Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Couple ground rules to establish because Dungeon World Inverse World is a little weird on PBP. Rolls will be handled pretty simply. If you're taking an action and the action is something with serious and interesting risk (like using a vine to swing over a flaming pit while bears with sniper rifles fire at you) that's failure doesn't result in 'nothing happens' you should just use orokos to roll 2d6 and add it to your post with a list of your modifiers. When I post I'll tell you what kind of move you used -- the exception being playbook moves which are exceptions to the rules, if you've got anything extra from your playbook its totally legit to say you're using it but it'll be pretty obvious you are anyway.
On Orokos you'll want to add LIGHT IN THE RAIN to the campaign bit when rolling, it's not that I don't trust you. It's that I don't remember half my rolls and this is ideal.
Additionally I'd like every post to contain your name as a link to your sheet (it makes everyone's life easier.)
Without further ado, I give you the worst Inverse World game you're ever going to play and yes I cut this a bit short. I lost some poo poo during a power loss and gently caress it I figure I can reintroduce the stuff later.

Home.
It's a concept you've begun to question recently. Where is 'Home'? Why is it so important? Why does 'Home' have to be one specific place? All of you have been uprooted from what you once saw as 'Home' even if you don't quite remember it.
Even then, you've finally settled down after a few brief months of turmoil in a city of sorts. Where did you or they come from? Well. The sky really. Every time it rains -- and it rains heavily and often -- flashes of light which originally were mistaken for lightning herald the arrival of new visitors, rarely more than two or three a storm. These wanderers and castaways eventually built a small settlement which has been growing day after day, as more technology and even odder things enter the pool of resources.

You all know each other for various reasons and have more or less known each other for a few months now, often working together to fulfill the Explorer's Charter and make a quick buck on the side. It seemed natural then that you'd all sign up as a team to explore a newly discovered desert where there's been word of oddly colored sand and creatures that seem to fade into the earth when even half-glanced at. Hell, even the money's fantastic. You should be able to live decently for awhile after you finish this commission.

Or at least that's what you thought.

The day started with a dream or perhaps a nightmare. A child wandering through the depths of a cavern with nothing but a candle to light his way. Every so often you could hear the loud thump of a heartbeat, as if you were struck by absolute terror.
Finally after what feels like hours the child reaches the end of the cave, the light of the early morning pooling at the entrance. He leaves, and something seems to stir in the darkness behind him. A vast gently luminescent eye opens and blinks twice just before you wake up to the light of dawn.

And then the storm began and never stopped. No one had seen a storm like this on the continent. Relentless and blessed with real lightning, it was as if something had brought something else to the world, something more primal than a simple traveler. Eventually after all of the morning preparations you gather together at the city's wall staring out past Nexus to the north where the deserts are and one of the many Towers of Annidus -- an odd fixture on the continent that numbers in the hundreds, each tower plain, featureless, and without an entrance. One of the more 'normal' flashes of light lights up behind it for a few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
One of the guards atop the gates waves at the lot of you as you walk past with a shout, "More work eh?!" You all know him -- and his companion -- well, Frank and Andy. Good guys and fantastic sentries. The one waving of course is Andy, Frank's prudent. Yes, prudent and bold.

Another three lights lance from the sky above into the deserts ahead of you, followed by a much much larger light that seems to slam into the absolute depths of the desert like a meteor. It's not often big things get drawn to this continent, a bit odd but not too odd.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
I like harbinger lights, I'll use that to refer to them from now on.

Avadin Arteka's clockwork bird and Pyotr reach the closest one first only to be taken aback.
In the lightly glowing depression lay a young man -- in his 20s roughly -- unconscious and wounded. The smell of rusted batteries is so thick in the air you can practically taste the bitterness of the acid.

The rest reach the scene in short order.

The further harbinger lights are too far into the desert to reach in one day, however in the direction of the biggest is a thick cloud of black smoke vomiting into the sky.

Tazaret has had enough experience to know that harbinger lights often bring groups when they're fighting and spread them apart across the landscape and he's definitely hurt. Is he a victim? Or something worse. Either way the glow around him reminds her of stars in the world she originally came from, something rather impossible considering the circumstances of her arrival.

PixelScum fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 19, 2014

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Lightning strikes in the distance suddenly and both Tazaret and Leung realize they should get him under cover while Svetlanka starts to completely freak out.

The pouring rain spatters against the cracked and battered earth, somehow still dry and warm to the touch from some subterranean heat source.

