Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Edit: also, lol at Fincher and Flynn claiming the ending was going to be changed, if wasn't.

That's outstanding, I love it.

As soon as I read that Flynn was re-writing the ending, I assumed this would be a possibility. I really can't conceive of an ending that would justify changing it, for fear of it being worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

If that's the joke what's the punchline? What are we supposed to take away from the construction of the worst possible woman? That's what I failed to find in this, the conclusion is pretty much 'and she ruins his life but who cares because he sucks, the end.'

My interpretation of the ending- That it's absurd to think the woman doing these things could actually exist, unless she were mentally ill. Our protagonist, another caricature, the beta male, has to put up with it.

trip9 posted:

So wait, are women not allowed to be evil in movies or it's misogynistic? As other people have pointed out, the only two levelheaded people in the entire film are women.

Also, I would place this movie in the horror genre personally, Amy is pretty much written to be the craziest psycho-bitch imaginable. I don't see why that makes Fincher or Flynn misogynists. It's pretty clear that Amy is not being portrayed as in any way representative of women in general.

Strongly agreed. The misogyny claims would hold water if Amy was presented as realistic, but she isn't.

Only coming from a book-reader perspective so far, going to see the film this afternoon. Really interested to see how the movie depicts certain aspects of the story, because either Fincher made explicit things subtle, or many ITT really missed the boat.

By the end of the book Its crystal clear that Amy is a sociopath, and the villain of the story. The back and forth relationship woes are part of the first act(and often fabricated in the diary) , and after the reveal it's full-on evil by Amy. It's weird to hear that others don't see it this way, it makes me super curious to see how Fincher handles it.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

The main themes of the movie are deceit, manipulation, and control-- and in the third act love-- and with all the unreliable narration and characters, not to mention the not-so-subtle dialogue about bending and shaping an audiences' perception, I don't understand how you could take a surface level reading of the film's "misogyny" without seeing that it's just a facade probably meant to make you feel some type of way. There's a lot more going on with these characters if you don't get caught up in the "hey, in this hand I have false rape accusations," and miss what's happening in the other hand.

Great post. The two leads are both liars, and the story itself lies to you.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Yeah, it is absurd to think such a character would exist, and I don't think anyone is confused about the fact that she's the villain. If you're confused about why people would still have a problem with it, try and imagine a film where the villain is a racist caricature, pick whatever race you want and imagine that all the evil deeds they do are based specifically on the things that racists say about that group. Would anyone get away with making such a film? Doubtful, unless it was a full on satire and even then you have issues. Is this film a satire? People in this thread have said so but without satisfactorily saying what exactly its meant to satire.

It's pretty clearly satire, IMO. Things satirized include-

A. How being a couple works in good times and bad
B. Expectations placed on us by our partners vs. society's expectations for us
C. Personal life vs. Public life

The idea that a person would go so far as to frame someone for murder, kill for and entrap them to have the perfect life is the entire point.

People who don't get this, what did you think the point of the last ten minutes was? If you missed this, I'm sure you think the movie sucks. The entire point went by you.

• Locked thread