Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Cyrus
FP: 4

"If this was just a research base, you would be right. An archaeological dig involves significantly more transport of unknown goods, and thus has more potential points of failure." Cyrus slinks into the lab behind Ponponkona, his gloves already off. "Of course, since this is where they would have done the brunt of their research, there should be some records in here. We just need to find them."

Alright, so Cyrus doesn't really know what this equipment's for either. What can he say, he works with flesh, not stone. Still, two eyes are better than one when you're searching something as potentially-important as the laboratory. There's got to be something for them to find...

(Cyrus would normally be insulted by Sonoda's insinuation, but she actually understands what things are like in the lab. She's not some ignorant fool that thinks they know what arcane laboratories are like just because they played the fourth Resident Evil reboot. He's willing to put up with a lot from someone like that.)

Rolling Notice to do what Kona can't. Notice: 4dF+4 1 And then I remembered that this probably just counts as assisting Kona, which just gives her +1 without a roll, so that roll was completely pointless. Still, at least we got a +2 to find something with Notice.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

"I love that the assumption here is that the problem came from outside," I observe blandly, following Sonoda up the stairs. "It's so cute that everyone figures nothing wrong could have happened and they couldn't have intentionally turned it off..."

Heading for the control room is the only thing that makes sense to do at the moment. Still, I'm going to let Sonoda lead if she wants to.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Massri scowls at Sonoda, and is clearly about to respond angrily, by Barboza puts a hand on her shoulder. "That's understood. Remember that it's our people already lost out here, though." Massri shrugs off Barboza's hand and crosses her arm. "I'll check the site records when the power comes back up."

You hear Trinh banging around in the garage, then a hum as the power suit starts up - then immediately turns off, followed by a volley of profanity. Seems like he'll be a bit still. Malcolm radios that he's patching a cable into the dome's transmitter on the outside to boost the crawlers signal, so you won't have to rely on the dome's systems for comms back to base. Reception is still terrible because of the storm though.

Sonoda and Boost head upstairs. The music is a bit louder here, coming out of the third room in, which has an open door. It's marked as Munro's. The room is messy, bed unmade, laundry piled on the floor, and smart-posters cover the walls. They come in two varities - Martian music, and Martian politics. The music switches to the next track .

A cursory check reveals the following. Kenyon's room is also a mess, though at lest the clothes are put away. The work station is on and the space on side of the room filled with floating displays - unfortunately none of it related to this site, it's all notes from students on Earth working on a site in the Arabian Desert. The door to Hoare's room is locked. Proskuriakova keeps her room well organized, everything put away, but it isn't as cold as that might imply - about 90% of the walls and ceiling is painted in bright colors, a stylized landscape from somewhere on Earth. Gerhard's room is clean for a different reason - two full duffel bags sit on the bed, apparently recently packed. Finally, Papineau's room is more cluttered then messy, with lots of personal items and gear scattered on her desk, and a second table shoved in. That table has a collection of sculpting tools, apparently Papineau liked to carve figurines out of Martian rocks. They're in a neo-primitive style that was popular a decade ago. She isn't half bad.

The control room is cramped, with only enough room for one person to sit on a stool that's been knocked over. A couple of access panels are open, and there's a thick bundle of disconnected cables hanging out of one, and a box with a collection of drives stacked neatly inside of it. The cables are supposed to connect the local systems to the transmitter. It doesn't look like they were ripped out - someone sat here and disconnected them properly, and even has them zip tied up out of the way. The thumb-sized storage drives came out of the backup array for the network. All the primary drives for the control room and presumably the workstations are still in place. She can get everything turned back on without replacing either the cables or the drives. As far as she can tell, there's no other damage. There is, however, some sort of sticky substance on the floor that's a bit worrying until she spots the coffee cup in the corner by the door.

Kona and Cyrus move over to the lab. The door sticks a bit, but a good shove pushes it open. Everything in here is red. The emergency lights feebly cast a crimson light, covered in a thin crust of the same substance that coats every other surface. It's thicker in some places than others, but its everywhere. The lab is a wreck. A cabinet rack is halfcollapsed, leaning precariously against a wall, it's contents strew out over the floor. The workstation is trashed, its flatscreen cracked and the emitters for the displays shattered. It's like something exploded.

