Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
They released a limited edition war bond thats worse than the other options lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

wjs5 posted:

They released a limited edition war bond thats worse than the other options lol.
War Bonds have been poo poo for a very long time. Amazingly, a sample warbond in their news feed is 11%, while in reality, they top out at something like 5%

So loving dumb.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
New quality of life update is out. We now get support exp and better bicycle placement, thank god.

The best news however is that they plan on moving towards War Thunder -like tank damage mechanic. They will never get to it, but even half way would be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S8jj9Q5AHM

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Still dislike many of the spawn points, particularly on the city map.

Also, their new-ish site is complete poo poo now. No search function?!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I feel very conflicted. It seem as if every change brings something good, but then rolls back something or other to the garbage can. Removing the kill cam was a long time coming, and I hiss at everyone in chat who dares to complain. The spawn points are better located, but now enclosed in building and compounds, which makes them hilariously easy to camp. The town map is particularly bad at 01-02 spawns.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Reto should focus their efforts of getting more content out than constant game balance changes.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
The number one thing asked for is new maps, so of course they just change old maps.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

wjs5 posted:

The number one thing asked for is new maps, so of course they just change old maps.

The major ones are completely remade from scratch, and they all feel new and fresh, to me at least. Elevation changes, proper walls, greenery and river crossings, are all major and awesome improvements. Spawn points, eh. Can't win them all

So I finally made my way to a Hellcat and holy loving poo poo, that thing is a cheat code. Insane movement speed, especially reverse speed, unlimited gun depression, amazing optics and fast projectiles. It's like someone said "gently caress balance, I wanna win" and made that.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 1, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Ladies and gentleman, the US army.

Sadly, I didn't capture the erst. But he went on to call me a trump supporter, threatened to gut me like a fish and then kill my family. I minute later I ran him over with my tank. He just quit. All of that because the game forced our squad to relocate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 10, 2016

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
People can play this game for months on end and still have no idea how it works. Especially the whiny bitches with the good old, "loving Generals always send us in with poo poo." I ask them if they even own a single AT and then silence fills the chat.

It's funny and sad. I'd bet 95% or more of this game's player-base has no exposure to the war map with the exception of playing in war battles through the queue. I wonder how much of Reto's funding is generated by the map, because it seems like unless it is a big $$$ draw, which it might be, it is near-useless for most players. It must bring in cash from whales.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
To be honest, facing tanks with nothing but foot infantry gets real old, real fast. Even with AT. Especially when you come across an open area and have to storm an entrenched position.

Just another day, we were holding E line against the USSR on a peninsula town map, whatever it's called now. Church/Police Station, you know what I mean. I parked my HE-equipped Hellcat at the beginning of the bridge, which is excellent observation spot on road/bridge/river crossing. Soviets came at us with bikes, jeeps, PTRD's and god knows what else. We killed them all. All 320 or so infantry in under 30 minutes, what a slaughter. I had something like 80 kills myself, some jeeps were carrying 3-4 guys, trying to storm my bridge position, just to flank E4 or even get to town. Only the ones who swam across way further upstream were successful, but they couldn't do much. I've lost a few tanks to PTRDs and stickies, but that's peanuts. My squadmate was actually repairing faster than PTRDs could reload. All while I was raining HE rounds into the treeline. In the end we had 3 Hellcats doing this exact thing in that same spot, I was like a full on artillery barrage, woods were on fire.

Sending limited infantry against Tank/Recon/APC equipped map is an act of dumbassery.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
You can throw infantry down a line to stall forward progress of an enemy assault on the map to get other ATs out of a trap or to buy time for reinforcements. If that ends up becoming a game people are forced to play, yeah, that can suck, but there was a legitimate purpose to send the infantry in. People in game don't realize that and think it was a battle the general wanted and hoped to win.

The situation you described is a pain in the rear end and often demoralizes the team. But, I'd say your tank-mates were likely more coordinated than the average... and, once you get that bridge for even a moment, the tanks lose their advantage as soon as you get onto 01/02. Paras can ignore them completely.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How do I quickly get to the actual war part of the game? Also the op's a little outdated.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Stairmaster posted:

How do I quickly get to the actual war part of the game? Also the op's a little outdated.
You need overall game progress to reach a certain level. It's gated so noob tubes with freshly minted garants don't clutter war battles, and waste resources.
Click on a roman numeral somewhere on screen, it'll take you to your account progress page.

Also, RETO just raised price on fresh unit purchase across the board, recon price is now x3 of what it used to be. Merry Christmas

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Nitrox posted:

You need overall game progress to reach a certain level. It's gated so noob tubes with freshly minted garants don't clutter war battles, and waste resources.
Click on a roman numeral somewhere on screen, it'll take you to your account progress page.

