Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Got my Ninja to a decent spot for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
RNG hosed me, oh well.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Heads up to anyone wanting to get in on this, there's a new event happening that rewards you for leveling up from July 17th until August 7th. It's not retroactive (gently caress you I wanted those 80 gems!) but this is a NICE headstart for anyone new. Level 7 gives 30 gems, 10 gives 50, 15 gives 100 energy (note: your energy CAN pass your normal max if you get it from like the fountain or whatnot), 20 gives a rare summon scroll, 23 is 100k gems, and 25 is 100 gems.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, I know that evolving a monster resets its level to 1 - but are the individual skill levels reset to 1 for a monster when it evolves?

How about when a skill changes due to Awakening?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just started playing and drat if the presentation isn't great. I'm a huge PAD whale but I think I like this game quite a bit. I added my name to the spreadsheet as MarcusSA.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I don't know if its just me but I have a terrible time making decisions in this game. Not being able to fully tell for sure which monster is better than the next makes me really finicky about making any big decisions.

You awakened a monster you regret? Well gotta wait til that dungeon is available again in a week to farm the resources.
Thought a monster was useless and used it as exp? Better pray to the RNG gods to get it again.
Thought you found a good monster gave it runes and powered them up and realized it wasn't worth it? There goes some good runes and mana.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game and I understand that its still very new but I just have the worst time trying to decide if something is worth it in this game. Like if there was a list that had best tanks in descending order, hard hitters, support, AOEs, healers and such would be awesome for me and maybe other people as well.

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Drevoak posted:

I don't know if its just me but I have a terrible time making decisions in this game. Not being able to fully tell for sure which monster is better than the next makes me really finicky about making any big decisions.

You awakened a monster you regret? Well gotta wait til that dungeon is available again in a week to farm the resources.
Thought a monster was useless and used it as exp? Better pray to the RNG gods to get it again.
Thought you found a good monster gave it runes and powered them up and realized it wasn't worth it? There goes some good runes and mana.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game and I understand that its still very new but I just have the worst time trying to decide if something is worth it in this game. Like if there was a list that had best tanks in descending order, hard hitters, support, AOEs, healers and such would be awesome for me and maybe other people as well.

Try this one, from the OP: http://imgur.com/a/e4MXB

I read that it is a little outdated but it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Philosopher King posted:

Are you guys absolutely positive bosses drop off dungeon runs? I've run the same boss fight about 100 times now and yay for a sackload of runes but not a single boss drop. Do I have to run it on the harder modes?

I still have no idea what I should save to level and what I should fuse. I'm sitting on as many monsters as I can until I find out.

I just got the boss for the first region to drop a couple of hours ago so yeah they do. I ran it about 15 times on Hard.

Also my luck seems to fluctuate so wildly in this dang game. After days of getting nothing but silver star fodder from my summons, yesterday about 50% of my builds were 3 stars (nothing good but good for evos) and I got a mystic scroll that in a dungeon that gave me a Sylphid which is doing pretty good for me. Now today I'm back to only fodder. Like I've done a ton of builds and have only gotten like two not silver star monsters. Oh well.

Also I'm a big dummy and just figured out today what the whole Bingo thing was.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

There's a rough tier list in the OP.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

MMOs & Welfare posted:

Try this one, from the OP: http://imgur.com/a/e4MXB

I read that it is a little outdated but it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Yeah I've been using that to get a general idea but my question is how exactly are they graded? Like is a fire golem a better tank than a water serpent? Even though the water serpent is graded higher it doesn't have the barrier passive like the fire golem.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

My Hellhound is 3* and L25. I'm going to awaken him next. Do you guys feel it is worth it to make him 4*? I've almost got a third fodder 3* to evo with again. My Fairy is already 4*.

e: Remember to add as many friends as you can! I just got 5 wind archer pieces from a goon having that secret dungeon up.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 18, 2014

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

My Hellhound is 3* and L25. I'm going to awaken him next. Do you guys feel it is worth it to make him 4*? I've almost got a third fodder 3* to evo with again. My Fairy is already 4*.

e: Remember to add as many friends as you can! I just got 5 wind archer pieces from a goon having that secret dungeon up.