Karash's sensors paint an interesting picture. Most people wake up minutes after their arrival however this person seems to have been put into some kind of stasis, why? Not sure. But one thing you do know is you'll probably need the aid of both Tazaret and Ava to bring him back. Time and Space are very, very potent things. However what wounds the young man has are healing visibly, which is...impressive to say the least.

Sorry for not mentioning earlier but I fed Svetlanka some weird visions while I was working as part of the hard move I got to make.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Re: Fold Space Shenanigans. honestly? They're up to a day away each which is fairly far. OOC I'd honestly say you guys are better off getting under some cover which brings me to my next post. A few of you have actually asked me to throw out some more terrain and to be totally fair I have been kind of vague (I'm used to players who're a lot more aggressive about the narrative overall) so, HERE YOU GO.

Cracked earth and shattered stone seem to be the order of the day for the outer edges of the desert. Mostly wasteland with mesas, stone outcroppings, overhangs, and the occasional cave or sinkhole. The city itself isn't too far behind you but it almost seems ages as you look back, seeming to occupy a weird splash of thick jungle which spreads out beyond.
The largest light seems to have landed in a large box canyon while the other smaller light seems to be situated firmly in the properly sandy portion of the desert. The distance isn't too far but, still your mission was to explore the desert, bring back resources, and maybe bring back word of other settlements.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
My bad, I'm dumb and slow. WE RIDE.
Avadin recalls a certain ancient temporal master who liked to cut individuals out of the time stream, effectively rendering them immortal but stopped. He was kind of a dick really, but he told great knock-knock jokes. Assuming a lesser Clock Mage was involved, it should fade over time.

Pyotr finds that the big light is what looks to be an aerial battleship of some sort belching smoke into the atmosphere from massive amounts of physical damage, battle damage in fact. It seems essentially jammed into the canyon and probably won't be able to escape.
Meanwhile the smaller light is --at a glance -- a figure in very heavy armor.

For the record, I'll often use hard moves to write into the narrative at a later date, just so you know but you can kind of guess what that's going to be.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
The young man blinks his eyes twice and a soft blue light starts to encircle the group in the silence.
"I don't suppose you have any tea with you, do you?"

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Svetlanka gets the feeling that the light is just a natural byproducts of both the magic and young man in question. So in short, nothing much. While Arcturus' actions do interrupt some of the light momentarily as it gathers around him, most of it starts to gather around the rescue's form even as he eyes the bottle bemusedly and takes a sip. "It's good. Very good. I uh, I don't suppose you know where we are though?"

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
The young man looks up at the golem and lets it help him up, "Uh, sure? I guess." He blinks, "Oh. Oh. I'm so, so so so, so sorry. I forgot my manners. I'm Creel and evidently the prison I was in wasn't as secure as they thought. Well, at least I won't have to deal with the interrogations anymore. I was caught trying to steal some supplies and the owners were...not particularly happy about that. When I'm wounded too badly my body automatically shuts down and I enter a sort of protective bubble. Or at least I normally do. My injuries heal faster in it, but I'm completely immobile."

Pyotr manages to finally arrive back in time to catch the explanation.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Well Tazaret he's not human if that counts. Genetically at least. He looks like it but here and there you notice some weird discrepancies, not too big a deal but he does seem to take pains to conceal the fact.
Frankly once he stood he actually seemed quite a bit unsteady on his feet, and truth be told non-threatening. At worst he might try to nick some food but he did ask for tea, maybe he isn't so bad after all?

Deep in the golem's memories hidden by rust and time stirred forth something. It remembered a prison. A place where thousands of other golems lay inactive, where the light from the surface never reached their dark world. Yet it did not remember orders, and nor did it remember people.

I'll wait for the details of both 'parties' before I start describing the journey

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Alright so guys, this is definitely going to be a perilous journey so each group -- save for GreenIntern's right now due to how short the distance is -- needs to determine who the Quartermaster, Scout, and Trailblazers are.
The gist is:
* The quartermaster reduces the number of rations required by one.
* The trailblazer reduces the amount of time it takes to reach your destination (the GM will say by how much.)
* The scout will spot any trouble quick enough to let you get the drop on it.

After you decide who is what (only one person per role,) the ones with the rolls roll +WIS.

The groups are as follows:
Arcturus, Karash, Tazeret, Pyotr, are seeking the Armored Man.
Svetlanka, Avadin, Leung, Alexander, are seeking the Fallen Ship.

