Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

The definitive working class band, AC/DC (aka Acca Dacca, The Thunder from Down Under) has been unlike any other rock band for -50- years now. They've never changed their style (hard rock, not metal as some say, though the band calls it just good ol' rock & roll), shy away from celebrity, and understand that people just want to hear the hits, get drunk, and get laid.

Members

Angus Young

The image of the band, and the only permanent member (see Stevie Young bio below), Angus is the dwarfish, mumbling, chain-smoking lead guitarist known for his mean, blues-influenced style, school uniform, and hyperactive stage antics. He never stops moving, and looks as though he's been hypnotized by the music. He's said that when he bends a note, his whole body bends. His climactic spasm came to be when he tripped over a cable (less of a problem nowadays, as he's used a wireless system since 1977) and tried to cover it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcGAScb_woY

Malcolm Young (1953 - 2017 :()

The founder of the band, and rhythm guitarist, known for his hard, grinding chords (having been inspired by the sounds of machinery during his factory work days). He calls the shots, looks like he's never washed or cut his hair, and relies on an old 1960's Gretsch Jet Firebird (though he's occasionally played a Gretsch White Falcon as well).

Brian Johnson

The lead vocalist since 1980 (also on lyric duty until 1988), known for his gut-wrenching screaming, strong Northern England accent, and flat cap. He's the de facto spokesman of the band, always cheerful, and a bit mischievous. Originally with the English band Geordie, he loves cars, especially vintage racing cars.

Cliff Williams

Bass guitarist since 1977. Tallest member of the band, and second most talkative after Brian, whom he sometimes gets together with for one-off or charity shows (they both live in Florida). Appears to have been wearing the same kind of jeans since the '70s.

Phil Rudd

Drummer from 1975 to 1983, and again from 1994 to now. Nicknamed The Terminator and known for his simple, machine-like groove, he's the tough guy of the band. Likes fast cars and helicopters, smokes while drumming, and has been known to do drugs.

Stevie Young

Angus and Malcolm's nephew. Previously filled in for Malcolm on the North American leg of the 1988 Blow Up Your Video tour while he was in alcoholic rehab. Permanently replaced Malcolm in 2014. Little offstage presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boE9zXbxOf4

Notable past members

Bon Scott

Poet, ladies man, boozehound, legend. Life was a party to him, but the party couldn't last forever. Died in 1980 in a freezing car from alcohol poisoning (him choking on his vomit is a myth).

Dave Evans

AC/DC's original singer. Replaced by their bus driver Bon in October 1974. Never appeared on an album.

Mark Evans

Bass player from 1975 to 1977. No relation to Dave. Replaced by Cliff during the Let There Be Rock tour for several reasons, one of them Mal wanting somebody who could do better backing vocals.

Simon Wright

Drummer from 1983 to 1988. Replaced Phil who was fired by Mal after recording Flick Of The Switch for erratic behavior related to drug use.

Chris Slade

Drummer from 1989 to 1993. Hired after Simon left the band to join Dio.

Selected discography

First single (with Dave Evans) - Can I Sit Next To You Girl/Rockin' In The Parlour

High Voltage

T.N.T.

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Let There Be Rock

Powerage

Highway To Hell (Bon Scott's last album)

Back In Black (Brian Johnson's first album)

For Those About To Rock

Flick Of The Switch

'74 Jailbreak (international EP of previously Australia-exclusive tracks)

Fly On The Wall

Who Made Who (the Maximum Overdrive soundtrack)

Blow Up Your Video

The Razors Edge

Ballbreaker

Stiff Upper Lip

Black Ice

Rock Or Bust

Power Up (stylized "PWR/UP")

Concert movies

Let There Be Rock: The Movie (1980)
Live at Donington (1992)
No Bull (1996)*
Stiff Upper Lip Live (2001)
Live at the Circus Krone (2009)**
Live at River Plate (2011)

* Re-edited & re-mixed Director's Cut released in 2008.
**Originally bundled with the Backtracks box set, now available on iTunes.

