Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret - Nexus' North Wall

Tazaret tried to relax, but it was hard. Once, weather was something that happened to other people. Now it was just everyday life. Cold, wet, everyday life. She wondered when clouds and rain would stop making her tense. Weather was bad enough even without doubtlessly prophetic nightmares. The situation wasn't totally unfamiliar though. Waiting on your superiors, it seemed, was the same everywhere.

An observer might notice that the raindrops around Tazaret never hit the ground, instead disappearing a foot or so above her head. Despite standing in the middle of a torrential storm, she's bone dry. Never let it be said she isn't petty.

The mage nods. She'd known officers who could blather for hours and say less than what their fearless leader had in a few sentences. 'At least,' Tazaret thought, 'she doesn't waste time.' “Yes ma'am.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

"I'm not afraid! I just don't like it." The star mage shudders.

Distractedly, Tazaret returns Andy's wave. It was hard to think about pleasantries the sky was falling around you. Seeing two of her party rush ahead, she opts to take a more leisurely pace. It wasn't like the tower was going anywhere, and the golem (and passengers) could only move so fast anyway. Best not to hurry and keep an eye out. (The fact that lightning was more likely to hit the Golem than her is purest coincidence!)

Reading the weather wasn't quite like reading the heavens, but it was a close cousin. The sun moves one way, the clouds move another, and the earth follows suit.

Discern realities: 2d6+2 12
  • What is about to happen?
  • What should I be on the lookout for?
  • What here is not what it appears to be?

Double Plus Undead fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 18, 2014

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

The smell hits her first, and she draws her gun on instinct. She holsters it as soon as she gets a look at the newest arrival and sees that he isn't going to hurt anyone right now, and possibly ever again.

Tazaret approaches him cautiously, trying to stay out of Svetlanka's way as she works. The glow around the new guy was too too familiar. 'Don't get your hopes up...'

“That light, I've seen it before--”

Aid Leung: 2d6+1 5 Well, more XP for us at least.

No, there was no point in bothering her with pointless recollections.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

Lurks With Wolves posted:

"I hope you have something that could put a roof over his head. I certainly don't."

"I think I might, at that." Tazaret makes a quick open-sesame gesture with her hands.

Fold Space: 2d6+2 10

The sky above the young man twists, while an identically sized patch in the distance suddenly starts pouring twice as much rain. The star mage dusts her hands off, satisfied with her portal-brella.

"Not much of a shelter wall-wise, but he'll be dry." She turns her attention to Svetlana. "Is it safe to move him ma'am? If the other two arrivals are in the same condition we'll need to get there quickly."

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

Oh. How awkward. "I don't think I can reliably teleport over such a long distance. I could..." Of all the times to forget! "The little animal, the bouncy one? You have it here." She shakes her head. "I could make several short jumps."

The description for Fold Space says Near range and I'm not 100% sure how far that is, but probably less far than you are proposing.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I don't see why it couldn't work, but I thought I should bring it up.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

“It seems I'm staying here regardless, but if the other two have people like him, Avadin and I will be needed eventually. Something to keep in mind.”

“We used to transport prisoners like this back home,” Tazaret says as she joins the other two in inspecting the body. “Sedate them, then put them in stasis, much safer for the guards. Of course they moved through time as always.” She spared Avadin a glance. “They say you have the strangest dreams.” Well, strange or traumatic. But a man stopped in time does not dream, after all. She squats down to examine the fallen man more closely.

Now that she knows what she's looking for, it couldn't be more obvious. The stasis field is practical work, nothing fancy. He's slightly out of phase with this field of space, but bringing him back into the fold shouldn't be too difficult... Tazaret puts her hand slightly above his chest and starts to mutter.

All my space magic is WIS so that's what I'm rolling here: 2d6+2 9

There's a slight woosh and a strange smell as the air in his field mixes with the air in the desert, but due to his stopped time there's no other visible change. Tazaret looks up.

"Your move, Arteka."

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

'He's bounced back quickly,' Tazaret thought, narrowing her eyes. She rocked back on her heels and let the others get him acquainted with this brave new world.

