Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

unironically tho i don't like what ive seen of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Take out wii fit lady and replace with game and watch kthx

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Nanomashoes posted:

unironically tho i don't like what ive seen of it

It's poo poo.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

fronz posted:

It's poo poo.

i heard the maps are bad which is like the only point of playing strategy games so how did they gently caress that up

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I like Awakening for the characters and story. I also like making ridiculously overpowered units.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The number of blue-haired anime swordsmen is now the same as the number of blondes in fancy dresses, the number of ninjas, and I think also the number of mustachioed fistfighters in overalls. It is less than the number of spheres, and probably also less than the number of animals with improbable guns. A persistent but unlikely rumor holds that it will be the same as the number of fire-breathing dragons.

Wilde Jagd
Jan 2, 2014

by XyloJW

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Are you mad about how both sexual and strong Lyn is? Because gently caress you.

this but unironically

Wilde Jagd
Jan 2, 2014

by XyloJW
i enjoy playing as Strong, Sexy, yet Sensitive anime swordswomen with very muscular bodies and huge tits. it's good to me.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wilde Jagd posted:

i enjoy playing as Strong, Sexy, yet Sensitive anime swordswomen with very muscular bodies and huge tits. it's good to me.

Ike is also my favorite.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

fronz posted:

It's poo poo.

false

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i havent played fire emblem OR smassh brothers so i dont know how mad i should be.

isnt smash brothers a bit like dota with weird rules and fans?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Video Viddy Games posted:

i havent played fire emblem OR smassh brothers so i dont know how mad i should be.

No you're thinking of dota. Smash bros is nothing like dota

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Ike is also my favorite.

Ike is gay as hell

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Awakening was too easy because of that partner-up poo poo.

Soral
May 30, 2009

awakening was really cool and great. it saved the fire emblem franchise + also the 3ds from certain death

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Soral posted:

awakening was really cool and great. it saved the fire emblem franchise + also the 3ds from certain death

it wouldn't have needed saving if they stopped remaking bad games

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

lucina's just marth on training wheels who cares

let's talk about how robin is going to own so hard and i desperately hope i could play as poofy purple hair eyepatch robin

Soral
May 30, 2009

purple hair robin is indeed the best robin

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

i've never actually played any fire emblems tbh

i have sacred stones that i got from the 3ds ambassador poo poo, is that good at all? should i play that??

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

DLTN posted:

i have sacred stones that i got from the 3ds ambassador poo poo, is that good at all? should i play that??

A lot of fans consider it one of the weakest. I think it's okay. If you have a 3DS just get Awakening because it has the world map concept from Sacred Stones but done way better. Also Gregor.

Dec 26, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

i heard the maps are bad which is like the only point of playing strategy games so how did they gently caress that up

alright here is the rundown in general, but partially related to the maps:

they introduced a mechanic that lets you basically have one unit piggyback on another and give them stat bonuses/sometimes an extra attack/sometimes block an attack, with no penalty to the unit being piggybacked on. they didnt adjust the number of deployed units to account for the fact that you should do this with all of your characters. as a result you have half the characters which in fire emblem means strong strategies like chokepointing, etc are even stronger, you can hide vulnerable units easily, and the concept of balancing movement with durability is basically tossed completely out the window. the only method of compensation for this was that a bunch of the maps were made wide open which is dumb and boring. every map is either kill the commander or kill everything, and since you can just buy items anytime on the world map theres no huge pressure to grab houses/villages like there were in previous games, so any sense of scarcity or urgency is pretty much eliminated

i cant be too mad at it because it prevented the series from getting canned. im just hoping the next game doesnt have these issues but since this one made money worth a drat they will probably play things as close to the chest as possible

Dec 26, 2012

DLTN posted:

yeah that ones ok. a little easy but if your just starting out thats no big deal

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Awakening did a ton of new poo poo. Some of it was bad in a way that made the game too easy, but others, like the way the support system is what unlocks new sidequests and new characters, were slick as hell.

Dec 26, 2012

yeah the supports and the writing in general (not the main plot, like the character interactions) were better than standard

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i might trade my copy of awakening and my copy of pokemons in because i don't play either despite loving fire emblem

i'll just replay fe7 and 8 again on my psp

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

DLTN posted:

Hahaha you have the only other English fire emblem where they trivialize the game by throwing XP at you like candy

Play the one that's just called fire emblem

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
someone hacked 8's job system into 4 but gently caress anything before 6

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Hog Butcher posted:

someone hacked 8's job system into 4 but gently caress anything before 6

the only good thing about 8 was the kickass branching jobs and the kids you could have be pretty much everything. glad they kept some of the branching for later games but a lot of those jobs are just gone :(

shame about everything else.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Video Viddy Games posted:

Yes

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

I don't like fire emblem because strategy rpg's are something akin to vogon poetry

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Fire emblem is not a strategy rpg because there is something like zero strategy.

Dec 26, 2012

arguably theres not any rpg either. its a logistics game more or less

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Fire Emblem is an anime shipping game.

Dec 26, 2012

well now it is anyway

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Why the hell is the Wii Fire Emblem so expensive but the GBA,DS, and Gamecube Fire Emblems are so cheap?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the ds ones look like loving poo poo and the gba ones own so hard they reproduce by splitting.

i don't like the gamecube/wii ones either.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The first GBA one is great, I really like the GCN/Wii ones but a lot of people don't

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i think part of it is a factor of how boring the animations are in the GC version. the GBA version's criticals loving owned and the animations were fun

the gamecube one just felt like... ehh *swings sword boredly*

Dec 26, 2012

the wii one had some dumb poo poo with certain characters not being usable and the balance being all over the drat place but it also had some of the dopest fuckin maps. i like it because i know what characters arent going to be arbitrarily screwed over and how to abuse bexp to make iffy characters good

the gamecube one is ownage and is probably the most mechanically solid in the series. it looked like halfway between an n64 and a gamecube game though so yeah if those kickass 2d sprites are extremely your poo poo then you arent gonna get much from it

The Taint Reaper posted:

Why the hell is the Wii Fire Emblem so expensive but the GBA,DS, and Gamecube Fire Emblems are so cheap?

curious, where are you seeing the gamecube one cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I never had a wii and played that one with a friend. It's one of like two reasons I vaguely want a wii but not really

• Locked thread