Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Started playing this a few days back as Ayndin.

It's pretty fun, though the matchmaking for the arena seems depressingly lovely, what with me frequently having a list full of people 2x my rating/several levels ahead of me. It'd help if I'd managed to find some decent wind monsters, also - water seems to be head and shoulders the most common defensive type.

As a note, save your crystals - I'm barely a week in and I've got nearly enough from quests/clears/drops to pick up a premium pack of good summons, which will hopefully get me at least one nice thing. They're fairly generous with them, though - you can grind for one in PvP each week which isn't too hard even if you've got a terrible team like me, you'll get one out of dungeons every day or so, maybe one out of the daily spin. They'll probably give you terrible crap like catgirls, but at least you get to pull frequently.

Also there's a couple of events going on right now; from noon to 2 PM PST and 8 PM to 10 PM PST for the next few days, all non-secret dungeons are double mana (money) drops, so you can get some money while grinding runes or XP or whatever. They also have a secret dungeon (clear at least a floor of it for a token towards summoning the monster) for the water bounty hunter, who seems pretty non-lovely, for the next week or so.

Heep water Howls if you get them - they awaken cheaply for an AoE heal/cleanse, and I'm betting money that a high-skilled one will be a giant pain in the rear end on defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

DontMindMe posted:

Is the Starter pack worth it?

I picked it up, mostly because after an hour or two of playing I could tell I was going to have at least five dollars worth of fun with the game (also I've had a little iTunes money sitting around for a while). It seemed reasonable for what it cost, if I'm remembering right - it was a mystic scroll, 12 hours of double XP, 150ish crystals, and 10k mana? While you probably won't get anything amazing from the scroll, it'll likely be at least solid enough to lean on for a while, and the rest is a nice push. The XP boost will apply immediately so you might not want to buy it right before you go to bed.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

DontMindMe posted:

No crystals in my pack :(

No, you had it right, it was the unknown scrolls for me too. I just have the memory of a goldfish. Given the mystic scroll is about 75 crystals and the XP boost works out to around 50, it's cost-effective for the price, assuming that's the kind of thing you'll want. It's a decent push for the early game for sure. You'll be swimming in unknown scrolls before long though.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Zotix posted:

You could possibly purchase that, but you are right you could replace her at any moment. I personally bought an angelmon pack today for 30. You get 750 crystals, 100 energy, angelmons of the color of your choosing, and 50k mana. It's only available once a day and I'm pretty sure if you decline it, you can't see it again until the next day.

The fairy is a pretty good unit regardless - her sleep spell, when you awaken her, is handy CC in PvP and such, and outside of a Howl is probably your best healer option not out of the crystal/mystic scroll roulette. That said, she is also not too hard to awaken on your own - you can get the mid/low waters farming B2 of the water dungeon on Wednesday, which should be simple even with basic units, and the mid/low magics whenever from the magic dungeon B2 which is about as hard. That said if you're buying crystals anyway the angelmon pack is a good deal - 750 crystals would run you $30 so everything else is just gravy.

Zotix posted:

Also, there seems to be a growing consensus that crystal summon is better than mystical summon. Yes you get more mystical summons for the same $ account, but people seem to be having better luck from crystal summon, myself included.

It's only one more scroll so if you have a better chance to get not terrible poo poo that way I'm all for it. I'd been saving for a premium pack but I don't care about the angelmons too much (I've got bunches) and you blow all the mana on the scrolls anyway so it's really not a big loss to just do crystal summons. When I hit 750 in a few more days I'll probably do a bunch of those.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Largepotato posted:

e: One question, do monsters lose their awakening status when they evolve?

Nope, once you awaken a monster it stays that way.

Got a fire Grim Reaper out of Unknown scrolls when I realized I had twenty of them and started burning them. He's gonna team up with my fire magical archer and turn secret dungeons into a big old AoE party.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Jibo posted:

Went ahead and made us a guild. Feel free to join The Goon Squad.

I've sent a request a couple of times with no luck.

Gonna have 750 crystals later today; I'm not convinced (nor is the subreddit as far as I can tell) they're any better than mystic scrolls but the delta is small enough that I figure I'll give it a shot.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Ten crystal pulls, ten terrible 3* monsters. Well, nine and a wind magical archer, who I guess is pretty good.

Still getting my rear end ruined on defense, though, and my matchup lists is always almost 100% 'higher level, more rating'. There was a blissful six or so hours yesterday when there were some not totally bullshit on my end matchups available, but with the new arena week that seems to have left.