Vids

Dave, 1974
Colchester, 1978
Touch Too Much, 1979
Detroit, 1983
Rock In Rio, 1985
Big Gun, 1993
Sydney, 1996

Pics

Links

AC-DC.net tour archive
AC/DC Italia (YT channel) - the #1 Italian fan club
AC/DC Abruzzo (YT channel + alternate channel) - a group of ultra-hardcore Italian fans, publishers of the Black Ice tour photo book and the AC/DC Fantography
AC/DC BRASIL Twitter - good source of recent tidbits
ACDCFans.net forum - the go-to English language AC/DC forum. Membership is very knowledgable and typically right on top of news, but tends to gush about the band. Ah, for the days of the wild and woolly Rising Power forum (*likely NSFW warning*)...

And...here are your rewards for wading through all of that!

Brian's Ladies (NSFW) :D

Beer!!!

(old news archived to post #4)

~NEWS UPDATE XIX~

With Brian, Phil, and Cliff all back, AC/DC's 17th studio album, Power Up (stylized PWR/UP), is now out! Details start at end of page 11; my review on page 12.

~BONUS NEWS~

It's the 50th anniversary of AC/DC's first show, December 31st 1973!!!!! :hellyeah: :rock:

~NEWS UPDATE XX~

European tour announced! See details on page 14!

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have zero interest in new AC/DC material and honestly think they only have two albums that are good all the way through (Highway to Hell and Back in Black), but goddammit are they an important band to my musical development. I listened to songs from AC/DC Live an ungodly number of times in my early teens and will turn up every single one of their horribly overplayed singles when they come on the radio. I was really worried when I heard about Malcolm's health because I would love to see a farewell tour but do not have the money to blow on one yet (although it would be even worse if we never got one due to an untimely death, of course).

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
AC/DC was at its best near the end of the Bon Scott era. Let There Be Rock is a solid album, and their stuff through to Highway to Hell is classic. Then Back in Black is awesome but really that was it. They had a hit or two in For Those About to Rock and Thunderstruck but oh my god anything after Back in Black is just so bad.

AC/DC Live is a really solid live album though.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Archived news from 2014 - 2017

The band recently finished recording their sixteenth studio album at The Warehouse studio in Vancouver, BC (SoloDallas inside the studio, part 1 and part 2). Brendan O'Brien will again be producing (hopefully, he gets more power out of the band than he did on Black Ice... :reject:). A tour is tentative, but probable. Brian has said that the plan was for 40 shows to celebrate 40 years, but that may be expanded due to high demand.

The occasion has been marred by the illness of Malcolm Young, who has been forced to "take a break". He has been replaced in the studio by his nephew Stevie, who also filled in for him during part of the 1988 Blow Up Your Video tour while he was in alcoholic rehab (according to Maximum Rock & Roll, he had a fondness for Stone's Green Ginger Wine).

It is not known exactly what's affecting Malcolm. Whatever it is, he's had it since at least 2012. Brian recently revealed that Mal has been hospitalized. It's unclear as to whether Stevie will have to also take Malcolm's place on tour.

Most recent picture of Malcolm (January 2014, Sydney airport)

---> Full interview with Brian <---

~NEWS UPDATE~

New album officially announced!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ac-dc-rock-or-bust/

Title is "Rock or Bust". Here's the first single, Play Ball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT8e7i0ccLQ

Play Ball will be used to promote the 2014 Major League Baseball playoffs. Reminds me of how WWE used "Spoilin' For A Fight"...

Album will release in Australia Nov. 28th, and in North America Dec. 2nd.

Sadly, part of the announcement was that Malcolm is too sick to return to the band, and has been permanently replaced by Stevie.

~NEWS UPDATE II~

Rock or Bust is out! See page 3 for my review! Tour tentatively starts April 10th!

In addition, Phil Rudd's run into some serious criminal charges, but has yet to be officially (re-)fired, and it's been revealed that Malcolm has dementia, and is in a full-time care facility. It's also now known that he had lung cancer surgery as well as a pacemaker installed after the Black Ice tour.

~NEWS UPDATE III~

AC/DC is scheduled to perform at the 2015 Grammy Awards on Feb. 8th. It appears that, at least for this show, Chris Slade will be returning to replace the once-again troubled drummer Phil Rudd. See page 3 for plenty of some pre-show pics! :cool:

~NEWS UPDATE IV~

North American tour dates!

~NEWS UPDATE V~

Winnipeg show announced! No other new dates yet.