The place smells - it's not blood. Both cyborg and doctor are more than familiar enough with the substance to be certain of that in moments. It's a smell of mold and iron.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Ponponkona

"Mold... why would there be mold in a sealed habdome?" Kona looks at Cyrus. "Um, do you know?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Cyrus
FP: 4

"Because they brought it in." Cyrus snarls and turns back to the main hall. This mystery just got that much more complicated.

"Everyone! We have a Class C fungal outbreak in the lab! Keep your respirators on and your hands off the mold!"

Assuming we start a brainstorm now, I'm compelling Recently Downsized Arcanobiologist to get involved because figuring things out about unknown living things is my job. Or at least, it is now.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Sam

Having given up on making any progress with Trinh's frame, the Mayor wanders through the common area with an eye to the daily life details: melting ice cream. Fridge half open. Abandoned cards. Dented locker. He flags down Massri once his respirator is on- Class C probably doesn't mean 'totally fine'.

"Doctor Massri, you've been on plenty of extended stay field sites. I'd appreciate your insight here."

He points to the ice cream like a smoking gun. "Now, if it were me out here, i'd try to keep morale and discipline up by keeping things clean and tidy when I wasn't using them. Is it normal for professional scientists like your people to leave things in disarray like this before going down for a scheduled visit to the dig site? Does this look like a normal living space to you, or has stress been high?"

It would be one thing if the team had abruptly left the hab without planning in the middle of downtime. But there was also the possibility of something more slow-burning, the kind of thing that makes less experienced scientists- the agoraphobe? the rookie?- want to get out. Or at least punch a locker in anger.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 4, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Massri tries to look around Sam, clearly wanting to get to the lab, but she answers. "Morale - look, it's like a dorm. People live here. It's going to get a bit messy and cluttered and beat up. Hell, last Martian site I worked at, some of the students got so bored during a storm that they started jousting with motorized carts. Another one someone dropped a pot and bent the door on the oven so badly it wouldn't close."

"But leaving food out like that," she points at the ice cream, "or leaving lockers open, that's weird. And the door was welded shut something bad happened here." Through the irritation in her voice, Sam can hear real fear for the well-being of her people.

Barboza leans up against the wall next to the stairwell leading down to the dig site. She looks bored, but she didn't pick that spot by accident.

A brainstorm was suggested in the OOC thread. I'm game if you lot are!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Ponponkona

Kona picks up on the lab network, and begins the process of breaking in. "Admin? Nope. Guest? Nope. Password? Nope..."

Krysmbot KZA, /-/-+2 = 0 Systems. Next attempt will be at +3, but that one is a wash. Let's brainstorm!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Brainstorm time! Everyone who wants in should compel an aspect and take an FP, then roll a skill you feel is appropriate to help solve the mystery here. Science or Occult skills are naturals, but things like Notice or Contacts might help as well.

Best roll that beats at least a +3 gets to establish a fact.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Cyrus
FP: 4->5

You know, Cyrus was hoping he could keep his gloves off for this mission. But no, he had to run into a full-on Class C event. It is his job to run into those, though, so he might as well get used to it.

Really, field identification is a relatively simple process. Step one, collect a sample of the material. A few grams of mold are scraped into a sample tube and promptly sealed. Step two, draw a basic ritual circle. There's more than enough room in the garage for one, so Cyrus spends a minute scrawling on the ground with chalk. Step three, well, perform the ritual. That's where things could get a bit hard...

Like I said before, compelling Recently Downsized Arcanobiologist to enter the brainstorm. As for my roll, I'll use Occult as Analytic Divination to figure something out about this mold. Analytic Divination: 4dF+2 1 Could invoke to tie, but someone else will probably roll better than that.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sonoda

Sonoda frowns at the locked door and scratches her head. It all makes a sort of sense, of sorts, like a jigsaw puzzle with the edges assembled. The ice cream and the music and the tidied computer and even the welded airlock. She just doesn't know how they all connect just yet. But there's something that doesn't fit in, and it's driving her nuts, because it's distracting her from the bigger pattern.

What is wrong with this goddamn door?

She tilts her head and actually looks at it. "Oh, that's what. It's locked." Everyone else's is open, why not Hoare's?

"Guys, I'm going to make a bit of noise, don't mind me," she shouts downstairs to make sure no-one freaks out, and presses her fist against the lock. "Ascalon, let's go easy on this."

