Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.
At a distance the ju52 sometimes looks like a c47 so as a fighter pilot I've may have shot down one or two before by accident

Whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Anyone know why sometimes my tank driver can't participate even though we have a light armor division with us?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Tanreall posted:

Anyone know why sometimes my tank driver can't participate even though we have a light armor division with us?

The light tank division is already full, they only allow 3 drivers each.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
The MP40 is hilarious. Go into room and mow down everyone. It burns through ammo like a motherfucker though.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I've ghosted one guy on my team before because he had a PPSh-41 so I could scoop it up when he died. That thing was pretty cool

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
I'd suggest not buying the PPSh-41. It's no where near as good as the MP40 or the Thompson and it has zero mods.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
http://www.heroesandgenerals.com/community/17965/rommel-feature-generals

Major update to the generals coming.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Anyone have tips for getting your assault teams into fights? I've only been able to get my light tank crew in three and my infantry in zero. I've been moving them around the map but it seems like the front line is full.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

This is amazing, and is exactly what is needed.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

So if I understand this right the people who deploy assault teams are now actually characters on the battlefield and act as an officer commanding it? I can dig it. They're basically working to integrate the strategic map further into gameplay within matches.

Let's just hope there's some benefit for sniping officers that are busy commanding teams. Would make playing a recon infuriating. :getin:

Edit: And if nothing else it'll make it much easier to relieve stress when some idiot deploys two or three guard units against a loving blitzkrieg. Now you can actually get face to face with them and call them an idiot for wasting everyone's time! Or just play a rousing game of "frag the commander" until the match ends. Or take them on a scenic biking tour of the countryside so they don't get any points. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 1, 2014

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm not so sure. The General character doesn't directly participate in battle, so this kind of sounds like a changed system for how you deploy and use ATs in the Generals screen. Which I really hope isn't the case because making that even more difficult to use and get going would be the worst thing. Hopefully it's a more Battlefield-inspired system where a officer commands troops in battle like a RTS or something, but the article skimps on that detail.

That's a lot of rank grinding to turn into a General, though. Especially if you then lose all the ribbons and equipment you got on that character. That'll hurt.

Still, updates and work on the Generals side of things is sorely needed. Even in the worst outcome it'll reduce the spam.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm not so sure. The General character doesn't directly participate in battle, so this kind of sounds like a changed system for how you deploy and use ATs in the Generals screen. Which I really hope isn't the case because making that even more difficult to use and get going would be the worst thing. Hopefully it's a more Battlefield-inspired system where a officer commands troops in battle like a RTS or something, but the article skimps on that detail.

That's a lot of rank grinding to turn into a General, though. Especially if you then lose all the ribbons and equipment you got on that character. That'll hurt.

Still, updates and work on the Generals side of things is sorely needed. Even in the worst outcome it'll reduce the spam.

It sounds like you can play as an officer up until a certain rank. While choosing to play as an officer you can command your team directly in the match at the cost of only being able to deploy teams that are the same character type as the officer. IE: A tank officer can't go about fielding mechanized infantry teams or basic infantry. However when you hit a certain rank you can transform that officer into a general. Generals can't participate in battles but can field teams from any tree.

Which means you have to choose between two different play styles with specific pros and cons. Either you're able to directly command the teams you have fielded while not being able to field the team trees that counter you, or you're not able to directly command the teams you have fielded while being able to cover for the weaknesses of each assault team type by fielding teams outside your initial tree.

It sounds like a clever way of improving the system that encourages more teamwork on the strategic and tactical levels. I could see a group of officers getting together and fielding/directly commanding the units out of each tree they're a part of to counter the loss of flexibility they have compared to a general. By contrast generals are more about sperging about the overall strategic metagame instead of being down in the action leading a team.

Of course they just gave us a preview. So they could always gently caress some part of the actual execution of all of that. So we'll see how it turns out.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 1, 2014

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
How will match making work with this new system? If I'm an officer and I want to command my paratroops do I have to have my own AT at the battlefield?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
We'll see when the next build arrives and i hope they bother putting in more maps than the 5 or so existing ones.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

:smith:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Can somebody blackmail the devs so that they make the damage like RO2?

Tia.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Vahakyla posted:

Can somebody blackmail the devs so that they make the damage like RO2?

Tia.

No.

edit: everyone burnt out or something? Only one in mumble =~(

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 3, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Been playing this a bit, seems a good amount of fun for a free game. I have a couple of questions, though:

- What the hell is a deploying queue and why do I have to wait again after waiting for the battle to start?
- Is there anything shared between soldiers? I have a feeling that leveling up a German scout won't help when playing a USA tank driver, for example.
- Are machineguns more useful than semi-auto and bolt action rifles in general? When shooting people from far away they usually take three or four shots unless I get lucky and score a headshot, which is enough for them to run away. In close fights, however, a rifle shot isn't enough to one-shot anything, and the delay in shooting is usually fatal.*

*It may be that I cannot aim for poo poo.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Fat Samurai posted:

- What the hell is a deploying queue and why do I have to wait again after waiting for the battle to start?

The deploying queue was added to even out completely unfair fights where one side has more than two players over the other side, resulting in some very one-sided and unfun fights.

Fat Samurai posted:

- Is there anything shared between soldiers? I have a feeling that leveling up a German scout won't help when playing a USA tank driver, for example.

Nope.