~NEWS UPDATE VI~

AC/DC's first gig since 2010, at the Coachella festival, will be streamed live via YouTube on April 10th! See page 4 for details!

~NEWS UPDATE VII~

Well, the official stream ended up not happening, but here's a great recap of the show!

~NEWS UPDATE VIII~

The band is currently touring Europe. Check out page 4 for a hot vid from Madrid! :cheers:

~NEWS UPDATE IX~

The first leg of the tour ended today in Poland. North America begins August 22nd! :cheers:

~NEWS UPDATE X~

Getting warmed up for Australia! :)

~NEWS UPDATE XI~

New U.S. and European tour dates announced! Get ready!

~NEWS UPDATE XII~

Brian has been ordered to stop touring immediately or risk total hearing loss:

http://www.acdc.com/news?n_id=274

Dates will be rescheduled, likely with a guest singer. Refunds will be made available.

~NEWS UPDATE XIII~

Axl Rose (*cringe*) has been announced as the guest singer for the rest of the Rock Or Bust tour. See details on page 7.

~NEWS UPDATE XIV~

Axl has performed his first show with AC/DC. See pages 7 and 8 for vids and reactions!

~NEWS UPDATE XV~

Rescheduled US dates announced.

~NEWS UPDATE XVI~

The Rock Or Bust tour wrapped up tonight in Philadelphia! See Cliff's final farewell on page 8!

~NEWS UPDATE XVII~

George Young, Angus and Malcolm's elder brother and co-producer of their first 5 albums plus Blow Up Your Video and Stiff Upper Lip has died at age 70. Articles on page 9.

~NEWS UPDATE XVIII~ (MAJOR UPDATE)

Malcolm Young, the founder of AC/DC, has died of dementia at age 64.

http://www.acdc.com/news?n_id=364

Tough year for the Young family... :( Rock in peace, Mal.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 12, 2024

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

AC/DC is one of those bands who pretty much puts out the same song over and over again. But it's a pretty good song, so I don't mind.

Incidentally, if nobody here has ever played the Thunderstruck drinking game, they're really missing out.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have zero interest in new AC/DC material and honestly think they only have two albums that are good all the way through (Highway to Hell and Back in Black)

Dirty Deeds and High Voltage are amazing, what are you talking about?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The entire run with Bon Scott is good.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I agree with all of the praise you guys are heaping on the Bon Scott years, Back In Black, etc but Black Ice fuckin owns too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have no interest in AC/DC but I saw them live a few years ago and they kicked rear end and Angus still had it which is more than you can say for most older bands now a days.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

facebook jihad posted:

but oh my god anything after Back in Black is just so bad.

Well, I wouldn't say that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq9r4-xvunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp-PKmbcF7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiZHNw1MtzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWG4-4Y6Z60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuSHlWVjDIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtw3IPYTfmA

Abu Dave posted:

I have no interest in AC/DC but I saw them live a few years ago and they kicked rear end and Angus still had it which is more than you can say for most older bands now a days.

This is from the last show of the sell-out laden 168 date tour, which only had 2 cancellations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YaClQpOI8Q

Hellz yeah! :hehe:

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 25, 2020

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Phil Rudd of all people is doing a solo album. If his drumming is meant to be the star of the show, it could get old real quick. But then again, maybe he'll pull off something great... :)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/acdc-phil-rudd-solo-album/

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Synthetic Hermit posted:

News

The band recently finished recording their sixteenth studio album at The Warehouse studio in Vancouver, BC (SoloDallas inside the studio, part 1 and part 2). Brendan O'Brien will again be producing (hopefully, he gets more power out of the band than he did on Black Ice...:reject:). A tour is tentative, but probable. Brian has said that the plan was for 40 shows to celebrate 40 years, but that may be expanded due to high demand.

The occasion has been marred by the illness of Malcolm Young, who has been forced to "take a break". He has been replaced in the studio by his nephew Stevie, who also filled in for him during part of the 1988 Blow Up Your Video tour while he was in alcoholic rehab (according to Maximum Rock & Roll, he had a fondness for Stone's Green Ginger Wine).

It is not known exactly what's affecting Malcolm. Whatever it is, he's had it since at least 2012. Brian recently revealed that Mal has been hospitalized. It's unclear as to whether Stevie will have to also take Malcolm's place on tour.

