Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
So I bought myself a 95 Honda Civic LX for 650. Needed a new engine so I bought one from a salvage yard for 500. This thread is to document the mess I am invariably going to make of this nice little car.

First pic is the car in my garage:

Second Pic is the engine bay:

Third pic is the front left frame damage:

Sorry mods I don't post much. Can you change the tag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
It has character

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
As she sits right now. Draining fluids...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That engine bay is clean as hell.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

How the hell is an engine bay that clean containing a blown motor.

Congrats on the car, please junkyard build it up to like showroom condition.

Or do some stupid poo poo with honda legos and turbos.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Looking forward to this thread, makes me want to start another Honda project.

Needs a front bumper from a coupe/hatch, I never liked the sedan front bumper.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Strawberry posted:

Looking forward to this thread, makes me want to start another Honda project.

Needs a front bumper from a coupe/hatch, I never liked the sedan front bumper.

I'll check into the bumper and see if I can find one since I think they look better as well. I should get the new motor monday and I'll start work on replacing seals and gaskets as well as moving parts from the old engine to the new.

I'm excited to get into it.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Slow is Fast posted:

How the hell is an engine bay that clean containing a blown motor.

This poo poo right here. I think we want an explanation on why this motor is bad enough to warrant a swap.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

MRC48B posted:

This poo poo right here. I think we want an explanation on why this motor is bad enough to warrant a swap.

I'll get a good pic of it when I take the exhaust manifold off but basically the bottom mounting bracket of the third piston from the left is sticking out the front of the engine. drat thing still runs, drove it into the garage.

Senior Funkenstien fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 13, 2014

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Yep looks like a hole to me.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014
jeebus thats a hole

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Funkenstien posted:

It has character

Jesus, Honda really did uses the cheapest steel they could find for every drat hood they pressed.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rhyno posted:

Jesus, Honda really did uses the cheapest steel they could find for every drat hood they pressed.

My favorite part about banging my head on my cars hood is making sure it didn't dent the thing.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Got the new engine today finally. Time to start working on some gasket replacements and the timing belt and water pump.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Got the new engine today finally. Time to start working on some gasket replacements and the timing belt and water pump.

Which engine did you go with? I can't tel from the fuzziness but that looks like the non vtec valve cover.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah its the D15B7 non-vtec. Looking for really good gas mileage more than anything.

Edit: gently caress! This crankshaft pulley bolt doesn't want to move. I think I broke my wrench on it.

Senior Funkenstien fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 15, 2014

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
go rent the crankshaft pulley holder tool. Then get some long breaker bars. Or long pipes to go over breaker bars. and be prepared to fight. If that's anything like the ones I have done its going to be a bitch

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Yeah its the D15B7 non-vtec. Looking for really good gas mileage more than anything.

Edit: gently caress! This crankshaft pulley bolt doesn't want to move. I think I broke my wrench on it.

I had that exact car (with whatever engine came standard in the LX) until it rusted out from under me a year ago. Gave me 34 mpg average over the 4 years I bothered tracking it, and I was not nice to the gas pedal. You should be pleased once it's together.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Where do you live (you can be vague if you like)? I had a lot of trouble finding parts in NE Indiana so I just settled on Ebaying everything.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Rhino there are literally thousands of your civic in Chicago's junk yards you just didn't want to drive.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Where do you live (you can be vague if you like)? I had a lot of trouble finding parts in NE Indiana so I just settled on Ebaying everything.

I live in metro Atlanta on the south side. Plenty of places to get parts. I'm thinking I need some penetrating oil for that bolt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SouthsideSaint posted:

Rhino there are literally thousands of your civic in Chicago's junk yards you just didn't want to drive.

Drive 3 hours one way for parts for a stupid project? I don't think so.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Drive 3 hours one way for parts for a stupid project? I don't think so.

I'm lucky in that regard. My local salvage yard is about a mile and a half away and they got a car I can use for parts too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm lucky in that regard. My local salvage yard is about a mile and a half away and they got a car I can use for parts too.

There's 4 yards here, I lucked out on a door and some interior bits but most of the vtec motors were picked clean.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I live in metro Atlanta on the south side. Plenty of places to get parts. I'm thinking I need some penetrating oil for that bolt.

Hit it with some Aerokroil, give it a few good smacks with a hammer or hammer-like device, then come back in a day. She'll let go. Don't forget your cheater pipe.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

SouthsideSaint posted:

go rent the crankshaft pulley holder tool. Then get some long breaker bars. Or long pipes to go over breaker bars. and be prepared to fight. If that's anything like the ones I have done its going to be a bitch

Yeah it's torqued to about a billion ft/lbs. 8 ft cheater bar will be your friend, or an impact wrench.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Finally got it off after getting a breaker bar and jumping up and down on it. Also got the radiator out of the car. Getting a little bit closer...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Replace the crank and cam seals while you have it out; it will never be this easy again.

Just don't drive the rear main in too far like I did on my Protege, and have to pull the motor back out to fix it when it starts leaking on first startup.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Fucknag posted:

Replace the crank and cam seals while you have it out; it will never be this easy again.

Just don't drive the rear main in too far like I did on my Protege, and have to pull the motor back out to fix it when it starts leaking on first startup.

Yeah I've got all the seals and gaskets I can replace handy for this. At this pace I may be able to drop the new engine in this weekend.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I'm doing a timing belt and water pump replacement on the new engine. How exact do you need to be with the pulley markings? The crankshaft notch and arrow are off just a tiny bit but the up and the two lines on the side of the top pulley seem spot on.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
how many times have you hand spun it to check that it will stay lined up? because this will often let you know that you don't really have it timed correctly

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

SouthsideSaint posted:

how many times have you hand spun it to check that it will stay lined up? because this will often let you know that you don't really have it timed correctly

I spun it a couple times to check. It looks good to me especially after taking a picture of it. I think I may have been just looking at it at an odd angle.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
then you should be ok. If your still iffy spin it like five more times just to be sure. I mean Honda motors are everywhere but it sucks to pull any motor you just put in.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Marred the gently caress out of the new camshaft seal so my timing belt job is on hold till I get another one tomorrow. Hopefully the new one will fit better. It looks like the camshaft seal was leaking so everything under the timing belt cover is covered in oil.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Got the new camshaft seal in and hopefully seated correctly. Used a little rtv on the gasket for the water pump and got it installed as well.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Disconnected everything from the engine. Now for the hard part of getting the motor mounts off and disconnecting everything from the transmission.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Disconnected everything from the engine. Now for the hard part of getting the motor mounts off and disconnecting everything from the transmission.

I like to think you and Rhyno are racing to see who finishes first.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timmy Cruise posted:

I like to think you and Rhyno are racing to see who finishes first.

Well the difference is he's trying to make his into a reliable DD. I'm trying to ruin mine.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Well the difference is he's trying to make his into a reliable DD. I'm trying to ruin mine.

The outcome might be the same!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Question for you guys. In my work taking all the hoses attached to the engine off to get it ready to come out I noticed the heater core was not hooked up to anything. It looks like it was bypassed. Is there any particular reason to do that?

• Locked thread