Eventually, she asks "what's the last thing that you remember?"

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

It's an unfortunate fact of life in Nexus that just because you're the victim of a horrifying calamity doesn't mean you're not also a bad person. As such, Tazaret was not about to let him wander off yet. The Golem might be incredibly strong and durable, but it was also gentle and trusting. To send it off into the desert with an unscrupulous character could not be borne! Accordingly she studied the young man (Creel, is it?) while he talked, not even trying to disguise the fact.

Discern realities on Creel: 2d6+2 10
What here is not what it appears to be?
What should I be on the lookout for?
What is about to happen?

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

If Creel was nothing but a petty thief the Golem should be safe enough. It didn't have much in the way of material possessions, after all. And if what Creel said about going into stasis is true, there was no need to worry about him collapsing on the journey. Briefly, Tazaret considered offering to stab him until he went back into his healing coma, it seemed a faster way to recover than the way he was going now. But he would doubtless take it the wrong way.

"I'll see to the armored man. If he's friendly he certainly isn't dressed for the desert. And if he isn't Arcturus shouldn't face him alone." She turns to Creel, and remembers she hasn't introduced herself. "I'm Tazaret. The crashed ship, the armored man, do they mean anything to you?"

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I'll trailblaze for Team Armored Guy.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Trailblazing!: 2d6+2 8

Tazaret manages to avoid portalling anyone to the bottom of a ravine! Unless that was where we were supposed to go.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
We're all together in the canyon

Thousand gods Tazaret hates the desert so much. It isn't just the heat, or the dust that bothers her. It's the heat and the dust and the fact that it lasts forever. She's going to die out here before they find the armored man. Either she'll die of heat exhaustion or they'll all start starving to death and Pyotr will eat her, probably.

Tazaret consoles herself with the thought that if things get truly dire he'll fly away before resorting to cannibalism.

And then the screaming starts. Tazaret draws her pistol and does a quick sweep of the area but nothing obviously dangerous presents itself. There are travelers' tales that say it's the spirits of those who died here and that the sand of the desert is made of the bones of the dead ground to a fine powder. With their remains so scattered it's impossible to put these spirits to rest, and they're doomed to haunt the desert forever. They also say that the ghosts died hungry and still seek the flesh of the living.

Spout lore on moaning: 2d6+1 10

She really hopes that's just a story.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

“Goat-mask is controlling the ghosts, if we kill it they'll stop,” Tazaret calls to her comrades. “And it will try to take your heart.” Silently she blessed the rambling veteran back in Nexus, and vowed if she got out of this alive he would never pay for drinks again.

She has no idea what effect normal bullets would have on a being composed almost entirely of hearts-- "Oh and it's made of hearts" --but luckily she has a fire based alternative! Her left hand quickly reached inside her jacket and drew out a glowing blue-green sphere which she hurled at goat-skull, heedless of the ghosts in the way.

Volley at the Heartseeker: 2d6+1 9

You have to move to get the shot placing you in danger of the GM's choice

Damage: 1d6 1 Messy, ignores armor

Double Plus Undead fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 5, 2014

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Hey K Prime, how OK are you with me using Karash like a giant pinball?

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
So I should or should not?

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret
HP: 16/16, Armor: 1, XP: 1->2/8

Tazaret has enough time to notice the light from Arcturus's arrows reflecting off of something before the spirits reach her. Panic at being cornered gives way to relief as Pyotr jumps in front of her, to give way to panic again as she notices Karash being hurtled towards their position. She doesn't know what will happen if the spirits touch her, but being squashed flat is entirely within her comprehension. Thankfully, so is the solution.

“Karash, brace yourself!”

Before Karash can connect, a portal in space opens and Karash sails through it.

Fold space to redirect Karash: 2d6+2 4

On a 6-, you still make a connection, but it isn't between the places you wanted it to be.
The GM will tell you what went wrong.