「Ram Knuckle」

Crimson magical circles form around her arm, align with the tiniest turn, and with a red flash the door sort of crunches inward. Ascalon had to be fitted with power limiters when they left the JSDF. Times like these, those were kind of handy.

Sonoda spent years living like this, so I'm going to compel A Magical Girl Veteran And So On. Rolling Notice to go through this mess:
= 17:34:43 < Siivola> .dice 4df+4
= 17:34:44 < skybot> Siivola: 5 (4df+4=+, 0, +, -)

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Ponponkona

Taking one on Savior Machine

Kona probes the wifi again.

"P4ssw0rd. Seriously?"

The interface splays out in front of her. "Experimental log, experimental log... There."

She frowns. "I have no idea what half these words mean. Calling up internal dictionary... Oh, mycoid means fungus-like. I thought it had something to do with electricity..."

Systems
skybot KPrime: 6 (4df+3=0, +, +, +)

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Sam

Massri's evident concern makes an impact on the Mayor. He's never met the science team here, but they're Martians, aren't they? Challenging the frontier like this is what the Red Planet Spirit is all about, and they as people- citizens- deserve support.

While the others investigate the hab directly, he draws out his tablet and replays young Gerhard's distress call to himself in the kitchen, frowning pensively.

Compelling Don't gently caress With This Refugee Advocate, and rolling Notice: -2, oh boy, my first critfail in FATE!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The door deforms under Sonoda's magical battering ram, then falls inwards. She can step over it pretty easily. There's a faint smell of ozone in the room, a familiar scent to a magical girl. It only takes her a second to spot the summoning grid, a small desktop affair made with a laser pointer and prisms. It's hooked into Hoare's desktop terminal. The chair in front of the desk is knocked over the floor, and the wardrobe is pulled open, its contents dumped out onto the floor. The bed clothes too, and the mattress looks like someone took a knife to it. Drawers are pulled out and dumped onto the floor. Sonoda's seen the like before - someone tossed the room. Looking for something, and not caring about whether anyone knew they had afterwards.

That summoning grid isn't big enough to pull through anything physical. Hoare was a ritual magician. Probably calling upon a virtual manifestation of a outsider to help automate some process. It's a lot faster than programming something, and a lot cheaper than carting around an AI. But if it's been left open and running, unattended, something could have slipped through...

A reality Boost discovers as she starts to put the systems back in order. The virtual displays pop on unexpectedly, and a baleful glowing violet eye peers at her from out of the system. It suddenly jerks out of view, leaving static and cascades of nonsensical errors in its wake.

pre:
[ERROR] connection interrupted by rhesus monkey
[WARN] you are imaginary
[ERROR] someone has stolen your trees
[ADVISE] a team of highly trained wombats has been dispatched to your location
[WARN] your spoon is too big
[ERROR] no error detected
[ERROR] there was an error displaying the previous error
And so on and so forth. Congratulations, there's a malevolent virtual extradimensional intelligence in your systems, eating your files!

loving daemons.

Brainstorm: The 6 has it. KPrime, give us a fact, and then round 2!

Ridley opted out of the Brainstorm so Boost has a contest to get the systems back on line. The open gate in Hoare's room let a digital monster slip in and now it's trying to munch on the local network while Boost is turning it back on. It's not actually dangerous physically, but it could erase critical data and will keep you from using the local systems unless she stops it. Worse case scenario, it jumps some firewalls and infects your gear. Best to keep your guard up.

Contest
Daemon:
Boost:

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Ponponkona

"Uuuuh... team?"

Ponponkona calls up the file system. "So um, there's this file in the deleted folders... it says they were 'experimenting with mycoid specimens' and that then the experiments were suddenly canceled. But this other log shows they were still using the specimens as of uh... 2 days ago. Do you any of you know why they'd be doing that? Or how it would lead to this... gross stuff?"

Do Not Taunt Happy Fungi

KPrime, -//-+4 = 2 notice aw geeze :|

K Prime fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 16, 2014

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

Right. Let the rest of the team stumble around blindly looking for clues as to what happened here. As for me, dear viewers, I'll go straight to the source. Getting all the systems back up and running here should be pretty drat simple, just a matter of poo poo gently caress drat.

