Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The subject matter is not for everyone, to put it lightly, but you could literally watch just one scene of Hannibal talking to someone and notice how goddamn beautiful it is.

Yeah but I don't think that first part is happening :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Apparently the nominated episode of Bob's Burgers was "Mazel Tina," so it drat well better win. But they'll probably give it to Futurama out of pity.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Y-Hat posted:

Apparently the nominated episode of Bob's Burgers was "Mazel Tina," so it drat well better win. But they'll probably give it to Futurama out of pity.

Something to note:

This is the first year Archer has been nominated. This is the first time in 20 years* Simpsons has not been. They weren't nominated in 1994 because they submitted as "best comedy series".

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Island Nation posted:

It's on BBC America. I'd bet no one in the Academy would know where it is in their channel lineup much less watching it except maybe 1 or 2 members and even then for Doctor Who.

But Luther was nominated for like 3 awards...

I don't even watch Orphan Black but even I know this actress is becoming pretty well known for her performances. The show has gotten some pretty mainstream mentions.

I bet the politics of it was they wanted to branch out to cable and do some BBCA shows and they sure as hell weren't going to nominate the biggest mainstream US success, Doctor Who. So it was a tossup between Orphan Black and Luther and oh yeah, doesn't Luther have that guy in it? From that Slave movie? Let's go with that one.

All the nominations are is just ticking various boxes of network, cable, foreign, highbrow, lowbrow, etc. Let's appeal to the mainstream by nominating BBT or Modern Family for the umpteenth time and gently caress Community or Parks and Rec. But we'll throw Poehler in for a nod.

I was legitimately surprised Mad Men got so many nominations. I wonder if the half season next year will be eligible or is this it?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Astroman posted:

But Luther was nominated for like 3 awards...

I don't even watch Orphan Black but even I know this actress is becoming pretty well known for her performances. The show has gotten some pretty mainstream mentions.

I bet the politics of it was they wanted to branch out to cable and do some BBCA shows and they sure as hell weren't going to nominate the biggest mainstream US success, Doctor Who. So it was a tossup between Orphan Black and Luther and oh yeah, doesn't Luther have that guy in it? From that Slave movie? Let's go with that one.

All the nominations are is just ticking various boxes of network, cable, foreign, highbrow, lowbrow, etc. Let's appeal to the mainstream by nominating BBT or Modern Family for the umpteenth time and gently caress Community or Parks and Rec. But we'll throw Poehler in for a nod.

I was legitimately surprised Mad Men got so many nominations. I wonder if the half season next year will be eligible or is this it?
It should. Breaking Bad got split into two half seasons too.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Maxwell Lord posted:

What I don't get is how Hannibal doesn't even have any technical nods. The subject matter is not for everyone, to put it lightly, but you could literally watch just one scene of Hannibal talking to someone and notice how goddamn beautiful it is.

The technical awards are often even more of a joke than the major ones. I love Arrow and understand its drawbacks as a TV show but one of the areas that few if any other TV shows is as on its game is the stunt work. But nope, gotta save those nominee spots for Hawaii Five-O, Revolution and True Blood.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 11, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I mean, like William H. Macy had a few powerful scenes at the end of Shameless this season, so why in the living gently caress Emmy Rossum didn't get anything for pretty much carrying a large part of the season is literally beyond me.

But then again this is the Emmys, so I really shouldn't be surprised.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

Something to note:

This is the first year Archer has been nominated.
That's a shame, because this season of Archer was mediocre. Now if Season 2 were nominated, then I could get behind it taking the prize from Bob's Burgers.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I think these days not getting an Emmy nomination will get you more publicity then getting or even winning one.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

No nomination for Pedro Pascal in Game of Thrones? He must be crushed.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Sober posted:

I mean, like William H. Macy had a few powerful scenes at the end of Shameless this season, so why in the living gently caress Emmy Rossum didn't get anything for pretty much carrying a large part of the season is literally beyond me.

But then again this is the Emmys, so I really shouldn't be surprised.

William H. Macy is a fairly well-known name. Outside of Shameless, Emmy Rossum hasn't been too noticeable - she's mostly in small roles, like the murder victim in Mystic River or Bulma in the Dragonball Z movie.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

hcreight posted:

The technical awards are often even more of a joke than the major ones. I love Arrow and understand its drawbacks as a TV show but one of the areas that few if any other TV shows is as on its game is the stunt work. But nope, gotta save those nominee spots for Hawaii Five-O, Revolution and True Blood.

I had to check online for Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series:

Game of Thrones
Grimm
Hawaii Five-0
Revolution
The Blacklist
True Blood

Game of Thrones make sense just for the Battle of Castle Black. Never watched Grimm, Hawaii Five-0 or The Blacklist so wont comment. Never watched Arrow even though it's a goon favorite; besides you, Alan Sepinwall also mentioned it as a snub. I am suprised Stike Back and Black Sails were not nominated, the broadside scene from the manowar in the Black Sails finale was awesome. Revolution has action scenes in it but I dont think it is award worthy since it amounts to our heros hiding behind a rock while a dozen bad guys shoot at them who they manage to kill all of without getting hurt, and Miles getting into sword fights where the bad guys line up one-on-one or two-on-one, it is pretty cheesy stuff. True Blood makes no sense to me since the action is usually a bunch of vampires moving around at super speeds and it is deliberately campy.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah I don't object to GoT and Grimm actually has some well-choreographed fight scenes so that's okay too. Haven't seen any of The Blacklist so I can't really comment there. The bits of Hawaii Five-O and Revolution I've seen don't indicate stunt work on the level of Arrow or Strike Back. True Blood's presence as a nominee is just a joke.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arrow deserves to win just because Stephen Amell can actually do the Salmon Ladder.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hawaii Five-0 occasionally do stunts that are probably worth at least looking at, though I don't think I would ever give them an Emmy for it. A nomination maybe in a weak year without a lot of other strong shows in that regard.

