Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Were you a WCW kid or a WWF kid?
WWF all the way
WCW for life
Neither, I watched ECW
I'm Brodus Clay, I put one tv on top of the other.
View Results

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I was a kid during the Monday Night Wars. All my friends watched WCW (it was the nWo's prime), but I preferred WWF. I was around 5 or 6 when Kane debuted, and he was my favorite wrestler. I still remember watching old PPVs on scramble-o-vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

I wasn't allowed to watch WWF because of all the swears :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Death By Yogurt posted:

I wasn't allowed to watch WWF because of all the swears :(
Good thing your parents never saw who was coming for Hulk Hogan.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

All my friends watched WWF. I was also the only kid who was allowed to watch South Park. The first movie we ever ordered on PPV was Starship Troopers.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
My favorite wrestler in the whole world went to some place called WCW and what's this guardian angel poo poo? :( - Me in 1994

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I was a WCW kid until my hero Sting lost the belt to Savage, who lost it to Hogan, which made me very sad.

Then I gained a new hero, Steve Austin, and I was happy.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
My favorite wrestlers in the Monday Night Wars era were the Disco Inferno and Alex Wright. I regret nothing.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

As a kid I watched the wednesday repeats (I think it was wednesday) of Nitro with my parents, this was late 1999's early 2000's Nitro mind. I never remember watching a RAW or Smackdown but remember watching a lot of Sunday Night Heats, again repeats.

Also on favorite wrestlers of that era, I loved Bam Bam Bigelow. He just looked so cool with the flame head, when I went to my only house show as a kid I took a Bam Bam sign.

I actually just realised that my favorites as a kid where Bam Bam and Viscera, and my current favorite is Bray Wyatt.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

I had the honor of watching WCW at my Grandparents house around the time the nWo was formed. Didn't watch any Attitude Era until later.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
When I was like 4 and 5 I was a huge WCW fan. When the Attitude Era came along though I was all about WWF. I mean of course I would watch the first hour of Nitro, but I remember making fun of WCW main eventers with all of my friends at school. WWF was just cooler. It had bad words, boobs, violence, and Stone Cold. I was like 12 It was perfect for my fun dip addled mind.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
WCW. WWF wasn't even available on TV when I started watching wrestling; WWF wasn't on TV here until just a few months before the Invasion angle, funnily enough.

Though even then, it was only WCW WorldWide, which was a hevaily edited and six-months-out-of-date compilation show, with rerecorded commentary. So I never saw the terrible, bonkers WCW. The very worst they ever put on WorldWide was the occasional high-status gimmick match, like the one where Booker T pulls out the picture of Scott Hall. The majority of the shows were taken up with whatever the cruiserweights had been doing.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also Playstation was cooler than N64 because it had more mature games. Suck it!!!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I watched WCW around 98/99 but only very sparingly. The only memories I have of that period are being a big mark for DDP, The Giant, Ultimo Dragon and Sting in that order. I didn't really get why people liked Goldberg so much (except that I thought he was friends with Giant so he had to be pretty OK) and I didn't get why my friends all had NWO T-shirts because they were the bad guys. But DDP, Giant, Ultimo Dragon and Sting were the coolest and I wanted them to win every match.

The only Pay Per View I ever ordered (other than Event Horizon, I don't know how I convinced my dad to get that) was none other than Road Wild 98 because I loved to stay up late and watch the Tonight Show, so as soon as I heard the words "Diamond Dallas Page and Jay Leno are going to beat up Hulk Hogan," I was throwing my money at the TV. The only other things I remember from that PPV is Public Enemy bringing tables down to their tag match, which started my life-long love of tables betting broken.

Although I played a lot of wrestling videogames I didn't actually watch the show again until 2003 when by total chance I tuned in Raw on the night Triple H returned. Him, Chris Jericho, Ric Flair, The Rock, Stone Cold and Kurt Angle talking about the Royal Rumble absolutely magnetized me and I was onboard from that point forward.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
My gramps was the one that really got me into wrestling. Monday nights switching between Raw and Nitro were a tradition, but this wasn't until 98, maybe 99 so way beyond the point Nitro turned to poo poo. The only memory I have of WCW is seeing a Glacier match and thinking he was cool as gently caress. Even watching Nitro today from 96-97 I can't see how it got an audience at all.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I started as a WWF kid, the first thing I saw wrestling-wise was some Saturday or Sunday morning show. They played the Shawn Michaels "Tell Me a Lie" video. And they kept calling Vader "the man who put Gorilla Monsoon on the shelf." Then when I started getting into it I would do the standard thing of flipping over to Nitro on Mondays. I saw the NWO debut that way, and switched sides for a while. Then WWF started doing the attitude stuff, and once DX was a thing I was back over to them.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
I was a NWA Mid-Atlantic kid. I guess that made me a WCW young adult when Crockett sold to Turner.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I watched both of them and would switch between Raw and Nitro on Monday nights. I didn't really think about the storylines much at the time, I was just interested in whatever show had good action. I was a big fan of weapons matches, those are what got me into wrestling to begin with. It just cracked me the hell up whenever wrestlers went at each other with ridiculous weapons like trash cans, metal signs, and kendo sticks. Looking back I think I enjoyed WWF more.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
I grew up watching an hour of Stampede Wrestling, then WWF Superstars. NWA/WWF was just on TBS, which was a pay channel. I knew it existed, but I wasn't able to watch. Once the Monday night wars were going, I was more on the WWF side, though I watched both. I was a Stampede kid first, then a WWF kid.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i was a wrestling kid

