Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Steve2911 posted:

Oh that's straight from the book. Not going to go into it but here's a quote of the author responding to similar comments.

That's interesting, but really that's just a modernization of the viper-woman, femme fatale type. She should've just said she shouldn't have to apologize for that character type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, those books ain't good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Speaking of funny jokes, the "Kill Self?" post-it note was a tremendously inspired bit of black comedy that I think was unique to the movie.

Yeah, I don't recall that from the book.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pulp literature has always been stuck with being socially irresponsible. To what end?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lobok posted:

Also, did anyone think of Lady MacBeth at the end? In the shower, we see Amy effortlessly wash off the blood and the camera follows it as it disappears to show us that there is no "out, drat spot!" moment. The murder weighed on her no more than a sheen of sweat to be rinsed off.

That, and it was just perfect that she was drenched in blood but her blonde hair was as immaculate as ever.

I like that the very first thing she does after killing Doogie is shake her hair out. There isn't a spot on it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That people need to be told the possible reasons why they shouldn't consider psychopaths heroes is not a failing of any work of fiction in particular.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DrVenkman posted:

Cross posting this, but for those who want it, Richard 'Donnie Darko' Kelly wrote an essay about the links between GONE GIRL and EYES WIDE SHUT.

http://ronaldtaverner.tumblr.com/post/99275372547/gone-girl-and-eyes-wide-shut-a-study-of

It seems so odd that Richard Kelly isn't even 40 years old yet. His films are like the work of a nutty old man.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Someone who has no use for the social contract is always, always going to be appealing. Who fantasizes about themselves being fettered by life itself? Even fantasies of control are not about that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Nick Dunne.

EDIT: And MRAs.

Nick Dunne, maybe. But to the latter, no, sadomasochism is not about being ground down by life.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Steve2911 posted:

EDIT: It definitely would have broken the flow of the film, but it's a shame the backstory on Amy's childhood was axed. That was one of the more chilling parts of her character in the book.

I thought it was nicely condensed, especially in the characterization of the parents.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Power of Pecota posted:

The mark of quality of this for me was after the movie when my friend who hadn't read the book commented on how lovely they were - I thought they were let off a little easily, but the scene at the Amazing Amy wedding announcement was pretty great.

There's a really amazing shot of them at the press conference after the mom gives her little prepped speech about "Amazing Amy" (I also give the movie credit for not laying it on too thick about them shaping a larger than life alter ego that their daughter feels hanging over her). The mom's got her head held high, and Amy's dad just looks haunted. He reminded me a little of Carmela's dad on The Sopranos.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whoa, those guys are idiots? Knock me over with a feather.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"If" it was a satire on tabloid journalism? What would be the alternative?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It took someone of vision to turn what could have been a very dull character to give us a brief scene in which a fake Nancy Grace interviews Tyler Perry as a panel guest.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Thanks, Detective.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The movie you watched is fiction.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dystram posted:

Too bad it's played straight and almost no one will pick up on any satire there.

And?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is embarrassing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

socketwrencher posted:

Interesting. The satire of the media and how it can be manipulated just seemed old, tired and not particularly insightful.

The crimes/sloppiness may not have been the point, but it just didn't fit together. Seemed like a pretty big part of the story to me, and I don't see how making her so sloppy and dumb makes for a better movie.

She may be a smart person and a good liar but she's not a seasoned, professional criminal. In fact, that's the entire point of her getting robbed by her weekly rate hotel buddy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Even in films that literally feature master criminals (take your pick, To Live And Die In L.A., Rififi, whatever you like), they all make suboptimal choices based on their characterization. Otherwise, you would have no film. I don't think I've ever even seen a "pure procedural" where someone plans and executes a perfect crime with no hiccups or bad decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

Now I'm thinking about To Live & Die in LA - the perfect plan was not Defoe's counterfeiting, but the constant gently caress-ups by Petersen and Monkey Shines guy, right?

Happens a lot in Michael Mann (I know who directed it, but it is a Michael Mann movie straight up) movies, having to rely on others is inherently unreliable.

• Locked thread