Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

quote:

Aspects:

Concept: Akathar Idealist
Hacker: Information wants to be free!
Occult: Graffiti Warder
Intrigue: Knight of Cydonia
Omega: Radio Free Barsoom!

Modes:
Hacker +3
Athletics
Contacts
Deceive
Notice
Stealth
Systems

Occult +2
Notice
Will

Intrigue +1
Athletics
Burglary
Contacts
Deceive

Skills:

Notice +5
Deceive +5
Stealth +5
Athletics +4
Contacts +4
Wards +4
Systems +3
Will +2
Burglary +2

Stunts:

Get a Rhythm Going: Spend a Fate point to create the boost Theme Music on the scene. While this aspect is in place, absolutely faster and more athletic than a normal human but at a cost. Invoke the boost to get a +4 on an athletic action.

Spraypaint (it still needs a better name): +2 to Creating Advantages with Wards when you have a surface large enough to tag. Additionally, when creating a Ward with a Ritual you gain one benefit for free (no catch attached) under the same conditions.

Anarchist’s Cookbook: When you create an advantage with the Intrigue mode, you can give it one extra invoke if you also give the GM a free invoke on it.

Deceptive Footwork: Use Deceive instead of Athletics to defend against attacks when you are aware of the attacker.

Stress:

Physical: [][][][]
Mental:[][][]

All right, so I'm finally back somewhere where I can put on my headphones and listen to some tunes, and let me tell you I am definitely feeling like, a sincere desire to tune out and let the beats wash over me. But as much as that would make me feel better right now, there's intel to be gathered here. Call it my need to know, call it that I'm a nosy bitch, I don't care, but right now I can hear there's some kind of bureaucratic pissing match going on.

So I let everyone think I'm slipping my headphones on to groove, and I quickly load in a nice little daemon I have on hand for exactly this kind of thing, and let the software do the work. Soon enough I'll be listening to the audio feed from the next room, finding out just what exactly the noise is all about, and my daemon will drop a recording of it onto my own local system, too, just in case any of it is good enough for Radio Free Barsoom. Sometimes I drop samples into a nice little remix. That can be pretty funny. Right now, though, I'm just getting a feel for things, so I close my eyes, and groove along to an imaginary beat so nobody susses out what I'm actually up to. Most of them probably think I'm just a dumb kid anyway, right?

[15:25] <Morphball>: Ridley: systems: 2 = 4dF(-,+,-,x)+3

...what the actual gently caress. Seriously? My daemon reports back that it's unable to pick up a feed. Not that it's unable to breach the systems security--that it's unable to pick up a feed.

Scowling, I slip off my headphones, slip my hands into my pockets, and sulk. Guess we'll be doing things all cave-man style out here.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

See, this is one of the many reasons I really don't get along with Cyrus. Lazy rear end! Do your own digging. Not, of course, that he's wrong--assuming I can get a half-decent connection in all this poo poo and stone-aged rear end-end of nowhere, I can do a bit more digging to find out more than what's in the 'official' files. Dirty secrets, skeletons in closets, political leanings, their cloud music accounts...

Not that Doc Dingbat over there is going to get any of it if I have anything to say about it.

"Not your personal secretary, rear end in a top hat," I mutter, a bit belated.

Then I start getting to work on data mining.

[00:36] <Morphball>: Ridley: systems to get digging deets: 1 = 4dF(x,x,-,-)+3

Not. Exactly. Easy. Not out here in the middle of a storm with the poor-as-hell connection.
Good thing I'm patient.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

"Hey we should probably establish some kind of best practices before we head in here, like, y'know, not going off on our own. If you lose sight of your partner, radio everyone else immediately even if it turns out to be a false alarm. That kind of poo poo." I've seen enough horror vids with this setup to be savvy to the basic safety precautions. Not that I figure anyone is going to listen to me on this one. Hell, Doctor Wack-job over there's already pretty close to one of the creature-feature nasties that inevitably eat everyone but the clever heroine. That's me, by the way.

Of course I also have some less basic safety precautions in mind - whether or not we end up finding indication that it's needed I fully intend to get some tags down early on to give us at least some protection, and I have my spraypaint ready to go for just that.

