Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Good songs on Polka Party:
- Living with a Hernia
- Dog Eat Dog
- Christmas at Ground Zero
- maybe Addicted to Spuds
- Polka Party

Good songs on Off the Deep End:
- Smells like Nirvana
- Trigger Happy
- I Can't Watch This
- When I Was Your Age
- Taco Grande
- You Don't Love Me Anymore
- Polka Your Eyes Out

Advantage: Off the Deep End

EDIT: Trigger Happy, Smells Like Nirvana, Taco Grande and You Don't Love Me Anymore are four of his best songs.

However, I am listening to Running With Scissors right now and I think that it and Dare to be Stupid are his best. Truth.

Someone forgot Toothless People. And I could live my entire life without ever hearing Trigger Happy, Smells Like Nirvana, or Taco Grande again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Good songs on Polka Party:
- Living with a Hernia
- Dog Eat Dog
- Christmas at Ground Zero
- maybe Addicted to Spuds
- Polka Party

Good songs on Off the Deep End:
- Smells like Nirvana
- Trigger Happy
- I Can't Watch This
- When I Was Your Age
- Taco Grande
- You Don't Love Me Anymore
- Polka Your Eyes Out

Advantage: Off the Deep End

EDIT: Trigger Happy, Smells Like Nirvana, Taco Grande and You Don't Love Me Anymore are four of his best songs.

However, I am listening to Running With Scissors right now and I think that it and Dare to be Stupid are his best. Truth.

When listing top tracks from an Al album, the "the time in music since the last album summed up in a polka" always seems to make it, has he ever done a weak one? Maybe Polka Face from Alpocalypse, but I've seen it said that it might be more down to that being a really unmemorable time in music, where Lady Gaga might have been pretty much the only act of real interest out there.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm surprised Al fans can rate his albums or songs. They're all good to me.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

BigFactory posted:

Someone forgot Toothless People. And I could live my entire life without ever hearing Trigger Happy, Smells Like Nirvana, or Taco Grande again.

Pffffft sorry that you don't appreciate the brilliance of Trigger Happy.

The polkas that are mediocre are... the one I just listened to for the first time from the UHF soundtrack and Bohemian Polka. If Bohemian Polka had been a polka medley of Led Zeppelin songs like Al originally wanted, it may have been awesome. But either Jimmy Page or Robert Plant was a dick and said no. The best polkas are definitely The Alternative Polka, Angry White Boy Polka and Hooked on Polkas.

My dad erased Polka Your Eyes Out off of our cassette tape of Off the Deep End because my 6-year old self kept going around singing "Do me baby!" :laugh:

EDIT: I forgot Polkamon. That one rules.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 30, 2014

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
I'm biased because I came of age/started paying attention to music around the Even Worse/Off The Deep End era so I never truly discovered things like In 3D or Polka Party as whole albums until adulthood when I dove into his back catalog more. I knew the high water marks like Eat it and such other things but not the other album tracks, etc. So for me his high point was Bad Hair Day, which I memorized and to this day sing along every word of, and Running With Scissors. Those are also the two of his albums I still have on CD, with the rest being mp3. But I guess it is hard to say any of them are "bad" because they're not, and usually all of them have gems even if that was a weaker era of music with less parody fodder to pick from. I even liked Poodle Hat which is seen as somewhat weak by some also, if only for eBay and Angry White Boy Polka.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

VH4Ever posted:

I even liked Poodle Hat which is seen as somewhat weak by some also, if only for eBay and Angry White Boy Polka.

Why Does This Always Happen To Me, dude :colbert:

radlum
May 13, 2013

SwissCM posted:

Why Does This Always Happen To Me, dude :colbert:

This. I love that song, specially because an actual earthquake in Peru interrupted an episode of The Simpsons that I was watching (I live in Peru)

Also, Hardware Store is amazing and the song parodies are also pretty good.
I started listening Weird Al when I was in high school so everything after Running With Scissors has a special place for me.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Hardware Store is not only one of the best songs on Poodle Hat, it's one of Weird Al's best songs period.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

weirdojace posted:

Hardware Store is not only one of the best songs on Poodle Hat, it's one of Weird Al's best songs period.
He sometimes refers to that song as having been rewritten, originally intended as a style parody that didn't work. Has he ever revealed what it was "supposed" to be?

