Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Been playing so more. This is fun but it's horribly programmed/optimized. The game stutters quite a lot in a computer that plays The Witcher II without a hiccup, sometimes changes my textures to really low resolution for no reason and one time it crashed so hard that I had to reinstall Steam :psyduck:

Anyone else is having similar problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
I get the texture problem every now and again but I haven't had any stutter or crashing issues. Make sure your drivers are up to date and if they are file a report and hope for the best.

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006

Croccers posted:

Serves the US right for invading Europe :smug:
I haven't got to using Medium and Heavy tanks. Are the German M/H's straight up better than US ones? I'm used to US tanks having the edge over German using the Light ones.

Except for the M3 Lee, both medium tank lineups are competitive. The Lee can be competitive, but you need a gunner for the turret and to bring the main gun to bear quickly. Generally whichever tank surprises the other wins.

I can't speak from personal experience on the heavies, but from what I've heard it goes King Tiger >> Pershing >> Tiger.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Croccers posted:

Serves the US right for invading Europe :smug:
I haven't got to using Medium and Heavy tanks. Are the German M/H's straight up better than US ones? I'm used to US tanks having the edge over German using the Light ones.

In the Mediums the US has the M4A3E8 Sherman, which is a higher tier than the Panzer IV Ausf. H. The Pz. 4 doesn't have a ton of trouble with it, but it is better overall. For heavy tanks, the Germans have the Tiger II which wrecks the Pershing, and the Tiger I which apparently sucks. Also I've been killed in my Pz. 4 by a M2A2 from the rear. It made me really sad :smith:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I haven't played much yet, but I have gotten my first soldier to 250 points, and got him a 1/4 ton truck. Awesome. Now I don't have to steal a bicycle, the children won't hate me quite so much.

Is it supposed to take 3 hits to put a soldier down with a rifle, or am I doing something wrong? Are ammo upgrades worth it to try to increase the stopping power a bit? I usually can get the drop on someone but at the range I usually engage, I can't reliably hit the head. So I'm aiming for the body and it takes a few shots to put them down.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

SquadronROE posted:

I haven't played much yet, but I have gotten my first soldier to 250 points, and got him a 1/4 ton truck. Awesome. Now I don't have to steal a bicycle, the children won't hate me quite so much.

Is it supposed to take 3 hits to put a soldier down with a rifle, or am I doing something wrong? Are ammo upgrades worth it to try to increase the stopping power a bit? I usually can get the drop on someone but at the range I usually engage, I can't reliably hit the head. So I'm aiming for the body and it takes a few shots to put them down.

The starter rifle is kind of lovely until upgraded. It's real strength is boosting damage and single shot accuracy so you can one shot someone via upgrades. At which point if you're good enough the game becomes a point and click adventure through WW2.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Archonex posted:

The starter rifle is kind of lovely until upgraded. It's real strength is boosting damage and single shot accuracy so you can one shot someone via upgrades. At which point if you're good enough the game becomes a point and click adventure through WW2.

Ha, that sounds great. So I should upgrade barrel and ammunition, going for damage?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SquadronROE posted:

Ha, that sounds great. So I should upgrade barrel and ammunition, going for damage?

Damage and precision. Problem is, you're going to need a lot of kills before you have access to the upgrades.

I'd rather grab a machinegun and go to town. The second tier MG tears poo poo up even unmodded.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

How do I unlock the MG? Just kill more?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Steal guns, it's a good way to get your hand on mags, which own

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You need certain ribbons/rank to get weapons. You can find out what you need by heading over to the equipment screen and hitting the, uh, plus sign slot to "buy" something. Selecting each one tells you what you need, etc. Or you can buy it with real money, natch.

I don't recommend upgrading your weapons for a long time. Upgrades are both rather expensive and have durability, which means you have to repair them as you use them. You won't be making much dosh if you use them and the differences are honestly pretty minor expect for the bolt action rifles, which can turn into one shot cannons which own. (Don't spring for it, it's even more expensive.)

