Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

He should just burn it down for the insurance.

He even mentions it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Sierra Nevadan posted:

He even mentions it.

The city inspector heavily implied he should actually do that, lol

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Plus free roasted raccoon

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Sierra Nevadan posted:

He even mentions it.

it's hard to pull off

whatever you do, don't use an accelerant. investigators will catch that poo poo every time.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Dr. Witherbone posted:

The city inspector heavily implied he should actually do that, lol

Seems like if he didn't bother fixing anything that would've inevitably happened anyways. The only question is would the fire happen before:

1) He got sick from black mold and other fun from the flooding issues
2) Part of the house collapsed and crushed him
3) He got diseased from the roof mounted raccoon latrine

Seems like with this guy 1 & 3 would happen shortly before 2 and while he lays there pinned under a mound of failure the fire would finally happen. And as the flames lick at his flesh his final vision will be looking out a shattered window into the yard now illuminated with the falling ashen embers of his dream. In that eerie flickering twilight he sees the raccoons and his girlfriend furiously cucking him, all their eyes as obsidian unfeeling voids staring back him.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 12, 2014

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Frostwerks posted:

this is the f-35 to grover's f-22

This post is loving amazing.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Sierra Nevadan posted:

He even mentions it.

He's hosed since he already had the place rewired, so any "electrical fire" would be pinned on him or the electrician who tried to fix this shithole

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Seems like it'd be cheaper (read: safer) to just tear out anything reusable, level the drat thing and start from scratch.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You should always hire a home inspector to do a thorough once over before buying any house or even condo

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

A misanthrope posted:

owning houses is for chumps

rent a nice apartment and never have to fix anything or mow a lawn

Condo, it's like owning a house but someone else fixes poo poo. My toilet was running a few months ago, I called the concierge and one of the maintenance guys came and fixed it while I was at work the next morning. Plus you get a big lawn, pool, gym, tennis court, function space, valet, 24 hour security, people to unload your car and bring your stuff up and they open the door for you.

Definitely condominium.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
He got suckered into it sure but yeah he's pretty much a victim here.

I think the upside to this is that it looks like he's going to get money help from the publicity over this and that this will result in new laws passed to better protect against this sort of thing.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Alereon posted:

he did have the place inspected, inspectors are there to find incompetence and negligence not intentionally covered-up fraud.

Home inspection is an amazing scam. Every home inspector has a contract that says, "Even if I totally gently caress up and you love everything, all I have to do is give you a refund". At some point they'll become regulated as a profession and those clauses will be abolished. Until then, all a home inspection is good for is screwing buyers as it allows the sellers to argue "He had a home inspection! They should have realized that the water and sewer lines shared a connection!" when they get sued.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Maneck posted:

Home inspection is an amazing scam. Every home inspector has a contract that says, "Even if I totally gently caress up and you love everything, all I have to do is give you a refund". At some point they'll become regulated as a profession and those clauses will be abolished. Until then, all a home inspection is good for is screwing buyers as it allows the sellers to argue "He had a home inspection! They should have realized that the water and sewer lines shared a connection!" when they get sued.

Home inspections are really useful as negotiating leverage, yeah sellers can hide serious poo poo from inspectors but for things like water heaters that need to be replaced its nice to have a document that you can take to a seller and say "This, this and this has to be fixed and it is going to cost $X, here are the comps, come off the price."

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

Condo, it's like owning a house but someone else fixes poo poo. My toilet was running a few months ago, I called the concierge and one of the maintenance guys came and fixed it while I was at work the next morning. Plus you get a big lawn, pool, gym, tennis court, function space, valet, 24 hour security, people to unload your car and bring your stuff up and they open the door for you.

Definitely condominium.
How the gently caress do people fix poo poo in a privately owned condo for free? I am getting screwed here

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

mookface posted:

How the gently caress do people fix poo poo in a privately owned condo for free? I am getting screwed here

We have two full time maintenance guys on staff 24/7, if it is something they can fix they will fix it for parts only. For stuff like plumbing the management company has full time licensed plumbers on staff, we have to pay but it is well below market because they work full time for the company. I guess it is one of the perks of living at a medium sized building that has full time staff.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
lol

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
There is a serious overuse of the word "ILLEGAL" on this page.

edit: After reading this guys OMFG page, I don't find anything in his house that troubling.

The Noble Nobbler fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 12, 2014

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
they should pass a law making it ILLEGAL to be as dumb as this guy

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Did someone say condo? Well, actually, I

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Oh look, a thread about Three Olives' condo. How novel.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
this man is a fukkin dorkshit

ReptileChillock
Jan 7, 2014

by Lowtax
That waiver thing you guys are flipping out about is fairly standard practice, I signed a similar thing when I bought my house. It's to prevent unforeseen problems and stupid bullshit from biting the seller in the rear end, otherwise there would be so many cases where the seller would get hounded for poo poo like a single cracked tile or loose carpet or something. The guys that sold this particular house used the clause in a predatory way for sure, though.

