Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Loved the movie, loved its score. Some not so quick thoughts after just seeing this, kind of all over the map. I hate all the spoiler tags but whatever.

I loved that this film was messing with expectations the entire time and I never felt that anything I saw or was told was 100% reliable by the end. With Neil Patrick Harris, the dude is shot to look sinister and gives a performance to match. He's the creepy mastermind with a Bond villain mansion and Harris plays up that element, and then the bedroom scene comes and we see that he's just another guy completely out of his element. We see him looking villainous because Nick sees him that way and Amy writes him that way. He felt along the same lines as Alien in Spring Breakers, another guy that's kind of sleazy but gets completely ruined by being swept up in something bigger than him. Much of the film's plot deals with how the media paints characters a certain way to manipulate audiences while the film itself is doing the same thing to us.

MeinPanzer posted:

The problem I have with this response is that while every character ends up looking bad (except for the sister, I guess), the movie really presents Nick as the protagonist, and after the point where he confesses his infidelity, he pretty much just becomes a sympathetic character
I liked this because his lawyer directly stated that it was going to happen. When he said "they're going to love you now" he's talking about both the people in the real world audience and in the fictional audience. It even sort of works on Amy! She gains a new sort of affection for Nick during his TV interview that probably isn't anything like love but is certainly a feeling of kinship. He taught her that he can manufacture himself just as well as she can. His "Partners in Crime" line is pretty fantastic.

I loved that the Amazing Amy Case of the present day and the Amazing Amy books of the past are essentially the same thing, both selling the public on a true story that isn't really there.

Also thought the early shot of Nick carrying a giant copy of MASTERMIND under his arm while going to the bar was pretty funny and "I just want to shoot some people" while playing his game was pretty funny too.

Zwabu posted:

I think the issue is, as a practical matter, there's now way she could get away with being on the road in the cabin for days and then being at the lake house for weeks and make up such a complicated story about what happened.

As a practical matter, you're right. But what matters is the FBI doesn't care. They're satisfied with these results and close the case. It's showing law enforcement as corrupt and gross as the media. The Good Cop knows the story's full of holes and she gets shot down trying to pursue it.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Weirdly, I didn't buy the dude who got fake-rape-accused, at least not entirely. I mean, I dont doubt the event happened, but clearly you only get one side of that story, and the other dudes Amy fucks with are seen from an objective point of view, rather than telling their own story. I'm sure if we just heard Desi's side of the story, he'd seem pretty sympathetic too.
I felt the same way. The film is so heavily about buying into the image you're being sold that it seems silly to accept anyone's story at face value by that point.

Another thing I liked: Amy, for all her brilliant machinations, gets totally punked by the Dumb Redneck Cliches she meets. And she automatically assumes the man manipulated the woman into robbing her because that fits the image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

K. Waste posted:

In the alternate ending the cat is Amy and Nick's child.

The way he carried the cat into the house like a baby was pretty adorable.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I think this film is to Law and Order what Twin Peaks is to daytime soaps. Nick's dopey Law and Order namedrop is one of the best bits. The Homeless City is also pretty funny.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The FBI scene is massively important though, even if the officer's gender didn't matter until that point it very much mattered to the subtext then.

I agree that a lot of the characters you listed were just loud, brash cliches but I found them all (intentionally) funny rather than flawed writing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yeah I'm pretty sure during the Cool Girls monologue she mentioned inventing the abuse. By the end she's made Nick into the monster she needed him to be and his shoving her really sends that home.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yoshifan823 posted:

I think you're mistaking the character being a representation of these stereotypes because it's easy to write/make seem evil, and the character being written that way because the character knows these stereotypes and uses them to her advantage. It's more like a movie about a sociopathic black/Jewish person who uses the stereotypes of them in order to gently caress people over. Whether or not that's problematic itself is up for grabs, but Amy is just as aware of these stereotypes as we are.