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Yeah. Presidents of the United States of America.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Are there any CS&N songs that can be recommended that are like the last section of Mission Statement? I absolutely love that bit of the song.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Athletic Footjob posted:

Are there any CS&N songs that can be recommended that are like the last section of Mission Statement? I absolutely love that bit of the song.

Suite Judy Blue Eyes.

It's also probably the one song that Al used as a base for Mission Statement.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ayn rand hand job posted:

Suite Judy Blue Eyes.

It's also probably the one song that Al used as a base for Mission Statement.

There's some Carry On in there too.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Yeah it's basically 2 CSN songs mashed together. The First half is Carry On from Deja Vu and the last bit is from Suite: Judy Blue Eyes from their self titled debut.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BizarroAzrael posted:

When listing top tracks from an Al album, the "the time in music since the last album summed up in a polka" always seems to make it, has he ever done a weak one? Maybe Polka Face from Alpocalypse, but I've seen it said that it might be more down to that being a really unmemorable time in music, where Lady Gaga might have been pretty much the only act of real interest out there.

I'd say the weakest (but still awesome) one is from Alapalooza. It's just Bohemian Rhapsody sung to polka music.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think the polkas, more so than any of the other parodies or style songs, really depend on being into the music itself at the time. Some of the polkas from his 80s CDs I'm just not familiar with the music of that era. I mean yeah I know about the Knacks and loving Madonna but I really don't know about 80s Hair Band #32 that is in the polka.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think the polkas, more so than any of the other parodies or style songs, really depend on being into the music itself at the time. Some of the polkas from his 80s CDs I'm just not familiar with the music of that era. I mean yeah I know about the Knacks and loving Madonna but I really don't know about 80s Hair Band #32 that is in the polka.

I really like Angry White Boy Polka for pretty much this reason, it was all the stuff I was listening to in college when I was first properly becoming aware of music beyond pop.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Angry White Boy Polka is great for a variety of reasons, one of which being that he picked the songs based on a specific theme. That and it kind of says something about early 2000's pop music since for some reason there was a plethora of angsty white boy rock on the radio in those days. AKA the poo poo my friends listened to in high school

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Angry White Boy Polka is great for a variety of reasons, one of which being that he picked the songs based on a specific theme. That and it kind of says something about early 2000's pop music since for some reason there was a plethora of angsty white boy rock on the radio in those days. AKA the poo poo my friends listened to in high school

See also: The Alternative Polka.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Semi on topic but I just watched UHF for the first time and I laughed throughout the entire movie. If you haven't watched UHF, do it immediately.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scGtAjNYbBc

This is piles of funny, but starting at 4:00 he starts playing songs with the touch tone.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 4, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Angry White Boy Polka is pretty much the most hilarious treatment one could ever make to Papa Roach. I'm still convinced they're a deep cover parody of angry white boys themselves (I mean, seriously, they had a song where the chorus was literally "I just wanna be loved"; they're like Simple Plan that way).

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Egbert Souse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scGtAjNYbBc

This is piles of funny, but starting at 4:00 he starts playing songs with the touch tone.

Haha this is nice.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

TinTower posted:

Angry White Boy Polka is pretty much the most hilarious treatment one could ever make to Papa Roach. I'm still convinced they're a deep cover parody of angry white boys themselves (I mean, seriously, they had a song where the chorus was literally "I just wanna be loved"; they're like Simple Plan that way).

Speaking of Papa Roach:
http://music.thetalkhouse.com/talks/marissa-paternoster-screaming-females-talks-papa-roach-and/

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Didn't a very similar thing happen in Leprechaun: In the Hood?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I loving lost it at Inactive. I've become so incredibly tired of the original song, but oh my God I just couldn't stop laughing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There's some buzz in the local news to get Al as the halftime show for Super Bowl XLIX. I might actually try to go if he's doing the show.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's some buzz in the local news to get Al as the halftime show for Super Bowl XLIX. I might actually try to go if he's doing the show.

