Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
1. C
2. G - Recruit the guide to be the Steward of our tower. Hardcastle Jeeves is an excellent butler, but he attends to our needs directly. The Steward would handle all issues relating to our evil tower, and work with our trap expert to give her all the supplies she needs, and could be the public face of our organization to any solicitors who come calling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Oh no my precious Kobolds have been reduced to domesticated zoo animals. :(

Sogol posted:

C
G Yes. Recruit the guide using our awesome voice to give us the real info and what is going on behind the scenes of this circus.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Vavrek posted:

1. C
2. G - Recruit the guide to be the Steward of our tower.
+1

Our tower need a tour guide, yes.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

As an Evil Overlord you don't care a drat thing about your fellow travelers. When one of the tries to talk to you, you start laughing evilly or talking with your demon tatoo until they get the hint and leave you alone. You do talk with the guide quite a bit, and learn that his name is Irwin Steve. During one of the rest breaks you ask him:

Sogol posted:

G Yes. Recruit the guide using our awesome voice to give us the real info and what is going on behind the scenes of this circus.

He's taking quite a liking to you so he looks around carefully to make sure no-one is watching before kneeling down to look you in the eye. "Do you really want to know? There's an authentic kooobold tribal meeting tonight. Meet me by the stable doors a little after midnight and you can ask them yoooourself."

Dinner that evening is pretty much what you always imagined traveling/inn food to taste like, but it is surprisingly satisfying after your underwhelming breakfast.

Naughty child that you are, you stay up way past your bedtime. Sneaking out of your room at the inn you meet Irwin Steve and he guides you to the kobold reserve. It takes you about an hour to reach the edge of the preserve, marked only by a brightly painted and happy sign:

"Kobolds are magnificent and fascinating creatures, but also very daaangerous. Just follow my lead and please, don't poke them with a stick." After cautioning you, Steve Irwin leads you deeper into the preserve, leaving the coach-trail almost immediately. It's dark and hard to see, but you think the terrain here is very hilly and drier than most of the surrounding lands. Suddenly, Steve disappears! "C'mon kid, this way" No you can faintly see his hand waving around a cunningly concealed switchback passage way cut into the base of a hill. Heading into the passageway you realize that the switchback not only hides the entrance, but also prevents the light from inside from pouring out. It's actually darker inside the cave, than outside, but you can see faint glimmers of light from inside and it gets brighter as you move through the switchback. When you exit the switchback you see your very first kobold, a sentry about your height conversing with Irwin Steve.

He looks uncertain about letting you in, but finally grunts and gestures you both down the natural tunnel sloping deeper underground. The light, firelight maybe, is coming from down the passage. The tunnel opens out into a cramped underground cavern with half a dozen wrinkled old kobolds huddled around a fire and too many younger kobolds trying to dance in a large ring surrounding the older kobolds.

This is your opportunity to ask the kobolds any questions you want. Actions or questions you think might be inflammatory will require a minivote.

How do you want to recruit the kobolds? It may be wise to ask a few questions before deciding.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Eh, screw informed decisions. Let's go whole hog and recruit them blind! What could go wrong?!

Tell the Kobolds if they join us we'll let them eat Irwin Steve. Sit back and watch the fun.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Do you like dolphins? Do you fear dolphins? Do you want to eat people? Do you want to eat Heros?

How do you feel about goblins, little girls and cats?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Finally kobolds. Finally.

Confuse the kobolds by clicking your tongue a lot. You are a dumbass and you think this is how they speak.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Ask them what their meeting is over, and ask about any issues the Kobold tribes are facing at this time.

Also ask them about their goals and where they see themselves in five years.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Kidnap Irwin and have the kobolds bring him to our tower. We'll then ransom him to the town in exchange for the knowledge of brewing and baking. We'll then build a bakery and brewhouse by the base of our tower with Kobold labour, supervised by Jeeves of course. We'll supply the kobolds with the food and drink they need, keep some for ourselves, and sell the excess. Boom! Food supply, Kobold loyalty and economy problems all solved! With a secure income and minion base, we can then concentrate on our study of Evil!

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Ask them if they would like to be free from this unfair prison called a "wilderness preserve". Also, Ask them who their leader is.

The obvious pretense being to see if we can't convince them or their leader to come and serve us.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

- Do you enjoy your current lot in life?
- Do you have any historical figures?
- How about a once proud history of slaying adventurers?

