Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I'm 5'3 and 208 pounds. My lowest weight is 125 pounds from when I swam competitively in high school, and my highest weight was actually around 235 pounds this past spring right after I turned 26 years old.

In college I rubber banded between 128-150 pounds, sometimes restricting myself below 700 calories a day to lose weight. Then I'd feel better about myself and I'd start eating worse and gaining again. After college I worked at a call center for three years and got up to 200 pounds before I got an office job. I definitely emotionally ate to manage the stress from the call center job. I also notice that getting on medication for my thyroid and PCOS this spring has made a huge difference in my appetite. I don't constantly feel hungry and tired anymore.

I'm kind of shocked that people in this thread mentioned that they got to 300 pounds before they were told they were pre-diabetic. I got my physical a couple of weeks ago, at 208 pounds, and my liver enzymes were high so my doctor warned me that I might be pre-diabetic. My mother, who is also 5'3, was warned about possibly being pre-diabetic when she was 190 and about 50 years old.

I also notice that a lot of people in this thread have mentioned that nobody talked to them about their weight. My experience was the opposite--I actually dumped a boyfriend of three years for calling me a "fat lazy slob" during a nasty fight, and my parents give me weight watchers snack bars for my birthday and Christmas every year. My mom constantly nags my dad, who is about 300 pounds, to stop eating fast food.

I think the shame I felt about my body and lack of control was by far the hardest part of gaining weight. I've honestly never had a hard time finding dates at any of my weights, although I used to feel really bad about myself and would hold back from approaching people that I found attractive or interesting. I actually feel a lot better about myself now that I'm controlling my eating habits and actually feel like I have control over my body. It feels hopeless sometimes, but I'm sure I'll get there if I keep at it.

The second hardest part was how annoying it is to find cute clothes that fit. I have no idea how people who weigh over 300 pounds do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

legsarerequired posted:

I'm kind of shocked that people in this thread mentioned that they got to 300 pounds before they were told they were pre-diabetic. I got my physical a couple of weeks ago, at 208 pounds, and my liver enzymes were high so my doctor warned me that I might be pre-diabetic. My mother, who is also 5'3, was warned about possibly being pre-diabetic when she was 190 and about 50 years old.

There's a pretty big difference between weighing 208 lb at 5'3 and weighing 208 at 6'1

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
People think type 2 diabetes is like God's punishment for being fat. In reality it has a major genetic component. My grandmother is in her 80s, five feet tall, literally spherical, has a huge sweet tooth, and exercises by walking from her bedroom to her living room. She's not even prediabetic. Luck of the draw.

• Locked thread