Assuming that there's air and poo poo inside to work with.

poo poo.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

All right, there's got to be some kind of terminal or wireless access out here that I can link into to get an idea what's behind of this door. If the storm isn't interfering too badly with the signal. If the whole place isn't as stone-age as the rest of the drat operation has been so far. If these idiots who welded their own airlock shut didn't smash their computer systems too.

A whole lotta ifs. I'm really starting to dislike this job, Dear Viewers.

[17:51] <Morphball>: Ridley: systems: 3 = 4dF(x,x,+,-)+3

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

"Gotcha. All right, so either there's nobody still here or they've intentionally turned off their tracking. I can get everything back up and running from the control room and I can get these doors unlocked once we get past the front lock. Things have been on standby for the past two and a bit days. Intentionally. I think caution is the word of the day here, don't you?"

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 28, 2014

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

"I love that the assumption here is that the problem came from outside," I observe blandly, following Sonoda up the stairs. "It's so cute that everyone figures nothing wrong could have happened and they couldn't have intentionally turned it off..."

Heading for the control room is the only thing that makes sense to do at the moment. Still, I'm going to let Sonoda lead if she wants to.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

Right. Let the rest of the team stumble around blindly looking for clues as to what happened here. As for me, dear viewers, I'll go straight to the source. Getting all the systems back up and running here should be pretty drat simple, just a matter of poo poo gently caress drat.

"Well, I know why they disassembled the drat computer system," I mutter in irritation.

Too bad for them they unleashed this thing. Too bad for it, I'm better than it is. There's a pretty straightforward way to deal with a threat like this. First, you keep your cool.

I slip my headphones on, and turn the volume to max. Cool: check.

Second, you isolate the little fucker, to contain the damage to noncritical sectors. Oh yeah, I can do that. The rhythm of the music keeps me focused and gets me into the groove - you know me, dear viewers, you've seen me work, you know I can do this.

I can do this.

[02:01] <Morphball>: Ridley: to isolate and contain: 3 = 4dF(+,x,x,-)+3

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

All right, so I didn't actually expect the drat thing to be stopped so easily. That's fine, though, because I also wasn't done. Getting into the beats now. This little bastard's going to find that it's got fewer and fewer avenues of escape...

[20:20] <Morphball>: Ridley: Systems, again.: 2 = 4dF(x,-,-,+)+3

I hope.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

This thing is getting me mad. Just as I'm about to lose my temper, the big man's encouragement arrives.

I'd be madder if he wasn't such a drat nice guy.

But he's counting on me. They all are. Get it together, Boost!

[22:56] <Morphball>: Ridley: Boost is cutting this drat thing off and locking it in a box.: 3 = 4dF(+,-,x,x)+3
[22:56] <Ridley>: NOW going to apply the +2

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

Seriously. No sooner have I deleted the cyber-demon than an actual loving weird thing shows up looking like it wants to ruin my day.

Seriously.

I just really do not want to be hit by whatever the hell it is it's doing right now. Good thing I already have my beats going. Maybe if I get some dance on it'll confuse this thing's targeting?

[22:14] <Morphball>: Ridley: athletics to stay the hell out of this thing's way, maybe confuse it with some rapid movements: 5 = 4dF(+,-,+,x)+4

Using a Fate Point to activate Theme Music and invoking the boost for a +4 to Athletics, for 9 total.

[22:31] <Morphball>: Ridley: confusin' dance moves: 6 = 4dF(+,x,-,+)+5

+2 for a boost, so 8 total.

That thing is Confused by Boost's moves.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 22, 2014

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Boost

This thing looks like some kind of wacky alien machine. If it's a robot, then there's a computer in there, and there hasn't been a computer made that I can't hack.

I hope.

[17:59] <Morphball>: Ridley: Boost is the best hacker around though.: 2 = 4dF(+,-,-,x)+3
[18:00] <Ridley>: you'll rue the day Morphy.
[18:00] <Ridley>: But it's been bound
[18:00] <Ridley>: so that's +2
[18:00] <Ridley>: from my pal Sonoda
[18:00] <Ridley>: so 4.

A boost has been generated, and the thing I just hacked can go next.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I am the worst at being knowing what.

• Locked thread