Most recent picture of Malcolm (January 2014, Sydney airport)

No one has absolutely no idea how psyched I am for a new album and tour. I made a thread back when Black Ice was released and went to one of the first shows on the tour. It still stands as the best night of my life since it was the first time I got to see them live since they became my favorite band back in the 90's.

I really hope Malcolm gets better soon. :( I didn't know about his nephew subsituting for him in the BUYV tour, so that's interesting!

Also, nice OP, but you missed Bonfire, Backtracks, and their live albums; 1992's aptly-title Live being the CD that made me fall in love with them.

If You Want Blood is no slouch either, even if the Glasgow concert is incomplete. :smith:

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Charles Martel posted:

Also, nice OP, but you missed Bonfire, Backtracks, and their live albums; 1992's aptly-title Live being the CD that made me fall in love with them.

If You Want Blood is no slouch either, even if the Glasgow concert is incomplete. :smith:

I did say selected discography. Mostly to keep the size down, but also with the live albums, no matter how well produced, you're missing at least half the experience. That's why I showed so many live videos/music videos rather than mere studio tracks. ;)

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Here's Repo Man, the first single off Phil Rudd's new album Head Job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kA53ELQIGM

You can really feel the attitude Phil brings...sorta reminds me of the Ballbreaker album.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
New Brian interview. Talks cars and the band situation. The album is fully finished. He says they're definitely touring. Still not sure on Malcolm's participation.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 14, 2015

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Powerage is an awesome album. Well every Bon Scott album is pretty good, but It's my favorite.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Synthetic Hermit posted:

New Brian interview. The album is fully finished. He says they're definitely touring.

gently caress yes. I can't wait.

And this is awesome.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Here's a nice alternate version of Little Lover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhWxzCp35AQ

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014
I always liked Big Balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-fIn2QZgg

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Bon era AC/DC still holds a big place for me, having an older brother who listened to very little other than it had it in my head since I could remember, I still remember him blasting The Razor's Edge back in 1990 when I was 6, because it's the first album I was aware of them releasing and it being 'new' it still feels like a 'new' album to me in a dumb way, despite being 24 years ago.

Also because I don't think I have listened to any of their albums after that because can't be hosed.

Still want to do a meaner, heavier version of Walk All Over You. Also I know Mark Evans, kinda, we have chatted a few times.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Here's a nice alternate version of Little Lover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhWxzCp35AQ

Interesting.

I'd like to share What's Next To The Moon from the European Vinyl version of Powerage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71AeKHXIrQM

As the video description says:

quote:

It had a 'harder' sound than the CD version, with small variations in vocals and/or guitar tracks, and occasionally extra sections and longer or shorter fades.
One of the most marked differences is the exclusion of the bluesy coda on "Down Payment Blues."
The first cassette issue of the album also features this mix.
The album was later remixed for the American market, with the new mix replacing the original European mix, and becoming the global standard.

I would most definitely track down a CD version of this mix with some cash...if it existed. :smith:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

I agree with all of the praise you guys are heaping on the Bon Scott years, Back In Black, etc but Black Ice fuckin owns too.

Black Ice is one of those underrated gems that had a lot of material which held up very well live.

To me, the entire project hinges on Malcolm Young. If this is an AC/DC project with sort of Young's participation I'm not sure how interested I am in sitting through it.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Recently picked up original vinyl releases of 'Dirty Deeds', 'Powerage' and 'Let There Be Rock'.
Happy times, listening to it properly.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I read this before and forgot to link it: Phil Rudd says the album was recorded in a mere ten days and says it's "stunning".

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2014/08/per-phil-rudd-acdc-album-was-finished.html

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
New album officially announced!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ac-dc-rock-or-bust/

Title is "Rock or Bust". Here's a small preview of one of the songs, Play Ball:

https://pressroom.turner.com/us/tur...on#.VCMg3xac2Sp
Partially cleaned up - https://soundcloud.com/user764386094/acdc-play-ball

An extended preview will occur Sep. 27th on TBS, and will be used to promote the 2014 Major League Baseball playoffs. Reminds me of how WWE used "Spoilin' For A Fight"...

Album will release in Australia Nov. 28th, and in North America Dec. 2nd.