That the Blacklist is nominated for literally anything at all is completely laughable in every way, unless they nominate Spader for best actor, but that's cheating because everyone else on that show is so god damned poo poo at it that it makes him look even better than he really is.

Also Person of Interest got screwed over again, but that's not really new.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
True Detective really should be in the miniseries category. If that's not considered a miniseries, then American Horror Story shouldn't either.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Sober posted:

It should. Breaking Bad got split into two half seasons too.

It really shouldn't. Is this gonna be a thing for popular tv shows now? Break up the final season into 2 halves to secure an extra set of emmy nominations? poo poo should be put to a stop.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

limeincoke posted:

It really shouldn't. Is this gonna be a thing for popular tv shows now? Break up the final season into 2 halves to secure an extra set of emmy nominations? poo poo should be put to a stop.
No this is AMC trying their darnedest to keep people watching their channel as long as they can while they try to greenlight a Mad Men/Breaking Bad/The Walking Dead-level hit.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's done for whatever production reasons they have, and there's no difference between a "broken up" season and two seasons that are a bit shorter than what you're used to.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

limeincoke posted:

Vince gilligan has been on record as saying that there's no way he could've written 16 episodes of breaking bad in a year, so in brba's case the point is moot anyways

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Todd VanDerWerff posted a pretty great step-by-step breakdown of the idiocy of The Emmys in his new gig at Vox.

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/11/5888379/the-emmy-nomination-process-is-completely-insane

If you haven't looked at any of Vox's stuff yet, please do. They are trying to make the media and by extension the world better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I checked out vox when his gig there was first announced and it just looked like....barely half a step up from clickbait. Is it actually decent?

e: Jesus, seriously? (warning don't actually click that link because it's 29 YouTube videos on one page and will murder your browser)

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 14, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

They actually explain every important point and nuance of a lot of the stories they cover. That alone, however low the bar, makes them better than most of the American media, even if their format is very smart device friendly.

E: Okay if they're using the goodwill they've created to turn into another Buzzfeed then that really sucks. Let's hope that's not happening.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 14, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The whole concept of Vox ("we explain the news to you") seems very condescending and unnecessary.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

sleepingbuddha posted:

True Detective really should be in the miniseries category. If that's not considered a miniseries, then American Horror Story shouldn't either.
To be fair, American Horror Story is rebranded every season.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair, American Horror Story is rebranded every season.

So is True Detective...or it will be, I thought. I'm pretty sure it's coming back, just with a new cast and altered premise.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Arrow deserves to win just because Stephen Amell can actually do the Salmon Ladder.

Amell gave an interview where he said he'd be amazed if the finale's fight scene didn't get a stunt coordination nom and if it didn't it would be proof the Emmys don't consider CW shows to be worth mentioning at all.

At least Arrow is getting tons of attention because people can't stop suggesting that Amell should be cast in the Justice League movie.

And I really have to agree with Sepinwall. The Downton Abbey noms are really surprising given how lackluster the reviewer and fan response to the latest season was.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 24, 2014

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Emmys tonight y'all, (Yes, on a Monday thanks NBC and Sunday Night Football) the one time a year the west coasters get to livepost with the eastcoasters. Enjoy!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's 8 pm eastern Annakie

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Math is hard. (Thanks, fixed.)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

It's 8PM regardless. Stop using irrelevant time zones. :colbert:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
When one is predicting the Emmy winners, do you guess who will win and see how many you got right? Or do you guess who you think should win, and see how many you got right?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Sara Bareilles is performing at this year's Emmys and that's all I care about.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

When one is predicting the Emmy winners, do you guess who will win and see how many you got right? Or do you guess who you think should win, and see how many you got right?

A lot of writers do both.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Then I will! It makes sense, they're measuring two different things which require two different thought processes. Works for me.

It makes a lot of sense for categories like "writing for a comedy" - well okay, Louie, Silicon Valley or Veep is going to win that so I'll say Louie will win that, but Orange is the New Black is the best thing on that list so it should win, but it won't because it isn't a comedy, so I have a will and a should there.

Ahhh arbitrary contests is there anything better?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

Sara Bareilles is performing at this year's Emmys and that's all I care about.

Tonight's music has been brought to you by the year 2007.

2007: the last year we had a thriving economy.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I know you're trolling and all Irish Joe, but gently caress you

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Please don't say mean things about Sara Bareilles. She seems like a nice lady.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Annakie posted:

Emmys tonight y'all, (Yes, on a Monday thanks NBC and Sunday Night Football) the one time a year the west coasters get to livepost with the eastcoasters. Enjoy!

Here's the drinking game.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/here-are-official-rules-your-emmy-awards-drinking--839

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

She's singing for the In Memoriam segment, BTW.

• Locked thread