Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Welcome to the thread for the new show:

TERROR IN RESONANCE

Who's involved?

Terror in Resonance is a new show directed by :siren:Shinichirō Watanabe:siren: (Not to be confused with Nabeshin who directed Excel Saga) who has been responsible for bringing to us the also currently airing Space Dandy which everyone should also be watching. Other works include Kids on the Slope, Samurai Champloo and some small show you might probably not have heard of called Cowboy Bebop.

Instead of doing the completely random disconnected thing that Space Dandy has going for it. Watanabe is doing a story driven original work, so it could be good, maybe could be bad. Watanabe has an extremely good track record though, so it'll at the very least be something interesting.

Yoko Kanno is once again involved with the soundtrack for the show. This is nothing but a good thing, and if you want to hear the soundtrack, just park yourself down and take a listen HERE

Forums user "Pootybutt" had this to say about the soundtrack (as I haven't been able to give it a proper listen yet) "Think a heavier Darker than Black with dudes who sound a looooot like Sigur Ros(neat I guess!) and Coldplay(blugh) in there somewhere. Not all of it's fantastic, but as a huge Kanno nerd, it's worth checking out and it brings to the world one of her best vocal tracks in ages"

Finally, just to go and show how Watanabe is able to grab some great talent in and give his shows the talent it needs. REDLINE's Takeshi Koike was the animator for the show's ED. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gULDTrD2JjI (This will probably get taken down at some point. Hopefully not!)

THE SHOW

So far, there's not much we know about the plot so far. The show stars two teenage boys named Nine (who also goes by Arata Kokonoe) and Twelve (who also goes by Tōji Hisami) who are actually a terrorist group that calls themselves Sphinx. The end of the first episode finds themselves joined by a student that goes to their high school called Lisa Mishima. Why are they terrorist? What's their ultimate goal? That's all unknown and we'll have to watch to find out.

(Nine, Lisa, and Twelve)

WHERE IS IT AIRING?

The show is currently airing on the Funimation website, where there is new episodes Thursdays at 12:50 pm Eastern. This is only available for US AND CANADIAN VIEWERS ONLY and you must have a membership to view current episodes. Funimation also does use Hulu as a host for those within the USA, so you should also be able to find the episodes there (membership restrictions may apply)

Series Page

For those of you across the pond, Madman should have it licensed (not sure where they hold streams) for Australia & New Zealand, while it should be streaming on Wakanim.tv for those in the UK. If any of you want to provide proper links for where to get them from. Post them and I'll update the OP.

(For anything I forgot, or you think I need to update. PM or post and I will do my best to update the OP!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Black Stones posted:

Welcome to the thread for the new show:

TERROR IN RESONANCE

Wellp! There you have it, folks. Japanese teenagers did 9/11 :freep:

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
You should link the opening into the main post, it's good stuff as well. It's my favorite OP of the season.

Show's solid, interesting, and as long as they don't pull any dumb love triangle bullshit with the trio I'm onboard for this. Shame it's only running for 11 episodes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Animes did 9/11

Looks like they used thermite. Interesting choice over just generic "bombs".

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 11, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Imagining the potential audience this show has in girls who treat the Columbine shooters like teen idols just makes me giggle.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I hadn't planned on watching this show, but I will at least listen to anything that Yoko Kanno puts out. So let's see how this series unfolds.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I kept waiting for a cameo from Cowboy Andy since their bombing method is straight out of the "Cowboy Funk" episode of Bebop. It will be interesting to see what (if any) edits Cartoon Network makes if they license the show. Adult Swim skipped that episode when it first aired the series in the aftermath of 9/11.

Loved the first episode. It had the highest production values of any anime that I can remember. I don't like the OP song, but the score was excellent as expected of Yoko Kanno.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

been waiting for this because Yoko Kanno is absolutely incredible. Great first episode. Hope it stays that way

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

:geno: "You will either help us do Japanese 9/11, or we will kill you."

[...]