The game has range drop off and different hitboxes. If you shoot from a distance, yeah, it'll kill a guy in about three torso~ hits, four if you get really unlucky. Otherwise you'll down people in two shots or one headshot. Your starting rifle is a excellent gun! Stick with it. You can pick up other weapons off people's bodies as you play and figure out if it's worth buying, though the tutorial mission does actually give you most of the weapons you can get.

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.
I just started playing this with a friend, and we're having a hell of a good time, although I think the giant "BETA" in the corner is pretty well warranted. The game is a lot of fun, but it definitely needs some further development, I'm interested in seeing how it goes. Have updates been pretty regular/robust?

As far as gameplay, the G43 is definitely a nice starter gun, I've put some upgrades into it and it's performing pretty well. After I got used to the bullet drop and firing at moving targets, I've found the most fun hanging out in ditches and shooting people off bicycles. I also like fully loading a Kubel and storming a point when people will cooperate. Pubbies aren't always interested in actually doing something teamplay-ey. With that said, how active are you goons? It doesn't look like there's any clan type thing implemented (yet?) but squadding up with some more people would be awesome. I should start up Mumble some time.

Also I have no idea if this has been posted before (read: overdone), but I can't play without this song running through my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ6vG0JoG9c

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.
Is the PPSH worth it at all?

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Thesoldier posted:

The few times I tried it I found it to be inferior to the MP40/Thompson.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Holy gently caress Americans are worthless. We never have any armor teams, we can't do teamwork at all (just RUSH TO A/B/C/O1).

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

Thesoldier posted:

I bought it and it's no where near as good as the MP40 or the Thompson. It also lacks upgrades so you're just stuck with the stock gun.

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

There's a hilarious anti-recoil hack that's going around now, I saw a video of a player with an MG42 and he was able to snipe people across the map with it. The sad part is that there's no anti-cheat in this game, so its a question to see how long this lasts.

Bridgeburner_
Oct 23, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Been playing so more. This is fun but it's horribly programmed/optimized. The game stutters quite a lot in a computer that plays The Witcher II without a hiccup, sometimes changes my textures to really low resolution for no reason and one time it crashed so hard that I had to reinstall Steam :psyduck:

Yup, similar issues for me as well. That said, I enjoy the game, finally unlocked the PZ.38(t) and oh man, the cannon is a welcome change from the dinky machine guns on the PZ IA

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Yeah, its just a horrible crappy game, but its the only real good Battlefield 1942 since 1942, or Rising Sun.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

It's not bad once you actually get a decent tank. The M2A2 is not a decent tank, the Stuart is okay.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

It's not bad once you actually get a decent tank. The M2A2 is not a decent tank, the Stuart is okay.

Ok, point taken. The game gets a bit better when you get a good tank to ride around in. Not worth spending more than 50 bux on thou.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

And the Chaffee is the best light tank on both sides

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

The US tanks are pretty much better than the Germans. The Medium Stuart out performs the Panzer 3, 4, Hetzer, and Stug III. The Tiger and King Tiger are way too slow, and get killed by bazookas/mines after it takes 10 minutes just to drive to an objective.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Does anyone know if they're planning on buffing AA at all? Right now it's pretty much useless to hop into AA unless the other side is actively trying to let you shoot them down. It'd be nice to be able to counter airgods with something other than other airgods.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Planes are pretty slow and I've found tank main cannons to be the best AA.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2xpZKgRIgc

Reto-moto did a dev-stream regarding the next build.

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

Me and a friend just started playing, i've got a tanker, he's level 2 - for some reason we can'T squad together anymore.

Does he need to get a higher level or something?

Or can you just not queue infantry with a tanker?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The second thing.
You can squad up as Infantry together so you join a match together, then if there's any empty armour slots in the match he can swap into that.

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.