If you need another fire attacker, Hellhound isn't bad. That said - the fire Harpu gets a 20% heal and strength buff to the whole party ability when awakened, and has a heal-blocking attack, so if you're making a crazy fire team you could investigate her instead.

Finally got the last Mid magic I needed to awaken my fire reaper. I think I dumped 70 sta into getting just this one - b4 does seem a little better about it, but it's not something I can autobattle, either. Now I need another 20 to awaken two more monsters :qq:

Also, two mystic scrolls have come up in the shop today. I am now flat broke.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Tsurupettan posted:

I evolved and awakened him and god drat he is like the best thing I have right now even if he is a total glass cannon. But then I also haven't gotten anything really good yet and was able to get each of his abilities up to level 3.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I just started playing as Rootballa - game looks cute so far, wondering if it'll hold up at all.

batwang
May 15, 2002

I call on Cardassians everywhere to rise up. Rise up and join me, I need you to be my army. If we stand together, nothing, can oppose us. Freedom is ours, for the taking!

Tsurupettan posted:

I awakened this guy and almost have his skills topped off and all I can say is god drat. He chews the crap out of anything and his awakened crit buff ability is very helpful. Like someone else said though he is a glass cannon but even with my lame 2 star runes at or around +6 he can still take at least one round of punishment and he usually always is the first attacker. So very good at taking out someone right off the bat.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Where are you guys getting extra fire Hellhounds to raise his skills? I saw a water hellhound in the store once but that's it.

Also what's the difference between 1-3* runes? I have a 1* rune that's sick as hell, and then a 3* rune that's like... a pathetic amount of hp and that's it. And then some that are vice versa.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Better * runes have higher stats on their main attribute.

You don't need hellhounds of fire to increase skills. A water or wind hellhound will increase them as well.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

Where are you guys getting extra fire Hellhounds to raise his skills? I saw a water hellhound in the store once but that's it.

Also what's the difference between 1-3* runes? I have a 1* rune that's sick as hell, and then a 3* rune that's like... a pathetic amount of hp and that's it. And then some that are vice versa.

From Unknown summons, mostly; I think one or the other level has them as a drop, too.

Higher rank runes have correspondingly higher base stats and greater steps. For example, a +3 atk % rune at 1* will give you 4% atk; the same rune at 3* will give you 10%. In general, you want to go 1/2* -> 3* -> 5*; 4*s aren't enough of an improvement over 3*s that it's worth spending all the money grinding them up again.

Lastly, ha ha what:

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
In as Hughgrect, been enjoying the game so far.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Thanks for the info. So is it worth it putting together single color teams? I have five or six great fire monsters and it'd do ridiculous damage and crit constantly but then I'd run into water monsters and... :smithicide:

e: In retrospect it's at least worth having that kind of team for dungeons that only feature one color.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 18, 2014

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I'm in as Ipsum

I know this was kinda covered in the OP, but if I have like 500ish crystals (the red ones) should I take a gamble on a couple summons or should I just buy more xp boosts.

I'm also stuck on the last Telain Forest fight (and had a bit of trouble getting there). Anyone care to comment on my monsters? Here is what I have:

code:
3*-W-Fairy
3*-F-Fairy
3*-A-Garuda
3*-A-Bounty Hunter
3*-F-Hellhound
2*-A-Hellhound
2*-A-Vagabond
2*-F-Warbear
2*-A-Elemental
2*-W-Imp
2*-F-Pixie
2*-W-Viking
2*-W-Gardua
That fire hellhound does easily thrice the damage of anything else I have with Fatal and Blade runes.

zeesik
Nov 30, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lorem ipsum posted:

I'm in as Ipsum

I know this was kinda covered in the OP, but if I have like 500ish crystals (the red ones) should I take a gamble on a couple summons or should I just buy more xp boosts.

I'm also stuck on the last Telain Forest fight (and had a bit of trouble getting there). Anyone care to comment on my monsters? Here is what I have:

code:
3*-W-Fairy
3*-F-Fairy
3*-A-Garuda
3*-A-Bounty Hunter
3*-F-Hellhound
2*-A-Hellhound
2*-A-Vagabond
2*-F-Warbear
2*-A-Elemental
2*-W-Imp
2*-F-Pixie
2*-W-Viking
2*-W-Gardua
That fire hellhound does easily thrice the damage of anything else I have with Fatal and Blade runes.