Here's the state of my 3*+ box (ignore the 3* boar, he's evo fodder). I'm focusing on my Grim Reaper some at the moment, and will probably start leveling the wind archer before long, but if there's a coherent team anyone can suggest, I'm all ears - unless the issue is runes? I've got all my guys fully runed in what seems like sane ways, but they're mostly 3* runes at +3.

Plan to sort out this crapheap a little is to feed off the wind golem for a skillup, maybe the useless lovely r/b catgirls to the wind one (who while also lovely is one of my few decent wind monsters).

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Largepotato posted:

Is there any list of 2* monsters that can be worth evolving?

The short answer is 'anything that can be awakened is potentially useful if evolved and awakened.'

A longer answer is that I think some of the 2*s are worth investing in if you get the chance. The water Howl is fantastic, easily rivaling or beating Fairy as a healer, and you can get them to drop from the sixth area so they're less terribly RNG to get/skill up. I've heard light Howls are similarly good.

Your starting fire Hellhound is not bad; no interesting leaderskill or anything but he does okay damage and gets a full-party strength up skill when you awaken him (relatively cheap to do so, too).

Wind and fire Imps seem like they could be good; I've run into a few leveled and awakened in the arena and they hit really hard.

The water Warbear gets a self-rez on death when awakened which is interesting, but I think you're better off going with the wind one - on awakening, it gets an attack that does more damage based on how much damage it's taken. I've seen it do upwards of 15k damage - super nice for popping those goddamn water Epikon priests.

The water elemental gets a 100% damage shield which seems like it could make for an okay tank, but I'm not sure it's good per se.

The fire Harpu is supposed to be an okay healer, which might be relevant if you're looking to assemble a monofire team (an option given a very strong attacking lineup of relatively common monsters with reaper/magical archer/inugami). Haven't had one so can't say for sure.

When in doubt - if you go to the monster screen and hit the little person-head button on the monster info page, you'll get to a community opinion page for the monster; while much of it is trash there's usually one post that has a tactical breakdown of the monster to some degree, plus suggested runes.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Zotix posted:

Don't worry about PvP rank right now. I'm purposefully tanking my rank so that I can fight easier people and get glory points. Screw PvP rank, worry about glory points. Tank your rank so that you can get good PvP glory bonuses.

For the people wondering - you can get a mystic scroll every week, as well as a Devilmon (universal skillup - probably not super necessary unless you get a really good 3* which you can't get family members for in the normal areas, or if you have a base 4* or better monster) and a random Angelmon (pile of XP). There's also various buildings you can buy and then upgrade to do assorted things - get money faster, get energy faster, get stat boosts, etc. The energy one seems like it's 3% faster per level, so that's energy every 3.5 minutes once you get it maxed - not bad at all. The stat boosters are pretty expensive but I might start shooting for them once I finish the energy buildings.

Actual PvP rank will get you some extra weekly crystals, but I'm pretty sure that unless you have a crazy BS amazing team you're probably not going to manage much better than 1100 or so, which is a total gain of 20 crystals a week over tanking your rating and maybe getting easy battles all the time (allowing you, hopefully, to roll that glory bonus). If you are a magic SWSA wizard and can get 1500+ you can get rare monsters but I'm imagining that's not happening without multiple amazing 6* monsters with pimped out runes.

In writing this I think I've finally come to the conclusion that it's impossible to both get tons of glory and bonus crystals, and the glory rewards are better for now so I've given in and put a lone level 1 Pixie as my defense. We'll see if I keep getting mostly people with 1k+ rating to fight; I've noticed that happening even when I had like 500 rating or so, so I'm a full believer that their matching algorithm is a giant piece of poo poo.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Randuin posted:

In as TheRanduin

Should farm Inugami over and over or what

Depends on which - the blue one is decent but the red one is a damned beast with chain attacks and extra turns whenever he gets a kill. The wind one is kinda poo poo.

Going back a bit - I disagree with the idea that going pure attack is worthless. I've definitely noticed the amount of damage (and healing) my Fairy does increase significantly as I stacked ATK higher and higher. I think the trick is that if you have a very attack-oriented monster, you want to focus on it but have +%hp as bonus rolls here and there so you wind up with very high attack but still decent HP. My Fairy is awakened and 4*, at max level, with around 625 ATK and 7500 HP; my runes are mostly 3* at +3, so nothing too amazing there though I've tried to focus on atk/hp on all of them. She feels like she does good damage for where I am, and is fairly resilient.

That said skillups also matter a lot, particularly ones that get reduced cooldown. I recently maxed the non-all heal skill on my water Howl and it has taken it from 'really good' to 'complete bullshit'.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

My Hellhound is 3* and L25. I'm going to awaken him next. Do you guys feel it is worth it to make him 4*? I've almost got a third fodder 3* to evo with again. My Fairy is already 4*.

e: Remember to add as many friends as you can! I just got 5 wind archer pieces from a goon having that secret dungeon up.

