Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

kefkafloyd posted:

It's bound to happen in a language as broadly used as English.

Do they still call cigarettes "fags" in Britain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Only stupid people.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

Everyone should take the time to listen to the original "Fancy" if they have them time. Overall the song isn't really that bad, the rapping is for once actually kinda good and it has a nice beat going but the lyrics. The loving lyrics. :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-zpOMYRi0w

Iggy Azalea is one of the worst rappers in the history of rap. Maybe THE worst one. Like, I'd rather listen to Chuggo than her.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

TheJoker138 posted:

Iggy Azalea is one of the worst rappers in the history of rap. Maybe THE worst one. Like, I'd rather listen to Chuggo than her.

Her album's fuckin' garbage and she's livin' a lie.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah the only good part of that song is the chorus, which is Charli XCX and not Iggy Azalea at all.

On a Weird Al-related note, I really love this album. I also love the fact that it's made me go back and listen to all the Weird Al music I first heard, or didn't hear, when I was growing up. Awesome and hilarious, even more than I remember.

Never die, Weird Al.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Iggy Azalea is a dumb racist piece of garbage. The production values in the Handy video were really cute though.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I like how all the animated tools (and even his swollen thumb) move in sync with the bass line. The one ripped off of Yazoo.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJXX3A_6nbo

Al was just on Fox News having to explain the concept of "making money using the internet" and realizing he's the only one in the room who isn't an idiot. It's hilarious.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

weirdojace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJXX3A_6nbo

Al was just on Fox News having to explain the concept of "making money using the internet" and realizing he's the only one in the room who isn't an idiot. It's hilarious.

Possibly the most uncomfortable interview.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Naet posted:

Possibly the most uncomfortable interview.

You'd be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
This is the most uncomfortable interview with Weird Al.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFcuP8-Me_A

Dudes just start mocking his parents' death right to his face and he gets really choked up. It's terrible.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

weirdojace posted:

Dudes just start mocking his parents' death right to his face and he gets really choked up. It's terrible.

He has nerves of steel. He did a concert the same day, then thanked fans on his website while pleading for carbon monoxide detector safety. You don't get many artistic geniuses that aren't sociopaths.

I love how his 1999 concert video started with his parents introducing him, though. It's hilarious and sweet at the same time.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

weirdojace posted:

Wow, this guy is a terrible interviewer. He spends a lot of time talking about himself, ask Al a bunch of really stupid and lightweight questions, and then...

"So, tell me about your parents' death and how that impacted your work."

Edit: "I feel bad for bringing it up," so LET'S KEEP TALKING ABOUT IT! It's like that loving Fawlty Towers episode with the Germans, except not funny.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 18, 2014

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wow, this guy is a terrible interviewer. He spends a lot of time talking about himself, ask Al a bunch of really stupid and lightweight questions, and then...

"So, tell me about your parents' death and how that impacted your work."

Edit: "I feel bad for bringing it up," so LET'S KEEP TALKING ABOUT IT! It's like that loving Fawlty Towers episode with the Germans, except not funny.

What pisses me off more is that these guys are considered "shock jocks" so pissing off guests and people gets ratings and more attention to the show (and thus their advertisers) so everyone wins when fans get enraged. When this was linked in a previous Al thread around the time Alpocalpyse was out Goons flooded the station with calls telling them that based on the lovely behavior of the "shock jocks" they were boycotting the show and all affiliated advertisers. The jocks of course replied by calling us all fat neckbearded basement-dwelling "Goonies" as if that could hurt us...

quote:

I don't think that actually is the joke. It'd be nice if it were though.

While not the whole joke of the song, Al admitted in an interview that he purposely left a split infinitive in Word Crimes so that Grammar Nazis would go apeshit in the YouTube comments and blogoverse, because it would be funny. So he realizes how anal-retentive grammarians are, too, it's all in good fun.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Crazy Dastard posted:

While not the whole joke of the song, Al admitted in an interview that he purposely left a split infinitive in Word Crimes so that Grammar Nazis would go apeshit in the YouTube comments and blogoverse, because it would be funny. So he realizes how anal-retentive grammarians are, too, it's all in good fun.