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Slaan posted:

1. C- What do Kobolds eat? What do they drink? Would you like to be alive or dead when I feed you to them to gain their loyalty

2. G- Practice our evil cackling, pointy-fingered-'just as planned'-hand-temple, and evil glaring at the fellow passengers.

This sounds good.

So slow.

White Noise Marine fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 14, 2014

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
"Kobolden! It is time to free yourselves! Too long have you been deprived the beers and breads that are your birthright!!! Too loooooong. Follow me to my stronghold where we shall rain terror and destruction upon your oppressors!!! Rise up!! Free yourselves from this ignominy!!! Take your rightful place!!!"

At least this is what we think we say. It's pretty exciting stuff. It might be more like: "hi Kobolds." So hard to say.

Oh... I forgot...

"Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!"

Cuz we've been practicing.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 14, 2014

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Slaan posted:

Do you like dolphins? Do you fear dolphins?
"What are dolphinsssss?"

Slaan posted:

Do you want to eat people?
They make a hissing sound and their grins reveal pointed teeth. The oldest kobold answers you: "No, we do not eat people." All the others make that hissing sound again.

Slaan posted:

Do you want to eat Heros?
A different kobold answers, after looking at Irwin Steve consideringly for a long time. "My grandmother told me talesss her grandmother told her of the Heroessss of Man who drove ussss from our homessss and fffforced usss to live here. We have not ssssseen a Hero ssssincccce."

Slaan posted:

How do you feel about goblins, little girls and cats?
"My grandmother told me talesssss her great grandmother told her of having goblin servantsssss. I liked thossse sssstoriesss."

Slaan posted:

How do you feel about little girls?
"Ssssometimesssss they throw ussss food when their carriagesssss roll through our land and their eldersssss oooh and aaah at usssss. They are kind and benevolent."

Slaan posted:

How do you feel about cats?
"Good eating." The kobolds make that hissing sound again and show your their pointed teeth. "The larger catsss think the sssssame of ussss."

Obscil posted:

Ask them if they would like to be free from this unfair prison called a "wilderness preserve".
"We would like very much to be free from thissss placcccce. It issss no ssssecret, you can assssk Irwin Ssssteve if you like. We have been forcccced to live here for 5 of our generationssss and threatened with our complete annihilatiiiion if we leave. Life here issss bad, but it issss ssstill life. Why do you taunt ussss with succch quesssstionssss. Can you free ussss?" You can't even protect yourself. You're pretty sure you can't protect them. You can sure try lying to them though. After all, they can only kill you once, probably.

Obscil posted:

Ask them who their leader is.

The obvious pretense being to see if we can't convince them or their leader to come and serve us.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Ask them what their meeting is over, and ask about any issues the Kobold tribes are facing at this time.

"Our chiefffftain is dead. We meet here to sssselect a new chiefff. He will be advissssed by this counccccil. He ssssshould alsssso have the advicccce of a sssseer, but we have been forbidden the usssse of magic on pain of deathhh. The chieffftain can be replacccced by anyone who can beat the chiefff in sssingle combat, sssso we musssst choossssse wissssely to avoid too many koboldssss from challenging. Previoussssly, the sssseer could deny a challenge to combat, but now..."

HiHo ChiRho posted:

ask about any issues the Kobold tribes are facing at this time.
"Our chieffftain issss dead. It isssss harder and harder to ffffind the ssssacred herbsssss to conssssecrate our dead. There isssss little food and we are forced to live in thessssse crude cavesssss carved at great cost into thesssse hillssss when the sssstoriessss of our anccccesssstorssss tell of great natural cavesssss large enough for all."

HiHo ChiRho posted:

"Here, tormented by humansssss, exccccept ffffor a ffffew kind onessss line Irwin Ssssteve"

the_steve posted:

- Do you enjoy your current lot in life?
"No. Do you?"

the_steve posted:

- Do you have any historical figures?
"Yesss, but not for many generationsssss now."

the_steve posted:

- How about a once proud history of slaying adventurers?
You know the answer to this question. Kobolds are one of the weakest minions available to an evil overlord, but they're sneaky, good at ambushes/traps, and make tolerable servants. They're most useful trait is how quickly they can replace casualties. They have a very fast lifecycle, the older kobolds you are talking to are all probably less than a dozen years old. The guide already told you they were a frequent nuisance in the region until ~50 years ago.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 14, 2014