If you need another fire attacker, Hellhound isn't bad. That said - the fire Harpu gets a 20% heal and strength buff to the whole party ability when awakened, and has a heal-blocking attack, so if you're making a crazy fire team you could investigate her instead.

Finally got the last Mid magic I needed to awaken my fire reaper. I think I dumped 70 sta into getting just this one - b4 does seem a little better about it, but it's not something I can autobattle, either. Now I need another 20 to awaken two more monsters :qq:

Also, two mystic scrolls have come up in the shop today. I am now flat broke.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

Where are you guys getting extra fire Hellhounds to raise his skills? I saw a water hellhound in the store once but that's it.

Also what's the difference between 1-3* runes? I have a 1* rune that's sick as hell, and then a 3* rune that's like... a pathetic amount of hp and that's it. And then some that are vice versa.

From Unknown summons, mostly; I think one or the other level has them as a drop, too.

Higher rank runes have correspondingly higher base stats and greater steps. For example, a +3 atk % rune at 1* will give you 4% atk; the same rune at 3* will give you 10%. In general, you want to go 1/2* -> 3* -> 5*; 4*s aren't enough of an improvement over 3*s that it's worth spending all the money grinding them up again.

Lastly, ha ha what:

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

drat, this game gets loving real at Faimon Volcano. :v: I need another good water unit to run in my team so it's all water, or just do it 5-6 times a day off the back of friend's units.

e: I guess I will farm up a water howl.

I don't even know what to do about the sixth stage - I go in with awakened fairy/water werewolf/water serpent/awakened water howl, all at 4* and max level, with at least vaguely decent runes, clear the first two floors slowly but safely, and then get the absolute poo poo kicked out of me at the boss. If they all decide to spam their good attack at you, that's like 7500 in a round, and most of those hits stun; one guy down, I just don't have the damage to clear fast enough for my heals (even from an almost-max-skill Howl) to keep up. The weirdass goats and poo poo are pretty drat tanky on top of that.

It'd probably help if I had a water monster that was offensively worth a drat, but alas - bounty hunter might get there eventually.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Horking Delight posted:

In as CoolbearSA.

Been playing for a while and I have a pretty decent blue team, but my other mons are still kinda lacking. I have barely any red ones that are worth anything, aside from maybe a hellhound.

How sure are people that they're going to increase the pull rates of 4 and 5* guys?

Personally, 'not very'.

Also the good news is that you can farm a pretty decent fire team. Also a reasonable wind team; it's water that is sort of challenging to make a good found team for. This is as good a place as any for a guide:

Good Farmable Monsters

This includes 'stuff commonly pulled out of Unknown Scrolls/the store', because while you may not be able to grind for them by running levels, you'll be able to get multiple over time without much effort. I'm not going to include stuff found primarily in secret dungeons, as while that's technically grindable, it's a total crapshoot if you'll get one, and once you do it can be tricky to grind out all the pieces you need in an hour.

Water 2*
Howl (Lulu) - Cheap to awaken and easy to skill, with a little work she's going to be a better healer than the starter fairy, and probably almost any other sub 4*. With max skill she can be healing easily three out of four turns, and her attack gets her ready to go again more quickly. I can't emphasize how good this monster is, really; unless you have some bullshit amazing luxury healer you should get one. Found in the Hydeni Ruins.

Wind 2*
Imp (Ralph) - Total glass cannon, but seems pretty decent at it for how easy he is to get/awaken; haven't gotten the chance to use him much yet, but watching his stats as he levels he seems legit. Unknown scrolls/store only.
Warbear (Ramagos) - Tanky as hell. Has a primary attack that does bonus damage with high HP, and a self heal/defense boost, so pretty good combo there. When awakened, gets an attack that does more damage with the more damage he's taken so far, which is amazing for oneshotting obnoxious poo poo like Rina. Unknown scrolls/shop only, though the blue/red variants drop in Mt. White Ragon and Telain Forest repsectivey.

Fire 2*
Hellhound (Seiq) - Glass cannon, though his default attack heals him. Gets a party attack buff when awakened, which is good considering how offence-oriented fire usually is. Not the most amazing monster, but pretty serviceable till you can find something better, and not hard to awaken. Starter, drops in Volcano.
Harpu (Colleen) - An HP-disturbing attack and a party heal/buff when awakened makes her a pretty great support for your fire team. Good option if you want a buffer/secondary healer for a fire team. Unknown scrolls/shop only, but skillups drop in Kabir Ruins.
Imp (Cogma) - Another cheap glass cannon attacker. Trades the wind one's AoE for a nasty debuffing single target attack. Unknown scrolls/shop only.