:geno: "You chose to become an accomplish. That was your own choice"

Was that a translation error, or did I just lose any interest in the main characters?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't think you're supposed to like the main characters.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Or at least they're supposed to be a little unhinged. Especially the cheerful one.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is gonna come off as really superficial, but one thing I enjoyed right off the bat is that I was unable to recognize any of the VA's except for the dude that appeared on Gargantia. Oh, and that music. :allears:

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
At this point it's much too early to be making any judgements regarding any of the major characters. It's entirely possible their motivations and justifications for their actions will continue to further divide viewers as more is relieved. Hopefully we start to get a bit of character back-story in the next episode. Some substance to go with all that explosive style.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think it's best not to make a literalist reading of the events, pushing too far that direction will lead to disappointment as their motivations fail to stand up.

The show also has a very shoujo-ey art style and character design for its themes.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rexides posted:

[...]

Was that a translation error, or did I just lose any interest in the main characters?

Funimation's translation of when he first talks to Lisa is "You have two options. You can either die where you are, or you can join us."

You could read it as them saying "we're going to kill you" but I think the more intended reading is "You won't be able to escape, and thus will die." It still is very much by their hands as they're the ones that planted the bombs, but it's not intended to be a threat that they're going to kill her, just an inevitability because they're terrorists and not going to stop their plan because she is still hanging around. She has no idea what she's holding at the time is a bomb either.

So yeah, while it looks painfully dumb that she had two options and one was die, or join terrorists in the interest of self preservation; Nine is setting up what I think may be an essential point for people asking a question later on which might be "Why does she choose to stick with them?" and it's because she choose to do so instead of become a victim. I think it's why the whole her being bullied thing is even a thing, it's to show that she willing choose to now become a "bully" instead of letting herself be a victim. I could be wrong too, and really we just have to wait and see.

It doesn't seem like there's much of a choice because one of the options is very extreme and very few would likely take it, but yeah, it's still a choice.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
So I have a question regarding Lisa for this episode.
Just what exactly was her mother texting to Lisa? I mean it must have been really bad but the subs I watched didn't have a translation for the text.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
General overprotective stuff, "where are you" "are you all right", etc, except that Lisa feels that her mother is of no use to her.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Every single expression Twelve makes is unsettling.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm curious to see how far they'll push this. I mean, by all rights some people must have been killed by the falling debris if nothing else, so I'm hoping the show doesn't whitewash the protagonists' actions.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

So yeah, while it looks painfully dumb that she had two options and one was die, or join terrorists in the interest of self preservation; Nine is setting up what I think may be an essential point for people asking a question later on which might be "Why does she choose to stick with them?" and it's because she choose to do so instead of become a victim. I think it's why the whole her being bullied thing is even a thing, it's to show that she willing choose to now become a "bully" instead of letting herself be a victim. I could be wrong too, and really we just have to wait and see.

It doesn't seem like there's much of a choice because one of the options is very extreme and very few would likely take it, but yeah, it's still a choice.

I think it was the other way around; she's being bullied into it, but more importantly she's complacently letting herself be bullied. Remember, the jump from the bridge was presented as a direct parallel to the pool that the girl bullies were telling her to jump into. She didn't do it then, but she was willing to do it now. It's not like she wants to be there, but when you're presented with that kind of Catch 22 what the hell are you supposed to choose? It's not like her dying would have accomplished anything either for herself or others.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

I think it was the other way around; she's being bullied into it, but more importantly she's complacently letting herself be bullied. Remember, the jump from the bridge was presented as a direct parallel to the pool that the girl bullies were telling her to jump into. She didn't do it then, but she was willing to do it now. It's not like she wants to be there, but when you're presented with that kind of Catch 22 what the hell are you supposed to choose? It's not like her dying would have accomplished anything either for herself or others.

Uh, except that her choice is going to make her a terrorist and thus is going to be responsible for her victimizing others, thus making her a bully? Remember that twelve actually does jump into the pool during that scene, and the girls then leave them alone. Why? Because Twelve willingly made a choice and when the girls couldn't victimize Lisa with it anymore they lost power. If Lisa had the same kind of attitude where she jumped in on her own free will, there's a good chance that the bullies would lose interest because there's no power dynamic anymore.