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Tell them that you want to be their chieftain. Tell them you are a powerful magic user and you will lead them to a new place to live that will be much nicer than these caves. Tell them you will lead the kobolds to greatness as their chieftain, with you as their leader they will no longer have to fear humans. Then show off some impressive magic to show your power.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ask Irwin if we can take any with us to our lair.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

Ask Irwin if we can take any with us to our lair.
"Crikey! Those are some awfully biiig britches, kid." He looks really conflicted, and starts pacing around. Eventually he stops and kneels down to look you in the eye. "They are not supposed to leave the preserve, not ever. Then again, it's not my job to keep them here. I could look the other way if you thought you could protect some of them? Only if you really think you could protect them though, I like you kid, but I like these little guys a whole lot more. If too many leave though, the bosses are sure to notice and they'll just round them up again." Many of the younger kobolds look hopeful, but the elders look pretty skeptical.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
"Look Irwin, may I call you Irwin? Look, here's what we do. You are going to report that several of them have died and we will dig little graves. What? No! Of course they won't have died. I am going to take them to create the beginnings of the Kobold Liberation Army (KLA). They will live in my tower... Um lair... They will come with me and get stronger. Soon they will be many and free... Well, more or less free."

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Beer
Bread
&
Freedom

First for a few, then for many.

Sogol, I like your idea with the graves. They can have died while vieing for the chieftainship.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

One day in the future these mighty kobolds will remember us fondly but with disgust as well. :v: Hah jeez!

Kobold Luther King posted:

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.
Five score years ago, a great Dolphin, in whose symbolic shadow we stand, signed the Ekoboldcipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Kobold slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of captivity.

But 100 years later, we must face the tragic fact that the Kobold is still not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Kobold is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Kobold lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Kobold is still languishing in the corners of our society and finds himself an exile in his own land.

Tempted to do the whole speech out but. :effort: Poor Kobolds.

For reals though plan Sogol.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sogol posted:

"Look Irwin, may I call you Irwin? Look, here's what we do. You are going to report that several of them have died and we will dig little graves. What? No! Of course they won't have died. I am going to take them to create the beginnings of the Kobold Liberation Army (KLA). They will live in my tower... Um lair... They will come with me and get stronger. Soon they will be many and free... Well, more or less free."

This sounds like a good plan.

Also, mention that we have a goblin servant to help us?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

"Can't we kill take down these "bosses" and own this place?"

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Tell the kobolds of our magical properties as an Evil Overlord and convince them we can stand in as a replacement Seer. Declare Irwin honorary chieftan; anyone who disagrees can challenge him in single combat. Entice the whole lot back to our lair with promises of protection, sanctuary, traps, and benevolent little girls.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ask Irwin about the Bosses. What sort of leverage do they have over the kobolds to keep them imprisoned?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah Offer to be the new kobold Seer

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nyaa posted:

"Can't we kill take down these "bosses" and own this place?"

Irwin replies: "I like you kid, but you're still just a kid. They're adults and wouldn't hesitate to break you over their knees if they think you're a threat."

the_steve posted:

Ask Irwin about the Bosses. What sort of leverage do they have over the kobolds to keep them imprisoned?
"Hostess and Sam Adams beat the various kobold tribes when they were much stronger. Hostess is still alive and checks in to make sure they stay on their reservation. Even if she wasn't, the heroes she and Sam Adams trained would be more than able to do it again if they decided it was necessary. Word of the whole tribe packing up and leaving the reservation would convince them it was necessary."

Ranccor
Mar 14, 2009

Queen of the net.

A Terrible Person posted:

Also, I'm not putting the concept out as a legitimate theory, but just something that is going to forever be hanging out at the back of my head.

And now it's South Park: The Quest for my Teddy. Thanks.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Beside what has been said for the self revelation and recruiting speech, use our awesome magic and extreme charisma to do it in the form of Disney song montage instead.

I could write the script if needed

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 14, 2014

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Sogol posted:

Voting This

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rahul posted:

Voting This

Also voting that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The eldest kobold answers in their sibilant accent: "We would like very much to be free from thissss placcccce. It issss no ssssecret, you can assssk Irwin Ssssteve if you like. We have been forcccced to live here for 5 of our generationssss and threatened with our complete annihilatiiiion if we leave. Life here issss bad, but it issss ssstill life. Why do you taunt ussss with succch quesssstionssss. Can you free ussss?"

Seizing the moment, you turn to the guide who you befriended with your honeyed tongue.