Water 3*
Warbear (Dagora) - Another big fat blob of HP. He's got the same two first/second abilities as Ramagos, but gets a self-rez instead when awakened. Reasonable for defensive teams. Drops in Mt. White Ragon.
Inugami (Icaru) - Okay, but nothing special; Team Up can do good damage, and he can lower defense, and the counterattacks are annoying I suppose. Wishes he were Raoq. You can get it out of Garen Forest.

Wind 3*
Serpent (Ermeda) - Tanky as gently caress, takes normal damage from fire as opposed to double. Skills are nothing to write home about but he'll always take an age for enemies to whittle down. Drops in the Desert.
Griffon (Bernard) - Good support/attack mix - has a full team speed/gauge boost, and does damage based on speed, so can get some good turn advantage. Drops in the Desert.
High Elemental (Moria) - Reasonable attacker with a bloodsucking special; not necessarily a longterm keeper, but not absolute trash. Pretty fragile though. Drops in Kabir Ruins, skillups drop in Hydeni and Vrofagus Ruins.
Harpy (Prilea) - Like the High Elemental, an okay attacker. Trades bloodsuck for some mild AoE. Also drops in the Kabir Ruins.

Fire 3*
Inugami (Raoq) - A murder machine, even worse when he gets awakened and his basic attack can multihit for completely ridiculous amounts of damage - I've seen him oneshot hard mode stage bosses with it. Team Up can do frightening amounts of damage if your party members are really strong, and his bonus attacks will let it cool down faster. Drops in the Volcano; farm one of these as soon as you can.
Golem (Kugo) - Super tanky, does damage based on defense so you can just stack defense exclusively on him. Paired with a decent healer, he can verge on the unkillable. Has an AoE DoT skill, too, nicely suiting his preferred MO. Drops in Mt. Siz.
Werewolf (Garoche) - Heals 10% max HP every turn. As you can guess this can make him a more offensive-oriented tank - you give him good speed and a decent HP pool to let the heals keep him up while he slashes things up. Has a stun and a recovery-blocking attack, so pretty useful. Drops in the Volcano.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 19, 2014

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Think I'm going to start heading down the 'smash trash 3*s together to make 4*s to evolve my good base 3*s to 5*' road. I've got tons of random 3*s around that I'm not quite willing to throw away because MAYBE I'LL NEED IT SOMEDAY, but there's enough obvious trash that I can make some headway if I start leveling 3* bads.

It'd be nice if I had some natural 4*s to get to 5* instead, but 25 or so rare pulls in and I've still yet to get one, or even a 3* pre-evoed and awakened. I'm not bitter at all.

Otherwise I just need to push ahead on awakening my fire Magical Archer; awakened fire reaper/awakened fire inugami/fire archer/awakened water howl seems to be just tearing though most things, so guess it's time to farm up another 20 mid fires.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

Sub in an awakened fire harpu for the water howl and you've got a dream team going.

I'm a little apprehensive of the idea of only having the one heal, not on a rapid CD. Then again, with the strength buff, maybe I wouldn't need more than one?

I've got a fire Harpu, I'm working on awakening/skilling it up. Mid magics are a huge logjam, especially with me wanting to do two (wind and fire) magical archers in the near future.

With the PvP reward I should be at 750 again. I'm tempted to buy a scroll pack just to see if I can finally get a 4* out of the drat things. It's bound to happen someday, right?

Right?

:qq:

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

The Biggest Jerk posted:

There are heal debuff monsters that you can use. See if a friend has a strong monster with these abilities.

I'm running awakened fire reaper/awakened fire inugami/fire magic archer/awakened water howl/something for most b4s (I haven't bothered trying water for this yet). It works pretty well - the damage output is so high that you can drop the keepers without having to deal with too much of their assorted bullshit. The AI is pretty dumb about who to target though so I tend to have to run the boss on manual. Reaper has an ability which will prevent healing, too, so he's extra nice for wind.

That said prepare for lovely droprates anyway - you'll get a decent amount of mids running B4, but still plenty of scrolls and lows. I've yet to see a high in 20+ runs today, which is a pain in the rear end given I need 10 of them.

