Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

With people mentioning how it plays into MRA and RedPill tropes, I thought I'd go into the lions den itself and read what they have to say. Here are two threads I found on Reddit discussing the movie. Jesus these people are loving nutters. But perhaps the craziest thing I read in these posts is that some of these posters are married! To women!!! Anyway, "enjoy":

http://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights/comments/2icfgz/has_anyone_seen_the_movie_gone_girl_yet/

http://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/comments/2icwl4/gone_girl_a_red_pill_analysis/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

The fact that a few people defended Amy murdering Desi as self-defense is honestly sort of baffling to me. Yeah, the dude was pretty creepy, but I didn't get the vibe that he was planning on hurting her, or that she couldn't just leave while he was gone. In fact, she only starts to plan her "escape" (tying up her arms, the wine bottle thing, etc) once she sees Nick on TV saying everything she wanted to hear and decides to go back. That having been said, the scene I mentioned was absolutely gruesome, horrifying, and shocking in the best possible way.
See, I didn't get the vibe that she killed Desi and went back to Nick because she saw that interview and felt like that was the man she fell in love with. I got the impression that she found her situation with Desi worse than what she had/could have again with Nick and concocted a plan that would frame Desi as her kidnapper and allow her to escape back to her "normal" life without getting in any sort of trouble (and, in fact, coming out "ahead" from where she started). I didn't really believe she fell back in love with Nick or whatever she said, but just that that was a convenient way for her to escape from Desi. Did others here believe what she said about the Nick she saw in that interview?

• Locked thread