Read what I wrote before, yes what the hell are you supposed to do? It is an extremely lovely choice. You either die, or you become complicit in something incredibly heinous and against your morals. The point remains that even if it is a catch 22 where no matter the choice there is no good outcome, a choice is still being made. By still continuing to paint Lisa as a victim, you are ignoring what Nine is pointing out, that in the end she chose self-preservation and not become a victim of the situation. Would her dying have accomplished something? Who knows? There's not enough information, and it will simply be speculation on what could have happened. It could have enraged people at their actions that they killed a high school girl, especially if nobody else dies during it (doubtful, but they did seem to try and evacuate the building beforehand; it would be extremely hard to believe considering the size of damage).

We're working with limited information though. So I think another episode or 2 is needed to make any solid judgements.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i hope terrorist-senpai notices me

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Black Stones posted:

Read what I wrote before, yes what the hell are you supposed to do? It is an extremely lovely choice. You either die, or you become complicit in something incredibly heinous and against your morals.
1) Survive, 2) exit the circumstances as soon as possible, 3) at trial argue that you were acting under duress. She could reasonably have believed that the building was evacuated by that point, so what she was agreeing to would be more likely to be a property crime (even if a huge one) than mass murder.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rexides posted:

[...]

They're terrorists. Somehow I don't think they're above manipulating a clearly unstable high school girl into helping them and then believing that it was her own choice.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i hope terrorist-senpai notices me

You can't seriously be planning to kill all those people, baka!!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I completely forgot that Watanabe and Kanno were doing this, so now I'm going to check it out. It seems like it will be the perfect time to check out Funi's new 360 app and see how great and/or terrible their service is as a paid member again.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Paracelsus posted:

1) Survive, 2) exit the circumstances as soon as possible, 3) at trial argue that you were acting under duress. She could reasonably have believed that the building was evacuated by that point, so what she was agreeing to would be more likely to be a property crime (even if a huge one) than mass murder.

Yeah, and a teenage girl is totally going to rationally think those options through in a matter of moments. You can formulate all the "well here's what she maybe could have done" situations, but A) if people always acted rationally in shows there would be a lot of really boring shows. B) The show made it pretty clear what she THOUGHT her choices were in that moment: She'd die, or she joins them.

So now we have to wait and see if the show explains more. Which it hopefully will. I'm not going to continue this because I think to reliably argue either side of the point we need to rely on character information we just don't have and more episodes will help formulate a stronger argument (or may debunk me completely).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, and a teenage girl is totally going to rationally think those options through in a matter of moments.
Not all the way through, no. But people's instinct is to do what keeps them alive, and the law recognizes that. The other steps can be figured out later.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I truly think that if somebody in anime-land had the balls to have their story not revolve around high-schoolers we could get some really good shows. The high-school crap makes taking what is supposed to be a serious story an exercise in suspension of disbelief.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
if anime fans weren't already on an NSA watchlist I think this show would do it

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, and a teenage girl is totally going to rationally think those options through in a matter of moments. You can formulate all the "well here's what she maybe could have done" situations, but A) if people always acted rationally in shows there would be a lot of really boring shows. B) The show made it pretty clear what she THOUGHT her choices were in that moment: She'd die, or she joins them.

So now we have to wait and see if the show explains more. Which it hopefully will. I'm not going to continue this because I think to reliably argue either side of the point we need to rely on character information we just don't have and more episodes will help formulate a stronger argument (or may debunk me completely).

A young girl who's scared shitless of a building collapsing around her is going to take life over being crushed/blown up/ incinerated any day, no matter what form that choice takes. Unless you were conscious enough to intentionally act to avoid complicity with the terrorists that blew up the building, anyone would rather take life.

E: I think I just got what you're trying to say. You think people will instinctually try to dissociate themselves from the terrorist and try to find their own way out. But my argument still stands that people will still choose life because the immediate threat is that gigantic chunk of concrete that just smashed the guy behind you.