"Well, I know why they disassembled the drat computer system," I mutter in irritation.

Too bad for them they unleashed this thing. Too bad for it, I'm better than it is. There's a pretty straightforward way to deal with a threat like this. First, you keep your cool.

I slip my headphones on, and turn the volume to max. Cool: check.

Second, you isolate the little fucker, to contain the damage to noncritical sectors. Oh yeah, I can do that. The rhythm of the music keeps me focused and gets me into the groove - you know me, dear viewers, you've seen me work, you know I can do this.

I can do this.

[02:01] <Morphball>: Ridley: to isolate and contain: 3 = 4dF(+,x,x,-)+3

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sonoda

"...Huh. Hey Boost, someone's left a digital summoning-" She can't finish the sentence before she hears a surprised poo poo gently caress drat from the other room. "Oh, you noticed, cool."

She taps the terminal's keyboard to wake it up and pulls the chair up. What was Hoare working on? With a smell like this, even an absent-minded professor would not forget a summoning grid open, would they? No, he probably got interrupted by something and never had the time to come back to close the grid.

11:23:21 <+Morphball> Siivola: Whatever SCIENCE Hoare was doing: 4 = 4dF(x,x,x,+)+3

I'm two short of a success. :eng99: Hey Gorby, get back to me on what Hoare was working on and I'll see if I can come up with an aspect to invoke for a tie.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Cyrus
FP: 5

"Plenty of reasons, Kona. More reasons than you'd ever know..." Cyrus stares down at the small vial of fungus in his hand. Is this mold really that important? Important enough to defy their orders? Important enough to leave the base? There are questions here. Questions that strike entirely too close to home. His divinations sure aren't giving him any insights...

"Ah, it doesn't matter. We need to focus on the whats, not the whys." Cyrus gives the sample vial a jaunty little flip in the air before pocketing it and returning to the main dome. After all, there's far too much to find in here before he can waste time moping. Maybe the lockers will have something to find...

Rolling with Notice to search the unlocked lockers: Notice: 4dF+4 4 I don't have any really relevant aspects and I don't know of any appropriate scene aspects, so I guess I'm just kind of stuck.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Unfortunately for Sonoda, the daemon crashed Hoare's terminal before it migrated to the network. Boost may be able to get backups once she deals with the thing.

However, sitting at the desk, she finds a notebook. Old school paper. Ritual magicians are like that sometimes - some things don't play nice with digital storage, or the act of writing itself is part of the psychosomatics of their sorcery. Nothing in it is particularly interesting - except for the fact that ten or fifteen pages got torn out of the back.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Boost's quarantine comes down like a steel wall, trapping the daemon inside the sector dedicated to external atmospheric readings. They can get those from the crawler. It slams against the containment with malformed viral code, but can't break through, and she can see the digital noose tightening around it. Even contained the visualization refuses to give her a complete picture of the thing. Which is weird, because the only way that could happen would be-

Suddenly it disappears, erupting again out of another subsystem, tunneling back through some imaginary computational dimension. She can't see the whole thing because it's not a whole - its one entity spread out in disconnected and discordant parts. How annoying.

Sorry about the double post, somehow I lost the contest portion of the prior one.

Daemon loses this round.
[19:37] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /-+-+3 = 2

It goes on the attack, and uses a stunt to reroll after taking a loss... Not that it helps any. I invoke its Out of the Darknet aspect to bump it to 4.
[19:39] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /-+-+3 = 2
[19:39] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -/-++3 = 2

Contest
Daemon: 0
Boost: 1

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Check in - Kellsterik are you still with us? And does Sonoda want to invoke to get that tie? I am moving to the next round of the brainstorm tomorrow regardless so we can move on.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The team's investigations turn up nothing of particular interest in the next few minutes. Ponponkona doesn't want to touch anything in the fungi colonized lab, but even her enhanced vision reveals nothing else particularly out of the ordinary. Cyrus checks the lockers - they're all locked, besides Papineau's. He can force them if he wants, though once Boost gets the system back up he won't need to. Without anything to compare it to, he can't really tell what if anything is missing from Papineau's locker, though it definitely looks like something was taken, as it is mostly empty. With the terminal cleaned out, Sonoda won't be able to check Hoare's notes until and unless they find backups.