B5 is about the same as B4 (at least for wind), except that the towers are faster, so unless you have a very fast team, they will get a chance to go before you can kill the attack debuff one. I'd seriously consider bringing two dispellers; once you can focus on the boss with normal-strength attacks he's not too bad.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

I'm hoping the game does something about evolution though -- it's a pain the butt to evolve 3* monsters without using mystical scrolls (and even then it's because you'll get a steady stream of golems to trash) and I can't even imagine 4* and 5* monsters if they keep the trend of "number of same rarity monster equal to the number of stars you currently have"

It's a bit of a slog leveling stuff to make a trash 4*, but it's not *that* bad when you can run Hell areas - they're like 1200 xp per character per run.

edit:

Drevoak posted:

So I finally got a Fire Inugami a couple days ago. I've heard so much about how awesome it is yet I really don't see what the big deal with it is. I've been running wind secret dungeons with it today to get a ton of mana and after about the 4th stage he can no longer oneshot enemies. I've got him at lvl 29 4*'d with over 680 attack. Is he only useful with a group that does nothing but AOEs? Do I have to awaken him to really see the power?

He's decent when normal, but becomes crazy bullshit good when awakened - his first attack will sometimes multihit for straight up 2x+ (yes, it can multihit more than once - 6 was my record, oneshotting a hell boss) damage. It gives him really strong burst potential.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 25, 2014

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Duxwig posted:

I understand most of that so posting a picture to be more descript.

Normal magic level rune. Comes w the SPD since it's magic. The SPD is below and in yellow.

Normal rune, with prefix for defense. Both written in white and in the upper area. Do they both increase at the same rate and gains another attribute at level 3?

Magic rune WITH a prefix also. Two attributes in white and the lower attribute for the magic level. Again? Top two grow together and the RES won't change until level 6?

First off, all runes have a main stat. This will increase every level, and to my understanding get a big bonus at 15.

Runes that are generated at magic/rare/epic/legendary have some number of bonuses on them, according to the rarity. At levels 3/6/9/12, they'll add to a bonus that the rune was generated with that hasn't already been added to, or add a new bonus otherwise.

Stats from prefixes are as far as I can tell a totally separate slot that won't increase; they're just an extra bonus. Not totally sure if you can get the same bonus as it on the magic/rare/etc slots; I don't recall seeing double hp% or anything, so my assumption is no.

So a level 0 rune 2 would look like:
code:
ATK+5%
At level 15, it might look more like:
code:
ATK+30%
SPD+5
Eff Res+4%
Eff Acc+3%
Atk+10
Now, a level 0 Tenacious rune 2 could be:
code:
ATK+5%
HP+4%
At level 15 it might look like
code:
ATK+30%
HP+4%
SPD+5
Eff Res+4%
Eff Acc+3%
Atk+10
The HP stayed the same, unaffected by the leveling.

On the other hand, a level 0 rare rune 2 might look like:
code:
ATK+5%
SPD+5
Eff Res+4%
At level 15, it'd be more like:
code:
ATK+30%
SPD+8
Eff Res+7%
Eff Acc+3%
Atk+10
Note the better bonus stats on the two stats it was generated with - they'd have gotten a bonus at 3/6, and at 9/12 the new ones would have been added.

Disclaimer: I haven't leveled runes enough to be 100% sure of this, but this is how it looks from what I have done. If someone else knows better, feel free to tell me I'm an idiot.

Jibo posted:

When running on automatic you can tap whatever you want to target and your team will focus on that.

:aaaaa: I had no idea - when I'd tried doing this when I first started playing it didn't seem to work, so I assumed it wasn't in. Maybe I'm bad at tapping poo poo.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 25, 2014

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Drevoak posted:

Does the proc chance increase on skill up?

No, I think it's just the defense debuff that gets more likely. That said it really doesn't feel like it's just 30%.

m.hache posted:

So what happens if I awaken a unit before evolving them?

It stays awakened. :siren: Evolving will do nothing to a monster's awakened status, and vice versa; neither will impact how many skill levels you've put on the monster. :siren: We might want to put that in the OP, it's been asked a few times.

Philosopher King posted:

I just want to take the time to say gently caress you to the wishing well. You keep eating my red gems and you never give me anything back you bastard. I wish you didn't exist.

Yeah, don't blow crystals on the wishing well ever. I got a mystic scroll out of it once, every other time has been 1k/5k mana or occasionally some energy or arena tickets. Maybe if the rate of better prizes wasn't absolute poo poo it might be worthwhile...kind how I feel about buying crystals now, actually.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

limited posted:

Nope, the 3* can drop in any stage. Just the % chance is crazy low.

It seems higher on higher difficulty levels. I've gotten enough Golem drops to max skill my first Golem (which was also a drop), for example, while running various stage 2 levels for better Fatal runes in Hard/Hell.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Edit: ^^^^^^when I saw that earlier they had Lich as Rich.