When Lisa was at the pool, the bullies behind her egging her on, she had a similar choice: jump or be "bullied", whatever she thought that entailed. She was probably debating that choice on some level the entire time she was on the springboard since neither seemed much worse than the other. But now she's in a burning, collapsing building and "jump into pool" changed to "get out of building" and "bullying" changed to "excruciating death" and now the choice seems like a no-brainer.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 13, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Those ending titles were so good I watched them twice. Not sure what to make of the actual episode. Could be good. Agree that there's no need to set it in a highschool. The animation style in the dream sequence was really cool.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Did not show the cat who can do the moonwalk. 2/10

Intriguing enough first episode that I want to see where it goes. I didn't actually care for the ending song all that much, someone said Sigur Ros and I got all excited, but I just wasn't feeling it and didn't get that impression at all.

The Black Stones posted:

as a huge Kanno nerd, it's worth checking out and it brings to the world one of her best vocal tracks in ages"
This track is pretty great though.

Edit: the app for the 360 worked pretty good! Probably better than most of the times I've used their website directly actually. (sidenote: :rant: why doesn't favoriting something add it to your queue? Or at least why isn't there an "add to queue" button on the drat show pages?)

Editedit: ha! the recommended shows are Cowboy Bebop and Eden of the East. Not bad, funimation, not bad.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 13, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

trucutru posted:

I truly think that if somebody in anime-land had the balls to have their story not revolve around high-schoolers we could get some really good shows. The high-school crap makes taking what is supposed to be a serious story an exercise in suspension of disbelief.

Well, I admit I get tired of the super genius teen protagonist as every other viewer, but I think most anime revolves around HS because it's a common enough for the audience to relate to as setting. Do I want all anime to take place in HS? No.

I always found college students or working adults to have more potential for compelling stories but what can I do?

The first episode more or less lived up to it's hype from the PVs, Nine & Twelve's background stories could be a little less generic than secret government experimental facility. Nevertheless a promising start for TiR.

I'm a fan of Kids on the Slope and I hope this series will do well too.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CCheshire posted:

Well, I admit I get tired of the super genius teen protagonist as every other viewer, but I think most anime revolves around HS because it's a common enough for the audience to relate to as setting. Do I want all anime to take place in HS? No.

I always found college students or working adults to have more potential for compelling stories but what can I do?

It's not about the super-genius protagonist, you can have one in pretty much any setting. The problem is having to squeeze your story -no matter its tone- into the high school setting. I don't mind it in regular shows but this one obviously has a lot of effort and talent behind so the HS stuff annoys me.

Besides, once you're in the HS setting then it must be really tempting for the creators to use the "well, they are high-schoolers" argument to excuse all kinds of lazy writing, like having two loving terrorists that just killed a shitload of people suddenly welcome a girl they barely know to their club, because her eyes are sad or some other nonsense, instead of -you know- trying to find a good reason for it.

I sincerely hope they have a better excuse for her not ratting them out (because she won't) instead of "oh, teenage girl! bullies!"

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
If characters in stories always made the best, most rational decisions, they would be dull, conflict-free stories. Irrationality is an inherent aspect of being human.

Yes there is a line between having something feel irrational in a naturalistic sense and lazy writing that comes across as incoherent, but I don't feel like this series has crossed that line yet. 12 himself points out that Lisa is an unplanned element and that he came up with this solution on the fly.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
On the lordly "von:"

quote:

In German, von [fɔn] is a preposition which approximately means of or from.

When it is used as a part of a German family name, it indicates almost always a noble patriarchal lineage. "von" is usually a nobiliary particle, like de in French.[1] The von particle is also often part of commoners' surnames; thus, "Hans von Duisburg" meant Hans from [the city of] Duisburg. The Dutch van, which is a cognate of von but does not indicate nobility, has preserved this meaning.

V interesting wrt insurgency tactics

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

anyone get a lot of Evangelion vibes in the first episode? The ED seems pretty similar to Eva's and the first scene we see Lisa in has the trademarked "Cicadas in the background while looking at a painting" feel.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

Intriguing enough first episode that I want to see where it goes. I didn't actually care for the ending song all that much, someone said Sigur Ros and I got all excited, but I just wasn't feeling it and didn't get that impression at all.
I like the chord progressions and unusual dynamics in it but I think I was mainly impressed by how it matched up to the visuals, especially the bit with the crows soaring. It was almost like a weird Bond theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

It was almost like a weird Bond theme.

That was my first thought. Both the music and visuals reminded me of a classic Bond credits sequence.

• Locked thread