Meanwhile, Sam and Trinh get the suit to turn on, but it throws up a bunch of errors on the HUD. With a groan, Trinh pulls out his tablet and hooks in. "Maybe if I put it back to factory settings and then load a firmware upgrade..."

Next round of the brainstorm. Difficulty is still a 6. You need at least one more victory to name the hypothesis aspect! If you don't make it, then I get to create an aspect.
Brainstorm Victories: 2

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

All right, so I didn't actually expect the drat thing to be stopped so easily. That's fine, though, because I also wasn't done. Getting into the beats now. This little bastard's going to find that it's got fewer and fewer avenues of escape...

[20:20] <Morphball>: Ridley: Systems, again.: 2 = 4dF(x,-,-,+)+3

I hope.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Ponponkona

"Fungus, fungus... what could a fungus have to do with this?" Ponponkona activates her rarely-used cybernetic scanning AR Vision. She doesn't like using it because it gives her a headache and makes everything look really gold-colored for hours afterward, but it finds things that eyes cannot. She paces the corridors restlessly, looking for something, anything to stick out.

KPrime, //+/+4 = 5. If no one else gets it, I'll invoke on my concept to hit the goal.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Boost's hope seems in vain. The daemon is slippery, constantly flipping from one sector to another seemingly at random. And worse, she soon realizes its growing. If she doesn't deal with it soon, it's going to trash the whole system.

KPrime, go ahead and invoke and get us a fact. That will provide enough victories for a hypothesis with one free invoke. Rather than doing that last roll, let's move it along and you guys can come up with a hypothesis among yourselves. I'll be posting more often now that my work issue is wrapped up.

Contest
Daemon: 2
Boost: 1

A counter.
[21:04] <+Morphball> Ridley: 2 = 4dF(-,x,x,x)+3

It wins this round as well.
[21:07] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 5 = 4dF(+,+,+,-)+3

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Sam

The Mayor suddenly pokes his head into the room as Boost rhythmically counter-hacks.

"I just wanted to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you."

He nods firmly and closes the door again.

Creating an advantage for Boost with Rapport:: 4dF+5 3, Words of Encouragement with one free invoke!

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 1, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Ponponkona
FP:4->3

"Um...." Kona looks at the vent shafts, now glowing a soft purple in her vision. "Why are all the vent filters missing? Um... yeah. All of the vent filters are missing. That um, isn't right. Right?"

Filtered Out the Evidence

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

This thing is getting me mad. Just as I'm about to lose my temper, the big man's encouragement arrives.

I'd be madder if he wasn't such a drat nice guy.

But he's counting on me. They all are. Get it together, Boost!

[22:56] <Morphball>: Ridley: Boost is cutting this drat thing off and locking it in a box.: 3 = 4dF(+,-,x,x)+3
[22:56] <Ridley>: NOW going to apply the +2

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

With Sam's encouragement bolstering her resolve, Boost redoubles her efforts. She harries the daemon from directory to directory, and slowly isolates it. As the struggle continues, she realizes that the daemon's strength is also its weakness. It's all a matter of timing.

And this time she gets it right. With the daemon again seemingly locked down in one subsystem, she immediately hard-cycles the whole thing. It's just in time to catch it halfway through transition through imaginary space, and when the terminal comes back up it's a simple matter of cleaning up now inert pieces of it.

The lights flicker, then come back on, as does the local net and other systems and appliances.

Somewhere below, there's a distant boom, as of a heavy object falling, and the dome shudders slightly.

The daemon bombed this roll. That's a SWS, netting two victories and giving Boost the three needed for the win.
[10:30] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /---+3 = 0

To get things moving again, I'm going to ask KPrime to just name the hypothesis aspect given the facts Filtered Out the Evidence and Do Not Taunt Happy Fungi.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Ponponkona

"Well um... fungi generally like... spore? Right? Into the air? I think someone wanted that stuff to get everywhere. So they took the vent filters off and um... let it spread. I don't know how that leads to everyone going silent but... it's definitely not good."

Fungus Among Us

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Just before Boost gets everything working again, Cyrus heads back to the crawler to do some analysis of the fungal samples, and to relieve Malcolm for a bit.

The vibrations from the first boom fade slowly, then there's a second, more distant one. "What the hell is that?" Massri asks after the sound fades. Barboza shakes her head, but puts her hand on the butt of her personal defense weapon. "It's coming from the dig site below us."