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I was a WWF teen I guess, since I didn't get into wrestling until I was working my first job and a workmate kept going on and on about the Rock and Stone Cold. Luckily my parents had cable so I got to watch the Aussie broadcast of Raw on Tuesday nights.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was a WWF kid because we didn't get any NWA stuff on television. Then they put WWF on pay TV only so for years I saw no wrestling at all. Then WCW came on in time for the Monday Night Wars and I watched that and thought it was awful. Then WWF came back and it was just so much better in terms of presentation (WCW felt so amateurish and shoddy by comparison), so WWF all the way.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I definitely started with WCW. Juvi was my favorite wrestler up until he lost his mask. I hated Jericho...then I started loving Jericho. I had a friend whose parents would pay for every PPV though, so I got more and more into WWF. Thought Kane was the poo poo. Not sure when exactly I fully switched, but I stopped watching altogether not long before the invasion angle til 2005ish because of reading WH2K. Probably not my best decision.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

WCW Kid up until the Finger Poke of Doom. Then my Dad and I were basically like "gently caress this company" and watched WWF/E.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

When I was little it was WWF all the way, (Junk Yard Dog, Killer Bees, George the animal Steele etc.), but when I was in high school we got OptusVision, and WWF was on Foxtel, so we watched WCW. I really REALLY loved Jericho as the conspiracy victim, and with Ralphus.

My parents only ever bought 1 PPV, (the World War 3 where Nash wins), but I remember watching a lot of Nitros, and saw the Nitro where they replayed the Goldberg vs DDP match for free. It was cool.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I watched the first hour of Nitro, the first 20 minutes of Raw, flipped back and forth, then watched the last 20 minutes of Raw.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
Nitro came on at 9 every Friday after Cartoon Network ended.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I never watched Nitro because it didn't have Goldust.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
WWF cause of the Hardys really.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

We flipped channels pretty much, but I thought WCW was better because we lived in Atlanta.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
How is there no nWo option? What about the people who were 4 Lyfe?

WCW was better, there's scientific proof. Vince cheated or something I think.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Psychlone posted:

I grew up watching an hour of Stampede Wrestling, then WWF Superstars. NWA/WWF was just on TBS, which was a pay channel. I knew it existed, but I wasn't able to watch. Once the Monday night wars were going, I was more on the WWF side, though I watched both. I was a Stampede kid first, then a WWF kid.

Same - I was never really a WWF kid though, really more of a Bret Hart kid and haven't really watched WWF/WWE regularly since. I legit liked a lot of the guys WCW had better, too even if the nWo angle was going downhill by that point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jason Sextro posted:

really more of a Bret Hart kid

:cool::hf::c00l:

When I started watching WWF again, Bret was supposedly the heel and Shawn Michaels was the face. The hell with that, I was supporting Bret "Canada's Hero" Hart.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I actually stopped watching at the beginning of the Monday Night War but I was a WWF kid all the way up til then. I liked all the ridiculous gimmicks like Papa Shango and IRS but I also liked horrible wrestlers like Adam Bomb so really I don't trust my own taste

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
NWO 4 life

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Preteen - WWF first due to location but I discovered WCW about a year later and liked both equally before stopping watching wrestling completely in '93.

Teenager - discovered wrestling again in early 1998. WCW hooked me back in with Goldberg and the Jericho/Malenko feud. Watched WWF and ECW occasionally but was mainly a WCW fan until the Fingerpoke. Then I mainly stuck to the other two and within a few months dropped WCW almost completely beyond the first hour of Nitro.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

:cool::hf::c00l:

When I started watching WWF again, Bret was supposedly the heel and Shawn Michaels was the face. The hell with that, I was supporting Bret "Canada's Hero" Hart.

Absolutely - I've been in/around Calgary my whole life so why would I have ever cheered for Shawn Michaels in that feud?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jason Sextro posted:

Absolutely - I've been in/around Calgary my whole life so why would I have ever cheered for Shawn Michaels in that feud?

If you lived in Canada you weren't supposed to be cheering for Shawn Michaels.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah I watched WCW mostly as a kid. My last night watching WCW was when Beniot won the World Title. First time watching WWF was when the Radicals debuted.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I watched WWF and WCW pretty equally, and caught ECW on TV when I went to visit my dad. I only started favoring WWF over WCW when the nWo interview segments got too long and boring to suffer through and RAW actually had wrestling matches on it. Even then, I still watched WCW every so often until Raven left, and then I was done.

I loved the pre-TNN ECW show though, and it's still my favorite to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
WWF by a pretty good margin. I never thought the nWo stuff was all that interesting and only really liked Goldberg amongst who they pushed as main eventers. :colbert:

Oh and I played the N64 video game as Raven all the time, Raven was cool.

• Locked thread