Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have the link to the last draft? Wouldn't mind seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Paulocaust posted:

29th is actually really good but I will trade it because I am also good

I'll give you #22 for #29. I'll even throw in the rights to Alex Radulov to sweeten the deal.

Danny LaFever posted:

Anyone have the link to the last draft? Wouldn't mind seeing it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3542096

e: I was just looking over it again and Jonathan Rheault is easily the most baffling pick of the whole draft.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 16, 2014

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Starsfan posted:

The pressure of potentially screwing up and picking Taylor Hall 2nd overall is too much for me, I will trade my spot in the draft to anyone in the 10-20 middle range of the order. I feel like last time having two picks that happened more or less right after eachother caused me to reach on some players I figured I needed because I wouldn't get to pick again in 55 odd selections. Anyone who is interested in that range can claim my spot and we'll switch.

Tay Tay owns and was not a screw up :argh:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Twin Cinema posted:

Tay Tay owns and was not a screw up :argh:

I'm definitely not picking him, but he's justifiable. There are only a handful of active NHLers who have scored at the rate Hall has in the last three seasons. I wouldn't build my team around a winger, but if you're ok doing that, he's a good choice. He obviously wouldn't have come back around.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I was hoping for something really early and easy but really late is fun too glad to be gone from the nebulous middle

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 16, 2014

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Do you guys think Brent Burns is a good 4th overall pick???

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Verviticus posted:

i think vjeff should get howard as his first pick if he doesnt finish his toxx by then

And then watch Howard swing a .965 even strength save percentage next season because gently caress you goalies.

e: Also I'd up for trading my #24 for something close to the top or bottom of the order, if anyone is interested.

tofes posted:

Do you guys think Brent Burns is a good 4th overall pick???

I don't know - what's his punch corsi?

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 16, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

It's all about the ends of the snake. With that I may actually get the team I want, so long as ONLY ONE PLAYER falls to 27th. Which means my entire top 6 will be gone by 25. A true long shot, but if 1-3 or 28-30 wanna trade gimme gimme.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

And just to stir the pot, is there any reason picks/players aren't allowed to be traded beyond the complication factor? I would be interested in seeing what sorts of trades would potentially develop, especially if we have to adhere to the cap.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Do we have to adhere to the cap? I thought we ditched that notion. Or was that just for the floor?

Also, can we trade players? I know picks is too complicated but players shouldn't be too hard to keep track of. At the very least can we trade players after the draft to round out line-ups and fill some needs?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No trades. It's a complication thing but also not really the point of the draft.

Afterwards sure, but be warned most people were kind of burned out at the end of the last draft.

Also boooooo Boomer the Cannon.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

First overall Brandon Dubinsky. Do it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Couldn't be assed to just show up and slap his keyboard until something vaguely resembling CORSBY came out. Yeesh.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Maybe he didn't expect the draft to start right away. He was around yesterday.

I expect the consensus pick to take a few hours anyway.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Holy poo poo, were moving quick. I didn't expect 1st overall again this time.

I'll have a pick by 9, I want to check capgeek first.

E: gently caress it, give me John Tavares. PPG player, 1c who's healthier and with a better cap hit than other comparable players.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 17, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well that was unexpected. I had my choice done assumimg Crosby would go #1.

I'll effort post in a bit once my kid is in bed, but there isn't a question in my mind.

Blackhawks take Sidney Crosby.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Zodijackylite is up. Then tofes and Danny LeFever. (e: And yeah I'm not consensus picking anyone in the first round. I'm sure some people just don't realize we started, this was quicker than expected. If someone needs to have their pick chosen for them already, we'll try to get a replacement instead.)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Holy hell Crosby didn't go first? :psyduck:

This is the weirdest draft.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Zodijackylite is up. Then tofes and Danny LeFever. (e: And yeah I'm not consensus picking anyone in the first round. I'm sure some people just don't realize we started, this was quicker than expected. If someone needs to have their pick chosen for them already, we'll try to get a replacement instead.)
If anyone doesn't show up I'd be down to be a replacement. I'm sad that I seem to have just missed out on the fun.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
BOOMER THE CANNON, GOING OFF THE BOARD. HE'S A MAVERICK. HE CAN'T BE STOPPED.

Kinda weird to say that Tavares is healthier when he missed the entire second half of the season though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Typical Goon posted:

If anyone doesn't show up I'd be down to be a replacement. I'm sad that I seem to have just missed out on the fun.

Stick around, I can pretty much guarantee you'll be needed. We had a couple replacements last time. I'll need help consensus picking too.

