Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I was 8, didn't give a drat about football and was at my cousin's for her 7th birthday. My aunt had had the idea that all children should design their own T-shirts, so we got handed a white shirt and a number of thick pens. I thought for a bit, then decided to make a football-themed short because why not? So I asked my father who was currently topping the league, and then wrote the name of the club in big letters on the shirt, along with a foot kicking a ball. I also wrote down "really cool", but I didn't know how to spell "cool" and wrote "coll" instead. I wore that shirt for years and became a supporter of this club that day. I still am, funny how that works sometimes.

The year was 1996, and the club Borussia Dortmund.

The first match I definitively remember is the 0-3 defeat of Germany at the hands of Croatia in the 1998 WC. I watched the game at another aunt of mine in Frankfurt and had played a little backyard match against two Croatian boys from the neighbourhood a couple of hours before along with my cousin. We got thrashed 0-13, and when we told this at home, another cousin of mine said that this was "a bad omen". She was right about that one, I guess :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

System Metternich posted:

I was 8, didn't give a drat about football and was at my cousin's for her 7th birthday. My aunt had had the idea that all children should design their own T-shirts, so we got handed a white shirt and a number of thick pens. I thought for a bit, then decided to make a football-themed short because why not? So I asked my father who was currently topping the league, and then wrote the name of the club in big letters on the shirt, along with a foot kicking a ball. I also wrote down "really cool", but I didn't know how to spell "cool" and wrote "coll" instead. I wore that shirt for years and became a supporter of this club that day. I still am, funny how that works sometimes.

The year was 1996, and the club Borussia Dortmund.

The first match I definitively remember is the 0-3 defeat of Germany at the hands of Croatia in the 1998 WC. I watched the game at another aunt of mine in Frankfurt and had played a little backyard match against two Croatian boys from the neighbourhood a couple of hours before along with my cousin. We got thrashed 0-13, and when we told this at home, another cousin of mine said that this was "a bad omen". She was right about that one, I guess :(

are you kevin grosskreutz?

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

I have some vague memories of Euro 92 and also this Ajax away kit from around that time:

World Cup 1994 is the first tournament I really actively followed, so that one will always be special. Although even back then I thought the final was poo poo.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Mambolds first cup memory is Jesus lifting the Holy Grail.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Giving the ball back to fat Ronaldo during warm-up at Inter vs Ipswich UEFA Cup. Everything before that is a blur of getting wrecked by Bergkamp, Ljungberg, Beckham, Solskjaer, Sherringham etc. Was always happy to lose to players I had traded hard for in my card collection though.

Non match related, was at the same hotel twice in a row first with the Italy national squad of '96 or '97, then the Juve squad in '00/01. Del Piero gave me a Juve shirt when I told him I'd played football on the beach at whatever the hotels name was with him a few years earlier.

Of course he didn't actually remember a little blonde 5 year old but he pretended to & I got the shirt which was worn to every 5-a-side each week until the long sleeves only reached my elbows.

and I always pick Juve in FIFA to this day :shobon:

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 12, 2014

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

bubblegumbo0 posted:

My earliest memory was Roberto Baggio doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voT5W9Doa-s

Pretty sure this is mine as well. My dumb homo dad didn't watch TV, but this was the 90s, when it wasn't cool to not watch TV, and we'd just watch VHS tapes all day which largely explains my posting. But I remember him hooking the aerial up to watch the '94 final.

First United match I watched was the '95 Cup Final, but I remember watching Football Italia before that, perhaps Inter playing someone, and thinking it was fully sick and that my dad was incredibly stupid for not watching this previously.

And that, at the age of 9, was when I became a man.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gigi Galli posted:

I was visiting relatives of my father that live in Sicily during Italia 90 and after Italy beat Ireland to get in to the semis we drove all around Palermo honking the horn in somebody's tiny fiat panda while waving flags out the windows. I mostly remember the car ride and thinking it was really warm despite it being well after dark, and dad's cousin screaming "Totó!!!! Totó!!!!" after Schillaci scored early.

Back in Ireland we had Italian ( probably the only Italians ever in Ireland at the time ) and the banter was just awesome though it may have gone overboard as after the a while as our fathers stopped talking. Good times, OP

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 12, 2014

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
First in a stadium, some Sheffield Wednesday game in 1994 or 95, Chris Waddle was playing and he would just drift past defenders despite being fat and slow as gently caress. The sounds and smells are so intense in a stadium when you're a kid. That was probably the first time I heard the word 'oval office'.

on TV, we didn't have Sky so it was limited to odd FA Cup games on the BBC and Football Italia. Everybody watched Football italia. Saw live the games where Parma's keeper got injured and a 17 year old Buffon came on and played a blinder, when Recoba stole the show on Ronaldo's debut, and when Ronadlo tore up his knee the first time.

Also used to listen to Radio 5 while doing my homework, I remember Arsenal fans ringing in and demanding "Who on earf is this Arrrrsene Wwwwenga???"