You can level up the skill of the fire hellhound with your air hellhound if you don't plan to use it. Same with garuda. Fairy probably not, as you don't have a real replacement yet. Further make sure your monsters have filled up all their rune slots and have upgraded them a few levels.

If you haven't filled up the bingo now might be the time to do it. You can get all the gems now and once done you might have leveled up enough to continue in the campaign.

As for your gems, if you have patience wait until you have 750 gems and buy the special pack. Right now you get at least 16 a day from dailies and the arena. Depending on how far you are in Cairos you can get 5 gems per cleared dungeon there. I wouldn't buy xp boosters, your collection is quite limited and you might get monsters you want to use later.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Looking at the Glory shop items it seems like it would be a good idea to try and grind out as many as you can per day.

The Mysterious Plant is 50 points and if I am reading this right it increases your energy gain rate by 3% which isn't huge it would add up over time making it a pretty drat good investment.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The cost per level goes up quite a bit.

I'm going to be dumping a ton of crystals later into energy refills. Going to try to awaken my vampire tonight, and depending on how that goes, my ninja will be behind it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gold 1 stars can be safely fed away right?

Also how are people leveling up their monsters. I don't seem to get that much exp when doing battles. My mons just seem to level super slow.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Annexed posted:

Gold 1 stars can be safely fed away right?

Also how are people leveling up their monsters. I don't seem to get that much exp when doing battles. My mons just seem to level super slow.

I slowly sub in new monsters while grinding the highest exp value stage from whatever I need the bingo on that I can safely do on autoplay. Like right now I'm doing Tamor Normal East a billion times. :v:

e: It might change later for me but right now I feel exp boosts aren't worth it. Maybe when I need to catch 5*/6*s in levels.

e2: Thank you merchant. :v:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 18, 2014

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Tsurupettan posted:

e: It might change later for me but right now I feel exp boosts aren't worth it. Maybe when I need to catch 5*/6*s in levels.
Once you unlock hard mode, even the first stages are ~500xp a pop. So yeah, I'd agree with this, unless you're deathly allergic to grinding. There's better stuff to spend 100+ gems on. On the same vein, as a heads up, you don't need to fight the boss over and over to get his drop. I was farming up stage 3 on hard for a decent rune and got Inugami as a treasure drop instead. :stare:

limited fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 18, 2014

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

limited posted:

Once you unlock hard mode, even the first stages are ~500xp a pop. So yeah, I'd agree with this, unless you're deathly allergic to grinding. There's better stuff to spend 100+ gems on. On the same vein, as a heads up, you don't need to fight the boss over and over to get his drop. I was farming up stage 3 on hard for a decent rune and got Inugami as a treasure drop instead. :stare:

Oh God thank you for this. I've just been farming the boss not that he's hard or anything just kinda boring. Also this game really wants me to run a mono blue team. I have 5 3 star blue mons.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Man natural ****s are so much better than their evolved counterparts. I can't see myself ever evolving past 4 for any reason at all. Also, the secret dungeons your friends find give your monsters (a tiny bit of) xp but not you. They're a fun idea but unless you have a team that can clear 5 waves quick and easy don't even bother.

also also i found the secret most annoying arena team ever:

(the wind lady is sylphid, she has a 3-turn all-team invulnerability shield on a 6-turn cooldown hahaha)

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Man natural ****s are so much better than their evolved counterparts. I can't see myself ever evolving past 4 for any reason at all. Also, the secret dungeons your friends find give your monsters (a tiny bit of) xp but not you. They're a fun idea but unless you have a team that can clear 5 waves quick and easy don't even bother.

(the wind lady is sylphid, she has a 3-turn all-team invulnerability shield on a 6-turn cooldown hahaha)

That is some bullshit haha. I finally got lucky with unknown scrolls and got 3 ***s out of 14 scrolls in one run. Gots me an Epikion Priest to replace my flagging fairy/light garuda. Also got a wind serpent, not sure if I want to use him though.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I use Fairy and Water E Priest for 99% of my teams, whether it's PvP or PvE.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
I managed to pick up a Fire 4* Undine through a series of poor (but free!) decisions, and she seems ridiculously strong.

