Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I clicked on this thread thinking that it was for Playdek's mobile port of the fantastic tactical/card game Summoner Wars. What a difference a single S makes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
This is a PSA: we can't actually help you make decisions about the team if you don't tell us the colors. Different colored versions of the same monster have different skills--so for example, the blue Inugami which drops from the first zone is mediocre, whereas the red Inugami which drops from the Volcano is complete horseshit.

EDIT: blue howl is the good one. arguably better than your tutorial fairy once evolved

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Man natural ****s are so much better than their evolved counterparts. I can't see myself ever evolving past 4 for any reason at all. Also, the secret dungeons your friends find give your monsters (a tiny bit of) xp but not you. They're a fun idea but unless you have a team that can clear 5 waves quick and easy don't even bother.

also also i found the secret most annoying arena team ever:

(the wind lady is sylphid, she has a 3-turn all-team invulnerability shield on a 6-turn cooldown hahaha)

A lot of 2* and 3* monsters are actually really loving good and you should absolutely level them, unless I guess you're just shoveling wheelbarrows full of money into this game. An incomplete list of stuff I know about, so people don't accidentally fuse them away:

Red Inugami is a complete shitwrecker on offense and pretty durable to boot; farm them (at a comedically low drop rate) from the Volcano. Red hellhound is a glass cannon that's only okay-ish later on, but if you go for the Red Inugami, you'll find yourself swimming in hellhounds and red hellhound is terrifying once max-skilled. Yellow Warbear is a credible tank and also the only easily farmable way I know about to kill those God Damned blue priestesses in the arena with the mana shields. Yellow yeti is the best offtank/healer in the game I know of, and it's a freaking 2*. Blue howl is really easy to skill up, and even unskilled is arguably better than the starting fairy (it's a monster of a healer once skilled up).

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Since the rather cryptic post up the page didn't sink in until I basically had the same brainwave myself--on paper, you get a better pull/stone rate by buying the 2.1 million mana pack, since mystic scrolls are what, 110, 120K in the shop? Of course there's the slight problem here that I've seen, like, one mystic scroll in the shop ever.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dear God in Heaven, the game knows exactly what kind of essence I need...

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Putting this here partially so I don't forget about it and partially because the numbers may be helpful to someone else: it takes 35.870 XP to max out a 2* monster, 82.182 for a 3*, and 190.200 for a 4*. I don't even want to think about 5* and 6*.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
In the Arena, two Epikon Priests on the same defensive team are infuriating for people like me who use Warbear as a partial answer to one.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
For higher levels in the Dungeon of Fire, your trump card is going to be an awoken, maxskilled Water Howl. His target-all heal will also purge the bomb debuff, and at max skill it'll be able to keep up with the bomb tower.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't find Water Rakshasa to be particularly dangerous, actually (unlike Fire Rakshasa, which is goddamn terrifying once runed). As far as I'm concerned Bounty Hunter and Werewolf are both better single-target offensive options for Water, despite only being 3*.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rapner posted:

So I just used 13 mystic scrolls and got the following:

4* Purian (Awakened water inferno)
3* wind gryphon
3* fire bearman
3* water werewolf
3* wind amazon
3* wind inferno
3* wind Inugami (I need a fire one) :(
2 x 3* wind martial cat
3* water bounty hunter
3* wind Epikion Priest
3* water grim reaper

My core team these days is:
4* water Inugami (leader)
4* water fairy (Awakening soon)
4* Lulu (Water howl awakened)
Tank slot, usually 4* Ramagos or 3* fire golem

I've already fed the wind gryphon as I already have one, and one of the wind martial cats to evolve my water Inugami to 4*. I think water Inugami isn't particularly popular, but the speed boost to Lulu and my fairy means they put out an absurd amount of healing, which lets my water team snooze mode easily for grinding.

Any thoughts on what I should keep? Is the wind Epikion priest terrible?

