Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just to elaborate on why cheaping out on your early picks is silly, there's $2.07 billion worth of cap space in the league and $1.826 billion worth of cap hits. That's including the bad dumb contracts and the Prongers/Savards. Even once the remaining RFAs are signed, there will be around $200 million in total cap space in the league or $6.7 million per team. So you have to pick above average contracts to even get a team right up to the cap. That's also ignoring the fact that you won't even get a chance to pick up some of the good and expensive players because they'll be long gone by the fifth round or so. I'm sure if you specifically pick the most expensive players every chance you get, you can get way over the cap... but why would you do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Crosby had 84 assists in his second year as a professional.

Tavares' career high in points is 81

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I respect that Crosby understands that, after a certain point, the difference between career earnings of xx million dollars vs. yy million dollars is essentially meaningless if you aren't having sex boat parties.

I donno, obviously Crosby is unquestionably a better player in nearly all facets of the game, but it depends your gambling attitude. Do you bet on the safer pick, happy to sacrifice return in exchange for odds, or do you put your money on the brain injured superstar? I mean I would pick the concussion bonus in the time it takes to follow the finger with my left and and then my right eye, but it isn't like Tavares is some schlub. Crosby is the player of our generation if he survives his career. Maybe Boomer knows something we don't regarding that. Maybe we should call the FBI.

And drat, this started fast.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Crosby had 84 assists in his second year as a professional.

Yeah but to be fair he got to play 30% of his ES time with Colby Armstrong. I mean that's worth like 50 assists easy.

(real talk he spent a lot of time with Malkin, but man he spent a LOT of time with Armstrong)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Hahaha tavares first overall???

What in the flying gently caress

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
WHAT PART OF THE WORD "MAVERICK" DO YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND?!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I forgot Boomer picked first last time too (wtf) and took Crosby then. I guess not wanting to repeat the same draft is kind of a decent reason too, even if you haven't stated it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think it's funny to use Crosby's injury history as a mark against him too even though he's always come back and been just as good. Tavares, on the other hand, hasn't played a single game of competitive hockey since the Olympics and we have no idea how it might affect his game.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I think it took until Andrew Ladd to approach this level of controversy last time. This is appropriately enough shaping up to be like the second season of every reality show ever.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

I forgot Boomer picked first last time too (wtf) and took Crosby then. I guess not wanting to repeat the same draft is kind of a decent reason too, even if you haven't stated it.

I guess that is a reason but if I could draft almost the exact same team over again I would do it because that team was awesome, even with a few dud picks.

Also, this time around we're allowed to pick unsigned draftees who will certainly come on hella cheap ELCs.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I would argue Crosby has lost a step though, or (more accurately) his game has changed. He used to be so dynamic with his skating, just cutting in and driving the net while playing keep away his first few years. I feel like his game has moved away from that. He remains just as effective, apparently, so who knows if the change was his injuries or just his evolution as a player/student of the game. I just don't think he is as physical as he was. Which is a good way to, you know, not get brain damaged.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Two picks in and this is already a hoot!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Paulocaust posted:

29th is actually really good but I will trade it because I am also good

I will do this, if that's still an offer. It makes scheduling infinitely easier for me.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

ya there's not much of a drop off between the guy with a career PPG of 1.4 and Tavares, who has scored a point per game exactly one time, and that was this year when he played 59 games

To be fair, and I am not advocating for Tavares over Crosby in any way, Tavares missed the PPG mark two years in a row by one point each year. With that said, Crosby has always scored above a PPG, and is at 1.4 PPG for his career.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
more like John Tavarass.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Stickarts posted:

I would argue Crosby has lost a step though, or (more accurately) his game has changed. He used to be so dynamic with his skating, just cutting in and driving the net while playing keep away his first few years. I feel like his game has moved away from that. He remains just as effective, apparently, so who knows if the change was his injuries or just his evolution as a player/student of the game. I just don't think he is as physical as he was. Which is a good way to, you know, not get brain damaged.

Yeah he doesn't engage hulk mode along the boards as much as he used to. On the other hand his decision making and timing are better than ever. His shot is also much better than it was his first few years in the league.

The best hockey he ever played was right before he got David Steckeled so I don't know if I'd say he's lost a step as that wasn't that long ago. That year he was insanely good. Every shift it was just scoring chance after scoring chance. His ability to tip in pucks that year was absurd too. He must have scored like seven or eight tip goals. He was on pace for something like 60/60. I dunno if he would have hit 60 goals but I think it was all but certain he'd hit 120 points. It was gonna be the best season by a player since like come back Lemieux. It's really too bad he got hurt.

