Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's funny, I cringed like anything during that scene but found it weird that I would when his wife is threatening to either frame him for attempted murder or child molestation or a bunch of other things, it's way more than understandable and kinda what a lot of normal or even good people would have done, and you hit on why succinctly.

Thank you, I'm going to print this out and give copies to my relatives this Christmas to show how smart I am about movies/art/parenting.

I think another reason why many people cringed is that hitting a spouse, even if for legitimate reasons, is basically conditioned in our minds as so horrible that the response is automatic. The image of a strong man hitting his wife is so powerful and instantly registered as monstrous that it bypasses the rest of the movie, and even with all that she did I would still a problem with him being even a little more physical than he was in the film. Second reason for this is also that him hitting her would mean losing everything due to her being beat up on camera, but I can think of many reasons why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Pirate Jet posted:

Dude someone posted this already earlier in the thread:

She's got plenty of leverage. You should probably read the thread. Also the movie.

A child that isn't even born yet and thus doesn't exist, which, when it is born and grows up with probably have lots of the mental illness Pike's character has. Great leverage!

Have a kid with another, not crazy woman, Ben.

Dystram fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 23, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
del

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Not sure how I feel about this film.

Early on in the film Amy comments that being "Amazing Amy" means fictional (I mean real fictional Amy not the fictional Amy we get from her voice over flashback bits) Amy is always one step ahead of her (or something along those lines, I can't recall the exact wording) - it was around the time of the marriage proposal scenes. It made my ears perk up because I thought the film was going to turn out to be all based on some kind of crazy viral stunt where Amy fakes her death in order to be one step ahead of the book Amy. That assumption was only strengthened when it turns out the parents were in financial difficulty.

Thus, I wasn't really all that surprised at the reveal that she'd staged it all. Then I was especially disappointed that it turned out to have bugger all to do with it - or at the very least, the link between her psychotic behaviour and how she was brought up wasn't really explored.

I think the film would've been better if we'd had flashbacks from Nick's point of view in the second half which were equally one-sided from his POV but between the two of them we'd have sensed where the truth came from.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dystram posted:

A child that isn't even born yet and thus doesn't exist, which, when it is born and grows up with probably have lots of the mental illness Pike's character has. Great leverage!

Have a kid with another, not crazy woman, Ben.

The entire nation is now watching Nick and Amy and leaving Amy right as she's pregnant is going to utterly demolish Nick's already-damaged reputation.

You should probably read the thread. Also the movie.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Jet posted:

The entire nation is now watching Nick and Amy and leaving Amy right as she's pregnant is going to utterly demolish Nick's already-damaged reputation.

The problem is that staying with Amy will demolish Nick's already-damaged life. Which is in my opinion worse than just the reputation.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
She could also gently caress him over in a way that wasn't just reputation. Either he stays with her and plays his role and everything's happy, or he leaves and she probably figures a way to put him in the electric chair or something. She's got his life in her hands.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I liked the movie well enough, but the whole time I kept wondering what the movie would be like if she wasn't an attractive white woman.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I wonder that about a lot of movies.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Honestly I expect Nick will end up killing her.

It's now set up exactly the way Amy tried to paint the picture in her diary. She's pregnant and Nick doesn't want a kid with her, he then slams her into the wall in a manner that parallels the way Amy wrote about in her fake diary.

My feeling is that with everything Amy has done she has gone about creating her twisted fantasy into reality and given Nick exactly the motivation he'd want to murder her.

And I suspect that's what will happen.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Everyone questioning the plausibility of Nick staying with Amy, try watching any given "Real Housewives" series. As painful as the conceit of a man staying with a sociopath just to save face and be famous is, it's completely real, and it betrays the ultimate conceit of the film: This is all from Nick's point of view, but it's no less a celebrity fraud than Amy's.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

The problem is that staying with Amy will demolish Nick's already-damaged life. Which is in my opinion worse than just the reputation.

If he leaves Amy, everyone in America will be knocking down his door. He'll be back on the news as a scumbag husband who left his wife immediately after she got pregnant.

He could either spend his life harassed by one person, or harassed by 299,999,999 people.

coathat
May 21, 2007

He's terrified that she'll do something to hurt his child. It's not about fame or media attention.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Pirate Jet posted:

If he leaves Amy, everyone in America will be knocking down his door. He'll be back on the news as a scumbag husband who left his wife immediately after she got pregnant.

He could either spend his life harassed by one person, or harassed by 299,999,999 people.

You are overestimating the length of the public's attention span.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

coathat posted:

He's terrified that she'll do something to hurt his child. It's not about fame or media attention.

She'll probably hurt the child anyway, and blame Nick, and/or she will hurt or kill Nick.

Staying with a woman who slit a dude's throat while loving him is a dumb idea, y'all, no matter what other factors are at play.

The book and the movie's plot are dumb, dudes, get over it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dystram posted:

lol you're so cool.