Fat Samurai posted:

- Are machineguns more useful than semi-auto and bolt action rifles in general? When shooting people from far away they usually take three or four shots unless I get lucky and score a headshot, which is enough for them to run away. In close fights, however, a rifle shot isn't enough to one-shot anything, and the delay in shooting is usually fatal.*

Machineguns are way better than semi-autos at everything, bolt-actions only lose if they haven't been modded into OHK railguns and even then, MGs are way more versatile.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Fat Samurai posted:

Been playing this a bit, seems a good amount of fun for a free game. I have a couple of questions, though:

You can upgrade the bolt action rifles to be a one hit kill, and semi-auto to do the job in two in most situations except long ranges, but the ammo costs get expensive.

Obviously the machine guns are not so good at long ranges, but win fights at close and sometimes medium ranges. I find it depends on the map on if i take my bolt action guy or my machine gun guy. Maps like the airfield where you are plinking at people 2-300m away call for some bolt action goodness, but maps like the factory one often involve storming through buildings and shooting up close.

For the map with the church & police station, I tend to use my bolt action for the earlier stages while fighting over the bridges and river crossings, and then when I get on/past the bridges I tend to switch to my machine gun guy

The MP34 isn't very good, but the MP40, MG34 and MG42 are pretty decent at shooting people

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 4, 2014

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

I learned its much faster to make XP and Money by just playing skirmish missions because they last 5-10 minutes on average, and you still get a full reward as long as you play.
If you want to grind up ribbons, play airfield or factory defensive map.

edit: If you also see a Hetzer tank destroyer without someone manning the machine gun hop in. It has a MG42 on a 360 swivel, and it decimates infantry.

Thesoldier fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 4, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Getting a tank with some real cannons is great. Pity my infantry can't stay still for five minutes to defend the drat house in the Rail Station map.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I played this game for awhile when it first came out, and generally abandoned it since the action portion was fairly boring. Everyone ran with MGs, pretty much. Has the game evolved a bunch since then?

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

With the new war im tired of the long queue times, I'm going allies this one.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...
I play this game. Well, since yesterday. I dig it, maybe I'll hop on Mumble... Though I've never seen the choice to pick a server? Julius? Wtf....

Fighter/Bomb Protip: If you aren't dive bombing you are doing it wrong. There is no way to tell where a ballistic object will hit when at and random values of alt and speed, not reliably in a firefight anyway.

Oh look, the devs agree with me. http://www.heroesandgenerals.com/community/15818/half-the-battle-aces-high

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Since the war ended this morning I haven't been able to even play the game. You need to wait for the amount of online players to drop below 4000 to join a faction, and since the numbers are way more even this time that won't happen for at least a few hours.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
If you join the allies do you keep your poo poo? Or at least get equivalent weapons? Or is it another grind?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Characters are faction specific, so you'd have to make a new character for Allies and grind up all their stuff. You'd keep money, though! That's something!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What is the goon hive doing as of server and faction?

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

Characters are faction specific, so you'd have to make a new character for Allies and grind up all their stuff. You'd keep money, though! That's something!

Welp gently caress that. Joing Ze Germans again.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Looks like we are playing in the Julius Campaign, as German, they also increased the population for each side to 6000, thats 12000 total now.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
I went US this time and I immediately regret that decision. Normally on the German side no one would say much and people would just try and cap points. US teams on the other hand are dysfunctional as all hell and every US player is chatty Cathy sitting on a hill trying to be a sniper. This then erupts into a bunch of name calling and then blaming the loss on other people or the accuracy of German rifles.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I'm surprised this game isn't full of actual Nazis like every other WW2 game.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Tanreall posted:

I went US this time and I immediately regret that decision. Normally on the German side no one would say much and people would just try and cap points. US teams on the other hand are dysfunctional as all hell and every US player is chatty Cathy sitting on a hill trying to be a sniper. This then erupts into a bunch of name calling and then blaming the loss on other people or the accuracy of German rifles.

This is why I suggested we go German back during the last war. Many of the allied soldiers want to be a pro MLG sniper and not push points. And most of the allied generals think that fielding a bunch of infantry is a heroic escapade instead of suicide when matched against German armor. This leads to the allies often losing matches even when they have an edge, since half the team is filled with idiots who either can't play or spend more time complaining than playing when they start to lose.

Griz posted:

This is really loving bizarre given how every other WW2 game is. The one or two i've seen appear to be fetishizing about their blitzkriegs in the browser based global chat rather than actually playing the combat portion of the game. Though maybe this will change with the officers revamp.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 6, 2014

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Well at least I won't have to be US for long. This war will probably be over in the next 4 days.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Griz posted:

A few names I've seen off the top of my head:
JewChainz
MengeleLampMaker
Adolf1488
etc

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 7, 2014

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
Free weekend of veteran account status, now's a good time to play if you want more moneys.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Jesus, I just took a look at the Campaign map, we're pretty drat close to boxing London in.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 8, 2014

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Robzilla posted:

Jesus, I just took a look at the Campaign map, we're pretty drat close to boxing London in.

That's pretty much how every war since the major tank update has gone so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Robzilla posted:

Serves the US right for invading Europe :smug:
I haven't got to using Medium and Heavy tanks. Are the German M/H's straight up better than US ones? I'm used to US tanks having the edge over German using the Light ones.

• Locked thread