommate) and would prefer somewhere fairly safe and secure (but still affordable), but understand that can be hard, especially around AU. A lot of the places their admissions office suggest are ludicrously expensive- after I settle in, I am going to be working full-time in addition to school so will have a steady income. Is it even going to be possible to live in a somewhat central location on a budget like this, or am I going to have to resort to a really long daily commute? (Or live east of the river?)

For $2,000/mo you shouldn't have any trouble at all finding a place in DC. Is your roommate putting down $2,000/mo too or is that for both of you?

Regardless, if you're going to be going to American I'd suggest somewhere in Bethesda or Friendship Heights. Do you drive or do you rely on public transportation?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hello soon to be DC goon! First off, you should definitely hit up the DC thread, it's pretty active.

Agreed with this_is_hard. You'll have no problem finding a place for $2000 a month, though you might need to be a little removed from the campus. The area surrounding AU is really expensive, however they have a shuttle to and from the Tenleytown metro that runs constantly, so don't be afraid of a little distance.

In what kind of area are you interested in living?

e: By the way, when I was at AU about half of the people I met who were living off campus but nearby were in The Berkshire. It's quite close to your price range, but you'd probably have to share a bedroom.

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 10, 2014

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Is $2000 your housing budget, or your entire budget for the month?

If it's the former, you'll have zero problems finding a really nice place. If it's the latter, you'll probably be living with at least 3 other people.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Not a Children posted:

Is $2000 your housing budget, or your entire budget for the month?

If it's the former, you'll have zero problems finding a really nice place. If it's the latter, you'll probably be living with at least 3 other people.

Er yeah, that's a really good question. $2,000/mo for housing will be easy, $2,000/mo total budget per month means (ideally) you can only really spend around $650 or so for rent.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

this_is_hard posted:

Er yeah, that's a really good question. $2,000/mo for housing will be easy, $2,000/mo total budget per month means (ideally) you can only really spend around $650 or so for rent.

What do you need $1,350 a month for, assuming tuition is already paid? Electricity, gas, and water might be a hundred or so, food could be a couple hundred, more if you're eating well, then metro will cost some. Still not close to $1,350. That's a pretty big budget for a college student, even in DC.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Florida Betty posted:

What do you need $1,350 a month for, assuming tuition is already paid? Electricity, gas, and water might be a hundred or so, food could be a couple hundred, more if you're eating well, then metro will cost some. Still not close to $1,350. That's a pretty big budget for a college student, even in DC.

Is that really a question?

Most every financial adviser ever will recommend spending 1/3rd of your take home, tops, on rent. not always feasible in the DC area obviously but it's better to have $1,350 than not.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Florida Betty posted:

Parking, car payments, gas, insurance, other debt, cable, internet, cell phone, booze, hookers and other misc. entertainment. You left a lot out that really adds up.

I've never even come close to spending only 1/3 of my income on rent though, and this is out in Rockville. I won't live with other people though.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

this_is_hard posted:

Is that really a question?

Most every financial adviser ever will recommend spending 1/3rd of your take home, tops, on rent. not always feasible in the DC area obviously but it's better to have $1,350 than not.

A lot of that is because you're paying for other things in your life once you hit the work force, plus (ideally) saving some money. $2000 a month when you're in college is a lot more than $2000 a month once you're out of college. I'm not saying he should spend everything he has (particularly if he had to take out loans to do this) but realistically it's going to be tough to find a decent place for only $650.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

IRQ posted:

Parking, car payments, gas, insurance, ...
Go without a car.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Go without a car.

You're funny. :sun:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Go without a car.

He might, actually, need one! :vince:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Go without a car.

IRQ posted:

You're funny. :sun:

If you live near the metro and take public transit to AU, then it's relatively feasible. You can get to most of DC and a lot of Arlington with Metro and on foot so it's not completely absurd if you need the money.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jackson Taus posted:

If you live near the metro and take public transit to AU, then it's relatively feasible. You can get to most of DC and a lot of Arlington with Metro and on foot so it's not completely absurd if you need the money.

Also, from my experience not living in DC, cabs do a nice job of getting you somewhere quickly and relatively cheaply if it's after midnight in DC.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

I moved to DC three years ago and ended up choosing to live in Rosslyn. It's a bit less expensive than DC, although not by much, but the accessibility of the metro, circulator, and such was a big deal for me. The nice thing about DC is that it's small, so everything is easily accessible if you just got yourself a bike. Traffic is a major headache in the city and could cause you extreme levels of stress at times trying to drive to AU in the morning for a test or just trying to get home at night. I was a grad student at Georgetown and sometimes getting there on the GUTS bus from Rosslyn took 40 to 50 minutes, so I ended up just getting a bike and it worked out really well.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Anacostia is pretty cheap, OP

fake edit: nevermind you already made this joke

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Hi. I live east of the river and it's really not bad at all. You're more a curiosity than a target.

You sound like you have the money for the better parts of NW, but anywhere near Eastern Market is just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterfowl
Apr 18, 2005

kedo posted:

e: By the way, when I was at AU about half of the people I met who were living off campus but nearby were in The Berkshire. It's quite close to your price range, but you'd probably have to share a bedroom.
Don't live in the berks. The avalon or the greenbriar are much better options if you must live on the one block south of campus.

• Locked thread