Her skills are:

Leader Skill: Fire monsters get +40% defense.
Fire Drop: Single-target Fire attack (Whatever)
Fire Frenzy: 1-hit Fire AoE attack, heals your lowest HP unit for 20% of its max HP (4 Turn base cooldown)
Share Life: Redistributes your party's life so all of your units have similar remaining HP, then heals all of your units for 10% of their max life.

Share Life has been absolutely incredible for me, since it's a 3k+ HP heal when the AI is focusing one of your units. This is probably the first time i've been so lucky with an early roll in one of these games, but i'm definitely happy with it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Niton posted:

I managed to pick up a Fire 4* Undine through a series of poor (but free!) decisions, and she seems ridiculously strong.

Her skills are:

Leader Skill: Fire monsters get +40% defense.
Fire Drop: Single-target Fire attack (Whatever)
Fire Frenzy: 1-hit Fire AoE attack, heals your lowest HP unit for 20% of its max HP (4 Turn base cooldown)
Share Life: Redistributes your party's life so all of your units have similar remaining HP, then heals all of your units for 10% of their max life.

Share Life has been absolutely incredible for me, since it's a 3k+ HP heal when the AI is focusing one of your units. This is probably the first time i've been so lucky with an early roll in one of these games, but i'm definitely happy with it.

Still playing Pocket Knights?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Zotix posted:

Still playing Pocket Knights?

I am! I'm still enjoying the game, but it's at an end-of-cycle low right now so I don't have a ton to do. 1.8 looks interesting, at least.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

MPLS to NOLA posted:

A lot of 2* and 3* monsters are actually really loving good and you should absolutely level them, unless I guess you're just shoveling wheelbarrows full of money into this game. An incomplete list of stuff I know about, so people don't accidentally fuse them away:

Red Inugami is a complete shitwrecker on offense and pretty durable to boot; farm them (at a comedically low drop rate) from the Volcano. Red hellhound is a glass cannon that's only okay-ish later on, but if you go for the Red Inugami, you'll find yourself swimming in hellhounds and red hellhound is terrifying once max-skilled. Yellow Warbear is a credible tank and also the only easily farmable way I know about to kill those God Damned blue priestesses in the arena with the mana shields. Yellow yeti is the best offtank/healer in the game I know of, and it's a freaking 2*. Blue howl is really easy to skill up, and even unskilled is arguably better than the starting fairy (it's a monster of a healer once skilled up).

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

drat, this game gets loving real at Faimon Volcano. :v: I need another good water unit to run in my team so it's all water, or just do it 5-6 times a day off the back of friend's units.

e: I guess I will farm up a water howl.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 19, 2014

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Got a 5* blue Occult Girl from the 75 gem summon, and even at level 13 she does the most damage on my team and has the strongest heal (in an AOE no less). I still have loads of friend slots as Sreegs so if you need a beast mode utility blue friend monster add me!

Any consensus on the Bounty Hunters? I have them in red and yellow, the red has a really nice AOE crit rate/defense buff but the yellow one has a ridiculous AOE attack that gives another turn on kill.

Edit: any idea if the stun rate rune affects all kinds of CC?

Thinking fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 19, 2014

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Make sure you are creating an account with the game, and aren't just playing tied to your device. I just was forced to log in again, and I bet that if I was playing on the device I might have lost my data.

Also, 5* drop rates are loving garbage. That is all.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 19, 2014

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
So far I am really enjoying this game, but I have a couple noobie type questions:

I read here that you can upgrade a monsters skill levels by feeding them monsters from the same family. Does this hold true if you feed an awakened monster something from the original family? I.E. If I feed three Garudas to Teon (awaken light Garuda) will I still get the skill level increases?

Is the Tranquil Forest building useful enough to justify spending crystals on the cash shop versions? I am only level 12 in game so I can't test for myself but I would be willing to save up crystals if the buildings are worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

HughGRect posted:

So far I am really enjoying this game, but I have a couple noobie type questions:

I read here that you can upgrade a monsters skill levels by feeding them monsters from the same family. Does this hold true if you feed an awakened monster something from the original family? I.E. If I feed three Garudas to Teon (awaken light Garuda) will I still get the skill level increases?

Yeah that's the case.

• Locked thread