Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
I found it amusing that Rosamund Pike managed to show everything but a nipple in that movie. Does she have a no nudity clause or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

So did the author have a boyfriend who cheated on her, or something?

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Can the movie even be misogynistic if the novel was written by a woman?

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Where do you think I'm getting my opinion of this film from? I went and saw it because A)its fincher and B) the reviews were trending towards very positive, I came out thinking I must be insane because no movie had repulsed me remotely like this in a long time, and nothing in this thread comes even close to swaying me. Do you have a compelling defense for the film? It would be nice if someone presented one, especially since it sounds like I must be way off base here. I've read through the thread and it seems to be divided into two camps: those who have a similar opinion to me and those who feel like the characters were balanced in their respective failings, which even if you believe that, is no excuse for the film's prodigious use of mra memes. Come on off your high horse and make a case.

wow I didn't realize that author Gillian Flynn regularly posted in /r/TheRedPill, where'd you find this out?

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

So if I make a movie where the guy is revealed to be a rapist who uses physical force to get what he wants, that's a "misandrist" film, right? Because the guy uses cliched stereotypes about men?

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

MoaM posted:

The dude sitting in front of me kissed his female movie-watching partner at least three times during the movie.

We were on a date, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

Also the movie passes the Bechdel test so it can't be sexist.

Does it, though? When Amy and the trailer park girl are talking, it's about what guy beat her up and then about the harmless guy living next door. What other conversations between two women are there?

• Locked thread