Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
All the DJ hate is amusing but I love his swing. At least he's got that going for him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
I dunno that cupped left wrist is kinda wack

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
Faldo and Nobilo are currently banging on about how technology is making the game too easy and the scores on par 5s are to low blah blah blah we should introduce a new ball that spins more so on windy days it's even harder for everybody!

yes, great idea. Because golf isn't a fringe spectator sport as it is, so let's make every tournament a goddamn US Open grind

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
The only people who complain about that seem to be the oldies - "back in my day we hit 2 irons into par 5s for our third shots!".

The time it takes them to play a round now is long enough. In the same vein that "Big Hole Golf" is a good idea. Rounds would take an hour or so less because you're not stuffing around with lining up tricky short putts. I was skeptical at first but I think it would be great for time poor people and kids.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Halo14 posted:

The only people who complain about that seem to be the oldies - "back in my day we hit 2 irons into par 5s for our third shots!".

yes and it's ridiculous

In other news you gotta be impressed by Darren Clarke's transformation, and he seems like such a genuinely affable guy

And y'know compared with most sports, golf is kinda blessed with a plethora of likeable dudes

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Homestar Runner posted:

And y'know compared with most sports, golf is kinda blessed with a plethora of likeable dudes
Yeah, @The Open Live interviewed someone from the New York Times yesterday, who said he also covers other sports like tennis and the World Cup. He mentioned that golfers, in spite of their accents, are generally all very articulate, very good communicators. As an avid tennis fan, I have to say this is true.

I want to say part of the reason is because the golf swing is so technical, course management is so technical, and equipment is so technical, so to communicate with your instructor/caddy/equipment people, you have to learn how to communicate effectively.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 20, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rory says idgaf and hits driver off the 1st, 296 down the middle of the fairway. :getin:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 20, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
ABC/ESPN please let Ian McShane do the last TV intro as Al Swearengen, tia.

Al Swearengen posted:

"Welcome to the final day of 'The' loving Open, cocksuckers!"

Also: Kameh Garcia has Rors in his sights, time to make the Spanish attack.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 20, 2014

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Homestar Runner posted:

It's an odd sport in general: sure there are hyper-focused athletes, but there's also guys wandering around with a cigar, burning off the three bottles of wine they had with dinner the previous evening.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I think that rear end in a top hat whose cell phone went off messed up Sergio on the 11th a little bit. Every course should take after Augusta, ban cell phones.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
That's quite a fortunate bounce.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

All you kids out there...

Douchebag posted:

I think that rear end in a top hat whose cell phone went off messed up Sergio on the 11th a little bit. Every course should take after Augusta, ban cell phones.

These are multi-million dollar athletes, if they can't deal with some guy who paid a few hundred bucks to be there's cell phone ringing they don't deserve to be on tour.

Nice kick, sergio.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I need live blogging. Somebody cover Sergio's round for me in this thread like Tiger Tracker.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Taps in for par.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Josh Lyman posted:

I want to say part of the reason is because the golf swing is so technical, course management is so technical, and equipment is so technical, so to communicate with your instructor/caddy/equipment people, you have to learn how to communicate effectively.

I would almost say it's a socio-economic effect going on. I'd imagine the majority of pro golfers played A LOT of golf growing up, which means they probably had quite a bit of money, and thus they probably had decent educations.

I could be wrong of course, and I don't mean to generalize, but I would wager the average annual income of a pro golfer's parents are WAAAAYYYYY higher than that of just about any other sport. Wealthy people can usually afford to send their kids to good high schools and colleges.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
taps in for par. Rory pulls drive way left on 13

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

zinc68 posted:

taps in for par. Rory pulls drive way left on 13
:woop:

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Rory drops a shot on 13, Serg rips a low 3w down the pipe. Rory at 16, Serg at 14 under

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Down to 2 but Serg has gotta make a big push here because I can't see Rors giving up much ground on 15-18.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Well, Sergio's hosed.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Sergi-NOOOOOO

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
WELP.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Yup, unless Mac completely falls apart, this is over.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Serg rips a 330+ drive down the middle at 16. He needs to go eagle bird eagle to have a real shot.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Is he saying "Go Love!" or "No Love!"?

I think he's saying "No Love!" Mods? Have him removed.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
What I'm trying to say is that Rory is a little bitch.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Sergio's second into 16? I'm stuck on a highway for the next two hours. :(

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Kameh posted:

Sergio's second into 16? I'm stuck on a highway for the next two hours. :(
You're not gonna miss anything important.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You're not gonna miss anything important.

Serg has 25' for eagle, just short, tap in bird. Rory piped a drive 360 down the middle, 8/9i into

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Rory back to 3 up w/ tap in on 16.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Garcia with a beauty flighted 4i on 17 to about 10' for bird. Huge shot.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Fowler in the right side heather, Mac lays back w/ an iron, has to have at least 215 in from there.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Serg way off on that putt, that pretty much seals it for Rory. Garcia NEEDS an eagle at 18 and for Rory to go bogey-par, which isn't going to happen.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Garcia cuts corner on 18, ball stays left in the heather, but he will be able to go at it still, decent lie. Rory fans it to the right on 17, in 2nd cut but should be a pretty routine up & down for par.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Rory & Ricky in for par on 17.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Garcia with a 40' eagle chance coming up. He needs to make it, and needs Rory to bogey this easy 5er.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Rory blisters a 2i down the middle. Fowler nails driver, center cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Garcia misses putt just left, tap in bird. He will prob finish t-2 w/ Fowler.

• Locked thread