Also, RETO just raised price on fresh unit purchase across the board, recon price is now x3 of what it used to be. Merry Christmas

Wow, so does that make the people with old units that can switch around even better?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Those went up in price as well I believe. I'm not motivated enough to double check. Stopped playing this garbage fire after they hosed up planes in the last update, flying was like 60% of the things I enjoyed doing

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Those went up in price as well I believe. I'm not motivated enough to double check. Stopped playing this garbage fire after they hosed up planes in the last update, flying was like 60% of the things I enjoyed doing

Yeah I tried flying it was pretty pants on head, dont get me wrong some people were really good at it. However it didnt match like any other games flying.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

wjs5 posted:

Yeah I tried flying it was pretty pants on head, dont get me wrong some people were really good at it. However it didnt match like any other games flying.

Did you try flying before or after the update? Pre-update, I was one of those really good people. I've fought and won against 2-4 enemy planes routinely, put bombs in doorways and strafed infantry like it ain't no thang. Now it's horrible. They've tried to copy War Thunder controls, but stopped halfway and decided to integrate with what they already have. I'll spare you the details, but the only people who need to worry about planes now are paratroopers. Because bombing and strafing is really hard, tedious and expensive now. I played a few matches today. Pilot sports are now virtually ignored, it's all ground game now.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Did you try flying before or after the update? Pre-update, I was one of those really good people. I've fought and won against 2-4 enemy planes routinely, put bombs in doorways and strafed infantry like it ain't no thang. Now it's horrible. They've tried to copy War Thunder controls, but stopped halfway and decided to integrate with what they already have. I'll spare you the details, but the only people who need to worry about planes now are paratroopers. Because bombing and strafing is really hard, tedious and expensive now. I played a few matches today. Pilot sports are now virtually ignored, it's all ground game now.

Sorry I thought I put in before the update, I havent tried it since as I just crashed or didnt do anything worth while. I disliked the plane balance before but making them unplayable isnt the answer.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
So is there a mumble or a discord or something I should use to hook up with other goons in this stupid game? Unless you aren't playing US, you loving nazis.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Halman posted:

So is there a mumble or a discord or something I should use to hook up with other goons in this stupid game? Unless you aren't playing US, you loving nazis.

I dont think enough play on the reg to warrant that, also what if I want to be a commie instead? (Better red and dead)

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

wjs5 posted:

I dont think enough play on the reg to warrant that, also what if I want to be a commie instead? (Better red and dead)

Johnny 5! Did our time in Easy 8's mean nothing to you? Anyway I sent you a friend request. And held my nose while joining the russians.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'll go back and play after plane update hits. They promised to unfuck the controls and give us 3 new flying machines. Should be interesting

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Halman posted:

Johnny 5! Did our time in Easy 8's mean nothing to you? Anyway I sent you a friend request. And held my nose while joining the russians.

Funny enough the Tommies get easy eights if I remember right. I guess I should log in and accept =V

For real though play what ever side you want, the ruskies have a pretty bad pop disadvantage last time I played.

wjs5 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 31, 2017

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
How are the new planes?

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Nitrox posted:

How are the new planes?

I glanced at it, I need to try to fly agian. I am not a pilot of yore though.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Well, I bought a Curtis p40 and took to the skies. Holy poo poo, flying is back on the menu!

Curtis flies like a Yak, but instead of cannons, has 6 20mm MGs and... SIX bombs. The scrubby recon planes have bombs now, so they are not as useless as before. Heavy class fighters are murder machines, but you get a pretty penny for shutting them down. I made 30k in 1 battle.

I strongly suggest everyone buy a scrub recon plane and practice flying. It's super cheap now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjy5hPSWgcc

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

New flying mode + the fact that my pilot only has the expensive US plane = expensive learning :D

I need to fix keys so I can force the plane up or down, otherwise I like the camera mode quite a bit.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
I gave flying a shot, can do normal flying stuff. I may need to mess with the controls some more tough seems a little uh floaty.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Learn to fly on a recon plane, they are dirt cheap and rather hilariously underpowered. Keep trying different controls, find what's best for you.

I love my Owl, and do great things with it. Unfortunately HE ammo is pretty useless, stay with AP

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Learn to fly on a recon plane, they are dirt cheap and rather hilariously underpowered. Keep trying different controls, find what's best for you.

I love my Owl, and do great things with it. Unfortunately HE ammo is pretty useless, stay with AP

Unless they massively nerfed HE ammo it is amazing and lets you straight murder gently caress infantry and pilots.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Infantry, yes. Pilots, no. The scout plane cockpits are somehow protected from HE fire unless it's at specific angle, depends on a plane. Soviet plane has top covered cockpit, and shooting it from behind only dings the tailgunner. You either shoot it from the front, or not at all. German is a bit easier, but still, cumbersome. Considering that it takes 2 seconds of sustained APCR fire to melt a scout plane, the HE ammo isn't worth the effort in a dogfight.

