Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Do not go and watch this movie with your girlfriend or you might end up probably single.

Loved it, btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I think coupes will enjoy it, in that uncomfortable smile kind of way, while on a less than a year together couple might cause some unwanted rift lol

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Venkmanologist posted:

If you watch this with your SO and you both come away saying anything other than "Holy poo poo they're both completely hosed up" I'd say you have problems. Seriously why would this be awkward or weird for a couple?
Because its dealing with inherent relationship issues with 100% pulp, dark thoughts like the movie's opening and ending monologue. The format and dark humour are there for reeling you in, but you might end up taking a second look at your own relationship.

Bown posted:

This really came across to me as an MRA's wet dream. Impeccably-directed, shot, scored, and acted, but Amy definitely comes across as a psycho bitch to me. They could have pulled it off if they delved more into why she was like this, but "my husband was cheating on me so I concocted this elaborate plan to frame him etc" is totally nuts. I can't agree with Flynn that the motive is there. Plus a lot of it was like "the justice system is stacked against men!!!" although that's the lesser issue here.

If people take that from the film I think it will be a Fight Club situation again. The twist, I'm sure, is meant play both with men's fears and with women's fantasy, albeit in a overtly shocking manner, while making Amy a character you can relate to when you see her cleverly moving around a men's world. Sure, she's a sociopath straight out of a Batman book, but Nick's not quite sane on his own and people love the Joker for a reason.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

How is film Nick not sane? I've heard that his character is far more ambiguous in the book - but at least in the film he comes across as an entirely reasonable normal, nice man. Perhaps I missed something, do you have any examples?

My take from the ending that he actually loves her, and not sane I guess is too harsh, but he's wholly in that symbiotic relationship 100%, like his twin feared.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

If that's the joke what's the punchline? What are we supposed to take away from the construction of the worst possible woman? That's what I failed to find in this, the conclusion is pretty much 'and she ruins his life but who cares because he sucks, the end.'

I'm not sure she's the worst possible woman, with Nick being the male paranoia I would say she's the female revenge fantasy, the one who walks and twists a men's world; albeit I think this might have a Fight Club side-effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I believe most people will leave with an unconformable smile on them, "so, uh, affleck sure was a jerk cheating on his wife, right honey? want me to get you something?"

I simply adored the film, the shocking nature of the theme and characters is there to confront you with complicity, the over the top elements are the fun pulp to gulp it all down easier

• Locked thread