Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chiming in late for the praise, but goddamn is this show fun. Miyuki Sawashiro is just too perfect for Seo. She's basically playing a character that looks like Ayane but behaves like Chizu and I have a hard time not seeing that. Also, two weird things regarding two terrible shows that are incredibly popular:
  • I know that Yuuichi Nakamura has a fairly standard pretty boy voice, but every time Nozaki opens his mouth to insert his foot, I cannot help but to think of a :goonsay: version of Tatsuya from Mahouka and that makes me laugh like an idiot just imagining that.
  • Kashima basically reminds me of Yui Takamura, but instead of fighting aliens and getting over her PTSD by going tsundere for some American pretty boy :suicide:, she only has a couple of shrimps to fight in order to get beat up by her Senpai Hori's undivided attention. :swoon:
And finally:

I watched episode two and, taking into account the episode's name, I though it was going to be about Seo becoming the heroine. But no, the heroine was introduced to us in the very first episode. Best heroine. :allears:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bondster posted:

Really glad someone else noticed that. I'll take a random Wakamoto voiceover!

I honestly don't know what's better: Wakamoto's narration spoiling the fact that Yamamoto shanked Ponsuke! or Nozaki's reaction to learning that fact.

Daisuke Ono was perfectly cast for the role of Maeno. :byodood: MAENOOOOOO!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Everything about this episode was perfect. Miyuki Sawashiro's doofy/evil laughter and slight embarrassed tone when being "confessed to", the Liberal Arts Clubs kids getting all territorial and Waka being almost as big of a dork as Mikorin. My favorite part, though? Nozaki having a series of small nervous breakdowns / tsukkomi reactions due to Wakamatsu being an idiot.

I haven't laughed this hard at an anime since, I don't know, Nichibros? Servant x Service?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bakanogami posted:

Seo is still the best part of the show, even when the rest is already pretty good. Hope they get to the other bits with her like the movie theater.

Does anybody know if Miyuki Sawashiro actually did the singing parts, too?

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if she did. She has a phenomenally adaptable voice. When I first met her, she could easily imitate:
  • Shizuka Ito
  • Youko Hikasa
  • Nobuyuki Hiyama (shouting and all! :allears:)
  • Ryota Kozuka
  • Nana Mizuki
  • Yuuichi Nakamura
  • Tomokazu Sugita

Hell, she even got my voice right. The only thing she couldn't imitate was my broken-rear end accent. So yeah, I cannot sing enough praises about her. :haw:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gyre posted:

I'm well aware that Japanese prefer "du" because what we hear as "z" is actually an allomorph of "d", but most English readers will prefer "zu" because they don't know that rule. They're not using Nihon-shiki or kunrei-shiki romanization consistently anyway, or Kashima would be Kasima.

It's one thing to write romanized Japanese for a Japanese audience, quite another to write it for English speakers.

Aside from that, there are a lot of other befuddling errors, like on this page (compare the translated scene in the anime): http://www.batoto.net/read/_/47504/gekkan-shoujo-nozaki-kun_v1_ch4_by_panda-scans/8

Aren't these the same guys that do speed scanlation releases on the Big 3? Or am I confusing them with a different, animal-themed scanlation group? (Off the big 3, I only follow One Piece, and that already has an official translation).

darkgray posted:

Is it common to see scanlations with "un"?

This reminds me of one of the Cats in Monster Hunter 3, for some reason.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god. The NTR enthusiast pose killed me.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only musician here, but am I the only one who feels like busting out a jam on your instrument of choice every time that opening starts playing? :dance:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Waka never had a chance, did he?

Waka x Seo for best couple in everything. :kimchi:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, I imagine a second season will come out at some point. I'm coming across tons of fan art and I'd say that doesn't happen with some random anime.

And speaking of which, I love this piece with the characters going out on a Halloween night:

There's also a lot of Paras/Chiyo jokes getting around -- hope that doesn't become a meme.

I'm just glad to know that Mikorin's still the best heroine. :kimchi:

Also, we need a second season. I don't think I can separate the characters from their VA's anymore. Chiyo was especially good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Finally caught up with the last episode...

Poor Ken-san: You suffer for our amusement. Also: God. DAMMIT NOZAKI! :argh: I know it's a parody of shoujo manga and that one of the people involved in that moment is sort of okay with the current arrangement but that felt like an emotional punch in the testicles. :arghfist::saddowns:

I really really enjoyed this show. I'm unsure whether this, Barakamon or Sabagebu! is my favorite comedy show this year.

Lay it on me, wiser goons: Did you managed to enjoy the anime just the same even after experiencing the manga? Should I venture into enjoying this sweet piece of comedy in black and white 4-koma?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nondevor posted:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the first 12 chapters or so have a pretty bad translation. So if that's not your thing, the anime covered those pretty well while excising a few jokes here and there.

Another group picked up the manga afterwards, so everything from 12 on is fine.

Isn't there a legal way to read this online? Like with Nichibros?

e: vvvv I meant in Japanese. vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 29, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sweet! Now I can enjoy the dorkiness while on the bus! :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Compendium posted:

What the hell is Mahouka doing on that list.

I mean I know WHY, but still

Reminding people that imouto-moe will never die. :suicide:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Supersonic Shine posted:

Nozaki knows, he just thinks Sakura already knows the two of them are dating.

Those fancomics are not canon!

(but I wish they were :blush:)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't know this show had OVAs.

All rolled together, they come close to an average episode's length. I think it's less that they're OVA's and more like Bonuses for the DVD/BD releases.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:aaaaa:

I don't want to know what's next in store.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pyroi posted:

When is the chapter where Nozaki sets up a Twitter?

When I read this, all I could think about was that tuba and whistle song that sometimes played when the anime wanted to portray something both adorable and dumb.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

I can't for the life of me remember that song. Got an example handy?

I believe this is the song

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

That link did not look too trustworthy, so I looked for some clips that might have it and found what might still be my favorite little arc.

http://youtu.be/4_ZNw1giwf4

Seo and Waka on the roof is its competition

Seo and Waka on the roof is as cringe-worthy as you can get without going full Prison School or Watamote. It's like that pilot episode of Archer at the end where he shoots that guy because the guy is disgusted at the fact that Archer got an erection imagining his mom dying. It's awkward, it's ugly and downright stupid because even Nozaki, bless his doofus heart, gets embarrassed listening to Waka trying to clear things up with Seo. Nozaki is that best friend who forced you to accompany him to serenade his future wife at 10PM in the middle of school week. He's basically Sakamoto 1.0

And I love that scene.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Aw dang, aw dang. :blush:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god, my heart was not ready. :cawg:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wish there was a combination of :ughh: :doh: and :cawg: so I could explain all the conflicting feelings of having to read a Nozaki-centric chapter.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god! I can't breathe. Why are these dumb kids so adorable?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't realize how much I missed Yuzuki's dumb brother.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, lil' Kashima. :stonk:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maeno's only the excuse as to why editor Miyamae is always so stressed out and fat. Nozaki and these lovable dweebs are the real reason.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, what's next? Sakura and Nozaki finally 'fessing up?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The chapters where Hori and Kashima finally put 2 + 2 were solid platinum. Also, like with Maki in Kaguya-sama, being Ken-san is suffering. :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chiyo, STOP.