Triple A posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2xpZKgRIgc

Reto-moto did a dev-stream regarding the next build.

This was interesting. I only started playing about a month ago, so I'm not completely disillusioned (yet), but it sounds like they're still actively involved and developing the game. I've seen a lot of "Yeah that's great, but it's been BETA for 2 years, they're raking in enough from gold sales that the game will never be finished, they'll add piecemeal updates and minor bug fixes if we're lucky, but this is basically the finished game," which is kind of sad, but maybe it's true, especially if this is their very first 'talk with the developers' video. Personally I think the game is fun, but it definitely could use some attention and development.

In other news, I'm a terrible pilot and can't wait til this war is over so I can go back to my DE infantryman. Although, I do have a fun pilot story: Plane gets shot up, I bail out and parachute down behind enemy lines. There's a German on a bicycle about to leave, I whistle and he stops. I didn't buy a gun for my pilot, so all I have is the combat knife. I shank the guy off his bike and steal it and his MG34, cap a point, and get 3 kills before I die. I'm a much better infantryman.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Looks like the newest patch released. Seems interesting so far, haven't played in a while but I might play a bit after work.

Also if you had an assault team they gave you a 3x XP boost for 9 days, at least they gave me one, to try and get one of your guys high enough to use it since assault teams need to be associated with a character now. Unless you already have one high enough but I was leveling too many alts to level just one.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Well you can rack up ridiculous scores now. I just finished a match with a score of 2178 as a paratrooper. I'm not sure if it has to do with some of the point changes or if being a field officer(rank 15) helps. They also gave me a free promotion to rank 15. It wasn't built up exp either since I didn't play much after I hit rank 14.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYG-6D6GpSU

Dev-stream 2 has arrived.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Giving this a try, I was a WW2OL die hard.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

The interface in this game is hot loving garbage.

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.
It's not great! They just changed the in-game capture notifications, and while I like the icons much better than the text ones from before, it's become pretty difficult to tell what exactly is going on. They could definitely do with some revision and player input, cause I don't know where they're getting their ideas.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Geschwafel posted:

It's not great! They just changed the in-game capture notifications, and while I like the icons much better than the text ones from before, it's become pretty difficult to tell what exactly is going on. They could definitely do with some revision and player input, cause I don't know where they're getting their ideas.

I'm bothered less by the battle icons an more perplexed about the screen where you do your weapons, squad inviting and everything else. Whoever did that poo poo needs to get launched into the sun.

A slight aside, I can't even seem to re-queue my group for a battle after being done with one so we have to reform every time. I have no idea if it's user error or if it's their dumb UI having something wrong with it. Everyone readies up and the button stays greyed out.

e: So far that's my only real complaint about it. Gameplay seems pretty okay!

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I just unlocked the internal parts for my scoped M1903 and literally turned into staff sargeant Eater of Worlds, Death Incarnate. After weeks of "What? How did he survive that? Why do I never come out on top?" it felt nice to finally be able to give a little back to the community.

Fake edit: gently caress bazooka ammo prices.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Whyyyy did they think changing the games interface to this one would be better? Jesus just put the old one back in.

Tanreall posted:

Planes are pretty slow and I've found tank main cannons to be the best AA.

Bazookas were surprisingly effective at this too. They go so slow and low while bombing that you should really just be able to shoot them out of the cockpit with a rifle.

Edit: Good to see pubbies are just as bad as ever. Got O2 and O3, might as well go for D2 and C2! What you mean we lost?!

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 4, 2014

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X

Arven posted:

Giving this a try, I was a WW2OL die hard.

Name seems familiar were you bkb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

What's the goon consensus on the M1903A1 scoped? I've maxed out Sniper assault and am currently rolling with Chrome lined barrel, Lightened spring, Marksman's sights MK 1, Marksman trigger jon and Bertie-Clay. Good? Bad? Please enlighten me.

• Locked thread