Trinh pokes his head in. "I got this suit working. Are we heading down-?"

His question, and your investigations, are interrupted by the sound of the airlock door below blowing in with a sharp, deafening bang and a whoosh of air. As everyone in the common area turns in that direction, something shoots up the stairwell and into the common room, bathing it in the blue light of Cherenkov radiation. No, six somethings.

At the center is something the size of a vulture, the glowing shape appears to be made of some kind of blueish metal, almost liquid in appearance, with two wing like structures floating beside it. The glowing eye at the center of its oval body emits a strange light, almost more a distortion than an illumination, that sweeps across the room and its contents. Surrounding it are five orbs of similar material, two larger than the others.

The silence is broken by a clatter as Trinh drops his toolcase, staring with mouth hanging open, while Massri takes a step forward a look of awe on her face, reaching out with one hand. Before anyone can react further, the largest apparition emits a piercingly high sound, more felt than heard, and shoots up to the second story. As it flits away, the orbs fan out, impossibly unfolding and flowing into new forms. The three smaller ones resolve into hunchbacked shapes with dome like heads, with tiny eyes. Their spindly limbs seem too small to support them, especially with the massive spikes rising from their shoulders. They cluster together, their movements closely coordinated. The two larger become armored figures, with the core of the orbs floating above a too-thin body that nonetheless is clearly hardened. Their arms end in foot long blades. One moves quickly towards the lab, while the other considers Sam.

Their hostility is impossible to mistake.

Massri voices an strangled interrogative, then Barboza has her pistol in hand and shoves Massri behind her. The doctor trips, then scrambles across the floor to hide behind the pantry door. Trinh immediately turns and runs back to the garage - hopefully to get the power suit.

Map | Aspect Tracker | Nonlocality Tracker

Hey, it's a fight! We'll be using Atomic Robo's dramtic initiative, so I'm going to pick someone to go first. After they go, they will pick the next person to act, and so forth. Generally this means all of you will go, and then the opposition will go. If you want to, you can pick a specific enemy to go if you feel it provides some advantage when you pass it to the bad guys.

Zones are as follows. The Upper Level is its own Zone. The lower area has the Lab, Common Area, and Kitchen & Dining. The map pretty well covers the connections - you can go from Lab to Common Area but not directly from Lab to Kitchen & Dining, for example. This also covers line of sight for ranged attacks. Basically you have to move through the Common Area to get to any of the other zones. Anyone in the Common Area can make ranged attacks into any other zone, but can be attacked with ranged from any zone too.

The one special case that going up to the Upper Level in one turn requires a roll vs +2 (Athletics or Physique would work, but other skills might depending). Anyone who can fly ignores that. Coming downstairs doesn't take any extra work.

In any case, Ponponkona gets to go first.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Ponponkona

"The hell are you?!" Kona draws blade. "..I guess it doesn't matter."

Her eyeshields clamp into place as combat mode activates. "This is something I can work with. Come ON!"

Her sensors scan the thing, looking for weak points.

KPrime, +/--+4 = 3 Notice to pick up a Glowing Weak Point. I'll pass initiative to the foe in front of me!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Her scans find an incredible amount of interference - some kind of electromagnetic field? Despite the static, she pinpoints the power source. As expected, the glowing eye in the head! Before she can advantage though, the thing attacks.

It's fast. Even faster than she is. It charges her, slashing high and low with its glowing blades, leaving a trail of afterimages as they cleave the air. A sliver of the counter beside the door is sheared off, the impossibly thin slice glowing white-blue for a brief moment.

In the common area, the three small drones squeeze closer together, the spines on their backs brightening further as they twist into a strange three-pointed cluster. Then they begin to strobe with brilliant flashes, an intensely disorienting effect. In the stop-motion of the shadow and flare, the other blade-armed thing leaps on Sam, trying to stab him with both blades at once.

Above, the flyer twirls and scans the area. As Boost and Mariko try to react, it emits another unearthly scream. Hands pressed against ears do not soften it - it's inside their heads, scattering thoughts and shattering the continuity of consciousness. Brief moments of severe disassociation - that leg, it's not your leg, it's some alien thing - fade as soon as awareness touches them, but the mental assault is brutal and direct.