Zotix posted:

That's more of a runes thing than the monster themselves. There are a few options, Megan if you have her to remove the shield with toad poison. Awakened fire viking (geoffrey) can steal her shield for himself. Or use ralph.

I've been having decent luck beating up Rinas with my fire team (awakened reaper 4*, awakened inugami 5*, awakened magic archer 4*, lulu 4*), but that doesn't really work so well if their whole team is water. Still, you crit so infrequently that she rarely gets a shield, and her damage is so poo poo that lulu can keep up with it and the tower strafings usually.

Beat the volcano finally thanks to zeesik's Phoenix (edit: not Zotix, I blame it being 2AM after being in an airport all day) - that thing is amazing. Been stocking up on the good scrolls lately in hopes of improved 4+* rates so haven't burned the light/dark scroll yet, or the couple of mystics I've gotten recently. Looks like we're getting element scrolls for glory soon too, and some new monsters. Goddamn that'll be a lot of glory to farm weekly.

Anyway I'm at about two trash 4* monsters again, so I should decide who wants to go to 5 next. Options are:
-water howl
-fire reaper
-fire magic archer
-wind pierret
-weird poo poo like a water werewolf or wind magic archer

I use all of the above fairly regularly but the first three are my core team, and the fourth my only natural 4*, so I figure one of them should probably get it.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 4, 2014

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Jibo posted:

E: Just saw on the wiki that crit rate can only go in the 4 slot. Boooo

If I'm remembering right, slot 2 is the only one that can spawn with speed, slot 4 the only one that can spawn with crit rate/damage, and 6 is the only one that can spawn with effect accuracy/resistance as the main stat. Winds up making Rage runes not worth it in the end, which is unfortunate as I found a bunch of really nice ones for my Pierret.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Radical posted:

I've probably gone through about 15 premium scrolls so far and only gotten 3 stars. In my heart I know one day I'll get something good though.

As I was writing this I got my first premium scroll from my shop and it gave me a second Wind Bounty Hunter. At least I'm about to awaken the first one so I'll get some use out of the skill +1.

It took me something like 30 to get my first, so keep at it!

Speaking of which, got my second natural 4*, a wind sylphid, which is apparently one of the best support monsters in the game? Dicking around with her so far I can certainly see how bullshit strong her shield could be. Trying to awaken her today - I just need 2 or so high winds and I can smash together mids for the rest.

Also decided to use my L/D scroll and got a dark elemental :allears: Gonna wreck up some poo poo eventually with him.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Niton posted:

In (possibly related news), Arena suddenly started loading proper-quality opponents for me earlier today - rather than a bunch of people at completely random rating, all 10 have been within 100 or so rating of me in either direction. It's kind of nice.

I'm exactly the opposite - I'd had sane ratings for the last few weeks, and ever since the maintainance I've been getting people up to 800 rating higher than me. I also seem to be getting absolutely killed in rating, though I am throwing my defense right now as easy glory is a lot more important than a few crystals...unless the game refuses to give me vaguely sane opponents, of course.

I'm starting to think that I might be best off buying the 2.1M mana instead of premium packs; I've gotten five or six mystic scrolls out of the shops in the last three days. I basically get enough money for a scroll and one appears.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Seems totally fair. Arena matchups working correctly now!

Seriously though, my first week or so I had matchups like this, then a relatively normal set (generally people +/-100 from me) for several weeks, and as soon as they 'fixed' things, it was back to this bullshit and getting stomped on by people with multiple 6*s constantly.

I guess it'll matter less once I start to really buckle down and work on the reasonable monsters I have; I picked up two water epikon priests, and am thinking that those + wind sylph + dark elemental will make a team sufficiently obnoxious that most people will pass me over.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Burn a mystic scroll, get the green blaze announcing a better-than-4* monster, get all excited, get a second wind pierret, get a stiff drink.

Seriously though, she's pretty good, but I don't see myself wanting to run two of them on a team. I guess I can use her to get my first one to 5*.

Also - does Rina - Rina - awakened wind sylphid - awakened dark elemental sound like a sufficiently obnoxious team to make most people shy away from attacking me once I get them all to 5* or something? The idea is that you have to hack through piles of shields and heals and 'nope, can't die' buff to win, which I guess fails against Ramagos, but nothing's perfect.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I seem to have somehow gained leadership of The Goon Squad. I've culled out ten people who haven't logged in for ten or more days to get some of the people who've requested in, not that there's much advantage to being guilded. I'll probably do similar purges weekly.