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Eau de MacGowan posted:

FA Cup Final 1994. I was in Menorca on holiday and my dad took me into a bar full of English avin it fakkin large to watch it. I was cheering for Manchester United (granddad wasnt there to forbid it), and when United scored a skinhead Chelsea fan looked me, an eight year old, square in the eye and said "You little fakkin oval office."

And to this day, I hate Chelsea more than Manchester United.

That guy was cool and he was also right!

I probably should remember Italia 90 but for some reason my earliest memory is southgates penalty miss in euro 96. Also vaguely remembering complaining about having to wear my brothers old spurs kit at pe once in the late 80s lol.

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010

Necroblashyrkh
Nov 14, 2004
hope u got :10bux: lol
I've been watching football since the Euro Cup 1988, where I'm told one of my favorite players (because of my young age back then) Marco van Basten scored an amazing goal. I don't remember it however, because my earliest football memory is the very traumatizing dislocated kneecap of (googling break) Henrik Andersen of Denmark in Euro 1992.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0-QLHxPXkM
Actually rewatching the video, it seems van Basten did that too. :gonk:

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I mentioned this in the German thread before this became a thread, but in the early '90s when my dad was the coach of our youth football team, he would always bust out his VHS tapes of Italia '90 before matches to get us pumped up. Nobody was interested or knew what was going on and we always lost horribly. Anyway, I didn't start watching football properly until USA '94.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Answers Me posted:

This was the first Premiership game I ever went to. It was awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGt8UMHxbgk
tony yeboah was too dench

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
One of my earliest club football memories is Ray Parlour scoring in the 2002 FA cup final. I could actually watch that one live on TV over here in Sweden.

I think I figures out what got me really into football between 2000 and 2002. It was CM 00/01.

Wooper fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 12, 2014

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
Definitely that grey England kit in 96.

I remember Gazza's goal but mainly I remember going out on penalties.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Italia 90 and the panini sticker album.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

tetsman posted:

Ooh now that you mention it I do remember having a France 98 panini album. I'm pretty sure the shiny CBF logo was my first sticker

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Going to see Nottingham forest playing ajax in a friendly that they won 2-0 i think with a friends dad who was a mental forest supporter. It was weird.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Watching the 1985 FA Cup Final (Man U-Everton) on Grandstand with my grandad.

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
My first vivid memory was being allowed to stay home from school to watch Ireland play Germany in the 2002 World Cup. Before that I didn't have much of an interest.

I watched it in the living room with our German au pair and you can be sure I was going loving crazy when Robbie Keane scored. I would have been about 8 I think.

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014

tetsman posted:

this but the Euro 1992 and that lovable bunny mascot

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

I went to this.

I cried.

My dad: "stop crying, there's plenty more where that came from".

Still have the scarf somewhere.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
There is always more crying when Millwall's involved.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I remember being angry at my parents for cheering too loudly when France won the World Cup in 98 but I was too young to follow the match. In 1999 I attended the German Cup semifinal between Bayern and Dortmund, but I only remember Bayern winning and me being impressed by the large crowd. I remember the penalty shootout in the 2001 Champions League Final when Kahn had one the most spectacular moments of his career. In the same year I started playing football in the local club. The first big match I fully remember is probably Germany's 8-0 thrashing of Saudi Arabia in the 2002 World Cup.

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

I'm just content to relax and drown within myself
Actual old person memory.... I was 11 when my brother flew back to San Antonio from East Texas, we went out to lunch and then headed home to catch the 1982 World Cup Final on NBC. I remember it being something "special" for NBC Sports at the time. I vaguely recall the big orange "Naranjito" mascot being shown (not sure if that is a more recent memory though) and don't really recall any of the game itself other than the result. Didn't see football again until the 1986 World Cup but I watched a LOT of it on Univision and pretty much fell in love then. Have watched football pretty regularly since then. I even think the World Cup inspired an excellent friend of mine to put together a pickup team after the '98 World Cup, we were appropriately called the Worst Team Ever and I still have my jersey to prove it, heh

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
When Sergio Aguero scored the golden goal in the 5th minute of overtime to win the EPL, and that's when I became a Man City fan for life.

Voted Alligator
Apr 13, 2005
shpoods
Going to watch my Dad play on Sundays and see him curl in some sick corners since he is leftfooted. 25 years later and my Dad is still taking sick corners but now I play on the same team as him and usually score one or two goals a season by just standing on the far post and letting him curl the ball onto my head.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
My Dad took me to see Hereford United vs Margate, google tells me it was the 01/02 season. We thumped them 3-0 and they got a red card in the second half I remember chanting 'off off off' for. I would've been 8.

I remember getting a goal for my 10th birthday and playing in the driveway with my Dad all day. Then the next year we had a 5 a side tournament on our farm.

Actually another early memory is really embarrassing, I remember crying my eyes out because I was the shittest player in our primary school (that still wanted to play for the school) to the headteacher who explained that it was really important we played the best possible team and I could be the backup goalie.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

LemonyTang posted:

My Dad took me to see Hereford United vs Margate, google tells me it was the 01/02 season. We thumped them 3-0 and they got a red card in the second half I remember chanting 'off off off' for. I would've been 8.