By far the best thing you pulled there is Water Werewolf. I generally don't find Wind Epikon very dangerous in the Arena.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Zotix's Phoenix was enough for me to to beat Faimon Volcano 5 and 6 with no real issues. Strangely enough the actual boss was a joke in comparison.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Are you seriously recruiting for an elite MLG esport clan in a gachapon-based phone game? Well, I suppose someone has to do it. Goonspeed I guess :patriot:

Content: 12 high fire essences to awaken my Fire Vampire, and knowing my bloody luck that means 120 mid essences and 600k mana. Well, at least I'll have some decent statistics on the dungeon of fire for you people in a day or so

Edit: Preliminary results suggest that this is complete horseshit.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 5, 2014

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Okay, so. Trip report.

40 runs of B6 dungeon of fire. 20 unknown scrolls, 34 low essences, 14 mid essences, 1 high essence. Corollaries: assuming I fused everything upwards it would take ~1066 stamina, or ~9 hours of farming (!) to gather the 12 high essences needed to awaken one (1) 4* monster. I don't even understand the thought processes going on here. If this was a cynical cash grab and there was a way to buy essences with real money that'd be one thing, but how on God's green Earth did the developers think that this would be good for player retention? This game had me hooked like pretty much only PAD did before, and now I think I just burnt out.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if the 1 day EXP booster purchase affects power-up fusion? I'm sitting on a ridiculous stockpile of unknown scrolls here and it'd be kind of funny just to pull them all and stock up on 3 and 4* feeder trash.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Caverats: you have to have a way of keeping yourself alive until the dots have had time to tick down (fire Epikon, dark Elemental, and light Fairy are probably the best option) and you have to have a way of actually getting to the boss, which means that you have to somehow take a team consisting primarily of water imps past level 60-65 trash mobs. So generally you need to bring like 3 imps, a dark elemental, and some outrageously runed carry.

The other plan, which I am experimenting with, is just to throw piles of wind Warbears at the boss. With any luck and enough HP on the warbears and some support from a griffon the warbears should be functionally invincible, since they can sap the boss' attack gauge as quickly as it charges. I hope. Mostly I just want the dubious distinction of being able to throw a stable of bears at a problem.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Any attacking team which can outheal your towers will pick you apart, realistically.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
That passive doesn't look like much, but between it and just naturally good offensive skills wind archer can put out absolutely disgusting amounts of damage. I've been considering leveling mine, since so many arena defense teams in the 1000-1200 regime are water-based.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
550K to buy a 6* despair rune from the shop :negative:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bell_ posted:

Oh crap. Maybe I shouldn't be looking forward to hitting level 30 after all!
Is the rune plain or does it have useful mods?

It had some mods attached to it. I've seen 6* runes in the shop for as "low" as 250K.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
For a new player to farm mana, work towards building a team which can, on autopilot, farm through the seventh floor of a 2* secret dungeon (this will probably take at least a couple of 5* guys). To farm experience, build a monster which can, on autopilot, solo a zone with 3 deadweight monsters to absorb experience. I use a wind Warbear with ~12K HP, who can reliably autopilot Telain Forest on Hell for 1600 experience each for 3 deadweight monsters in 5 stamina. Faimon Volcano on Normal with a comedically overuned fire Inugami is also popular, I think, and substantially better mana/stamina.

Inugami also happens to be really good at running secret dungeons, so there's that.

EDIT: for mana, you may be able to farm Giants' Keep at a decent (B3/4 ish?) level before you can afk farm faimon volcano, which is interesting because Despair runes sell for a boatload. Endgame farming is actually running super high Giants' Keep zones (B7+) but I've been playing for like a month and it'll probably be almost another month before I can do that.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 10, 2014

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Evolve and skill up your water low elemental. Once up to a decent star level (and 1* and 2* monsters level up to max really fast in comparison to others) and maxskilled (you'll be swimming in low elementals), he's pretty good. Dishes out hits and takes hits and all of his attacks debuff attack and defense, which can be quite good in boss fights. He's not exactly endgame material but you might get a surprising amount of use out of him.