^ It's interesting how the top 4 centers in the league all now have injury question marks (well, there's a fifth I considered but I won't go there yet).

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
whoa hold up a second, we never finalized that exchange of picks Jordan. Crosby should be mine!

**The first mistake of the draft goes to Starsfan :(

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VJeff posted:

BOOMER THE CANNON, GOING OFF THE BOARD. HE'S A MAVERICK. HE CAN'T BE STOPPED.

Kinda weird to say that Tavares is healthier when he missed the entire second half of the season though.
Compared to Crosby, he's in better shape. A MCL/meniscus is nothing to dismiss, but he's missed less time than Crosby, doesn't have the head injury history AND comes in 3.3 million cheaper/season for PpG production. If there wasn't a cap (like last time), I'd go with Crosby, but Tavares is on a loving sweetheart deal for a player of his caliber, and for several seasons as well.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Starsfan posted:

whoa hold up a second, we never finalized that exchange of picks Jordan. Crosby should be mine!

**The first mistake of the draft goes to Starsfan :(

Haha, that's what I was thinking as I made the pick.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Compared to Crosby, he's in better shape. A MCL/meniscus is nothing to dismiss, but he's missed less time than Crosby, doesn't have the head injury history AND comes in 3.3 million cheaper/season for PpG production. If there wasn't a cap (like last time), I'd go with Crosby, but Tavares is on a loving sweetheart deal for a player of his caliber, and for several seasons as well.

This is the first round. You can go bargain hunting later on.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well I guess this answers the question of whether Tavares is the next Crosby or not.

(He's not).

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Again, I don't feel like there's that much of a drop-off.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
ya there's not much of a drop off between the guy with a career PPG of 1.4 and Tavares, who has scored a point per game exactly one time, and that was this year when he played 59 games

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
:lol: it starts and it is already glorious

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
how is the best player in the sport that underrated by some people holy crap

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Verviticus posted:

Were still talking about Tay Tay right?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Crosby's rookie season was better than any season Tavares has had ever

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

If that's the case, I'll pay 3 mil for 40 points elsewhere. Crosby's had a better supporting cast in the top 6 to get there than Tavares.

If money is no object and if injuries didn't matter, I'd take Crosby. Tavares is healthier, younger and 36% cheaper over the course of the contract.

Maybe there's a streak of Charles Wang or Eugene melnyk in me, or maybe I just like to live dangerously. I feel like dollar for dollar, Tavares will work better over the long term.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Tavares makes 63% of Crosby's caphit and comes with 64% of his production historically. Not the worst pick depending on how else he fills out the roster

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

His obsession with a dumb number makes him a steal for what he does, who cares if JT is also signed on the cheep.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

A Typical Goon posted:

Tavares makes 63% of Crosby's caphit and comes with 64% of his production historically. Not the worst pick depending on how else he fills out the roster

On the other hand, Crosby scores like 50% more for 50% more of a caphit and saving some bank on your franchise player so you can pick up a giant lovely whale contract later on makes no sense.

Also if anyone actually manages to bump up against the cap they are doing this wrong.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Maybe there's a streak of Charles Wang or Eugene melnyk in me, or maybe I just like to live dangerously. I feel like dollar for dollar, Tavares will work better over the long term.

What long term? Tavares is up for a new contract in 2018. The way contracts have been heading, do you think he's going to be making less than 10 mil? Crosby is signed for 8.7 until 2025, and he's been better than Tavares literally any way you want to measure it. Barring catastrophic injuries I don't think that's going to change. Even in the lockout year Crosby was injured, played 16 less games than Tavares, and he still outscored him.

8.7 a year for the best player in the world is a steal.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
lmao, only two picks in and it looks like this draft is going to be really fun.

But seriously passing on Crosby is ridiculous.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

What long term? Tavares is up for a new contract in 2018. The way contracts have been heading, do you think he's going to be making less than 10 mil?
No, but depending on the rest of the draft I've got the room to cover it. If things were to turn to poo poo, I can flip him at 5.5 and without a NMC, assuming its done in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

Crosby is so far and away the best player in the game that there really isn't a comparison. The only player who has been close to his ability level since the lockout isn't a center, and has a skill set that doesn't age particularly well. Crosby isn't quite at the Gretzky / Lemieux tier (though he's closer if you factor in overall league scoring, he's not as dominant as either of them), but he's certainly in the next tier, the guys just below the absolute best of all time.

He's led the league in PPG for the last three seasons. He's never finished outside of the top 10. He can score 50 goals for you, or put up an assist per game. His worst ever season (in terms of production) was markedly better than Tavares' best.

All that being said, thanks for letting him drop! :)

• Locked thread