While the two struggle to regain their senses, tiny beams of light shoot out in a hemisphere around it, somehow expanding once they are a few meters away to create a translucent shell of light, sealing off the upper level from the lower.

Well that's different.

Ponponkona places her aspect and gets two invokes on it due to SWS.
[20:26] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +---+2 = 0

The one in from of Ponponkona attacks her! If it hits, W:2.
[20:21] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -+//+5 = 5

The cluster of smaller things create the advantage Flare with two invokes in the Common Ara.
[20:25] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +-+/+4 = 5

Then Sam gets attacked by the other big one. If it hits, W:2.
[20:25] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -//++5 = 5

Up in the second story, the flyer makes a mental attack. It splits it to +3 each vs Boost and Mariko. If it hits, W:2.
[20:28] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, ///++5 = 6

It also creates the advantage Light Barrier with one invoke on the Upper Level. If anyone tries to enter or leave that zone, it will invoke to create an Obstacle at +4 against movement that will have to be overcome.

Baddies pass to Sam!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Sam

The Mayor's eyes go wide, but his in-charge demeanor doesn't break just yet. "Save your questions until the end, folks," he declares, stowing his glasses in a practiced motion. "Let's take care of business first."

He takes a breath, starts to center himself, and then those strobes start blaring. He goes cross-eyed for a second, stumbling out of his practiced pose right as the one with blades for arms leaps at him!

Defending with Combat
20:55 Kellsterik !r fudge+4
20:55 Krysmbot Kellsterik, /+--+4 = 3

I'll spend an FP to invoke Closeted Superweapon for +2, making it a tie.

Ducking and wheeling out of the way just in time, Sam slams a meaty palm against the floor to steady himself, and everything that's not tied down quakes for a second. His para-psychic talent had pulled him to the ground faster than reflexes would allow, but he couldn't summon the fine control he needed with those alien flares going off in the common room.

Can't let the beast run wild at a time like this- can't risk losing control this deep in unknown territory. But maybe I can let it poke its head out a little...

Crouched on the floor, the Mayor suddenly leaps all the way up to his feet, makes fruitless eye contact with the sword-armed horror's central orb and barks "Let's GO!" as he crashes back down to the ground, gravikinetic-fist first!

Using my Shockwave Punch to do a ranged Combat attack against the sword-arm!
21:18 Kellsterik !r fudge+4
21:18 Krysmbot Kellsterik, ++-++4 = 6
I'll spend another FP, invoking Don't gently caress With This Refugee Advocate- Sam's got his dander up, now. +8 total.

You're up, Boost!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

Seriously. No sooner have I deleted the cyber-demon than an actual loving weird thing shows up looking like it wants to ruin my day.

Seriously.

I just really do not want to be hit by whatever the hell it is it's doing right now. Good thing I already have my beats going. Maybe if I get some dance on it'll confuse this thing's targeting?

[22:14] <Morphball>: Ridley: athletics to stay the hell out of this thing's way, maybe confuse it with some rapid movements: 5 = 4dF(+,-,+,x)+4

Using a Fate Point to activate Theme Music and invoking the boost for a +4 to Athletics, for 9 total.

[22:31] <Morphball>: Ridley: confusin' dance moves: 6 = 4dF(+,x,-,+)+5

+2 for a boost, so 8 total.

That thing is Confused by Boost's moves.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 22, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Mariko is up as well.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sonoda

Defending with Will:
09:49:38 < skybot> Siivola: 4 (4df+4=+, -, 0, 0)

The psychic scream washes over Sonoda's mind, sweeping out thoughts of the slashed diary and the mystery at hand. She falls as her knees buckle - are they even her knees?

She doesn't mind, she sticks to what's important: The alien creature in front of her, and the alien intelligence in her heart. At her command, Ascalon assumes physical form, and her magical staff appears in her hand. A dark shape leaps past the creature - that's Boost, don't hit her - and the dumb thing turns to follow it. Perfect.

A spear of golden energy manifests in front of her.

「Photon Lancer」

"Take this!"

10:17:49 < Siivola> Attacking with Combat! Invoking Confused!
10:18:01 < Siivola> !r 4df+5
10:18:02 < Krysmbot> Siivola, ++/++5 = 8
10:18:11 < Siivola> Boom.

