Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Sagacious Leung

Storms are typically viewed as a symbol of change. The wind that blows down all walls. The rain that washes the slate clean. You do not need to be a sage to know this. But to take a possibly prophetic vision and reexamine it in light of the greatest storm she has seen in her time here, that is a task fit for a sage. A good sage can find a billion portents in this. Perhaps it is a warning, an attempt to draw her away from the chaos to come. Perhaps it is drawing her deeper into the mysteries she will find in the tower. Perhaps there is simply something awakening, and all she can do is withstand whatever it will one day throw at her. Yes, a good sage can find all of that. A great sage knows to admit that she can't make an accurate prediction with what she knows. And so Leung keeps on walking down the road and watches the lightning carve a path through the sky. Or at least, she will until she reaches the city gate. Her companions wouldn't appreciate it if Leung started without them, after all.

"I am here to see what there is to see, priest. The money is simply a fringe benefit." Leung steps past Svetlanka and leans against the city wall, a faint smile on her lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

Prayers, prayers, prayers. It's always prayers with these people. Everyone in this world just feels the need to declare their spirituality to the heavens, as if the heavens truly cared. Spirituality is a matter of the self, and it should be kept to the self whenever possible.

"Don't ask me, Karash. I'm not the reason we're waiting."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

"Is there no one in this world that knows when to take their time?" Leung sighs and rolls her eyes before following the rest of the gang.

What? No, she's not running after them. She's walking with speed after them. There's a difference.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

Leung kneels down next to Svetlanka, silently taking the stick out of her mouth and slips it into her breast pocket. There is a mystery here, and Leung is going to solve it. The question, what world did this poor bastard fall from? The answer must be here. After all, one can never completely leave their homeland behind. There must be some hint of it here. In the pattern of the scorch marks, in the acrid tang of the air, on his clothes. Something, somewhere, has to have something to discover. If she can't find even a hint, she does not deserve the title Sagacious.

So, uh, it's kind of hard to describe "closely studying a person or situation", so I'm just going to hope that I have justified Discerning Realities. Discern Realities?: 2d6+1 6 Well, bad news is better than no news, right? Right?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung
XP: 1

Hmph. Leung can't work in conditions like this. Not while Svetlanka is pouring divine energy all over the impact site. The rain isn't helping either, mind you, but she can handle it. The man can't. He should be healed enough to travel once he wakes up, but until then he's just another sack of grain getting waterlogged in the rain.

"Golem. If you need a task, keep the rain off the survivor." Leung turns away from the impact and stares out at the city in the distance. Just far enough to make things difficult. This man's path is going to be a difficult one to walk, that's for certain. She sighs and looks over at Tazaret.

"I hope you have something that could put a roof over his head. I certainly don't."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

"So what? We send a lone scout to each impact? Not very efficient, if you ask me. Not very safe, either. My plan, on the other hand..." Leung smirks and slips the stick back out of her pocket, spending just enough time toying with it to make everyone wonder if she's going to continue.

"Three fallen stars. Three visitors in need of rescue. Three groups of three, ready to save them. It is quite the auspicious start, don't you agree?" Is this in any way incompatible with Svetlanka's suggestion? No it is not. Will that make Leung stop acting like her suggestion is the best thing since sliced bread? No it won't.

If this leads to Drakkar needing to GM on three seperate fronts at once, I apologize.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

"It's not polite to question your hosts without introducing yourself, but I will excuse it given the circumstances." Leung takes a seat on the dusty ground, het glasses glittering in the soft glow.

"You see, worlds are not as stable as they seem. There are cracks, tears, places where the fabric wears thin. If an unlucky traveler were to fall through one of these holes they land here, in Scolus. There is a city not far from here called Nexus. There are people there that will help you adjust, if you need it."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

"I believe I will join you there, Svetlanka. No offense to Karash or Mr Creel, but the battleship's path has more on it than yours." Besides, Leung can't let Torthanc's fist be the only philosophy whatever surviving sailors see when they first step onto Scolus. She may not be the most well-regarded student of the Temple Ephemeral, but she is still a monk at heart.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

"I suppose introductions are in order. I am Sagacious Leung, roving scholar and willing apostate of the Temple Ephemereal. May our paths cross again before the end." She gives him a short bow before climbing to her feet and leaving the makeshift hut. Creel may be a thief, but he is honest about that fact. That alone deserves respect.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Since I also have a +1 to Wis while being theoretically good at getting out of bad situations, I'll take Scout. I mean, if there's a chance we'd botch it and stumble into a sandworm nest, it might as well be the fastest person who's going to stumble into it. Better than letting Alexander take the lead, he'd probably just trip and fall in.