Also most condos don't have a "concierge" and are an absolute nightmare to get anything fixed in. I bet three olives pays exorbitant condo fees.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

This is a very serious issue for my friend, you can tell because I have chosen a photo that perfectly frames my shirtless pecs.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
it's hard to take stories of fraud and malfeasance in home inspections seriously unless accompanied by glistening pecs

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Whenever I buy a new home I immediately burn it down, allowing firefighters to misidentify the unfortunate hobo corpse as myself. I then look for death certificates of new born children who would have been my age and assume their identity. Then I find a nice apartment and repair my credit and save up for a nice home.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

In defense of the idiot that bought this house you do typically have to disclose anything that you KNOW that that might materially affect the value of the house, sometimes down to ghosts and deaths in the house. Seriously, ghosts.

You are shielded from things you were not aware of and couldn't reasonably expected to be aware of like disasters behind drywall but if you know the house wasn't constructed to code you have to disclose that and are liable if you don't.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The people who sold him the house disclosed none of that and they're doing great!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

This is a very serious issue for my friend, you can tell because I have chosen a photo that perfectly frames my shirtless pecs.

being honest, never met the guy in my life

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
The Raccoon Roundworm you can get just by breathing the air in a poop infested room is scary as hell

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

The Raccoon Roundworm you can get just by breathing the air in a poop infested room is scary as hell

raccoon poop is scary as poo poo

ReptileChillock
Jan 7, 2014

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

In defense of the idiot that bought this house you do typically have to disclose anything that you KNOW that that might materially affect the value of the house, sometimes down to ghosts and deaths in the house. Seriously, ghosts.

You are shielded from things you were not aware of and couldn't reasonably expected to be aware of like disasters behind drywall but if you know the house wasn't constructed to code you have to disclose that and are liable if you don't.

Guaranteed the company that sold the house are going to plead ignorance and blame it on the contractor, who probably has a "new" business every 6 months.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
I'm no legal expert but even with the waiver this guy signed the previous owners are still liable. If it's true that his realtor "coached" him in signing the waiver, and given the amount of poo poo that is wrong with this house that was not completely obvious at first blush. A judge is likely to find that the waiver is "Unconscionable" or even fraudulent and should be thrown out.

Bobatron fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 12, 2014

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

beep boop i feel no sympathy for a bankrupted fraud victim who is in over his head boop boop boop

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Three Olives posted:

the previous owner knew there were uncool ghosts in the house but didnt tell me about them and im pretty sure thats illegal

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

His face alone says everything. He looks exactly like I would expect of an idiot who would sign a waiver. Seriously the second you see that poo poo red flags should be going off.

E:

HoboZero posted:

It feels a little like blaming a rape victim, but this guy is a tremendous loving idiot who ignored all possible signs of his impending stretched rear end in a top hat. I notice that he only contacts the county inspector after he's laid his livelihood on the tracks and signed the giant "can we gently caress you with no possible recourse you dolt" form. Holy poo poo.

LoL they literally took his drink and filled it with roofies right in front of his loving face and said. "Drink this so I can rape you."

He took the glass, didn't even look at it twice and said, "Okay!" As he guzzled it down.
I really have no sympathy for him. This is the star citizen of houses. Except this is an actual frame of a house. Minus a few load bearings...

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 12, 2014

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bitchtard posted:

yeah we did this in the OSHA thread too. people think inspectors = wizard or something

not a wizard but yeah an inspector should probably be somewhat competent at inspecting things.

dude's got a hell of a case against whatever podunk agency gave the house the all clear

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 12, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
jesus loving christ

DNAmage
Oct 8, 2005

Occult Scientist
Cannot turn to attack.
He mixes biotech and sorcery with sinister results

Decebal posted:

http://web.stanford.edu/group/parasites/ParaSites2002/baylisascariasis/paraSite%20finished%20draft.html
They get into your brains. Maybe this poor dude already has them. I don't like raccoons at all.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Regardless of a 1031 transaction and waiver, this dude's attorney seems pretty lovely if he can't get a complaint for fraud filed against the person who sold the house. If anything a 1031 gives a good trail of where the assets have gone since his sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:

nerox posted:

Regardless of a 1031 transaction and waiver, this dude's attorney seems pretty lovely if he can't get a complaint for fraud filed against the person who sold the house. If anything a 1031 gives a good trail of where the assets have gone since his sale.

Seriously this seems like a pretty obvious case of Fraud. There must be more going on or his lawyer is just bad.

• Locked thread