Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What I find really fascinating is that Amy wanted to come back after seeing Nick's performance on the news show, because we are initially led to believe that she wanted "that Nick", which on the surface sounds like she likes who that guy is. But I think what she's actually saying is that she was into what the actual Nick does, which mirrors her own behavior.

The moment he begins playing the game by her rules, she's in. She's got somebody to go all sociopath with her.

It is deeply fascinating how this film approaches themes of surface behavior, true motive, and outside appearance.

I don't find the film specifically sexist or misogynistic, mostly due to the fact that all of the other women in the film are fully-realized characters. The film wasn't talking about women. It was talking about this woman, and took efforts to make sure we knew so. Still, some will always miss the point, adding any ammunition to the MRA handbook is always going to be a bad thing, and adding images to the cultural zeitgeist suggesting that rapes are often faked isn't the best idea ever, but again, the film went out of its way to portray several different types of women that don't fit into one of three-or-four stereotypes we're so used to seeing in media. I could see it being damaging, sure, but it told a story of a sociopathic woman in the least damaging way possible. For women, anyway.

If anything, I'd worry more about the film's ableist leanings. The antagonist has a medical problem so stigmatized that Nick will gladly spend the rest of his life playing games with her and fearing his own brutal murder instead of suggesting, "Uh, hey. Let's go see a loving doctor." This is how stigmatized mental illness is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It doesn't really matter. The Bechdel is more a measure of every movie released in a year than each individual movie.

"This movie didn't pass the Bechdel test" isn't nearly as damning as "Only three Hollywood movies this year passed the Bechdel test."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TrixRabbi posted:

Another thing I like was Fincher seemed to pull a page from Hitchcock's Stage Fright. Stage Fright is infamous for Hitchcock "cheating," by showing us a false past in a lie told by the villain. Fincher does the same here, giving us a fake flashback of Nick pushing Amy into the banister. This furthers the media commentary. Even the film itself lies to us in order to convince us that Nick is an abuser and a potential murderer.

Also, did anyone else draw parallels between this and Soderbergh's Side Effects?
I was under the impression that the repeat performance in the ending meant that this actually happened.

TrixRabbi posted:

I always like to point out that Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS passes the Bechdel Test, but Jeanne Dielman does not.
Again, the Bechdel test is not meant to criticize individual movies. It is meant for us to look at how few movies pass it each year.

A movie not passing it does not mean it is a bad movie in any way. Looking at how Hollywood releases so few films that pass it is what's bad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TrixRabbi posted:

And I'm well aware of how the Bechdel Test is meant to work. It's just using it as an argument against Gone Girl is null (especially since it passes) because you can have horribly sexist films that pass and feminist triumphs that fail.
Gotchya'.

I also stand corrected on my other point.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zwabu posted:

I don't think the pat defense of "oh you think it's misogynist because YOU assume Amy must represent ALL women, the issue is with YOU" is that strong.

If you had a film/book where a black character embodies the entire checklist of every single negative stereotype of black people, or a Jewish character who embodies the checklist of every stereotype against Jews, I think a lot of people would find it problematic even if it was clear that "well this character doesn't represent ALL black people/Jews".
I agree completely with where you're coming from, but your hypothetical movie would be read quite differently by many if its central themes were about questioning appearances, stereotyping, and media, and were also stacked wall to wall with jewish people or black people who were portrayed very differently than the character you're describing.

It's always going to be damaging, because stupid people will always be stupid. But its aim is to explore the very issue you're talking about, and that's what makes it different to me.

It's meant to explore stereotyping, and media portrayals.

Again, though, I totally see where you're coming from, and agree that many could walk away from this film affirming their preconceived notions about women. And that's a shame, because I think the film's aim is contrary to that result.

• Locked thread