Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
If you watch this with your SO and you both come away saying anything other than "Holy poo poo they're both completely hosed up" I'd say you have problems. Seriously why would this be awkward or weird for a couple?

Venkmanologist fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Weirdly, I didn't buy the dude who got fake-rape-accused, at least not entirely. I mean, I dont doubt the event happened, but clearly you only get one side of that story, and the other dudes Amy fucks with are seen from an objective point of view, rather than telling their own story. I'm sure if we just heard Desi's side of the story, he'd seem pretty sympathetic too.

Like Doctor Spaceman said there are other instances in the book where she does this, and it's not just to men. She destroys the social life of a girl who was supposedly her best friend as a kid. And I think we're expected to believe the fake rape because when we learn about it, Nick's life is systematically being destroyed at the same time.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Time to add some gasoline to this fire.

"Gone Girl is the most feminist mainstream movie in years"
http://www.vox.com/2014/10/6/6905475/gone-girl-feminist-movie-david-fincher

quote:

But even if Gone Girl is just sort of accidentally feminist, so what? The film is a bracing corrective to years of thrillers on screens both big and small that reduce their female characters to victims designed to die because they were the wrong kind of woman, or married the wrong kind of man (which was completely their fault, of course). They are bait, or objects to be protected, not characters in their own right. And even when these movies try to turn their female characters into something more, they tend to fetishize those characters' suffering — as, ironically, happened in Fincher's own Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. But Gone Girl is different. It takes a character who would just be a corpse in so many other stories and turns the entire movie over to her.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

God drat I wish I hadn't read the book before seeing the film. It was so hard to buy into the diary scenes, and the emotionless fakeness hidden in Rosamund Pike's performance floated right to the top since I knew it would be there.

loving fantastic piece of work though. Definitely Reznor's best score to date (it actually didn't sound like he'd reworked every song from one of his Ghost tracks).

I agree I wish I hadn't read the book first. It removed some of the suspense.

As for the soundtrack I think it complements the film well but it's not something I would just sit and listen to. The Social Network soundtrack does that for me.

The reason The Social Network's soundtrack is 'reworked tracks from Ghosts I-IV' is because that's what Fincher was using before he formally asked Reznor to score it. It's natural they would stick with those.

• Locked thread