Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I enjoy reading the other thread to see what some people enjoy as quasi-religious experiences when it comes to tasting some foods that they will never forget. I decided there should be a version for drinks, as well.

The best drink I've ever tasted was my first time trying Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. I am a lover of boozy, hoppy beers and this one simply takes the cake. At the first sip I was surprised at just how rich a beer it was, coating my tongue like a glass of whole milk rather than beer. And the taste...it was like the most pure floral nectar I was consuming. It was drinking flowers in the best way possible.

I did my best to savor that bottle but it was so good I killed it pretty quickly. I've only had it a couple times since then, since it's expensive as hell, but it's worth it every time. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

This might sound sacrilege to some but I managed to emulate the flavor of an entire box of Nerds with Sonic soft drink flavorants.

But really, the absolute best drink I've ever had was actually a merlot:

Without question the best wine, merlot, beverage, and liquid I've ever had.

Fast Eddie
Feb 9, 2007
My wife and I were on a trip overseas, and were staying in a small German town called Kaufering. We had arrived far to early to claim our room and ended up walking around the town looking for a place to eat. What we were unaware of was that small German towns apparently shut down completely on Sunday afternoon. Nothing was open, and so we wandered aimlessly until we found a gas station. There we were finally able to get some food, and a six pack of König Ludwig Helles Lager.

After this we were finally able to get our room, and my wife fell asleep exhausted. I had a powerful need for a beer after such a long trip, and so I grabbed one of the lagers. I laid down on a separate bed to read and have a drink. I will never forget the taste of that beer. It was clean, crisp, and refreshing. That's the best way I can describe it. It was not too bitter or too malty. It was just right. It cleared out all of the stress of traveling, and before I knew it I had fallen asleep.

Best beer ever.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

For a wine, I would have to say the Opus One I had recently was probably among the best.

As far as scotch goes, I had a dram of 21 year old Laphroaig the other weekend and it was phenomenal.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Well, my favourite beer is by far Duchesse de Bourgogne and it keeps being surprisingly great, as it's surprisingly hard to get a hold of, so I don't drink it often.

Also, for a non-beer: mojito...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I don't get how anyone can stand to drink Bourgogne, stuff tastes like straight-up vinegar. At that price range I'd take a Tripel Karmeliet or even a standard Chimay Blue. But, different strokes, etc.

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I don't get how anyone can stand to drink Bourgogne, stuff tastes like straight-up vinegar. At that price range I'd take a Tripel Karmeliet or even a standard Chimay Blue. But, different strokes, etc.

The first beer I actually enjoyed was Bourgogne. I've found other beers I like, but that will always hold a special place in my heart. Also, and this may just be because I am from the land of Stone Brewing, IPAs can gently caress off and die already. I love that we've got a million breweries popping up everywhere, but I do not love that most of their beers taste like I'm chewing on a handful of hops.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

But you prefer Bourgogne, which tastes like chewing on sweaty socks?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's also my favorite beer and I can't stand sickly-sweet garbage like Chimay that tastes like carbonated milk duds.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
Not a big IPA fan, but I also enjoy me some Dogfish Head.
Best drink ever? Sazerac at Dick and Jenny's in New Orleans. Like an Old Fashioned mixed by an angel. Kind of expensive, but worth it.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
this got dumb fast.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I enjoy an ice cold Coca Cola with Vanilla on a hot day, op.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I work at a restaurant with a pretty decent wine list and a GM who likes to share. I tasted a 2009 Clos Mogador Priorat that was the most intensely structured wine I've ever had. The wine created this mental sensation of tightly-woven cloth, except with flavors and textures instead of thread. I couldn't possibly tease out and identify individual components with the brief taste I had. I can imagine spending an hour with that wine, just carefully prying apart the relationships between the tannins and the flavor components and the acidity and all the things that go into a nice wine, slowly getting a better understanding of what all was coming together to make the wine happen. I feel like I got a visceral sense of the shredded hillsides of Priorat and the philosophy of the winemaker in that taste. It has stayed with me for months.

I've had lots of enjoyable wines, a number of special and memorable wines, and just a couple which were true experiences in themselves. This was one of them. I don't think I'll ever forget it.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i thought raspberry lambic was very delicious the 2-3 times i've had it, but it doesn't have much alcohol in it, like less than beer i think. but it tastes amazing

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Christmas Miracle posted:

i thought raspberry lambic was very delicious the 2-3 times i've had it, but it doesn't have much alcohol in it, like less than beer i think. but it tastes amazing

Kriek lambic is one of my guilty pleasures. It's red beer with pink foam , and tastes like you cut your tongue with a cherry lollipop. The alcohol content down there with Swedish store-bought beer, too - but it can be fantastic when I want something a bit more refreshing.

On the non-alcoholic side, mango juice can be incredible, and some years ago I found a place that sold some Iranian imported cherry juice that was so much better than the normal tame watery stuff.

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

Jong Bruin Cafe

It's a beer that was brewed once in a limited batch by Bullfrog Brewery from Williamsport, PA earlier this year. It's an aged flemish sour brown ale brewed with black cherries and coffee. It is such a unique blend of flavors that work incredibly well together.