I have 2 pilots, one HE and other is APCR so I can switch mid-battle.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Infantry, yes. Pilots, no. The scout plane cockpits are somehow protected from HE fire unless it's at specific angle, depends on a plane. Soviet plane has top covered cockpit, and shooting it from behind only dings the tailgunner. You either shoot it from the front, or not at all. German is a bit easier, but still, cumbersome. Considering that it takes 2 seconds of sustained APCR fire to melt a scout plane, the HE ammo isn't worth the effort in a dogfight.

I have 2 pilots, one HE and other is APCR so I can switch mid-battle.

HE works great against the other two plane types though and if its soo easy to kill scouts you can just use the MG. I am of course discussing war where you dont just fight even matches. Oh no it doesnt work as good vs scout planes that are slow and garbage what will I do in my fighter.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So what's the best infantry based AT right now that doesn't break the bank?

I still miss free shells in my bazooka.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Bondematt posted:

So what's the best infantry based AT right now that doesn't break the bank?

I still miss free shells in my bazooka.

I would say H3's but im biased.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
H3's are the cheapest I think. Wiki puts them at $260 per unit, with bazooka rounds $267, stickies/rpg43 $360, and lawn darts (ger only) $380 each.

Taking out a heavy tanks nets you something around $800, starting tanks are nearly worthless. I believe it you get whatever the amount it takes to spawn a tank, so go after heavies and top tiers. You will spend about 3 items to destroy heavy, 2-3 to destroy medium and 2 to gently caress around with light armor. I said 2, because neither of the top tier1 tanks will go down in 1 shot, unless you have explosives badge maxed.

Best AT tactic is the following:

Have bazooka equipped.
Spawn a jeep with panzerfaust crate.
Grab 1 faust from box before leaving spawn.
Drive up to an enemy tank, fire the faust in your hands, then immediately fire the faust from spawn box.
That kills Tier1 starter tanks.
For expensive Tier1 and above (L3, t70, m24) fire your bazooka round to finish them off.
The above combination is enough to remove any armor other than top tier heavy from existence.
You've spent about $300 to earn $150-800, add 1 more bazooka shot if you see a JUmbo/Pershing/KV1/Tiger

Knowing all of the above, it's best to have a dedicated AT infantry, who is equipped with proper badges, which really helps you to conserve ordinance. Just switch to him, when enemy tanks are worth pursuing, then go back to your kick rear end MG infantry guy.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

wjs5 posted:

I would say H3's but im biased.
H3 is cheapest and reliable, but have longest deploy time. I've pulled away from infantry in my Hellcat, not giving them opportunity to plant more than 1. As an AT infantry, that poo poo drove me up the wall. You don't get paid for damaging the tank, just the kill. I have stickies equipped on main infantry dude, they double as room clearing device.

Fastest deploy time is PANZERWURFMINE (L), about 4 in under 2 seconds. But when I take 3-4 of those kills, I die with a smile, knowing that some idiot just spent $1200 to kill my tank.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Nitrox posted:

H3's are the cheapest I think. Wiki puts them at $260 per unit, with bazooka rounds $267, stickies/rpg43 $360, and lawn darts (ger only) $380 each.

Taking out a heavy tanks nets you something around $800, starting tanks are nearly worthless. I believe it you get whatever the amount it takes to spawn a tank, so go after heavies and top tiers. You will spend about 3 items to destroy heavy, 2-3 to destroy medium and 2 to gently caress around with light armor. I said 2, because neither of the top tier1 tanks will go down in 1 shot, unless you have explosives badge maxed.

Best AT tactic is the following:

Have bazooka equipped.
Spawn a jeep with panzerfaust crate.
Grab 1 faust from box before leaving spawn.
Drive up to an enemy tank, fire the faust in your hands, then immediately fire the faust from spawn box.
That kills Tier1 starter tanks.
For expensive Tier1 and above (L3, t70, m24) fire your bazooka round to finish them off.
The above combination is enough to remove any armor other than top tier heavy from existence.
You've spent about $300 to earn $150-800, add 1 more bazooka shot if you see a JUmbo/Pershing/KV1/Tiger

Knowing all of the above, it's best to have a dedicated AT infantry, who is equipped with proper badges, which really helps you to conserve ordinance. Just switch to him, when enemy tanks are worth pursuing, then go back to your kick rear end MG infantry guy.

Cool, thank you.

Apparently TANKYTANKY TANK TANK really needs to start Chauffeuring people around, is Iron Fist the best AT badge for that gimmick?

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
I am pretty sure its only 2 H3s for anything. I play rus primarily and there thrown AT is pure garbage or it was when I tried it so I tried to use it least amount possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I routinely drive away in my Jumbo/Tiger2/IS2 from people like you, who place 2 H3s and fall back. Medium tanks, yeah. Not the big boys

• Locked thread