Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just saw this with a couple of friends and goddamn it was pretty good I think. We were tense the entire time and super disturbed at a bunch of scenes. Really liked the movie also score was fantastic, real creeped out drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

Both the author and Fincher (because Fincher made the specific decision to adapt this book and apparently stick fairly close to the original story) could have shown how damaged Amy's psyche was in a number of ways, but instead they chose to draw on common tropes of the stereotypical crazy manipulative woman who abuses her position as a woman to attack men.

See what I wrote above in response to this. While the film portrays both characters as damaged individuals, it clearly portrays Amy much more critically than it does Nick, and the latter appears much more sympathetic than the former.

The key here in my mind is Nick's encounter with the ex falsely accused of rape. The ex says that the only reason Amy ruined his life is because he began to become distant when he realized that the relationship wasn't going where he wanted it to - and the movie makes no effort to refute this. Amy is shown to be a psychopath purely out to ruin the lives of men who try to get away from her, while Nick is depicted as someone drawn into a relationship that became an unhappy marriage who then had an affair to escape; even if Nick is sleazy, the portrayals are not at all equally critical.

At the same time NPH's character Dessi is shown to be a massive creep and everytime he was on screen it was very unsettling, like when he kissed her on the forehead and stuff. Just loving weird man and you can definitely see why Amy got that restraining order on him and stuff.

"This time I won't let you get away Amy."

Amy was clearly hosed up growing up thanks to her parents, but Nick was also pretty messed up as well considering his dad situation and then his mom dying and stuff. Him cheating on her and doing the exact same thing he did with Amy must have set Amy off super hard. Especially considering he had no money as well and he was spending her money on like macbooks and poo poo, the bar, new home.

I don't know man I thought it was a good movie about hosed up people and the hosed up way the news media attacks people as well.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CortezFantastic posted:

Does it speak badly of me that I sat through this entire movie not once thinking about MRA or misogyny or anything of the like? I even looked women in the eye instead of avoiding them

e: it is a loving movie you dorks

I did the same.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I feel like the Desi thing was the one true thing that happened unlike the other ex. NPH just nailed the creepy atmosphere of his character. Just felt real unsettling when he was on screen or talking.

• Locked thread