Even though he hasn't quite got back to that level he's still far and away the best player in the league.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Will we have a google doc. Might get hard to just use the thread.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Dang I was hoping Crosby was going to fall to 4

edit: having such a high pick is actually quite boring, I would have preferred something lower to really have to look for a good player

tofes fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 17, 2014

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

tofes posted:

edit: having such a high pick is actually quite boring, I would have preferred something lower to really have to look for a good player

I'll trade you my gem of the #15 pick. Never be bored when you're the most average pick!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
yeah can we get the spreadsheet going? we're only two picks in (i think, jordan said 'thanks for not picking Crosby' so i assume he's taking him) and it's already hard to keep track of.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yeah can we get the spreadsheet going? we're only two picks in (i think, jordan said 'thanks for not picking Crosby' so i assume he's taking him) and it's already hard to keep track of.

Yeah, making a basic one now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stickarts posted:

I will do this, if that's still an offer. It makes scheduling infinitely easier for me.

Noted. Are there any other trades so far?

e: wait you guys are like 2 picks apart. I'm not sure that's what paulocast meant

e2: HERE IS THE LINK TO THE SPREADHSEET: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a80PmyvcOnXidTbKzsd0mkxjVKIP1LoiHcXtMuUMKjU/edit?usp=sharing

I am a government employee this summer and our idea of what is a modern internet browser is perhaps not the same as the rest of the world's. I'm lucky I got this working at all basically. I'll pretty it up at a later time. The first round draft order is in there at least.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 17, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

tofes posted:

:qq:

Don't worry, there are more rounds.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 17, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

haha yea, I know Paulo and I are almost pick neighbours, but my job is such that I could be working days anywhere from 6 to 14 hours long, anywhere from 4-7 days a week, making my availability fairly to completely unpredictable. The closer to an end I am the easier it will be for me to make timely picks as I won't have to frantically try to catch up on X number of picks or try and follow the thread in moments where I really don't have time. I will essentially have like a week in between picks to get my poo poo in order/catch up on in-thread discussion. I'm doing this for you!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't mind, but paulo would need to confirm it.

I PMd zletters. On that note, if you don't have PMs and want a heads up when it's your pick, you can send me an email and I will email you when you're on deck. If you do have PMs I'll try to PM you. I can't promise I'll be prompt with this during the entire draft, but if it speeds it up.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

you should maybe put it in the OP

i added team names and filled out the second round too so we're good to go for a while

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't mind, but paulo would need to confirm it.

I PMd zletters. On that note, if you don't have PMs and want a heads up when it's your pick, you can send me an email and I will email you when you're on deck. If you do have PMs I'll try to PM you. I can't promise I'll be prompt with this during the entire draft, but if it speeds it up.

Yeah I'll trade if it makes things easier. What am I now? 22?

E: 27. Good enough.

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 17, 2014

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Who made the spreadsheet last time around? It was great and had lots of stuff automatically calculated.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Who made the spreadsheet last time around? It was great and had lots of stuff automatically calculated.

I did the calculation stuff

The only issue was it started to choke google docs as we got further into the draft

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zodijackass should just get the active player with the most cups.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Jordan7hm posted:

I did the calculation stuff

The only issue was it started to choke google docs as we got further into the draft
Cut the doc at 15 players and start a second one.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
great early pace we've got going here

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is pretty brutal.

Was Zletters good in the last thread?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
hard to say, he really only posted his own draft picks last time and he was towards the end of the order so there weren't a ton of long periods between when he was up

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I say we kill him!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This isn't an ideal way to start, but as I said I'm not consensus picking someone in the first round.

If someone who doesn't have a team wants a team, post here. At 6pm EST (or thereabouts, at 6pm I'll be out shopping for a gift, but I should be able to take 2 minutes to look at my phone) if zletters hasn't posted, the team is yours.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Jordan7hm posted:

This isn't an ideal way to start, but as I said I'm not consensus picking someone in the first round.

If someone who doesn't have a team wants a team, post here. At 6pm EST (or thereabouts, at 6pm I'll be out shopping for a gift, but I should be able to take 2 minutes to look at my phone) if zletters hasn't posted, the team is yours.

You did it for Ottawa at 6th overall before I took the team last time around. ;)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rutkowski posted:

You did it for Ottawa at 6th overall before I took the team last time around. ;)

(that wasn't me)

+ also we ended up replacing the GM there anyway, which is kind of my point

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Just move everyone up a spot and give him the 30th pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tofes posted:

Just move everyone up a spot and give him the 30th pick

um. Actually I could do this even though no kidding that's your suggestion.

Other people's thoughts? It gives up more time to find a replacement if that's the route we go at least.

• Locked thread