Edit: Passing the initiative to the Ginsu monster.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 22, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

A powerful beam erupts from the staff, slamming into the flyer as it tries to keep Boost in its sights. The energy illuminates the things forcefield, which flares briefly before collapsing. It dives for the floor, taking only minor damage. Its wings flare again, and a doubly thick shell of energy encloses it.

Sam's power fist attack slams into the distorting light surrounding his foe. The shield flickers and dies, shoving it back. It arrests its motion with its blade-arms, leaving fading lines in the floor. Then it leaps back at him, arms slashing almost too fast to see. Meanwhile, its twin renews its assault on Ponponkona.

But in both cases it's merely a distraction - to get Sam to turn his back on the trio of smaller things, and to lock the cyborg warrior's blade down so she can't defend properly. The small squad opens fire with a flurry of glowing blue disks, like shurikens that can cut through steel.

Here we go!

The flyer rolled a 4 on its defense vs Mariko's magical laser, and invoked its Forcefield to reduce the net to 2 (OX).

The one fighting Sam takes a hit, and invokes its Forcefield to reduce the net to 2 (OXO).
[17:07] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +/--+5 = 4

Trying to create an advantage on Sam - Close Shave.
[16:39] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +-+-+5 = 5

The other bladed one tries to create an advantage on Ponponkona - Blade Lock.
[16:39] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +-+-+5 = 5

The squad of little guys open fire! They have a stunt that lets them attack Sam and Ponponkona with a +4 each. If it hits, I will spend a Fate point so you cannot mark off stress to absorb the damage. If the advantages get created, on Kona, it will be invoked to get around her normal bulletproof. In Sam's case, it will be invoked for the usual +2.
[16:39] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /-+/+4 = 4

The flyer brings its shields back up and reinforces them.
[16:40] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, ++//+4 = 6

Passing to Sam! As a note its a new round, so Sam can pass to any other PC.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Sam

The horror from the deep wasn't pushed back for long- hardly long enough for the Mayor to get his bearings before it was rushing at him again!

<Kellsterik> !r fudge+4
<Krysmbot> Kellsterik, -/-++4 = 3
Close Shave succeeds!

It was all he could do just to dodge out of the way, quickstepping back as one blade swiped at his legs a second before the other nicked his glasses. The flyers at his back were the last thing on his mind until that awful resonant hum started up and the air got hot and blue.

<Kellsterik> !r fudge+4
<Krysmbot> Kellsterik, +-/-+4 = 3
<Kellsterik> aah
I'll spend an FP to invoke "100 Pushups, Every Day!" and make that 5. Taking a mild consequence, Deep Blue Sear

Turns out rolling with the punches is one thing, rolling with the eldritch blue disks while also avoiding decapitation is a little trickier. If it hadn't been for his para-psychically enhanced physique intense workout regimen, they might have gone right through him, but as it was he only felt a thudding, burning, heavy pain all over his back- just as well that he couldn't see it for himself, that fading blue tinge was eerie. And the thing with the bladed arms was still right on top of him, not letting up for a second. His face twinging with exertion, Sam gathered his focus as best he could and stomped in a way that made the dome shake. But with the strobe still blaring, on top of his new wounds, he couldn't focus the impact onto the target right in front of him.

Shockwave Punch on blade-arms again to avoid hand-to-hand, if it helps any.
<Kellsterik> !r fudge+4
<Krysmbot> Kellsterik, -/--+4 = 1

Passing to Mariko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sonoda

"Oh, you're just going to push more power into it? Fucker." She stands up, dusts herself off and adjusts her glasses. "Change of plans, Ascalon."

「Yes, master!」

Concentric magic circles manifest under the grounded alien horror as she begins to recite a spell:

"I call on you, Phobos, you who delight in blood, and Deimos, you who delight in terror. Cut the wings from this foul Erinys, bind this Fury in shadows and toss it back to the Night!"

「Black Chains」

Those wings are totally a weak point! Trying to Create an Advantage (hopefully on an existing aspect) by binding them with Lunar Magic:
14:22:35 < Siivola> !r fudge+3
14:22:36 < Krysmbot> Siivola, /++++3 = 6

Boost's turn. If the roll's a success, I'm handing the free invocation to her as well.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 27, 2014

• Locked thread