Also after reading that Giant guide, looks like I've got to get some water imps to go with my dark elemental.

edit: oh poo poo, I guess I shouldn't have awakened him. That's kind of unfortunate, but I imagine I'll manage.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 16, 2014

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Klungar posted:

As mentioned within the past couple pages, Light Fairy works very well with the Water Imps and are super easy to get. Elemental skill ups are probably much easier, though.

Yeah, I have him most of the way skilled up already - it's mostly the additional speed makes him a little less good for stalling purposes. That said, his three turns at high speed is still probably as good as the two for the light fairy, so I think between that and his DoT he'll do pretty well anyway.

Might pick up a light fairy anyway though, because I don't think I'm physically capable of not trying to level up twenty things at once.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

MPLS to NOLA posted:

having a low rank allows you to get 10 arena wins in a row easily

Entirely dependent on the whims of their broken-rear end matching algorithm, which they're supposedly rolling out another fix for tomorrow. Left in a trivial defense all week just to see how deep the rabbit hole goes when the game decides not to do fair matching:

Most of the time I'm failing to see anyone below 1k with a bottomed-out rating; I don't see how any scheme that makes sense would do that unless there's less than ten high-level players of sub-1k rating, which I see as unlikely.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Gyoru posted:

Towers aren't much of a threat at higher ranks because people either go speedy+burst, sustain to outheal the towers, or in my case both. :haw:
If I see a defense with a Rina or any number of Warbears, it's basically a free win. I've even gone against 2 Rinas at once and there was no threat of me losing even if it took a little longer than usual. Rina is a good tank, but a terrible team healer compared to the other options. She doesn't do any damage either unless she has like 30k+ hp and at that Rune level people can still burst her down or prevent her from Mana Shielding.

Don't be scared of Rinas - she's been propelled to this mythical/unbeatable status, but she's really simple to deal with.

edit: here is best offensive healer in the game

Despite my level I'm still kind of getting my poo poo together (outside of the wind sylphid, my natural 4+* luck has been awful, and 100% wind monsters), so I don't roll over teams featuring them yet, but I can absolutely see this as truth. Rina is probably best for the intimidation factor on defense, but unless she's really highly skilled up she (and the other priests) are kinda lovely healers. That said I've started pairing her with a fire harpu on offense and it's been going reasonably well. The wind bear is theoretically good but if you just make sure to burst down Ramagos from 50% he's not an issue; the water bear is a joke and he usually winds up taking an extra annihilate proc to down is all.

That said I noticed a light bearman dungeon up 20 minutes in a few days back and got 37/40 fragments in that time. So close, yet so far :smith: He really is amazing once you've got him set up.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Niton posted:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Wind Sylphid, which is an amazing support monster? Wind Sylph has a decent arena leader skill, but she's more of a dead weight than Rina.

I would save your Devilmons until you get a 5* monster or a specifically outrageous 4*.

Wind Sylphid is a thing of wonder, it's probably the only genuinely great 4* I've gotten (out of a grand total of seven over probably 80-odd scrolls by this point). If people want to try it out I've got it as my leader - it's got a team shield on a medium cooldown, an AOE attack that also heals, and a decent single target attack backed up by a surprisingly good attack stat for a support monster.

But yeah, try to save Devilmons for natural 4/5* monsters, especially good ones.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Korak posted:

Got my first 4* from a scroll. Fire Succubus! Seems like a really good unit.

From 12:30-1pm EST there's a 300 crystal special shop thing that gives lvl 15 angelmon 3, and 3-star MAX rainbow angelmon 1. Worth buying?

That pops up whenever you get a 4*. It's basically 300 crystals to boost your new monster to 25 or so instantly and get 1/4 of the way to getting it to 5*. It's really not worth it in my opinion.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

m.hache posted:

Here's the thing. A water E.Priest is great at lower level arenas but fall off hard later on. The water fairy can be built as a nuker with a solid heal. I would personally use the E.Priest on my arena defense and that's about it. I'm sure others will weigh in on this as well.

As for the Angelmons: Don't bother leveling them, but feel free to awaken them for the xp boost if you have the lower essences to spare. Some may argue that leveling them up may be worth it but I find it easy enough to level people that it's not a big deal for me.

EDIT: You know what, I had some spare angelmons sitting around so I ran a quick test.

Level 4 Water Warbear
+ a level 6 Awakened Water Angelmon (*)
= 719.6% xp boost.

Level 4 Water Warbear
+ a level 5 Awakened Water Angelmon (*)
= 634.5% xp boost.

So it looks like they get an 85% xp boost per level. If you have a bunch of 1% fodder material I suppose feeding it into angelmons could be productive.

