Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Leaky heater core and P.O. didn't want to deal with it? That's the usual reason for bypassing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, if you can live without a heater and it leaks, you bypass/block it rather than having to dig into a full dashboard-out nightmare.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks guys. It's gonna stay bypassed. I rarely use it and it can get fixed before next winter.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Question for you guys. In my work taking all the hoses attached to the engine off to get it ready to come out I noticed the heater core was not hooked up to anything. It looks like it was bypassed. Is there any particular reason to do that?

Yeah, it's probably leaking and the PO was too lazy to change it, looks like you're ordering a core.
E:f,b.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
On my Accord the AC evaporator had to be removed before the box that contains the heater core. Is the Civic like that? That might be something to plan around.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Gee, EJ civic? Bad heatercore?
Enjoy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2053155

My poor civic is still sitting off my driveway, slowly sinking into the gravel. I bought a house and basically didn't have time or inclination to work on it. It's been sitting since '08, and I've been half-heartedly trying to part it out. I hope your fix-it-up project goes well.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

sharkytm posted:

Gee, EJ civic? Bad heatercore?
Enjoy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2053155

My poor civic is still sitting off my driveway, slowly sinking into the gravel. I bought a house and basically didn't have time or inclination to work on it. It's been sitting since '08, and I've been half-heartedly trying to part it out. I hope your fix-it-up project goes well.

Well if you have any usefull parts still to sell let me know and I'll probably take em off your hands.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Alright guys, I'm stuck. I'm looking at the end of the shifter cable where its attached to the transmission. I think maybe I'm searching for the answer wrong or something. Here's a pic of what I'm looking at. How do I get that off?

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I've found the answer but none of my wrenches or sockets fit the bolt. Guess I'll have to try the adjustable wrench.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Looks like somethings actually getting done now!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Good job dude. I got the head off mine tonight. Civic Progress all around!

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Remove those heater core hoses while you have room. They somehow bond in place and are a nightmare to get off.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Got the Transmission out finally.

Time to tackle that flywheel...

Senior Funkenstien fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 23, 2014

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
The flywheel has me beat for the night. Rounded one bolt trying to get it out and tried a few others with no luck. Is there some trick to this?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
buy the HF 1/2" electric impact and corresponding size socket. Then use a screwdriver to provide restance. step 2 ????? step 3 PROFIT!!!!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah you're gonna want an impact for that.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
It figures I'd get this far with hand tools and then need the big guns right near the end. At least the HF one isnt too expensive.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Remove spark plug, place cylinder at bottom dead center right before the compression stroke, feed in rope (as much as the cylinder will hold), turn crank til it bottoms out on rope, push motor on it's side so you can step on it. This will lock the crank so it won't spin.

Using the correct socket, with a breaker bar, slip a jack handle over it and go to town. This is how I do it with one person and no impact.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

mafoose posted:

Remove spark plug, place cylinder at bottom dead center right before the compression stroke, feed in rope (as much as the cylinder will hold), turn crank til it bottoms out on rope, push motor on it's side so you can step on it. This will lock the crank so it won't spin.

Using the correct socket, with a breaker bar, slip a jack handle over it and go to town. This is how I do it with one person and no impact.

Yeah.....just get an impact.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I had to remove the crank pulley & flywheel bolts on the Protege's new motor with hand tools while hanging from an engine hoist (so bracing was difficult.)

Yeah, I'm getting an impact before I ever do that again.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I take it you've never had to do an engine/flywheel/whatever swap that needed to be done, and it was after hours when you realized you needed that one tool to finish?

Yea, you make it work.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, obviously, you do what you need to do in that case. But I wouldn't do it that way by choice.

murkdotdoc
Oct 26, 2005
I love this. It's my exact first car, d15b7 and all. I swapped in a D15B from hmotorsonline.com (which I just saw the site is exactly the same as it was 12 years ago) and that baby screamed in a 130hp Honda kind of way.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

mafoose posted:

I'm fairly certain this only works with engines currently in possession of their heads. Which OP took off already.

E: gently caress. I guess that's what I get for reading both clapped out civic threads at the same time.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
You do go counterclockwise on these flywheel bolts right? Cause they ain't budging with an impact driver.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If they have threadlock on them, heat will help break it down.

Shouldn't stop you getting them off, though. They shouldn't be that tight.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

InitialDave posted:

If they have threadlock on them, heat will help break it down.

Shouldn't stop you getting them off, though. They shouldn't be that tight.

The impact gun struggled to get em loose. One is rounded off now though. Gonna have to do some dremel work or something on it.

Senior Funkenstien fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 24, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

12 point bolts? On a high-torque application? Is that remotely normal?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Yes.
Both OEM and aftermarket (look at ARP stuff).

Weld a nut on the end. Do you need that flywheel? If not, grind the head off with a grinder, not a dremel, it should spin right off with no torque on it.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

mafoose posted:

Yes.
Both OEM and aftermarket (look at ARP stuff).

Weld a nut on the end. Do you need that flywheel? If not, grind the head off with a grinder, not a dremel, it should spin right off with no torque on it.

I have the flywheel on the broken engine I can use and I have access to an angle grinder......

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Make sure you use loctite and torque them to spec. Seems someone probably impacted the on before.

Also try removing the old one first before you ruin this one.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

mafoose posted:

Make sure you use loctite and torque them to spec. Seems someone probably impacted the on before.

Also try removing the old one first before you ruin this one.

Of course. I'll take the old one(newer) off first before I go nuts with the angle grinder.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks to all you guys! I wouldn't have gotten this far without your help.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Took the angle grinder to it. of course the flywheel on the engine thats getting replaced all came off without breaking a sweat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fucknag posted:

12pts will let you drive with more torque than a 6pt for any given head size.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Where's the shot of you standing in it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

It's a Honda, nothing about it is high torque. :v:

Head bolts are usually 12-point too in my experience.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's a Honda, nothing about it is high torque. :v:

Head bolts are usually 12-point too in my experience.

My protege has hex for the flywheel and Allen bolts for the head. v:shobon:v

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Here's where it sits tonight. New rear main seals, new valve cover gaskets, new oil pan gaskets, new transmission shaft seal and new spark plugs. Anyone got advice for getting the trans to mate up to the engine right? I get it to about an inch away and it doesnt want to slide in the rest of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

With Subaru's at least it's usually a good idea to use a breaker bar to rotate the crank as you throw on the trans to help line up the splines, might help if that's what you're running in to

• Locked thread