Yeah, she's fully aware of it and her Cool Girls speech has echoes of Richard III's "I'm determined to prove the villain" monologue.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Aramis posted:

However, I'm not sure how I understand why the movie went out of its way to make sure we don't feel bad about Neil Patrick Harris dying.
I'm pretty sure I felt bad about it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So let's just embrace that Amy is an MRA strawman, for a moment. How do you idiot men defeat an Amy? The only answer is through Christ.

Along this line, I like that Nick "defeats" her by offering her love and forgiveness, even though it's an act.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Tactical Realism of her plan isn't really the point here anymore than it is in Spring Breakers or American Psycho.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

She gives this massive monologue and shows every little thing going perfectly and then gets wrecked by being too dumb to take the Dumb Rednecks seriously. The first plan derails pretty quickly and isn't a great plan, the point of it is the way she, Nick and the media sell the story, not what's actually true. The world's happy with the results, the people questioning it are told to shut up.

Of course there are holes in her plan. Of course it wouldn't hold up in court. The detective sees through it immediately and says so. The point is the people watching her story don't care.

I mean,

quote:

god knows if she has any injuries under there or if he's carrying any dangerous blood-borne pathogens, but no, we need a Lady MacBeth-esque "a little water clears us of this deed" shower scene.
The Lady Macbeth inversion is infinitely more interesting than screening her for blood-borne pathogens regardless of the fact that it's not reality. It isn't meant to be. It's fine to say that was a dumb choice or bad subtext or whatever, but it's not a plot hole.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 14, 2014

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Is it a plot hole if a character in the film directly acknowledges it and the police shake their heads and shut her up? A hole in her story (and yeah, there are a ton) isn't a plot hole in the film. The point of all the media frenzy stuff is that "reality" is whatever you're selling the audience. If nothing else, Amy and eventually Nick are great salesmen.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

PriorMarcus posted:

Doesn't Amy's narration out right say that he never hit her?

Her narration doesn't really lie to the viewer, except when it's reciting from the diary.

Yes, she says she invented the abuse. She also tells Nick at the end that he has to play along with the abuse story, and the girl who robs her sees through her story and says she's obviously never really been hit before.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rewatched it this weekend and another thing that stuck with me regarding class is that the poor/homeless drug dealer is 100 percent honest and genuine. The couple that robs Amy has little need for artiface and this guy, even "lower" than them, has none.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I liked this movie a lot more the second time even knowing all the beats. Don't let basic plot information drive you out of a theater during a preview.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

There are literally scenes in the movie in which the characters point out that there's evidence of holes in her story and that the investigators/media/public doesn't care, they just want a good story. Do you think that's there on accident or that it might be making a point?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Law enforcement is definitely never corrupt or lazy in real life.

There's plenty to legitimately criticize in the film but "the police didn't follow proper protocol in this black comedy" making it the worst film you've ever seen makes you kind of dumb.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 5, 2014

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

lizardman posted:

I finally saw this and couldn't wait to come here and read how 'problematic' people thought the movie was. You didn't disappoint, CineD!
The vast majority of people here didn't.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The ridiculous romantic dialog and increasingly ridiculous schemes work well and are really funny as a black comedy/satire of police procedurals. Nick's big stupid grin when he says "it's like an episode of CSI!" early on is great.

The plausibility of the crime and the sloppiness of Amy's methods aren't really the point. If you didn't like the media stuff then yeah I can see not liking it at all, everything hinged on that.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yeah, there's a lot about how Amy treats and manipulates class here and the robbery is the best part. She 100% fools the rich guy, her middle class husband takes half the movie to figure out something's wrong, and the "trashy" characters see through her immediately. Her sloppiness is a big part of being a rich person playing a role she's unsuited to, and roles/perception are a huge part of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Amy's vindictiveness outweighs her logic. She shouldn't have left the notes for Nick at all but that's what makes her fun to watch.

• Locked thread