Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

ShoogaSlim posted:

The cat for best supporting actor or I boycott the academy awards.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. The cat and the sister were the only likeable characters. I especially enjoyed the fact that after a big shouty fight with Nick, the sister still takes a second to pet the cat as she storms out the door.

It was occasionally difficult to not see Neil Patrick Harris as Barney Stinson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Yoshifan823 posted:

Nah, Amy spitting into the hick girl's drink was more than enough for that, she's just an incredibly spiteful person.

And I love that, in doing so, she immediately proves the hick girl's perception of her to be right.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Yeah I gotta say in all his scenes the dad totally nailed it, I was really impressed with the character and performance

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

It was well-acted and well-directed, but I felt like a lot of the back half was riding real close to TV-movie-level bullshit. The authorities don't follow up on the huge holes in Amy's story? Fuckkkkk you. Someone's dead; her story would have been blown to pieces in a day.

I really enjoyed the supporting cast. I didn't expect NPH to play such a great creepo, and Tyler Perry was awesome as well.

There were a lot of decisions that were obviously made for conventions' sake that took me out of things a little. Your cited example is one, but it ties into the media frenzy of things that this poor lost lady has such a dramatic return to safety that nobody really cares how it happened exactly. The one that bothered me, not so much for story purposes but for "having this grounded in reality" purposes was them sending her home from the hospital drenched in a man's blood, because god knows if she has any injuries under there or if he's carrying any dangerous blood-borne pathogens, but no, we need a Lady MacBeth-esque "a little water clears us of this deed" shower scene.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Surlaw posted:

The Lady Macbeth inversion is infinitely more interesting than screening her for blood-borne pathogens regardless of the fact that it's not reality. It isn't meant to be. It's fine to say that was a dumb choice or bad subtext or whatever, but it's not a plot hole.

Oh I agree with you, just seeing her come home still drenched in gore briefly interrupted my suspension of disbelief until they stepped into the shower and I went "THAT'S why, okay then."

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

precision posted:

I do know why it's a talking point, but it seems the only people accusing it of being misogynist are reminding me of people who thought Fight Club was endorsing pissing in people's soup.

This is the best phrasing of it I've seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

LaTex Fetish posted:

this is the best advice for every movie ever. but i keep seeing interstellar ads during the previews and i cant leave the theater fast enough

I've seen the previews and I still have no clue what that movie is supposed to be about

• Locked thread