Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Wednesday morning, leaving the rig south of Lodgepole.

The ol' Dodge didn't like it much, even after being plugged in all night. But, with 441k kms, I guess its got good reason to.

Someone listened to reason and called off the move today.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

My fuel economy has totally tanked in this weather.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Any news on this? I had my phone on silent and didn't hear the actual alert but saw it on my phone a few minutes later. Turned off the dryer and held off on the dishwasher.

It would suuuuck having a brownout when its like this.

e:
https://globalnews.ca/news/10224558/alberta-grid-alert-day-two-polar-vortex/

ee:
In case you've never seen it, this is a live view of the grid and all power plants.
http://ets.aeso.ca/ets_web/ip/Market/Reports/CSDReportServlet

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 14, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, looks like we're getting out the worst of it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Last night wasn't the coldest of the weekend at -41 but it was so loving humid.

I'm glad it's over and we're back into the balmy -20s for the week.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Any news on this? I had my phone on silent and didn't hear the actual alert but saw it on my phone a few minutes later. Turned off the dryer and held off on the dishwasher.

It would suuuuck having a brownout when its like this.

e:
https://globalnews.ca/news/10224558/alberta-grid-alert-day-two-polar-vortex/

According to a followup article on the CBC, that Leif Sollid guy stated consumption dropped 100 MW within seconds of the alert, plus another 100 in a few minutes, and nobody went into blackout over this. Also, apparently this is the first time our grid has dug into battery storage.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Battery storage......but our Dear Leader says that batteries don't work?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Walking around in -10 this morning without a jacket, feeling like a spring day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

And just like that, on the way back to double digits.

Gonna be sloppy as gently caress next week. I suspect by sunday a good portion of my lawn will once again be visible.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

slidebite posted:

And just like that, on the way back to double digits.

Gonna be sloppy as gently caress next week. I suspect by sunday a good portion of my lawn will once again be visible.

going to put a bottle or two of washer fluid in the trunk i think

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
drat son, the fam and I will be in Calgary next week so hopefully the warm weather stays.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LOL

14 degrees and a heavy snowfall warning.

'berta!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I've been doing the spring cleaning and I still have this thing that Amazon sent me by mistake. Do any of youse guys have a use for it? if so pm me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I only grease my stuff like once a decade.

I've been doing some rural drives, and i was not ready for the "rusted out shitbox truck overloaded with hay bails" to be 08+ F350s.

it still feels like they should be 70s fords and square body chevies.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I've been doing the spring cleaning and I still have this thing that Amazon sent me by mistake. Do any of youse guys have a use for it? if so pm me.

If you would ship it to the US, I would totally use it. But fellow Canadian AI members should get first dibs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

it still feels like they should be 70s fords and square body chevies.

Worth too much now. Ford probably sold more 2010s slab-side F150s to accountants in Alberta than they ever sold any 70s F-truck to Albertans period.

I've been saying for awhile now that a modern build-your-own-locost kit should start with sourcing parts from a domestic pickup truck, because we have more of those than anything.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Worth too much now. Ford probably sold more 2010s slab-side F150s to accountants in Alberta than they ever sold any 70s F-truck to Albertans period.

I've been saying for awhile now that a modern build-your-own-locost kit should start with sourcing parts from a domestic pickup truck, because we have more of those than anything.

It's true, the sheer amount of fleet spec atlas F150's leaving Alberta at auction is absolutely staggering.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

poo poo now I wish I hadn't scrapped what was left of the black gmt800, halfton locost would own

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Turbo Fondant posted:

poo poo now I wish I hadn't scrapped what was left of the black gmt800, halfton locost would own

You had to scrap it, there was literally nothing left of it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah good point, the giant chunks of missing frame wouldn't have made for a very good sports car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Turbo Fondant posted:

Yeah good point, the giant chunks of missing frame wouldn't have made for a very good sports car.

We can make our own frame. There's a railroad nearby and Slung loves to weld. Even British people made a sportscar, how hard can it be?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I mean if British sports cars are your example then it's pretty hard if you want it to function and be not on fire

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

To be fair, in England in the era most british sports cars were built, your only option for most things were "non-functioning" or "on fire",

I'm trying to get some poo poo I'll need this summer at auction and people with money are ruining everything.

$225 + $33.75 fees = $258.75

$130 + $19.50 fees = $149.50, and they go on sale all the time for $99.

I guess it's good if you've got stuff to sell, but i think everybody being pushed into watching auctions online has ruined the chance of good deals in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

princess just had some baker scaffolds on sale 2 weeks back for.... I thinkkk... $200? I bought a couple.