Plus, true Grammar Nazis know that the split infinitive is perfectly fine. It's just some nonsense that someone came up with to make our language more like Latin!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Al tweeted that he's gonna be performing Tacky on Conan tonight :dance:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The Handy video is pretty sub-par. The original song is junk and Al's parody isn't particularly clever. Foil is the definite winner of the newest batch of videos, at least so far.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
Oops, posted this in GBS. gently caress that.

Jesus H. Christ, Al's performance on Conan was amazing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Cemetry Gator posted:

Plus, true Grammar Nazis know that the split infinitive is perfectly fine. It's just some nonsense that someone came up with to make our language more like Latin!

Today I learned what a split infinitive was and also that I can relax because after looking up examples I'm sitting here going "wait, am I missing something here? I can't see a problem with these sentences".

In the meantime I also have come to the realization that these days I would say I recognize maybe 1 of the songs Al is parodying on his albums. Now I am not all high and mighty in my music choices either it's just that a lot of the time the songs he chooses are songs that fall into a genre that I don't typically spend a lot of time listening to, such as Fancy. I'm sorry but Rap and Hip Hop are not my cup of tea and while I do not tell people to "turn that poo poo off" if they are playing it when I am around I will not listen to it in the comfort of my home or any other private place that I have complete control over my music choices.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Here's Al's Conan performance: http://teamcoco.com/video/weird-al-yankovic-07-17-14

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

TinTower posted:

Her album's fuckin' garbage and she's livin' a lie.

AHHHH! C'mon fuckin' guy!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Wow that was really cool. I wonder how weird it was to be in the audience during this.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

:vince:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Previa_fun posted:

lol :)

Cemetry Gator posted:

Truth

radlum
May 13, 2013
The video for Handy was OK, not as clever as Word Crimes, but it was good. Also, it helps make a terrible song much more enjoyable (my favorit thing about Weird Al's parodies)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It's the dumbest thing to get mad about.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm impressed the camera man was able to navigate down those steps walking backwards.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Video for "Sports Song" is up:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/ba6f6b020a/weird-al-yankovic-sports-song

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Word Crimes is my favorite video because those dancing punctuations are adorable. :3:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Well, that was a music video.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Decent song and video, but he still hasn't topped Tacky and Word Crimes.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Word Crimes is a very good song and the video is straight brilliance. Sports Song has a funny premise that he quickly runs into the grounds. I really like the story line on Foil plus it's a really good sendup.

Anyway, I made this from Word Crimes for...future usage:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Could you do one for "You're a Lost Cause"? I keep cracking up at that part of the video.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

BigRed0427 posted:

Could you do one for "You're a Lost Cause"? I keep cracking up at that part of the video.

Sure. Gooncam is a relly nice piece of software FYI. A big improvement on Gifcam.

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003
Apostrophe in abc's. Nice touch.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I really want a video for NOW That's What I Call Polka! in the animated style he used for Polka Face.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wasn't expecting him to do one for Sports Song. I love the song, but I'm not sure it translates that well to video form. It's really short and there wasn't much done with the concept in the video. I can't imagine this one getting a million hits in a day or whatever.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wasn't expecting him to do one for Sports Song. I love the song, but I'm not sure it translates that well to video form. It's really short and there wasn't much done with the concept in the video. I can't imagine this one getting a million hits in a day or whatever.

I would love it if Al performed Sports Song at the Superbowl.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 18, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I would love it if Al performed Sports Song at the Superbowl.
Yeah, now that would have seriously owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Isn't there a perennial "Get Weird Al to the Super Bowl" change.org petition? I remember it doing the rounds a few years ago.

• Locked thread