Wind imp is also complete horseshit, you should awaken him as soon as you can but don't use him until you do.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I was thinking that, but that means I can't use him on golems cause he'll get wrecked by the crit-counters

Stop. Wind Ninja is the best monster in the game for running golems. Endgame golems aren't beatable by traditional combat, since they have comedically high HP and defenses. You beat them by stacking as many damage over time effects (which always tick for 5%) on them, and using a monster which can go invincible for enough turns to end the fight. You'll have to adjust the math for the contents of your box, but if you have a wind ninja you can build a team which can farm B10 giants.

A limitless faucet of 6* runes is going to be better than whatever else you were planning on doing with that ninja.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Alternatively if you like keeping your friends you can get one from the secret dungeons whenever dungeon of light is out. Whenever someone gets a light fairy dungeon they're immediately mobbed in chat by people requesting invites though, so you have to get kind of lucky.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bahahahahahaha so two weeks ago I posted a theory that three sufficiently leveled Warbears and supported could keep the Giant stunlocked forever, and tank the rare counterattacks he can put out. Trip report: this actually works really well right up until B7F (i.e the level that you really need to be able to farm) at which point the Giant counterattacks for 26k. Not recommended unless you have a 40%+ HP/defense to wind monsters mob in your leader slot.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wind Yeti rules. Ninetails can be a bit of a mixed bag depending on the color. You see the blue one a lot in arena teams though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
You're full up on friends, Zotix.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
In order to extract maximum experience, you can also just solo Faimon on Normal with a sufficiently buffed up 5* Fire Inuga-

Well, poo poo.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Fire Ninetails isn't, you know, awful or anything, but she is a single-target attacker in the same element as Raoq/Fire Inugami. Just saying. I'm not looking forward to facing off against whales with maxskilled Arang/Wind Ninetails in the Arena, though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I shouldn't be talking since I'm a complete lucksack in this game (the three natural 4*s I own are probably either the top three Arena 4*s it's possible to own or at least tied for it) but yeah, having a well-designed team and good runes goes a lot further than just throwing higher natural *s at a problem. I've disassembled teams with multiple natural 5*s and no synergy, and struggled against teams containing no natural 4*s or 5*s at all. Theoretical shitwrecker farmable team team on offense: Water M.Witch / Wind Imp / Wind Gryphon / Light Fairy.

There will always be a gulf between players who have speed leaders and player who have not, though.

I guess this a longwinded way of saying that just "having a natural 4*" doesn't actually put you in any better of a position in the Arena unless it's actually one of the really good ones, and Fire Ninetails....isn't.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Violent Inugami is the poo poo in PvP. Hilarious when it works.

(don't do it)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Fire Amazon is, once awoken, the only speed leader available without getting lucky on a mystic scroll. At 13% you'll get dunked by Sylph teams all day and may as well just use a Mystic Witch or something, but in the same vein you can do horrible horrible things to teams without a speed leader.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
What? Wind Pixie or Water Mystic Witch are essentially mandatory for high-end arena play, in my experience (at least if you're not swimming in natural 4*s and 5*s from whaling).

Also:

:smug:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
My slot 2 rune is my +15 6* one though. I suppose I could go fishing for +speed modifiers on other runes, but I'm not actually sure I have the mana for that. Mostly I depend on my Sylph to outspeed some things and pray--there's not much point to going above 1400 right now, alas.

I'm Asterism ingame, by the way, though I'll have to clear out some friend slots.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
An amazing, amazing skillup for the one which actually matters, which is Water.

(Fire? Aw, gently caress. Back to the drawing board with the Lushen plan...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Karma strikes! Just overwrote the +12 6* fatal rune on my Lushen while dozing off and listening to a podcast.

• Locked thread