(Besides, it seems pretty appropriate to let the Timekeeper handle getting us there fast.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Since Ship Crew's slots are all filled, I might as well roll now too.
Scout(Perilous Journey): 2d6+1 10

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

"Hmm. A siege crab. I thought it'd be too arid for one out here." Leung smiles at this most improbably situation before turning back to the rest of the group.

"If we start heading northeast now, we should be behind it once night falls. Don't worry, it'll be fine. It takes far more than one campfire to make a siege crab this size turn around."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

"This is a dangerous path to walk in the dark, you know. Far safer to just start a fire and wait for morning to come."

"The question is, do we want to be safe?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

The meditative arts of the Temple Ephemereal are a strange thing. One must force their awareness inward to drive their consciousness upward into the astral planes. And then the astral form's senses are forced inward, and again the consciousness goes upward, and so on until the monk's will can bring themselves no higher. The true masters can even force their astral self down into the material world for a time. Leung has only begun practicing this art, manifesting a hand for a few seconds at most, but the apostate will become a master in time.

Of course, none of that matters when an itinerant priest drags you back to the physical world just because someone is approaching the camp. Still, it's probably for the best that Leung is awake and aware enough to greet their guest.

"You don't need to ward away every other traveler on the path, you know. Every meeting is not a battle." She dusts the glowing sand off her legs as she stands up, but there's still a certain looseness to her stance that shows that Leung isn't as certain in their guest's good will as she says.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

"Well, Svetlanka, you know what they say. Danger is like the rain." Leung slings her bag back over her shoulder and begins to follow Avadin, narrowly avoiding a gout of acid. "No matter how hard you try to keep it out, it always finds a way in."

And so the apostate walks into the desert night, with the most knowing smile plastered on her face.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

"Oh, not the acid. How will I ever avoid it." Leung is definitely taking these scorpions as a credible threat as she starts walking towards the Timekeeper's new position. She's practically shaking in her boots as she unholsters he pistols and begins firing into the swarm as she advances. You can really feel the severity of this situation too, what with the scorpions popping like overripe grapes as the bullets tear through them. Wait, wait, one them's lunging... No, it got shot too. It's blood did burn a bit of the fringe off of Leung's leg-pant as she stepped over it's twitching corpse, though, so who really won that encounter?

Time to do the cool thing and shoot all the scorpions. Or at least some of the ones between us and Avadin. Volley: 2d6+2 12 1d10+1 8

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

So the scorpions are finally going for the easy prey. Leung is not the sentimental type, but this doesn't seem like Avadin's time. Fortunately, she can change that. She raises her pistol with an eerie calm and pulls the trigger.

*click* *click click*

Well drat. Leung breaks out into a full-on sprint, spent magazines falling to the sands as she runs. Overtaking the scorpions is easy, even on a night such as this. Skipping across their backs like so many stepping stones in a river could be hard, for someone who wasn't born in a forest canopy. But forcing even a small piece of one's astral form into the physical realm for something as banal as reloading a gun while doing all that? Leung only makes it look easy.

"Better late than never, eh Timekeeper?"

Using Ability of Lightness to run over the scorpions and get on Avadin's side of the chase. Ability of Lightness: 2d6+2 12

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

"There is no luck, only what waits on the path. It is how you react that matters." Leung glances back at the rest of the party. "And Svetlanka is reacting rather predictably. Excuse me." The gunslinger pivots on the spot as the last clicks into place, immediately firing three shots across the empty waste at the remain scorpions. Which then immediately embedded themselves into the head of a giant poppy that wasn't there a second ago. That's the problem with spirits. No sense of proportion. Leung dashes into the forest to get a clean shot...

Going to Volley at those scorpions attacking Svetlanka. Volley: 2d6+2+1 9 1d10+1 7 I'll go with "You have to move to get the shot placing you in danger as described by the GM", because it honestly just sounds more interesting than letting my shots clip plants or shooting enough times to blast a hole through the plants.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

Leung scowls and reholsters her pistols as the scorpion spews it's children at them. There is a time for fighting and a time for running, and the latter has arrived sooner than she would have liked. Still, Leung makes scurrying up the truck of a tree-sized poppy look easy as she tries to escape the swarm. It'd almost be enough to make her nostalgic for her home grove, if it wasn't for the constant risk of a messy death.

Since climbing a tree-equivilent to flee a swarm of baby scorpions seems like defying a danger by getting out of the way or acting fast to me, Defy Danger(Dex): 2d6+2 13 I was going to wait to see what Svetlanka does to see if I'd have to Aid her, but I figure that nobody would mind if I make another roll to help her if she flees in my general direction.

• Locked thread