Sadly, part of the announcement was that Malcolm is too sick to return to the band, and has been permanently replaced by Stevie.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 14, 2015

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
It's really sad to hear about Malcolm and it just makes me even more glad that I went to see him in action during the last tour. This album will be an interesting listen indeed. Pre-ordering it the first chance I get.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Longer Play Ball sample. Still obscured by voiceovers, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG-RntPs-MA

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Best Band Ever. I am loving psyched for this album. I didn't really like Stiff Upper Lip very much, but I loving loved Black Ice. If this album is half as good as Black Ice, then I'll probably listen to it non-stop for the next year. Hell, even if it's bad, it's still an excuse for them to tour again.

Favorite AC/DC song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2CRtdrIMQE

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Sheen Sheen posted:

Best Band Ever. I am loving psyched for this album. I didn't really like Stiff Upper Lip very much, but I loving loved Black Ice. If this album is half as good as Black Ice, then I'll probably listen to it non-stop for the next year. Hell, even if it's bad, it's still an excuse for them to tour again.

Favorite AC/DC song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2CRtdrIMQE

:golfclap: A fine choice. Still my favorite album ever.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I think my pick from highway to hell would be shot down in flames, and for the Brian Johnson era just pretty much the entirety of flick of the switch.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
A music video has been shot for Rock or Bust's title track. Early info at link below.

http://www.acdcfans.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=6902&page=1#Item_0

Also, the full version of "Play Ball" should be available later this week.

http://pro.wlup-fm.tritonflex.com/common/page.php?pt=Hear+the+New+AC%2FDC+on+The+Loop+Tuesday!&id=4174&is_corp=0

The AC/DC machine is powering up! :cool:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Jailbreak" was and is their best song by a long shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5xnc1p7BMk

Hell yeah.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Brian responds to all the birthday greetings!

Also, a bunch of pictures fom the video shoot!

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 6, 2014

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
AC/DC's Vevo accidentally uploaded Rock or Bust's title track in place of Play Ball!

Aw, they found out! :(

MAN! That's the most powerful they've sounded since the Ballbreaker album! Only problem with it is the generic (even for AC/DC) lyrics!

:D

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 7, 2014

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Here's a good quality upload of the full version of Play Ball.

IMO, sounds like a Black Ice leftover with better mixing and solos. It's got groove and decent punch, but, well...

:/

In any case, the title track totally pwns everything on Black Ice and most of SUL - that title track had a way more addictive groove.

Play Ball has apparently been released on iTunes in the U.S., so if you want it, come and get it! :keke:

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 18, 2019

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
acdc.com updated with album pre-order info and track list.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 6, 2016

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Here's a good quality upload of the full version of Play Ball.

IMO, sounds like a Black Ice leftover with better mixing and solos. It's got groove and decent punch, but, well...

:/

In any case, the title track totally pwns everything on Black Ice and most of SUL - that title track had a way more addictive groove.

Play Ball has apparently been released on iTunes in the U.S., so if you want it, come and get it! :keke:

I finally gave in and listened to both songs. Compared to their other songs, I don't really care for Play Ball at all. Maybe it will grow on me, but ehhhhhhh. Rock or Bust, on the other hand, now that is more like it. Much more of a memorable groove...for AC/DC in 2014 anyway.

Those two songs reminded me of the criticisms I've had for the band since Ballbreaker: where are the fast songs? The last "fast" song they put to tape was Fire Your Guns from The Razors Edge. In 1990. Since then, it's been the same plodding, mid-tempo blues beat on their studio albums. Don't get me wrong, my least favorite AC/DC tracks are a hell of a lot better than a lot of band's best songs, but c'mon boys: up the tempo a little and inject some energy into it. I want more stuff like Landslide, Brain Shake, Nick of Time, This Means War, Heatseeker from Live, etc.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Charles Martel posted:

The last "fast" song they put to tape was Fire Your Guns from The Razors Edge.

Safe In New York City is pretty fast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDmlld1TAQ4

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

I was thinking of including that and Give It Up from the same album, but the other songs I mentioned before are closer to what I would like to see the band record again.

I'm still going to pre-order the album. I just know they have the energy to make a few more uptempo songs. Comparing Landslide and This Means War to their newer songs is like night and day.

Seriously, Landslide is crazy underrated.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 16, 2014