Additionally sorry for being so slow posting I'm going to be posting a lot more from now on.

Golem / Creel Super Team
The city isn't too far and part of the journey will be the Spider Wood, where they sleep and live in the trees. Here and there you can see the bulging or twisting of the bark as one scurries beneath, like a child under a sheet. A child roughly the size of a rottweiler and paralytic venom. Also I guess mandibles. Not a child at all, but gently caress you. I do what I want.
Creel seems a bit disturbed by the entire thing, "I don't suppose there's an easier way through here? Maybe a catapult. Or a some kind of flamethrower?"

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Golem / Creel Super Team
"Oh good." He stares for awhile, "Nothing like you. Similar but more terrifying. They were called the Sun Tyrants, and they've conquered countless galaxies. My world was just one of the latest to be caught and a good deal of us hid and lived in the ruined cities left after the first salvos."

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
The two groups finally set off on their journey even as the golem continues to chat with its newly found friend. While the heat was certainly awful in the wastelands, it seemed to redouble its efforts as they entered the desert. The sun beat down on them, staring like the hateful eye of some atrocity past, it's gaze leaving nothing but scorched
breath and exhausted flesh where it touched.

Fallen Ship
The journey goes as expected for the first day, supplies are well-rationed and the trails found reasonably easily.
However, Leung has caught something in the distance in the later afternoon, an odd crab-like creature scuttling in the distance. She wouldn't be worried normally, except on second glance she realised it was the size of a house at the least.

Soon night would fall, and the creature's path directly intersects the group's, she's sure it would notice the light from the camp fire. However, right now it's distant enough that avoiding it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Armored Man
The lot of you manage to make it to the canyons in an adequate fashion, however there is something odd. Pyotr finds the canyons are a bit too difficult to properly scout in and before they even realise it, something odd has started to happen. The sun hung low, and the canyons were starting to darken with the expected shadows. All of you were getting tired but the shade helped fight the heat.
Then it happened. Screams echoed throughout the canyons, a foul wailing that filled you all with dread. Slowly it got louder and louder, as if it were coming closer to you.
No, it was coming closer. You've got a few brief seconds to prepare against this unknown and unseen threat, what do you do?

MEANWHILE, IN BUMFUCK GOLEMVILLE
You manage to get through the forest fairly easily. Despite Creel's obvious fear, most of the spiders -- especially the ones on well-used paths -- were quiescent during the day. The golem was addressed by one of the gate guards as it and Creel finally arrived, "Ho golem, brought back another visitor? Or are your friends close behind?" His trigger discipline is kind of awful and the very large energy rifle's aim kind of wanders around, often crossing your position. You can tell he's kind of a gently caress-up but hey, he's friendly enough right?

PixelScum fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 4, 2014

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Golemville, USA
"Oh. Oh good. Well come on in!" The doors start to open and the golem enters the forest.
"I'm so glad we're off to a good start." Creel's sarcasm is the last thing the golem hears of the exchange.

Alright you're going to want to pick one of the roles for the perilous journey and only one. The rest you pretty much fail at. Since you're a golem, quartermaster is mostly irrelevant for you.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Armored Man
It's going to be Survive for you Pyotr, since you were the most visible target. The good news is I rolled average, so take 8 damage (or whatever, since Survive is rad.)
Your preparations came just in time, as something big, blue, and partially translucent slams into Pyotr, flowing around him and toward the rest of you. Here and there parts of it stop for a moment, reorienting themselves and reveal faces, some you might know, some you might not. All of them screaming.
A clacking sound can be heard from ahead, as a creature larger than a man hobbles its way into your part of the canyon with a cane. Gleaming red vapor seems to pour from the eyesockets of the goat's skull that serves presumably as a mask, but nothing else is visible. All of its flesh is hidden away by thick purple furs and something seems to writhe and twitch beneath it, as if it were eager to escape.
Karash and Arcturus find the faces seem to avoid them, tearing forward toward the apparently vulnerable Tazaret.

Fallen Ship
Alright Error404, just to let you know it's going to take awhile.
The crab seems to trundle on, unperturbed by the summoning, however any heroing that might've been done manages to get interrupted by the arrival of Raum.
It flutters and flitters and lights on Ava's shoulder, leaning in as if it were to whisper something to her.
It tells her that the Armored Man is a little more than half a day's distance, and slow. Resting for the night shouldn't be a problem as he seems to be travelling in a straight line, toward some goal that not even Raum could see. However, it does note there seems to be some sort of temporal twitching near him. Movement seems difficult within arm's reach of him, as if he were constantly rewinding the time of anything around him for a few brief seconds.

