Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Jean Eric Burn posted:

RLM's insularity on this one just makes me feel really really uncomfortable because, just my personal take on it, it really strikes me that they didn't like the movie because they didn't like their own childhoods. Just plain sad. Like they were bullied too much as kids.

This seems like a lot more of a stretch than 'they prefer strongly plot-driven movies and don't like Linklater's style (and enjoy trolling)'.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
To be fair, Mike is probably an alcoholic.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Really liked the movie, even if a little slow paced some time.
I'm glad it won the awards that deserved.
Crazy to see him actually growing all the time. You first only notice the hair changing, but slowly you really see him older. Crazy to see this in a movie that last few hours.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Watched this movie last night and really enjoyed it.

One of the things I really enjoyed was seeing a tumultuous childhood through the eyes of children (and later, teenagers). Several scenes did this for me. One was when Ethan Hawke brought the kids back to the mom's house instead of to the grandma's house. The two go outside to fight but we have no idea what is said, we just get the kids watching the fight through binoculars. Later, after the alcoholic step dad beats up the mom, we see the four kids sitting in one room, talking about it. And no one is ever melodramatic or crying. They're kids and kids are pretty resilient. This is their reality and they are talking about it matter-of-factly. Later, with the lecture in the dark room, this guy is presented as an rear end in a top hat. His tone is pretty stern and his bathed in devilish red light. We're seeing him the way Mason sees him.....as another rear end in a top hat adult male telling him what to do. But the funny thing is, the guy is giving him GREAT advice. But Mason, being a teenager, of course doesn't see it this way. There's also a similar scene with the manager at the restaurant.

Overall, one of the most impressive and interesting movies I've ever seen, even if its not the kind of thing that you could just sit down and watch to be mindlessly entertained for a few hours.

edit: Also, really good soundtrack....loved the Wilco song from Sky Blue Sky at the right time period. So many small pop culture references in every single scene.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 16, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mahoning posted:

So many small pop culture references in every single scene.

One of my favorite parts of this movie, for sure. It was fun trying to figure out what year each scene took place in based on the background music.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I just saw this tonight (it was a big day for me, this and Inherent Vice), I really loved it. It probably helps that I'm really close in age to the main character, so a lot of the little pop culture things (playing Halo with dumb middle school friends, the high school emo phase) lined up with my life, which made it really hit home for me. I saw a lot of myself in that character, and it really got me feeling nostalgic for that kind of stuff.

Anyone else notice him emulating his father as he was starting to grow up? The bit where he rants in the car about Facebook made me feel like he was channeling Ethan Hawke in the Before movies, and even his awful center-part hair at the end was very Reality Bites.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Coffee And Pie posted:

It probably helps that I'm really close in age to the main character, so a lot of the little pop culture things (playing Halo with dumb middle school friends, the high school emo phase) lined up with my life, which made it really hit home for me.

It doesn't hurt, but at the same time every generation has their pop culture things that happen like that. I grew up in the 80's but I still rode bikes around the neighborhood with other kids, I still moved away from them with no real notice other than "hey I'm moving in a month" and then never saw them again. I had peer pressure to drink and tell/brag about how far I'd gone with girls, I witnessed alcoholic parents and divorced parents, bullying, tagging along with older brothers, all that same stuff.

In other words, the graphics keep getting better but a fun game is a fun game - even if it's just a board game. I'm 25 years older than you and I still very thoroughly connected with the main character. On the other hand I also connected with the parents.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The restaurant manager who makes himself the center of the party is by far my favorite character in this

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

morestuff posted:

The restaurant manager who makes himself the center of the party is by far my favorite character in this

I loved his little speech because he gets the laugh with his sort of lame joke, but then he has no idea how to wrap it up so he just kind of fumbles to a finish.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Coffee And Pie posted:

I just saw this tonight (it was a big day for me, this and Inherent Vice), I really loved it. It probably helps that I'm really close in age to the main character, so a lot of the little pop culture things (playing Halo with dumb middle school friends, the high school emo phase) lined up with my life, which made it really hit home for me. I saw a lot of myself in that character, and it really got me feeling nostalgic for that kind of stuff

This was my favorite stuff from the film. It was like a period piece in a way, but actually done in the period. I found it really neat.