I remember getting a goal for my 10th birthday and playing in the driveway with my Dad all day. Then the next year we had a 5 a side tournament on our farm.

Actually another early memory is really embarrassing, I remember crying my eyes out because I was the shittest player in our primary school (that still wanted to play for the school) to the headteacher who explained that it was really important we played the best possible team and I could be the backup goalie.

That's some good stuff op.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Watched my dad play in pub leagues on Sunday, he was (still is) an incredibly dope player who could have got a lot further if he hadn't torn all his knee ligaments out one game. He took me a lot to see Leeds, I'd been to a few matches before this one, but its the first result I actually remember watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bwSYvS5Vo8

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

starksfergie posted:

Actual old person memory.... I was 11 when my brother flew back to San Antonio from East Texas, we went out to lunch and then headed home to catch the 1982 World Cup Final on NBC. I remember it being something "special" for NBC Sports at the time. I vaguely recall the big orange "Naranjito" mascot being shown (not sure if that is a more recent memory though) and don't really recall any of the game itself other than the result. Didn't see football again until the 1986 World Cup but I watched a LOT of it on Univision and pretty much fell in love then. Have watched football pretty regularly since then. I even think the World Cup inspired an excellent friend of mine to put together a pickup team after the '98 World Cup, we were appropriately called the Worst Team Ever and I still have my jersey to prove it, hehy

I think I was working during the '82 final. They would in fact, televise the final in the U.S., but with no hype at all.
In 1967 or thereabouts, some record execs wowed by the English WC of the year before decided to 'import' a version of the game to the U.S., and at first literally imported entire 2nd division sides from Scotland and, hell maybe Bolivia. They also made up some other rosters from various nations, and the players mostly couldn't communicate with each other.
Fearful of competing with NFL/AFL, they opted for a summer schedule.
The first iteration of N.A.S.L. had some matches televised, and it was really bad. TV announcer was a guy named Danny Blanchflower, and he was terrible and critical of the flow of the games, which even someone mildly interested would run from the room and never want to watch again.
That league folded, was redone a few years later. The players who were imported for N.A.S.L. v2, and who stayed after their pro careers were done, were the backbone founders of the different youth clubs in those original franchise cities.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

TV announcer was a guy named Danny Blanchflower, and he was terrible and critical of the flow of the games, which even someone mildly interested would run from the room and never want to watch again.
you do NOT get to talk poo poo about Danny Blanchflower

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

LemonyTang posted:

Actually, I do remember going to play football with a friend to some kids training sessions when I was about six or something, and they had to lend me some pair of poverty lost-and-found trainers because I didn't have any at home

I think they let me keep them on the assumption that my family must be Mexican-tier poor

I had a terrible upbringing, OP

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Mr. Mambold posted:

I think I was working during the '82 final.

holy poo poo you are old

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Played football since whenever but my first memory of the pro sport was having one of these as a toy.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I had watched games before that of course but WC 94 for sure and Bebeto's celebration made an impression on my 8 year old self.

Looks like most people here are about the same age, with some exceptions like mambold who appears to be 60 years old.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Lots of Italia 90 love itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQAzKC0hKMM

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

This is the only thing I remember about that WC.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Well, that and the Panini album for me.

The only thing I remember from '94 is that woman missing terribly at the goal and it breaking in half anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

My father was a pretty good player in his day (he used to tell me the story about him drawing the penalty that allowed his high school, Bishop Hogan, to beat Rockhurst and win the Kansas City Metro Championship in 1969) and thus wanted to make sure I played growing up--living in one of the few places in the States that was serious about soccer didn't exactly hurt, either. I remember going to the Busch Soccer Park in Fenton with my dad and my Uncle Bob in 1996 to watch St Louis U play Indiana: I still have the souvenir T-shirt (although it's a bit holey now) they gave out to everyone and it still fits: mind you, the only size they gave out was an adult medium or large, and a size M on a 7-year-old kid looked like I was wearing a bag.

I used to play penalties in my friend Ian's basement with a tiny Nerf soccer ball and the empty bottom level of a set-in shelf as our goal, with the stipulation that when he played goal he always got to be Jorge Campos and when I took them I was always either Gabi Batistuta or Dino Baggio depending on my mood.

I remember in 5th grade my father, on returning from a business trip to Scotland, giving me a special present of a silver Nike GK shirt with a cool-looking script patch and the words "MCEWAN'S LAGER" printed on the front. When I wore it playing for my school team--St Clare of Assisi--against Seven Holy Founders in a CYC City/County playoff, I then remember everyone from their team calling me "a Hun" and pushing me around for no good reason: after that game one of their coaches pulled me aside, asked me if I knew that the team's shirt I was wearing represented Rangers, a team that hadn't signed a player of our faith until the 1980s and whose fans still sang songs about killing Irish people like my mom's ancestors, and when I said no sat me down and explained the Old Firm--consequently, I never wore that shirt again to play goal, and when I got home looked up Celtic on AOL, found grainy videos of Henrik Larsson and never looked back.

There's lots of other memories I could go into, but those are the big ones that stand out.

• Locked thread