GOLEMVILLE, USA
The Golem finds itself travelling the wastes at a fairly rapid clip, entering the desert at a good time and forging onward toward the canyons with the dogged persistence only sentient machinery can manage.
Well, it would be if it weren't now sliding into a massive fissure that opened up in the sand itself. The newly created chasm yawns like the jaws of some horrific beast even as the golem scrambles to grab hard stone.

It's been brought to my attention that I'm an idiot, and switched the groups positioning in the previous post. So, I've fixed it. Additionally I'm passing Tazaret some fantastic information.

PixelScum fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 4, 2014

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Since the golem is out of sync I'm going to hit them with their poo poo first to sort of play catch up while the people who still need to post can get the gumption to do so.

Golemville, USA
The stone the golem grips begins to tilt into the abyss, stopping as the chasm closes up. The nearby sand rumbles and shifts as something -- something big -- begins to move away from the scene, sand thrown upward in its wake.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
The Canyons of the Armored Man
The Heartseeker is engulfed in a blast of flame, and blood and torn hearts and arteries rain on the battlefield, however three ghost streams have cornered Tazaret and are diving at her with unparalleled speed.
Arcturus' arrow of light is partially deflected by a barely visible gleam, the light exposing the outline of a bubble of some sort surrounding the Heartseeker and tears through a grotesque multi-jointed arm.
Pyotr manages to un-corner Tazaret and face down the mass of ghosts himself and he realises now. Those ghosts before were free, these are... chained, howling at the beck and call of their deadly master.
Karrash -- momentarily distracted by the creature's sheer toughness -- finds himself lifted into the air by an immense invisible fist and tossed toward Pyotr like a missile.

THE SANDS OF TURTLE SAND ISLAND
Since that's a consensus really I'm going to move on
Despite the momentary thought that the crab would notice the campfire, the lot of you manage to set up camp just in time for the night and rest safely.
Well, until the sun disappears behind the horizon.
Magical and artificial light start to fade as the sands take on an almost otherworldly appearance, completely invisible in the darkness save for thousands of motes of colored light. Green, blue, pale yellow, and even red flicker and pulse through the sand. Abruptly you realise that the desert of glass is far more apt a name than you'd ever realised, every last grain a tiny piece of glass.
Even the light of the moon failed to light up the sands, leaving you floating in an incredibly disorienting multi-colored star-field. Even your tactile senses have started to become confused, the supposed sand shifting beneath your every step.
Something in the distance lets out a gurgling call and even more seem to join it and the sound of crunching footsteps approaches closer to the camp, it's source still unseen.

PixelScum fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 12, 2014

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Yeah, the Make Camp and Take Watch moves apply, though the fruits of them won't apply immediately

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Ship Team
Unfortunately even as the light bursts into existence, the darkness seems to push back against it and dimming it slightly. The sands seem to refuse definition still, remaining as translucent as the night itself while your light reveals your allies and gear.
The fire light snuffs out as a large but lazy-looking lizard mostly-composed of a hazy-clear mineral trundles out of the darkness. It sniffs and snorts a few times and looks at Svetlanka and -- sensing the threat -- slowly turns and retreats into the darkness.
The calls grow more numerous, though no closer.

Tazaret:
Theory never really prepared Tazaret for the resulting impact of a person in powered armor thrown with the raw force of a terrifying entity's own mind.

Tazaret is going to take damage:
Karrash Bullet: 1d6+2 8

Nameless Golem
The Golem had finally arrived, staring down at the battle between its friends and the Heartseeker from atop a canyon wall, cape fluttering in the wind.
Blood was everywhere, though whether or not it was the party's wasn't immediately obvious. However, the danger the Heartseeker posed WAS obvious.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
It's Raining Armored Men, Hallelujah
Even as the dust clears, the creature -- sans a good deal of hearts -- begins to seethe with red tinted steam rising off of it's body. With the invisible shield around it now cracked and broken the fired fist slams into the skull and tears off a horn, sending blood everywhere. Still, it stands. Suddenly the red gleam in the eyesockets of the skull bursts outward with a flash of bright light and a huge crimson beam cuts across the landscape toward Karrash even as the golem finds itself being pushed backwards violently with telekinetic force.