You definitely want to feed your angelmons to max level, as they will be worth more xp to your target, but I'll note that they are less and less dramatic feeds as your monsters go up - I think a single angelmon was barely enough for something to go from 30 to 31, for example. Still, you can just feed them the torrent of slimes and poo poo from unknown scrolls for cheap, so I don't see any reason not to.

Also, much as we complain about Rina - she's an amazing tank for wind monsters. I usually run three wind monsters and her, so anything that isn't fire will go after her, and just get walled to hell; AI Ramagos isn't even that scary as it'll use Clean Shot as soon as it hits 50%, which with a shield up will generally not even manage to get her below half. She's also a good supplemental healer, especially if you can manage to skill her up; with my wind sylphid (Adidas or whatever), we're usually able to handle incoming damage without a short-CD heal. So while she's not the unstoppable juggernaut lots of people make her out to be, she's not useless either.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Korak posted:

Meh. Been checking every hour to see if anyone has popped a dungeon and still stuck on 10/40 inugami and 15/20 howl. Come on goons you can do it.

I have dropped about 150 energy into light dungeon today, mostly b2, and have gotten more high lights (one) than secret dungeons (zero). I'm trying, seriously.

If anyone gets a bearman dungeon today I'd greatly appreciate an invite, I'm three pieces from a summon.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

While we're talking about teams to pursue - I've got four 4* trash monsters and it's time to evolve another good 4* to 5*, but I'm not sure who. My best options are:

-Wind Pierret
-Wind Sylph
-Wind Imp
-Water Mystic Witch

I also pulled a fire sylph today, who will need to be leveled but is an option, as are various high-end giants farming monsters (dark elemental, water imps, fire hellhound, none of which are ready for 5* yet), and I've got other 4*s that probably aren't worth it at this point (water howl, water werewolf, various magical archers, etc).

I typically run Wind Sylphid - Rina - Wind Imp - Wind Pierret for my attacking team, but I've been considering dropping one of the latter two for the Sylph for his leaderskill and CC (I have him runed for despair). I could use the fire sylph instead, but that loses me Rina eating all non-fire attacks, which is why she's on the team.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Gyoru posted:

Blue Angemon dungeon is up for the next 40 minutes. Stock up on pre-awakened angemon.

Good work, me, translating from 24h/Pacific time and thinking that it was open this hour :downs: At least I wasn't looking to level up any water monsters...outside of my giant-killing imps.

On the bright side, found a hp%/speed prefix 6* swift rune in the shop for my sylphid. Probably going to cost a billion mana to get it to 15, it's picked up crit damage (whatever) and resistance (not bad) so far. She's at 160 speed and almost 15k hp now - pretty nice since I think the size of the shield she gives your party is dependent on her max HP.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Oh god yes. Can't die for three turns with reflect is amazing.

You're thinking of the dark Elemental. Dark Inferno seems sort of interesting with the revenge hit when it dies, but nothing too amazing.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Duxwig posted:

I think the game is giving me a sign. I farmed enough wind yesterday to awaken my wind Lich. I was excited to test Lich and Shannon for the stun lock but before I awakened I faced two 35 Fuco's(awaken lich). Maybe it was since it was on defense and no speed(no shield until first turn) or just a horrible mob but my dragons pretty much one shot it both time with its big AOE.

I'm tempted to continue onward to see how my plan goes but the 10 hrs of farming wind makes me not want to pull the trigger on awakening.
Anyone else go against a wind Lich with a half way good team and want to say how good or horrible he is?

The only time I've run into one in arena I'm pretty sure they had it runed crappily - I seemed to get about two turns to every one it did, and as a result its shield never really did much before I slapped it down. I hear you on farming winds though - I'm trying to work myself back up to ten high winds so I can awaken my sylph, and then I'll need another ten for my pierret. Water and fire I've gotten about ten of each, but I've probably run wind 2x as hard as either and have managed 16. Pain in the rear end with almost every natural 4* I've gotten being wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Bell_ posted:

Decent? That Dark Elemental is amazing. Abuse its powers and you can get all the runes you want! Do a quick search to see what to put together for a team, but Dark Elemental lets you take on Hall of Giants.

The one bit of advice I've heard is NOT to awaken it, since it gains speed in its awakened form, and you want to milk its special power for every possible moment you can.

You could roll a 5* today and that dark elemental will still be more valuable for you.

5* that wind warbear of yours and awaken it. It's a heavy hitter that will benefit your team and allow for ridiculous unblockable damage if used properly.

I awakened mine because I'd heard they were very good long before I knew why, and awakening makes everything better, right? :smithicide:

I'm sure it's fine still, just not as amazing as it could be.

• Locked thread