Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Saw this yesterday. Took me a bit to get into it in the beginning, but poo poo I was totally into it during 2nd and 3rd acts. Especially the bits involving NPH (what a creeper). I'd rank Gone Girl maybe third among my favorite of Fincher's work, behind Zodiac and The Social Network. This had all the obvious hallmarks of a solid Fincher film; his poo poo is just so slick and stylish. That said, I can see how some will read this as an utterly misogynist film. My initial reaction upon discussion with friends afterward was solely "drat, that woman is cray cray" and actually feared for Nick in the end with all the power that Amy has over him, but also saw that craziness as a display of karmic retribution.

FourLeaf posted:

I thought the crazy intense way she was staring at the screen during the interview showed that she really did take Nick at his word that he'd stop being such a lovely husband, so she decided to give him a second chance. Later in the film when Nick and Amy are in the shower together she makes sure to remind him of his promise that he'll change his behavior, while washing off Desi's blood. Implication: finally, after all the years of her acting like the Cool Girl, now it's Nick's turn to be a "Cool Guy," to pretend to be exactly how she wants. And if he breaks his promise, she'll make him suffer.

This makes a lot of sense and I think is a good direction as to what Amy's motives/mindset were during that particular situation. It plays into her Amazing Amy stories where the fictional Amy always gets or becomes the thing she wanted, as if she were living out some hosed up iteration of one of her own stories in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The cat did kind of look sinister as gently caress while perched on the kitchen counter in front of Amy. That was pretty amazing acting. Really made the scene. I say this unironically.

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 6, 2014

• Locked thread