Sogol posted:

"Look Irwin, may I call you Irwin? Look, here's what we do. You are going to report that several of them have died and we will dig little graves. What? No! Of course they won't have died. I am going to take them to create the beginnings of the Kobold Liberation Army (KLA) Association (KLAs). They will live in my tower... Um lair... They will come with me and get stronger. Soon they will be many and free... Well, more or less free."

When you tried to say Kobold Liberation Army your tongue refused to pronounce the word you wanted and instead twisted it into Association. It was as if, for a moment, a superior will had seized control of you body again while your cat tattoo burned with a taste of hellfire. Everyone seems excited and half of the dancers leap forward to volunteer.+4 kobold hunters Two of the dancers even want you to talk to their mates. In the conversations that follow sweet, persuasive words flow from you without effort and you can tell that most of those listening are persuaded and several more ask to join you. The kobold council is still cautions though. The harsh lessons of their people's long enslavement has taught them caution. In the end, the Kobold council agrees to let all of the initial volunteers go with you, as well as any of their spouses who want to. +2 kobold servants, courtesy of the cat charm.

In order to avoid being detected you will have to travel with your new recruits at night and you set out at once. If you push hard you will arrive back at your tower by dawn of the second night. Irwin reluctantly returns to his day job of guiding tourists, never realizing how close he'd come to getting to live in what might one day be the world's greatest creation of strange and vicious animals. Such is the whimsical way in which Evil Overlords dash the dreams of others.

Day 6, Dawn:

You finally arrive at your tower just as the sun sends it's first revealing rays advancing across the land. It has been a long and difficult night march for you. Unlike your new minions, you do not see well in darkness and you stumbled often. Without the aid of the kobold servants you don't think your 8 year old legs would have made it. You are really looking forward to sleeping in your own bed, especially since you need to be at your best for the Hero's arrival tomorrow. Unfortunately, there's a problem. Two of them really.

First, your front gate has a new decoration. Hardcastle Jeeves, your goblin butler and longest serving minion, has been strung up by his huge ears ears and is hanging right above your front entrance. Penelope Peril, your devious trap expert, is giggling up at him. As soon as she spots you she rushes over: "I'mmmmmm hungry." She whines. Worringly, she's looking at your kobolds as if she wonders if they're food.

1. Do you want to get Jeeves down? It might upset Penelope.
A) Yes, I cut through the ropes holding him up. It looks like a long fall.
B) Yes, I order Penelope to let him down
C) No, it's his fault for letting her trap him and I tell him so
D) Write in

2. What do you want to feed Penelope?
E) Nothing, we're out of food and I don't know where food in my tower comes from because that's minion work.
F) A kobold servant. It's not like they're good for anything else anyways.
G) I freed Hardcastle Jeeves, I make this his problem.
H) Write in

3. You are tired. Very tired. As tired as any dolphin has ever been.
I) I go to sleep at once, and will wake refreshed and ready tomorrow to deal with the Hero
J) I will take a short nap, and will wake at Noon. I will be a little tired tomorrow
K) I will draw on the demonic energies in my cat tattoo to re-invigorate myself. There will be a cost and might annoy the cat since I asked for magic might not physical might, but if it works I will likely be able to work all day today and tomorrow.
L) Write in

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

1D. Tell Penelope that Jeeves is the butler who serve food, so bring him down if she wants to eat.
2G. Hardcastle Jeeves' problem. Tell him to bring out the best stuff. No alcohol.
3J. Short nap and then prepare everyone for tomorrow's battle.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 15, 2014

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Nyaa posted:

1D. Tell Penelope that Jeeves is the butler who serve food, so bring him down if she wants to eat.
2G. Hardcastle Jeeves' problem. Tell him to bring out the best stuff. No alcohol.

This is a solid plan

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Nyaa posted:

This sounds good to me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nyaa posted:

+1

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Nyaa posted:

Make it so.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Nyaa posted:

Yup.

Plus traps. Lots of traps.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Nyaa posted:

:bandwagon:

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Nyaa posted:

Sure.

Hm, we'll have to be careful about bandwagonning this too hard, lest we commit so dramatically that our mind snaps and we finish the hero's job for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

Nyaa posted:

I disagree with the short nap because that's when Colonel Sir Whiskerybottoms will no doubt take over our fragile dolphin meat form and wreak untold havoc in terms of mutilated mice, slow-witted birds, and shoes beneath the bed which are pooped-in. Abuse magic/substances, abuse them hard.

• Locked thread