It's trashy and ridiculous on purpose.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I thought the point of the final scene with his sister was to show that regardless of other motivations, he wants to stay with her anyway. He bought his own line about her being the reason he was a better person. Otherwise, he could just leave her in a year when most media will have moved on.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, deep down she's kind of right and he knows it. She makes his life interesting.

Look at his half-hearted, petulant "I'm so sick and tired of being picked apart by women". He isn't, really.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Dystram posted:

What is satire? We just don't know.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What is satire? We just don't know.

Too bad it's played straight and almost no one will pick up on any satire there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dystram posted:

Too bad it's played straight and almost no one will pick up on any satire there.

And?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dystram posted:

kinda sounds like everyone picked up on it but you

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Dystram posted:

Satire only really works when it's played straight. Otherwise, it's just comedy.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

kinda sounds like everyone picked up on it but you

It's because it's not there. The book and the movie are not satire, nowhere is it stated it's a satire. You're attributing satire to it to excuse bad writing. :)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dystram posted:

It's because it's not there. The book and the movie are not satire, nowhere is it stated it's a satire. You're attributing satire to it to excuse bad writing. :)

I remember the big "DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A SATIRE" title card before Borat started, yeah.

Dystram posted:

You are overestimating the length of the public's attention span.

You are underestimating the damage that having all of America hating you can do.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Pirate Jet posted:

I remember the big "DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A SATIRE" title card before Borat started, yeah.

You are underestimating the damage that having all of America hating you can do.

I assume a work of satire would be referred to or talked about as satire somewhere, anywhere. It's just another not-great book that became a word-of-mouth best seller thanks to bored housewives; not super-smart subtle satire.

America hates lots of folks that are doing fairly well for themselves. There are lots of things Nick could do to get out scott free.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Uh, nowhere else has anyone ever called Gone Girl a mediocre book made popular by housewives (???) so your opinion isn't actually valid. :)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dystram posted:

I assume a work of satire would be referred to or talked about as satire somewhere, anywhere. It's just another not-great book that became a word-of-mouth best seller thanks to bored housewives; not super-smart subtle satire.

America hates lots of folks that are doing fairly well for themselves. There are lots of things Nick could do to get out scott free.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

EDIT: lol^^^^^^^^

Not only is it funny that you didn't get it was a satire it's doubly funny that you think no one, anywhere, ever has called it such. Like, I don't even need to Google that poo poo. People have pointed out it's satire before, buddy.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Would for sure like to see the author claiming she intentionally wrote a satire, otherwise it's not. Those articles, which I found on a google search as well, are just making the same random claims you guys are, in order to paper over lovely plotting. :D

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dystram posted:

Would for sure like to see the author claiming she intentionally wrote a satire, otherwise it's not. Those articles, which I found on a google search as well, are just making the same random claims you guys are, in order to paper over lovely plotting. :D

*watches Alien. Listens to commentary immediately after to make sure Ridley Scott calls it sci-fi*

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

LesterGroans posted:

*watches Alien. Listens to commentary immediately after to make sure Ridley Scott calls it sci-fi*

el oh el your analogy is lame. the intent of the author matters.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dystram posted:

Would for sure like to see the author claiming she intentionally wrote a satire, otherwise it's not

You're gonna seriously go into CineD of all places and argue for authorial intent being absolute?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dystram posted:

It's pretty lame you need a poo poo load of supplemental material, along with things being directly spelled out to you to understand anything. It's not about intent, it's about what's plainly there. It's a satire.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 24, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

LesterGroans posted:

It's pretty lame you need a poo poo load of supplemental material, along with things being directly spelled out to you to understand anything. It's not about intent, it's about what's plainly there. It's a satire.

Says who? :)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dystram posted:

Says who? :)

Buncha peeps. Most peeps besides you. Sorry.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Pirate Jet posted:

You're gonna seriously go into CineD of all places and argue for authorial intent being absolute?

yeah because death of the author bullshit is just that, bullshit

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

LesterGroans posted:

Buncha peeps. Most peeps besides you. Sorry.

Probably because they enjoyed the book but would rather not be caught liking best selling dumb poo poo so they turn it into faux intellectual satire. Soz bro. :)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dystram posted:

Probably because they enjoyed the book but would rather not be caught liking best selling dumb poo poo so they turn it into faux intellectual satire. Soz bro. :)

Yeah, maybe. I'd need to see a blog post from literally everyone confirming this before I could agree. But maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Dystram posted:

Why are you arguing this particular point? Is it impossible for an adaptation into a completely different medium to carry a different intention than the original work?

Anyway, here you go:

By that September, Fox had already locked up movie rights, and in December, Flynn found herself in a room eating sushi and discussing the story and its satirical skewering of the media with Fincher.

And here's a fun Rolling Stone interview where she discusses the parts of media and relationships she wanted to pick apart in her story.

It appears the satire was there all along.

Found some cool articles and interviews as a result of this search, so thanks for the inspiration :)

• Locked thread