They have a new coffee sour available near me on tap called Rood Bruin, which I'll have to check out tonight.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
A well made cafe cubano is maybe my favorite beverage. There is a cafe in Key Biscayne near where I work sometimes and I always get very concerned looks when I refuse the plastic thimble cups and explain I am going to drink it all myself.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA.
As for non-beer, and it may be tacky, but the jalapeño margarita I had at a restaurant in San Angelo, TX. Have not been able to replicate it.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
BROOKLYN
Old Overholt Rye, Carpano Antica, Averna, maraschino rinse, up

And

BITTER SPRING
Aperol, Lillet, grapefruit, celery bitters, sparkling wine, orange twist

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.
The Highlander at barmini: scotch, mezcal, rosemary syrup, crème de cacao "air"

so smokey and good.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
Hands down, Westbrook Gose (pronounced "goes-uh")

It's a wheat beer brewed with coriander and salt. The Westbrook Gose is EXTREMELY sour and salty. It's a fantastic beer for the outdoors on a summer day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gose

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

An ice cold high life after mowing an acre of grass on a hot day.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
As much as I want to say 1. whisky 2. whiskey 3. tequila, I think in general I prefer a good ethiopian coffee. :):coffee:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
The best cocktail I've ever had is a Sazerac made at a bar called 1806 in Melbourne ( :australia: ); it was smooth and complex and fantastic and I'd happily drink a dozen of them if it wouldn't bankrupt me.

The best memory I have of a drink is when my now-wife and I first started dating many years ago it was the middle of Summer and stinking hot and we'd meet in the city on a Sunday afternoon and go to a bar that was in an abandoned carpark down an alley, it was built out of shipping containers and had pallets for furniture and we would go and sit in the shade and share longnecks of Coopers Green (a South Australian pale ale) and listen to the music that was playing and people-watch and talk all afternoon and it was such an enjoyable experience that I never minded going to work the next day with a horrendous hangover.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I forgot to mention Cornish Orchard Ginger Beer.
Haven't been able to get my hands on a bottle for a long time.
Great sharp ginger taste, tried to find something similar, but apart from some Surinam soft drink, that didn't work out well.
(I did get to drink some seriously foul ginger beers in the search, though..)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

:britain: Tea :britain:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

A barley wine my old roommate brewed years ago.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
If not Gose, a cocktail called "The Tipsy Pig."

Ingredients:

Bellemeade Bourbon
Candied Bacon
Black Walnut Bitters
Brown Sugar Simple Syrup

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Freshly squeezed pomegranate juice on a blue, dazzling summer morning on a Yerevan street.

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009
For me, this isn't just about the best drink that you have on a regular basis. Like Fast Eddie, it can be about a place and time.

For me it was wine from that classic wine growing region: Australia.

1992 Hardy's Riesling which I had on a picnic with my then-gf now wife. It was a perfect drink on a great day.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

paraquat posted:

I forgot to mention Cornish Orchard Ginger Beer.
Haven't been able to get my hands on a bottle for a long time.
Great sharp ginger taste, tried to find something similar, but apart from some Surinam soft drink, that didn't work out well.
(I did get to drink some seriously foul ginger beers in the search, though..)

That sounds pretty awesome.

I would recommend trying Maine Root Company's Ginger Brew. It's sharp and spicy and you can find it pretty easily (generally at Whole Foods). So good with bourbon or a good rum.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

JiimyPopAli posted:

For me, this isn't just about the best drink that you have on a regular basis. Like Fast Eddie, it can be about a place and time.

The six pack of Vernors left chilling in a natural spring after walking a river trail with my dad, back when I was five or six.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Homebrewed beer I made myself.

After all, I brew for my own tastes. And however hosed up they might be, I know them better than anyone else alive.

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011

El Marrow posted:

Hands down, Westbrook Gose (pronounced "goes-uh")

It's a wheat beer brewed with coriander and salt. The Westbrook Gose is EXTREMELY sour and salty. It's a fantastic beer for the outdoors on a summer day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gose

gently caress yes. I'm from Charleston (where Westbrook brewery is) and my favorite beer of all time is the Gose. Their other beers are also terrific. Sour beer in general is loving amazing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I like the posts that aren't just a drink but also set a stage.

A drink that stuck out to me was a cucumber martini I had at Muriel's in New Orleans. I had no idea a martini could hit so many taste bud buttons. I tried replicating it at home with various varieties of cucumbers and different processes, but could never get it to taste as refreshing. I've wondered how much of the experience was me and not the cocktail; maybe I was in a good mood at the time, or maybe it was the aromas coming out of the kitchen, maybe I was hungry after walking around the French Quarter during the day, who knows.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 11, 2014

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

You try using Hendricks gin?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The description of the drink on the menu mentioned hendrick's so yeah

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009
30 year old Whyte & Mackay blended Scotch whisky.
It's set the benchmark so ridiculously high for just how rich a taste a whisky can have, nothing I've had since can compare.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fresh pressed apple cider on a fall day, the kind where the air has that first hint of frost and the dusty smell of fallen leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

My girlfriend and I just got home from an awesome day at an aquarium last summer and we were preparing and cooking dinner. (We had salmon after going to the aquarium :v:) But anyway, I mixed up some kraken rum with some good ginger beer and the most delicious Dark n Stormy of my life. It was as if taking a sip of that was just a reaffirmation saying, "Yeah... This is a great day."

• Locked thread