Holy Ship It's Dark
Avadin's realisation comes almost too late as she shouts warning to Svetlanka even as the colored motes floating in the abyss seem to swirl and boil upward, bursting through the sand where Svetlanka stood just moments before and blasting into the sky like a geyser of neon fluids. Where the liquid fell it began to hiss violently. The geysers are swirling beneath the earth and blasting out amongst the sands all around you. Even worse, Avadin knows that this phenomena only occurs in the nesting grounds of a rare breed of scorpion, as large as a human being with the ability to generate any amount of acid within its own body and secrete it in massive quantities.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Armored Man Mode
Sand is glassed and stone is scorched in the beam's wake, leaving a smokey haze where it struck. A silhouette appears in front of Karrash, lit up by the brilliant beam for a few brief seconds only for it to fade -- it's energy expended entirely.
The golem -- sliding at roughly the speed of a hot rod -- slams into a rock and bounces even as the phantoms floating in the air writhe and converge, forming a stream of death aimed at the golem.

Tazaret's magic does exactly what she'd expected. Or at least it mostly does. A loud, wet thud hits the ground behind her and she can hear loud scrabbling and hissing sounds. A quick glance is all she needs to know to see that the lower torso is standing, looks very angry, and has sprouted an entire nest of spitting black vipers, which have started to gather their venom.
Meanwhile the upper torso's started growing new legs, formed from what few hearts it has left.

Damage VS Pyotr: 1d10+3 13, Pyotr only takes 4 thanks to spending hold and armor.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Armored Own Zone
The explosions, the sonic blasts, the gunfire; all of these leave a massive black-scorched crater where the creature's body was as the smoke clears. Nothing is left, the lower torso collapses into a pile of ashes already floating away in the wind. The ghosts? Fade from existence in mid-act, leaving the golem safe.
As the sun finally sets, you see the sands outside of the canyons completely disappear.

Jefferson Starship
Suddenly, a geyser explodes in front of the lot of you. Penning you in even as huge scorpions start crawling out of their near invisible holes, bodies pulsing with neon light and jaws clattering with hunger.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Armorade, it's whats for breakfast.
The standard Make Camp move applies (and its associated moves) but luckily nothing is really going to bother you. The golem's sentry-work revealed a lot of old corpses with their hearts torn out. It looks like most creatures knew to stay away from the canyons.

Ship-Shape with the Ship-Shade
Numerous scorpions die, exploding into caustic gore from the bullets flying everywhere and pollen blasts. The circle breaks properly as seven of them start to charge Avadin even as their kin behind them fall.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
My bad, had to get used to my med scheduling again

Not All Armored Men
Tazaret's night sifting through portents results in a startling revelation. She sees a mound of bodies heaped in front of a massive metal ship, a star ship in fact. The ship itself is heavily damaged with immense tears in it's hull, smoke belching from other tears. She gradually realises that some of the bodies in the mound are her companions.
Her vision darkens as something immense and crimson steps in front of her, a long claw spearing one of the bodies and pulling it upward with a sickening crunch sound and a rain of gore.
Everything fades and Tazaret hears a voice whispering, "The true storm has yet to begin."

Ship Shape
Leung gets across easily, the scorpions confused and disoriented by the sudden feeling of footsteps on their backs even as they shriek violently.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Yo realtalk I was hit with a case of the sadbrains but I'm good to go now. Also you make one perilous journey per destination, interruptions don't require more.

Armor-All
I'll be resolving the second team's conflict before I do Pyotr's arrival.

Shipping Crate
Svetlanka has attracted the attention of a trio of scorpions, one of which is huge and seems to be...pulsating with something inside it. Something moving.
Two of them charge her with the loud clicking of their claws.

Codeine then proceeds to force plants from deep underground to burst through the soil and sand, turning all the nearby terrain into a thick, visually impenetrable jungle. A poppy jungle I guess???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Behold My Shipping Wall
Leung gets into sight of the scorpions attacking Svetlanka and manages to put them down as Svetlanka's glowing burst drives two of them skittering back toward her. Unfortunately, the biggest not only doesn't seem cowed, but doesn't seem to mind a bullet or two as acidic gore sprays -- and so does a flood of tiny hissing, shrieking, and glowing scorpions -- in Leung and Svetlanka's direction.
Alexander hears the commotion and realises not all is quite safe.

• Locked thread