You realize that the Super Bowl halftime show is about 12 minutes long and a ticket costs 300 times as much as a weird al concert, right?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BigFactory posted:

You realize that the Super Bowl halftime show is about 12 minutes long and a ticket costs 300 times as much as a weird al concert, right?

You don't know anything about being a fan.

You're right though, it'd be silly to pay full price just for 10 minutes, but if I had a chance to grab free tickets or something, it'd be an exciting and unique experience as a whole.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You don't know anything about being a fan.

You're right though, it'd be silly to pay full price just for 10 minutes, but if I had a chance to grab free tickets or something, it'd be an exciting and unique experience as a whole.

Going to the super bowl costs thousands of dollars and it's still better on tv.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Super Bowl musical acts are often forced to pre-record their music or lip sync the vocals. Red Hot Chili Peppers gave so little of a gently caress that they didn't even bother trying to do chords on their guitar and bass when they performed earlier this year.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I would imagine there's been even more stringent rules put in place since the 'wardrobe malfunction'.

Still, seeing sports song in front of that many people, and I'm sure the show would be spectacular no matter what. It's not like al does a ton of 'blue' humor (although there's some in there if you're looking for it, 'the time you made it with a whole hockey team' comes to mind), so who knows what exactly he would come up with.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Petition has 69k signatures:

http://www.change.org/petitions/nfl-have-weird-al-yankovic-headline-the-super-bowl-xlix-halftime-show

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I would imagine there's been even more stringent rules put in place since the 'wardrobe malfunction'.

Still, seeing sports song in front of that many people, and I'm sure the show would be spectacular no matter what. It's not like al does a ton of 'blue' humor (although there's some in there if you're looking for it, 'the time you made it with a whole hockey team' comes to mind), so who knows what exactly he would come up with.

It's not all about the wardrobe malfunction. It has a lot to do with sound quality and all that. Basically, it's next to impossible to get a good sound setup for the halftime show if the music wasn't prerecorded. When the Boss played the Superbowl, there was controversy over the fact that he was singing live to prerecorded music, and his attitude was that if they did it live, it would have sounded terrible since they wouldn't have time to get the setup right to sound good in a stadium.

But I doubt we'll see Weird Al at the superbowl. It would be just a bizarre thing to see. It wouldn't really match.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I'd rather see him do something like host Saturday Night Live this season. Host + musical guest would be even more amazing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Masonic Youth posted:

I'd rather see him do something like host Saturday Night Live this season. Host + musical guest would be even more amazing.

This really needs to happen.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Cemetry Gator posted:

But I doubt we'll see Weird Al at the superbowl. It would be just a bizarre thing to see. It wouldn't really match.

You might even say...it would be weird.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I agree with the notion that Weird Al would be better as the SNL host and musical guest than a Superbowl Halftime Show performer.

I mean, I would love seeing him at the Super Bowl, but I've been an openly proud fan of Weird Al since I was a kid. At the last concert I went to (Pointfest in St. Louis), I was rockin' my Alpocalypse T-shirt, to the delight of a few other concertgoers who considered me "brave" for wearing it for some reason. And, I was in a band for years with a closet Weird Al fan.

But he's a comedy guy, and I'm not sure the overall reaction that would get from the audience, both at the venue and at home, would be positive. They tend to lean toward more popular music; lightweight rock to dance pop to R&B and that sort of thing. Besides, one of the things that makes Weird Al's live shows great is the fact that he's got more than just tiny little bit of time to do it--there are costume changes, video clips, and so on. He puts on a hell of a show, but I'm not sure it's right for the Halftime Show.

SNL, though? I could sit through an entire Weird Al episode.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Thanks for the 10 page Weird Al topic you retards

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

He deserves it. Long live Weird Al.

• Locked thread