I'll be honest, I liked it, but I didn't love it. I loved it up until the kid turned 15. Then nothing really happened. I mean, kids do weird, crazy poo poo in high school all the time. They sneak around, act like dicks, get drunk, run from cops, have sex, relationship problems....and there was barely any of that. It's true in real life that not every kid has this amazing life story, but everyone has something interesting happen to them that they tell over and over and the only reason you have any interest is because you know that person. I don't mind the lack of 'plot'. But I still felt like the movie missed an opportunity to make the last act interesting. I ended up not liking Mason too much at the end. He was a dull dude. A aimless, zero personality young man. He did just kind of mumble and just blow past scenes without any spark. I knew some kids like that, sure. But that doesn't mean I would like to see a movie about them, you know?

But it was good. I can't call it bad in anyway. I just had some issues, but it was a nice film. A grim reminder that lives suck and there isn't anything at the end. But also at the same time the joy and emotion that come with it. It left me conflicted at the end, and I thought about my own life, and how it was shaped, and life changing events that led me where I am. Which a good thing for a movie to do, right?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Finally saw this last night. When it was over I thought it was just Pretty Good, but it keeps growing on me the more I think about it. I woke up early this morning and was just overcome by melancholy and nostalgia. Even with the lovely stepdads and stuff, Mason has his whole life ahead of him. Endless possibilities. I'm only 26 myself, but I don't have that anymore and I never will. The movie really drives home how loving brief and fleeting it all is, especially with Olivia's breakdown when Mason leaves for college and the conversation at the very end about always being in the moment. As many have said, I also love the way that things don't wrap up neatly and there aren't really any contrivances, because this is a movie about life. The only other Linklater films I've seen are Dazed and Confused and School of Rock, but Linklater, from his films and his sort of public persona, always strikes me as someone who is incredibly sincere with his art and it really shows here. So many great little moments, like Mason Sr. telling Mason he can get his own car and be cool one day "like I used to be."

What a wonderful movie. I miss living in Texas.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Finally saw this last night. When it was over I thought it was just Pretty Good, but it keeps growing on me the more I think about it. I woke up early this morning and was just overcome by melancholy and nostalgia. Even with the lovely stepdads and stuff, Mason has his whole life ahead of him. Endless possibilities. I'm only 26 myself, but I don't have that anymore and I never will. The movie really drives home how loving brief and fleeting it all is, especially with Olivia's breakdown when Mason leaves for college and the conversation at the very end about always being in the moment.

Yeah, I'm 25 and had the exact same reaction.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Same here, and I'm only 21.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The only other Linklater films I've seen are Dazed and Confused and School of Rock, but Linklater, from his films and his sort of public persona, always strikes me as someone who is incredibly sincere with his art and it really shows here. So many great little moments, like Mason Sr. telling Mason he can get his own car and be cool one day "like I used to be."

I'd get on the Before Trilogy if you have time.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

morestuff posted:

Yeah they are great and late 20s is a good time to watch them.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

morestuff posted:

Do this. But don't marathon them, they really benefit from a little time between movies. I think I took a month between each when I first watched them.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

morestuff posted:

They're definitely on the list.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Yeah, watching this movie at 21 crushed me. It was like watching my own life chronicled up to this point, divorced parents and everything (though thankfully no domestic abuse). The scene where Mason's dad pulls the car over because he refuses to have a fake relationship with his kids is almost identical to a distinct memory I remember with my dad. As a kid its hard not to view a divorce the effects it has on you, but poo poo did it make me reconsider that one and think about from my parents perspective.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Coffee And Pie posted:

Do this. But don't marathon them, they really benefit from a little time between movies. I think I took a month between each when I first watched them.

This is good advice.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This film really made me realize how conventional film structures have messed up my ability to appreciate different stuff. In the final hour of the film I was constantly wondering how it was gonna end. I was certainly enjoying myself (and I loved this movie), but it bugged me that things weren't ramping up to a climactic finish. That's unfortunate, I think.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I thought it was so refreshing to watch a film where things just happened, just to show things that happened, not because they were leading up to something. Getting a gun didn't mean someone was going to get shot. Getting warned not to use the phone while driving and then using the phone didn't lead to a crash. Conversely sometimes bad things happened without foreshadowing. More of that please.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nition posted:

I thought it was so refreshing to watch a film where things just happened, just to show things that happened, not because they were leading up to something. Getting a gun didn't mean someone was going to get shot. Getting warned not to use the phone while driving and then using the phone didn't lead to a crash. Conversely sometimes bad things happened without foreshadowing. More of that please.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's been about 15 years since I saw the first one and never got around to the others. I remember pretty much next to nothing about it (other than it being great). Maybe I should dive into the 2nd without a rewatch for the fun of it.

• Locked thread