In theory, Karash would exit inside of the Heartseeker's force field and tear it apart. In theory. It was a brilliant plan, it just didn't work.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret
HP: 16/16, Armor: 1, XP: 2/8

As one giant metal man narrowly avoids landing on her and another drops from the heavens, Tazaret takes the opportunity to consider the situation. The hearts must be key to its control of the spirits, it would not seek them so fervently otherwise. So if it had fewer hearts, wouldn't it naturally become weaker? And the goat skull must be important somehow, otherwise why would an amalgamation of hearts even have one? So if the two could be separated...

Portal cut!: 2d6+2 8
The portal is unsafe to use for some reason, probably because I'm using it to chop a guy in half.
Damage: 1d6 3

Chanting perhaps louder than the situation really warrants Tazaret opens a portal beneath the Heartseeker, only to close it with a squelch before the monster can fall all the way through.

Double Plus Undead fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 15, 2014

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

"I don't know what I expected."

Tazaret retrieves her guidance core only to be confronted with twice the opposition. “Perhaps I was wrong, maybe it's a genus loci. That would explain the snakes.” Snakes live in the desert right?

The core pulses with cyan light, casting strange shadows across her face as she tosses it hand to hand, trying to decide between targets. Then, apparently at random, she throws a wicked curve that hits the be-skulled half straight on.

Volley at the Heartseeker: 2d6+1 7
Gimme danger!
Damage: 1d6 6
Messy, ignores armor

Back home, every starship had at least one ghost light on the outside, to protect against the spirits of those who died in the void. The Capital Ships ghost lights were multicolored prismatic works of art, but even the most meager lifeboat had something to draw the attention of the dead away from the living. It had been a subject of contention between meta-physicians and religious scholars as to why the ghost lights worked, but the point was this: ghosts liked bright, shining lights. It really would have behooved Tazaret to remember that.

Spout lore on ghosts: 2d6+1 8

Double Plus Undead fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 15, 2014

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

Tazaret retrieves her weapon and starts gingerly picking viscera out of her hair. There were probably creatures in the desert that fed on this stuff, though she couldn't decide whether being able to see them burrow underneath the sand was a plus or a minus.

“Yes, well fought all. And I'm glad that Creel made it back to Nexus safely.” She looks around the canyon, then adds, “I take it we're making camp here?”

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

Nightfall transformed the desert of glass. The dunes glowed faintly with reflected starlight, an effect that thankfully did not extend to the canyons. The lights of Nexus drowned out the stars, but here there was almost nothing else.

The Golem's footsteps on patrol were regular and soothing, but Tazaret couldn't let herself be lulled to sleep. Maybe she couldn't take a hit like Karash or Pyotr, but she could at least find out what they'd be up against.

Using When the Stars Align! I pick:
You get an idea of what action will trigger the event.
You get a vision of the event's aftermath.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

...the Lantern passes into the Seneschal's house, opposed by the King of Knives...

Tazaret doesn't respond for a long time. Finally, she blinks, realizing that the Golem has stopped patrolling and is speaking to her. Slowly and carefully she bends her neck from the sky to look at it. When she responds it is barely loud enough to hear.

“I stare at the sky for the same reason you patrol. Comrade.” After a bit she adds, “sorry about that Karash.”

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

Tazaret just kind of stares at the Golem for a while. Finally she says, “No, the stars will not attack us. And if they do, Pyotr will take care of them. So you needn't patrol any more than usual.”

The vision was troublesomely vague. A pile of corpses before a crashed spaceship told her almost nothing, other than that it was extremely dangerous, information that her comrades, wherever they were now, presumably knew already. Oh, and that there was a giant red thing that liked to chew the scenery as well as the corpses of its foes. Dire, but hardly concrete. Still...

“Pyotr, do you have any idea how far we are from the crashed ship? It might be important.”

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

"Well, there might be an incredibly dangerous monster there, and I know how you love throwing yourself headlong at things that try to kill us. Not that I'm complaining." Tazaret shrugs. "But we could keep on to see the armored man. Up to you all."

We making another perilous journey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

"I saw a pile of corpses, a monster, and a crashed spaceship. How these things got there I do not know, nor do I know whether our companions need help or not. Omens are like that I'm afraid, that's why I'm asking." Tazaret coughs. "And, I can't actually stop you."

• Locked thread